September 16, 2014 | 1890 users online

Palettes - Urban Decay - Deluxe Shadow Box

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2013 7:53:00 PM More reviews by kaylaarias

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I saw that this was on sale for $10 and decided to try it because I had never had UD eyeshadow before. The packaging of the palette is absolutely stunning. It has a silver chain-like arrangement on the front (not sure how to describe it) and it's covered in purple velvet. It closes with a hidden magnet which I love because I have had sets like this that were difficult to open. It has 9 shadows. The pigmentation was about what I would expect. I know that I will probably never use some colors like Zero (too dark, not sure when I would use black eyeshadow) or Graffiti (just not fond of that shade of green) but it's a nice variety. It came with a primer potion AND two eyeshadow brushes which was amazing for the price. The mirror is a little small but for the price I really can't complain. This definitely turned me onto UD eyeshadow palettes and I am very happy with this purchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2013 4:24:00 PM More reviews by curlylocks

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I gotta admit, I bought this a little bit on a whim after buying a few UD shadows and liking the texture. When this was on sale for $10 on the UD website, I figured I could get SOME kinda use out of it. Little did I realize just how versatile those colors really are! I mean, at a glance, they look kinda out there for this 44 year old suburban mom of 2, but wow, with the right tools and application, you can make it natural day to full on dazzling. The shimmer is perfect, not 'glittery', the wear is wonderful, and the color payoff is beyond compare. I have always been a MAC follower, but move over. UD is in da house!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2013 6:43:00 PM More reviews by pigmentpro

Was lucky to score this on sale at Urban Decays website for 12$. Im always impressed with UD's prouducts as their casings aren't made cheap. This one comes in a velvet case with some metal beading on the top, opening it up to 9 gorgeous pigmented shadows and a travel sized eye primer. Urban Decays shadow colors always continue to attract me and they have great quality and fun colors. If you like to work with bold, bright shadows and some neutrals, this is a great palette to have. Im just glad I got it on sale :) Keep checking Urban Decays website because they are always having a sale on palettes and also Ebay for cheaper prices than retail in the stores.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2013 2:45:00 PM More reviews by Createdbeauty

Amazing! Great pigment, beautiful colors. No creasing with primer potion (I also use a NYX pencil in milk over UDPP to get the pan color instantly. It's on sale at UD website for $10! Pick one up before they're gone forever! Fishnet and ransom make for an awesome smoky eye! I'm a makeup artist and bought a few extras for myself and my kit! Get one before these buttery textures shades are gone! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 7/27/2013 4:26:00 PM More reviews by bamagirl417

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I haven't ever bought vivid eyeshadows because I never believed I could pull them off, but I saw this was on sale for like 1/4 of the price and snagged it on impulse. I am surprised to say that I actually use it! Sure, I don't do crazy psychedelic eyes every day, but this adds so much variety to my makeup options. Throw in the colors with the neutrals in the Naked and Naked2 palettes and you have about a million different things you can do with your eyes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2013 5:15:00 PM More reviews by missmanic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I am *so* pleasently surprised with this eyeshadow palette. I own a few other UD palettes, and while they are far from "poor" quality shadows, these deluxe shades just blow them out of the water. They are so much more creamy, pigmented and smooth than regular Urban Decay eyeshadows. These are seriously like butter. I am so happy with this palette, and got it for $13 at Ulta! The packaging is adorable and practical - no fancy schmancy pop ups or bulky add ons (ahem, book of shadows). I would have prefered a brush or gloss mini, as opposed to the foam tip applicators it comes with, but I still am smitten.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2013 2:36:00 PM More reviews by anastacy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this on sale this year (after this has been out for so many years). I always wanted it but found that it was not a practical purchase because of the lack of neutral and matte shades. I love the bright shades in this palette and I'd recommend it to anyone new to UD. With an expansive UD collection, this palette may seem pointless but it isnt. Shades such as Peace and Honey are classics and I cant think of any comparables shades by UD or any other brand in my collection. Many of the shades in the palette are going to be discontinued according to my knowledge so this is a definite must have for a UD junkie like myself.

As expected the formula is highly pigmented, shimmery and buttery. As mentioned before, this palette cant stand on its own as there are no matte or transition shades for blending. I'm glad I got this on sale because I really had a problem with paying full price for it, not that its not worth it but its a kind of special occassion / glam night type of palette.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/24/2013 1:17:00 PM More reviews by AmyAngel96

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just got this since it was on sale at UD, and I had a $5 off coupon code. I'd been looking at it forever but never gave in and bought it. Now I wonder what I was waiting for! This is at least tied with my UD Ammo palette as my favorite of all time. The shadows are very pigmented and go on easily and smoothly. I have super-oily lids but they stayed on fine with a primer, though I'm still searching out the best primer for me.

I just did a look yesterday with Peace on the center of the lid, Grafitti on the inner third, Ransom on the outer third and a bit of the crease, Honey on the inner corner, and Fishnet in and blended just above the crease. It was super-bright and colorful and looked amazing! I'm a huge fan of this palette and wish I'd bought it long before now.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2013 5:50:00 PM More reviews by ProstheticAesthetics

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I am a huge fan of Urban Decay, particularly their eyeshadow palettes. At the moment I own the preen palette, Naked2, the feminine palette (2011), the 15 year anniversary palette, and this little beauty. I discovered Urban Decay too late to purchase this product when it first came out, but after some searching found it on BeautyBay.com for a very reasonable 22. I was a little dubious as to whether it was the real deal, seeing as it was discontinued at this point, but after the Official Urban Decay facebook page confirmed that it was, I went ahead and nagged my fiance for it for Valentines.
First of all, I'll comment on the packaging. It comes in the traditional UD deep purple velvet packaging, with a very cute "bling" design in the center which I have a fetish for touching for some reason. It's a very nice size for handbags and travelling, and closes firmly with the magnetic lid. When you open it up you see the mouthwateringly beautiful nine shades and two sponge applicators against an understated (particularly for UD), but chic white base. Some minor detail of purple flowers and birds adorn the inner lid, along with a good sized mirror.
The eyeshadows are, of course, of spectacular quality. As they are deluxe shadows, they're supposed to be a "touch" more special than the ordinary UD colours, but I don't think they're any different. To be honest, I don't see how the deluxe formula can be better than the original formula anyway. I truly believe that no other makeup company makes eyeshadows as pigmented and as special as UD.

Fishnet - Metallic pinky purple with violet shift. Reminds me of a pink version of Omen from the 15 year anniversary palette. A gorgeous, flirty colour, nice paired with Ransom.

Honey - A beautiful true metallic gold. Nice in the inner corner with Graffiti in the outer corner for a bold look. Haven't seen another UD colour quite like it. Suits its name very well.

Ransom - Gorgeous dark bluey purple metallic. Apparently one of the most popular deluxe shadows, and I can see why! Nice in the crease and outer v paired with Peace.

Graffiti - Ugh, this colour is just stunning! My favourite of the bunch - Beautiful jewel tone, inbetween grass green and emerald green. BEAUTIFUL.

Zero - A very nice black with slight sparkle, though if you're looking for a true matte black, Blackout is probably better. Zero tends to lean on the dark grey shade when blended. Perfect to create a smokey eye with any of the other colours.

Peace - Beautiful eyepopping turquoise. Extremely pigmented and strangely very versatile. It's VERY similar to Painkiller (found in the preen or show pony palette). Infact, I'd go as far to say that it's a dupe.

Shag - (Great name for us Brits, eh?) Warm coppery gold with slight gold sparkle. Very pretty.

Scratch - Shimmery taupey pink. Similar to Snatch, though I think Scratch is more pink and doesn't have all the annoying glitter that Snatch has.

Underground - Metallic silvery taupe. Leans towards the cool side. Gorgeous for a neutral smokey eye.

As mentioned previously, all shadows are of the best quality. I happen to like the two sponge applicators also, as I find they transfer colour better than brushes, though it's absolutely essential to use brushes to blend properly. All the colours are workable, even the bright ones. (I managed to create a gorgeous look using Peace all over the inner 3/4s of my lid, Ransom in the outer v, Fishnet buffed into the crease, Honey in the tear duct, and Graffiti in the inner corner) The balance of brights with neutrals is nice, however, it is missing a highlighter shade (not really an issue for me as I have a few hanging around.) Overall I would wholeheartedly recommend this palette. You can create fun, bold, but also soft and natural looks too. Quality product!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/29/2013 9:37:00 PM More reviews by camidumas

I love, love this palette, which I got at half-price from UD's site so it was a terrific bargain. The shadows are wonderfully pigmented and go on smoothly. It has a lovely mix of funky colors and practical neutrals, so makes a nice travel palette. You can build anything from demure daytime to a wild party look with just these nine colors, which I think would flatter any complexion.

Maybelline has a palette closely duping Honey, Scratch and Underground, which I also bought (proving I would indeed buy this again) and didn't realize just HOW dupe was dupe until I got home. Good thing I only paid a dollar for it! The Maybelline shadows are also under-pigmented by comparison.

The applicators are the least 'deluxe' part of the set, but they're above average for sponge tips (caught in a pinch, I used them, and the results were acceptable). Also, I have travel-size brushes that fit into the applicator slot so you can upgrade the space yourself. (I tried putting in the trial-size Primer Potion it comes with, but it is too fat.) The packaging has the same suede as Naked I, except in purple instead of brown, and with a square of silver lame' on the front. I thought it might attract cat hair or lint but it's been a month and it still looks fine.

Scratch and Fishnet blend to a color similar to Laura Mercier's African Violet - but one African Violet costs more than this entire kit.

Even my cat likes this box; she got Graffiti on her nose (she considers herself the house package inspector) and had her green schnozz smugly in the air all day.