Kate Somerville Anti Bac Clearing Lotion

3.7

Active Ingredient: Benzoyl Peroxide 5.0% Water, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Allyl Methacrylates Crosspolymer, Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Extract, Behenyl Alcohol, Acrylates/Beheneth-25 Methacrylate Copolymer, Disodium EDTA, Butylene Glycol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Hydroxide, Chlorphenesin.

on 10/16/2012 5:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Only been using this one day but I woke up with a clear face. I have sensitive, prone to redness skin. Also, my skin is dry, not oily at all like this treatment is targeted to. My acne comes from my rosacea and centers around my cheeks and forehead.
I applied very little, almost comical how little cream I applied. The blemishes on my cheeks completely disappeared. The bumps on my forehead did not but it's only been a day so obviously not enough time to judge.
When I woke up, the spots I put the lotion on were dry and kinda flaky but it was fine because I put my day lotion over it and the dryness was covered.
I just wish it came in a smaller size because in my case, it would only be used sparingly and with very little amounts.

EDIT: I used this product some more and I have to say it's not for regular use (for my skin type). Maybe once in a blue moon it will work but I used it 3 days in a row and it made my face explode. To be fair, I used it in combination with a salicylic acid product but SA doesn't make me break out ever. It's just too strong for my sensitive skin. I do think it probably works wonders on people with "tougher" faces.

on 5/30/2012 6:42:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

OMG OMG this little baby is soooooo good. Let me tell you about my skin. Well its combination/oily, acne prone, dehydrated, and scars from previous acne. I had alot of congestion happening on my forehead and side of my check I'm talking about those little cluster spots that dont come to head and are not painful they're just there. Anyways I went into mecca for a new foundation and the makeup artist recommended i use this as an all over lotion to prevent contamination from one pimple to spread to other areas. Anywho I thought ummmmm sample please as I was not too convinced but let me tell you this has worked wonders. The congestion that was on my forehead is literally gone within 10 days and I also use this for other ugly pimples and this just dries them up making them smaller in size. For me this is an absolute winner thanks to this my forehead is smooth and congestion free. I definitely suggest get a sample first as it may not work for everyone as we are all unique and its pretty pricey. Also I dont use this as an all over lotion as it may be too drying to my already combo skin where I have dry patches. Definitely will repurchase

on 6/23/2011 12:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

It gave me the worst reaction ever. My skin turned completely purple after the first use and was irritated. It didn't clear anything, so I just stopped using it.

on 1/21/2011 8:15:00 AM

Hair: Grey, Wavy, Coarse

I love the Kate Somerville line and I think this product alone gets rid of most of my acne. I get pretty severe acne like ever few weeks and it's probably because I don't use this all the time. I usually wait until my acne is REALLY bad and then I start using this again and within a week my acne is almost completely gone. It is drying, but I think all benzoyl peroxide products are and it isn't as drying as other things I've tried. It has sort of a slightly grainy texture, but I always wet my face a little or apply Fix + before putting it on and the grainyness seems nonexistent. It dries really quickly, but then it leaves sort of a chalky feeling to the skin. You can't see the chalkiness but you can feel it if you touch your skin. At night I'll use 15 pumps (which seems like a lot but that's just what I do) and I won't put a moisturizer over it and my face gets so tight I can't move my face at all. But in the morning I use 5 pumps and wait about 5 minutes and then put on my moisturizer and it only makes my face the tiniest bit tight... just enough to notice. I only gave the packaging a 3 because sometimes I'll push down the pump like 10 times and nothing comes out so it seems empty but then eventually it starts coming out again. For the price (I think it's like $40) I definitely think it should have more product, but then again I use a lot more than a normal person would. If you have acne troubles then I definitely recommend trying this out. You can probably get a sample from Sephora or just buy it and try it out for a little and if you hate it just return it.

on 11/8/2010 3:42:00 AM

This just didn't work for me. It really dried my skin out and didn't really clear the minor acne that I did have. In fact it gave me a few whiteheads. I dunno, something in here cancelled out the power of the benzoyl peroxide. I was looking forward to replacing my perscription with this but it just didn't work out. Also didn't like the lotions grainy texture, this is due to the "encapsulated" benzoyl peroxide. Leaves a strange film on the skin as well.

on 10/17/2010 4:02:00 PM

This stuff really flattened out my pimples overnight! My skin is noticeably clearer from using this stuff, it definitely helps to kill the acne bacteria that causes pimples and zits but it doesn't do anything for clogged or congested pores, I needed a clay treatment for my congestion. I love that this isn't a harsh acne product, it's very effective but it doesn't sting, burn, or turn me red. It has a drying effect, but let me better explain the drying effect though, it doesn't dry out my skin to the point that it flakes or feels super tight, it just dries up oiliness, has a mattifying effect, and preps your skin for moisturizer. The Sephora rep stressed that I need to use moisturizer over this and I totally agree, I like that it prevents my regular moisturizer and tinted moisturizer from looking oily. When I use my TM directly over this stuff, it actually prevents my TM from getting oily throughout the day. A bit pricey but actually relatively cheap in comparison to other Kate Somerville products.

UPDATE

I think this product has a short efficacy span, after a few months of using it it just stopped being effective and did nothing for my acne.

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. I feel as though it works WONDERS on my skin most of the time.... However, I hate how harsh BP tends to feel on my skin and I hate the idea of the possible long term effects. I do always come back to it whenever I'm having a bad breakout though, it clears my skin like nothing else!

on 1/18/2010 4:27:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really, really wanted to like this after all the good reviews here. I have figured out the benzoyl peroxide works for me way better than anything else, and I figured this might be less harsh than some other BP treatments I've tried. Unfortunately, I've been using it morning and night for the last month and there is absolutely no difference in my skin. I wouldn't say it's worse, but definitely not ANY clearer. At least with persa gel, I can definitely see that it's working, I just wish it wasn't so drying. Now trying DDF 5% BP gel and hoping for a better result.

on 12/2/2009 10:03:00 PM

Life saver. Best product in the anti-bac line. Try it, you will not be disappointed!

on 5/22/2009 11:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Well, I was really hoping I'd like this, but it was too harsh for me. My skin is sensitive to some products, and this one was one of them. It made my face feel hot and itchy and just really dried it out. It did seem to clear up a few zits after a day or two though... I think that it would definitely help someone with less sensitive skin!

Popular Treatments (Face)