April 20, 2014 | 1022 users online

Hair Color - Colorful - Neutral Protein Filler

image 0image 1image 2

rated 4 of 5 on 7/16/2013 8:59:00 PM More reviews by Dlou

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Received this and immediately used it--I have baby fine hair that I've been putting through the wringer this summer. Highlighted it, then did it again. . .then dyed it a couple of times, then did some spray in streaks. I don't know why I was being such a lunatic. And I ended up with hair that glowed orange in the sunlight. Quel Drag. So I bought this stuff and some medium ash blonde Color Charm dye (7A) mixed with a dash of Nice N Easy 116 light golden brown + 20 developer, and colored my hair last night.

It is a nuisance that you have to put the filler in your own spray bottle, but I did it and saturated my hair, sat for 20 minutes, then dyed it. And it does look really good! No more orange, a nice light golden brown, and my hair feels surprisingly healthy. I do think that using the filler means the dye turns out darker, and color charm comes up dark any way, but I'm ok with my hair this color as long as the dreaded electric carrot look is gone. It really is a surprise and relief to feel that my hair is less damaged and porous after dying, and I will use this stuff again. It felt dry after, but I put on some intensive conditioner and just left it in--my hair loved it. I would give this filler a 5 rating, but the packaging was annoying and the price (with shipping, from Sally's) too high.
Sally's--you need to open a branch in Manhattan!!! C'mon!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2013 7:59:00 PM More reviews by Xelos

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have fine easily damaged naturally blonde hair. It also has an annoying tendency to get brassy unless I allow the color to properly develop for the proper amount of time--something my fragile, Scandinavian hair does not often tolerate well. I have found this product to be a major breakthrough for me in this battle!

I have noticed other reviewers here expecting this product to directly take care of brassiness, and while it does not take care of that issue, it does allow users to keep color products on the hair long enough to process properly and prevent brassiness and/or prevent show-through grays. Actually I am guessing on that second part, as I do not yet have any grays--the one up side to having super fine ash blonde hair is that we tend to go gray very late in life if ever.

My only wish is that they would make this product in a spray or mousse form, which would save the trouble of having to put it into a spray bottle myself. For that reason it gets a 1 on packaging.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/7/2013 12:03:00 PM More reviews by earl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I think I had an allergic reaction to this even though I've been coloring my hair for 25 yrs. my lips got real tingly and I hurried and removed and took benedry. but, anywho, its a good thing I removed early because it dried my hair out pretty bad.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by SHOESLAVE

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I always use this before coloring my hair. I think it gives me a more uniform color especially on the lower part of my hair (for reference, I have med brown hair below my shoulders). When coloring your hair a dark color, the color takes more so to the lower part of the hair coming out darker than the rest due to porosity. I find this seems to alleviate that problem, although, this did not prevent hot roots for me. I think preventing hot roots is more so w/the color, developer and timing it right than anything else. Also, a reviewer on here complained this did not help cover her gray. I don't think this product is meant to do that. There are other products that do that. Will continue to use this and recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/29/2012 9:01:00 PM More reviews by littlehousebigvacation

I think Makeupjunkie35 explains hot to use and all the benefits of this product. I followed her instructions and had great results. I will repurchase this again and will probably stock up.

I've been suffering from "hot roots" for awhile. Doesn't seem to matter if I get a salon dye job or home dye job.

After using this and then applying the dye, I have very even color from roots. I could not be happier with the results.

If the "hot roots" make an appearance, I'll edit this and update my review.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2012 7:18:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie35

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I used the 4oz bottle of Colorful Neutral Protein Filler that you see pictured (blue labeling). What I did:

1. Skipped shampoo and used a good conditioner in the shower for detangling purposes, and rinsed out.
2. Used a wide tooth comb to detangle.
3. Put hair up in a towel to get most of the water out.
4. Poured 3/4 bottle of protein filler into a spray bottle (as I have near waist length hair in the back), then apply all over and extra on the ends -comb through.
5. Twisted up hair and watched tv for at least 20 minutes. *Do NOT rinse out after the 20 min, but just blot excess instead.
6. Sectioned off hair (only doing a root touch-up), I started applying hair color in the back first, working my way up and forward. *If I were doing a full head, I would do the length of my hair first, leaving the roots for last (being the heat from the scalp will speed up the process causing the roots to turn out much lighter than the rest of my hair, which = uneven color).
7. I had used Revlon Colorsilk in 04 Ultra Light Natural Blonde. After I had fully applied it where needed, I let it develop for an hour being I have strong yellow/red undertones (from my Scott/Irish/Cherokee background no doubt). And of course, after this I rinsed really well, then followed up with the awesome conditioner that is included with this colorant -leaving in for at least 10 minutes while I shave ect.
8. Marveled at how beautiful my hair color turned out, and was amazed at how healthy/strong it feels. (My natural hair color is a level 7, and I lighten to at least a level 10).

I have been coloring my own hair, for the most part, since the early 90's, and WISH that I had known about/used something like this protein filler before & during coloring. I love the difference it has made in protecting my hair -making it stronger, and ensuring more even color results. Love the results it gives and love the price! But you do need to pick up a spray bottle as it's consistency is like water. This will make all the difference in even distribution. I HIGHLY recommend!!

23 out of 24 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2012 6:57:00 PM More reviews by hollyms

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It did not give me completely even distribution of color, nor did it prevent ANY brassiness from occuring at the roots (what can I say, I have lots of red tones in my brunette hair to start with, so am extremely prone to brassiness.) It did, however, keep my hair healthy and cut down on the brassiness so that it's hardly even noticeable. Overall, I'd use it again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2012 12:30:00 PM More reviews by monicaandree

All I can say is WOW! I have been coloring my hair all different shades from blonde to red to brown and black for 15 years, and this stuff is the bee's knees! I just used it for the first time and the results are so good I had to write a review right away. I bleached some highlights into my hair 2 weeks ago. For reference my hair was colored chocolate brown and after bleaching, I tinted a honey shade. I liked the results, but seeing as how I am a natural blonde, highlights like these are challenging to maintain as I constantly have to darken my re-growth or risk looking two toned. I saw a new shade of Garnier hair color (Spiced Cider) and fell in love with it, but I knew if I put color with a red undertone on top of my bleached streaks, I would wind up with a reddish, muddy mess (especially on my virgin, wheat colored roots). So, I doused my hair with the protein filler. Basically, I wetted a brush and ran it through until my hair was slightly damp, then spray an ounce of this stuff until it was soaked. Then I tied it up, waited 20 minutes, and proceeded to apply color. After processing for 25 minutes, I rinsed, conditioned, and dried and was absolutely amazed at the results. Not only does my hair now look EXACTLY like the color on the box, the color is completely even from root to tip. None of that reddish blonde crap at the roots or highlights - just striking, even, rich color. That said, you can still see highlights in my hair. There are definitely tones and highlights, but they are all even - no spotting or uneven streaks to be found. This is an excellent product and IMO everyone should use this before coloring. I am going to stock up on a large bottle and make it part of my routine. One caveat - be sure to buy a spray bottle dedicated just for this. You need to spray it and it comes in a pour bottle.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 10:32:00 PM More reviews by Zoek

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I use this every time I color, and definitely feel my hair is in better condition when I use it as a pre-color treatment. Highly recommend!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/8/2012 1:16:00 PM More reviews by melyndaw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Having read so many positive reviews of this product - I had high expectations when trying it out for the first time. It is difficult to apply product to hair, given that it has the consistancy of water - so, definitely a drippy mess. But that part is not the most disappointing - the most disappointing is that it did nothing to improve the color adhering to gray hairs - they're still there darn it!! It did seem to add overall vibrancy to color that did saturate hair strands. Not sure I will bother any more with this product, since it didn't improve gray coverage.