August 20, 2014 | 1940 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Superior Preference Hair Colour

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2013 12:23:00 AM More reviews by brownsugarncutie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's been about 2 months since the salon and my roots have grown about an inch. My hair was dark ash brown but my roots were black. I used the 7.5 medium ash blonde. I did the roots first and then the rest of my head. The whole process took up about an hour but this was not my first time dying my own hair so it may take longer for the first timers.

I am pleased with the results. The color matches what is on the box almost perfectly and my color is even all over. The damage was very minimal even though I went several shades lighter. I adore the big tube of conditioner that comes in the box.

I think this dye is a great value for what you get. I have very long hair so I used two boxes and they only cost $10 each. My color looks like it was done at a salon. Totally worth the $20.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2013 11:21:00 AM More reviews by pmburk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I recently bought this in Paris Couture Iced Golden Brown 5CG. My hair is naturally a light auburn brown, but I have a lot of gray. My hair is very coarse, extremely thick, and tends to be dry. I am in LOVE with this color. It came out exactly like the front of the box, and is a beautiful light golden brown with some definite cooler tones. A bit messy/drippy, but not so bad I couldn't deal with it. I will definitely repurchase several boxes of this to keep in stock!

rated 2 of 5 on 11/4/2013 10:33:00 PM More reviews by Luiance

My hair is black and hard to dye (Asian hair), so when I saw a video on a L'Oreal hair dye and the youtuber used this brand with fantastic results, I decided to try it too. Usually I'll need a blonde hair dye to make my hair brown, but this time I chose the Light Natural Brown. First of all, when the developer and the color gel is mixed together, the chemical smell is horrific. My eyes stung and I had to keep my face away while mixing the dye. Revlon's $3 cheap dye never smelled this terrible. The dye is drippy but application process went relatively okay. After waiting for 35 minutes, I rinsed it out and used the conditioner. The results? ORANGE roots. I applied tips of my hair first and moved upwards, last on the roots, and this was how it turned out. It looked akin to the brassiness of 2-month-old dyed hair. The rest of my hair didn't hold the color at all. What a waste of 9 dollars.
I will go back to using blonde hair dyes from Revlon.

Two lippies because the conditioner is pretty good and there was a generous amount.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/1/2013 4:00:00 PM More reviews by justanotheraveragegirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had previously died my hair red, about four months prior to using this product. I bought a shade of brown, thinking it would look nice and was very close to my natural shade. However, I found it very messy to use and it had awfully strong fumes. Also my hair turned out a very dark purple, even though I followed all of the directions and it turned out the right colour in the sample test. After a week it still drips colour whenever it gets wet.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/2/2013 6:55:00 PM More reviews by vanessadoll

I would not buy preference again. about 10 min into dyeing my hair I felt sick and had to dye my hair outside because of its strong smell. It was also very drippy and made a mess. The color in the end was very close to how I wanted it, I got a medium brown but has golden tones from my previous color.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2013 5:02:00 AM More reviews by wildcardinside

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm so happy with this hair dye. My hair colour is naturally a medium brown with strong golden copper undertones in it.

I have dyed my hair both semi permanent and non perm. red, about 6 or 7 times now in the last few years and I have never been impressed with any of the results. I always opted for auburns or mahoganys because I was afraid of the pure intense reds, yet every single time my hair turned out 6 shades darker than what it is and I just don't want that. I wanted my hair to be a lot redder, but without darkening the brown intensely. This time I decided I wanted a more copper toned red so I went for number 150 which is "intense amber auburn" and I'm so pleased I did. My hair is around the same shade as before in regards to darkness, of course slightly darker but not too noticeable, and has a really noticeable coppery red tone to it now. The dye comes with a special oil you are supposed to add to the dye to assist in keeping hair hydrated. Finally pleased with a hair dye I have bought :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2013 2:26:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I just used this in Soft Black over hendigoed hair as I seemed to have developed a rash on my neck from the indigo (I've used pure body art quality no additive henna many times so I know it was the indigo). Anywho, it was premixed together in the form of Light Mountain henna brand - only 2 ingredients were indigo, henna - no metallic salts or anything. You can use ANY chemical over PURE henna (except when you BLEACH indigo it turns green) no matter what they tell you in beauty school - they are talking about dangerous compound hennas that are readily available in like health food/beauty stores and contain metallic salts - the real stuff u usually have to order online)). I kind of unevenly applied it and parts of my hair looked black, parts brown. So I was scoping out black dyes and I decided to go with this for my first one, since I used to use it in Intense Red Copper last year all the time and it was great. Although I chose soft black, the color is JET BLACK. I love it!!! I know from the red colors that this line does not fade. When I was using the red copper, it was able to lift my dark brown hair and make it truly gloriously red with minimal damage. Plus, I used Feria over it, bleached over it, hennaed/indigoed over it, all to no ill effects (lucky me I know). I am used to using drying herbs on my head lately, and when i rinsed this dye (which was a breeze, didnt stain anything, skin stains came off easily w coconut oil and body wash in shower), it actually SOFTENED my hair!!! And that's before using the conditioner (which is wonderful)! Oh and if you're wondering the Soft Black uses a 20 volume developer; I'm not sure on the intense red copper as I didn't know about developers back then and wasn't checking. It says it right on the bottle. I left the black on for the prescribed 25 minutes. If I had one complaint is that it was a little liquidy and wouldn't pile on top of my head I had to use clips. I didn't cover or apply heat or anything. But, the coloring agent you pour into the developer is a liquid not a squeeze tube of cream like some brands. I would recommend this line. Next time, though, I am going w the Excellence line in Intense Blue Black as I think that sounds exciting. Haha. Plus it got better reviews than Preference, although Preference has won the Allure beauty awards like 4 yrs in a row. If you know you're going to use a loreal color the website has a fun shade quiz to get you some recommendations. Although my last bout with black was Feria Starry Nights, I had short hair I was cutting all the time and ppl say it's very damaging. Plus I don't see a difference in the color payoff. Try the Preference... There is a reason it won the home color award for 4 years! Happy hair coloring.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2013 6:56:00 PM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Just finished using light ash brown (6A) it comes out like a medium chocolate color, I can still some brassy parts but overall did a good job, hair is soft and shiny and I hope that I get at least one month out of this dye, had great luck with Colorsilk in light ash brown and it was wearing like iron but it was time to color my roots, Colorsilk comes a true dark ash brown and I wanted one step lighter hair for summer.
My scalp got a little irritated, left the product on for 30 minutes, next time I will probably will go with 25 minutes.
I had to recolor because the more I washed it the lighter and redder it got.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2013 11:03:00 AM More reviews by heathermrm

I have only used this product when I wanted light blonde hair a few years ago. Back then, it worked very well for me and I have nothing bad to say about it (no drying, easy process, smell no more offensive than other haircoloring kits, very pretty/non-brassy blonde), but as the years have gone on, I find myself drawn to either foaming hair coloring kits for ease of usage (John Frieda is my favorite) or super cheap non-foaming (Revlon Colorsilk or Revlon Luxerious Colorsilk.)

Therefore, I can't see myself re-purchasing.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/26/2013 6:40:00 PM More reviews by coloritcrazy

I admit, I was scared to death to put another box dye on my hair. It's naturally dark ash blonde, but was dyed light red with blonde highlights.... about 6 months ago. I had at least 2 inches worth of dark roots and currently I'm trying to save up money for a trip out-of-state in August. A trip to the mid-cost salon is about $300 for me since my hair is thick and long.

After looking through the aisle of hair colors, I finally settled on Rose Gold Blonde 8RG. I was hoping to keep this strawberry blonde thing going.

The smell was pretty much what I expected. My hair seemed to dry out when working 2 bottles worth of dye through it. I kept it on until my entire hair seemed even with the coloring, about 40 minutes. When I washed the dye out though, it felt really soft, even before I applied the conditioner.

After blow drying -- it was perfect! The roots matched the rest of the color, and I'm so happy with it! I'll definitely be buying this particular brand and color again. I'm also happy I won't have to go so long before just being able to touch up the roots!