December 21, 2014 | 1601 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 3 of 5 on 8/9/2014 10:29:00 AM More reviews by perisnale

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

so fun fact i bought this in the shade 7 1/2 'medium ash blonde' by accident - i was originally planning on getting the excellence creme in the similar shade 8.1 'natural ash blonde,' but being tired and jetlagged in cvs i just grabbed the first loreal box that looked right. i don't know if i should have exchanged it - i ended up using the superior preference anyways last night, and while there seems to be minimal to no damage (the conditioner is great and smells amazing) there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of change. my hair before dying was a medium/dark warm brown with about an inch of black roots, and after dying the only change seems to be that the brown is more neutral (due to the ash) and my roots are dark brown.

i'll give the colour about a week and maybe come back, since in the past i've experienced significant lightening after a couple shampoos with other hair dyes, but at the moment i'm pretty disappointed. i was aiming for a light neutral brown, and was hoping that the 7 1/2, being a couple shades lighter than my desired result, could help me achieve that.

i will add, though, that although my hair is pretty thin it's pretty dye resistant, so if the colour doesn't lighten eventually i may redye with either the same colour or a shade lighter. apart from the disappointing results the overall dye experience was quite nice.

PROS:
- smells bearable
- easy to apply gel
- gloves fit
- conditioner is great and there's a good amount of it (supposed to last sixes uses)
- no damage on fine/normal hair

CONS:
- minimal colour change on medium/dark brown hair (originally black)

rated 2 of 5 on 8/7/2014 1:09:00 AM More reviews by sunshine702

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Loreal Performing preference has gorgeous unique blonde options. I tried Rose Gold on the night I saw my first grey /white hairs coming in. I'm in a service industry and needed to look young or I will end up being let go. I loved the color a really glamorous warm blonde but it didn't cover my grays at all. If I were younger definately but I need gray coverage in my hair dye even if the color isn't as good.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/6/2014 11:54:00 PM More reviews by jianing23

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

color was okay, i had 3 Brasilia, very natural black with a golden brown undertone

however really damaged my hair :/

rated 3 of 5 on 7/29/2014 10:26:00 PM More reviews by brk008

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Hmm. Well... I started with my natural born-again virgin medium brown hair. Added Lightest Golden Brown (6.5). Waited 25 minutes. Ended with... Hmm. Not really sure. It's not my natural medium brown hair. It's definitely not the color on the box. It's vaguely reddish brown. It looks as if the color didnt lift at all. I checked the box multiple times before I purchased, and it was recommended for dark blonde to dark brown hair. I figured it was safe because even if I overestimated how "medium brown" my hair is, it was recommended for dark brown hair as well. But the color didnt lighten at all. It turned out almost like it was just a glaze. However, unlike a glaze, this color definitely damaged my hair. I could see new breakage as I was blow drying. I don't hate the color, but I feel like I cant trust the box anymore, so I will not be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/13/2014 12:34:00 AM More reviews by djd1950

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used Excellence for several years but prefer the more gel-like consistency of Preference. I have fine hair which grows fast and is entirely gray in some sections and at least 50% in the others. I consider it medium brown but I think in hairdresser-speak it's light brown. I mix half a bottle Medium brown natural and half a bottle of Medium brown ash (in a bowl with ml markings) to counteract the tendency towards warmth, which I denied for several years until:
1) I saw a photo taken outside in which my hair appeared to be on fire; and
2) A sales assistant pointed me to a blush which would go well "with your red hair."

This product cannot be healthy...nothing with this toxic stink could be...I wonder if Erin Brockovich uses hair dye...anyway...it works. Gray gone, hair shiny. I'm always trying new tricks to prevent the toxic sludge from getting in my eyes and ears...this time I used a Palmer's Cocoa Butter stick around the hairline and it mostly worked..

Eventually the professional highlights from last November show through again, but that's ok. With CVS sale and coupons each box was about $5.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2013 5:36:00 AM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

I am really surprised at how good this home dye is. I originally bought the Cool Dark (Ash) Brown which is the US name and I'm not sure of the shade in the UK. I chose it as I didn't want reddish/brown grey roots on my currently darkest brown hair and the colour came out great. I find the newer formula with the oil you have to add very runny so I only added half the vial to the mixture and the consistency was less runny. My hair was shiny even though it felt quite straw like when wet, and my scalp didn't burn which was one of the reasons I felt I had to give up ammonia formulations. It left a few greys untouched (my greys are very resistant) but not enough to notice. I've since used it in Brasilia - Dark Brown and although I was very worried at first as it looked black and nothing like the lighter Brasilia colour on the old style packaging, it faded to darkest brown, except on my ends which are prone to colour buildup. Again, it left my hair feeling a bit like straw but after deep conditioning with oils it looks really shiny, but nothing like the bird's nest I was left with when I tried Colorsilk. It stank to high heaven but still - unlike ammonia-free Colorsilk - never burned. I've also tried the Paris shade (Natural Dark Brown), Caracas (Dark Mahogany Brown, again looks different to the shade on the old packaging but comes out fine) and the Deep Golden Brown (what can I say, it was a freebie and I get bored easily. Although the golden brown didn't lift my darker colour at all despite what it showed on the box, it gave my hair a rich colour and evened it out very well. I now realise I have to concentrate on first applying this dye just to my roots, pulling the colour through to my ends for the last five minutes to avoid colour build-up.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2013 8:15:00 PM More reviews by beecky

I've been using this for years. I have long, pretty thick naturally dark ash blonde hair and have been dying it a dark ash brown/almost black color for years. This is always my dye of choice, especially when I can't afford to go to a salon which is usually the case nowadays. My hair always turns out great, feeling very healthy with a brilliant shine. I use the color dark brown which is now called "Brasilia". It's the darkest brown I think there is in the line, and the color is very true to the one on the box. I know this may not be the case for all shades, but this color in the shade I use is absolutely perfect. I tried Feria once and it was awful ! However Preference is wonderful. I can't believe how shiny and healthy my hair feels after dying it. It's fantastic :)

rated 4 of 5 on 12/19/2013 11:01:00 AM More reviews by Obezyanka

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Oh my gosh where to start... Okay the (few) negatives.

It can get messy.
The gloves were a little small for my boyfriend's man hands, but we're used to this.
It doesn't smell great like my old favorite Garnier Nutrisse.

But THE COLOR was INCREDIBLE!!! It was exactly like the box.

*I used Light Amber Brown because after extensive bleaching the lower ends of my hair would turn green-grey from anything labeled "ash" or "neutral/natural".
*The color is vibrant and shiny and more like what the ads will make you expect from Feria (although I've never gotten these results with Feria...)
*This product did not irritate my scalp like SO many others I've tried over the years, and my hair feels soft. I sometimes get that dreaded stretchy melted plastic hair after coloring but not this time. And my hair has been bleached in the past so...

ANYWAYS the best part about this product was the shocking discovery I made about my hair. I have naturally dark blonde hair. It's mousey, ashy, and dingy which is why I began dying it in the first place. And you always hear "Stay close to your natural color, keep to your natural tone" so for years I've been using ash tones and staying away from warmer shades for fear of looking like a carrot....And while this worked well for my platinum hair which was NEVER brassy, once I got into the darker blondes and browns I realized my hair just looked DULL. And so in search of ends that do not turn green I bought this "amber" color. And omg... My skin looks amazing. My blue-grey eyes look amazing. I don't look weird and sallow and all this time I'd assumed since I'm naturally ashen haired I'd look bad with a red tint. I'm pale but not pink and I struggle to find makeup to suit but I never imagined this would work for me. My whole hair dye outlook is changed!!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/12/2013 6:08:00 PM More reviews by Fluffysealion

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have black hair and used the colour 5A medium ash brown. I don't think that the colour I ended up with was the same as on the packaging, but that's to be expected when you have dark hair like mine. It did do a very good job of dying my black hair without bleach, and the colour isn't as ash brown as I expected, but still a very nice colour. The colour didn't wash out when I showered.

My only complaint is the smell. The smell was very strong, stronger than most home dye kits.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/5/2013 1:29:00 AM More reviews by panizak

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

It won't give you the colour that shows on, or at the back of the box. not even close! I have medium ash brown hair and the only reason I dye my hair is because of my grey hairs. I just used an "ash" shade of this hair colour to dye my roots and now my roots has an awful copper/red shine, and it doesn't look "ash" brown at all! It has orange undertone:(
I am so upset, and recommend you not to use this product at all! Don't even try it or you would regret like me.