April 16, 2014 | 1397 users online

Treatments - La Roche Posay - Cicaplast

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2013 12:45:00 AM More reviews by outdoorsgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Thanks to a MUA'er who sent me a private message (my apologies for not remembering the name but a big thank you) recommending this product as the Avene Cicalfate Creme had made me break out big time.

Off to the local drugstore I went to get this product and so far, so good. The texture is much lighter and has a lotion consistency whereas the Avene Cicalfate is a very heavy cream. I apply the LRP Cicaplast in the morning as a primer (thanks to Lisa Eldridge's tip for those battling acne) as it does seem to make a difference, especially with the dryness.

My chin is an acne battleground at the moment (perimenopause) and I'm using MetroGel to combat it. Consequently, that area tends to get a bit dry and the LRP Cicaplast seems to help. The cosmetician told me that the Cicaplast acts as a 'barrier' (Lisa Eldridge mentions using this as a 'primer' before applying makeup) and it looks like it's the case.
Interestingly enough, this cosmetician also mentioned that people who love LRP seem to not do well with Avene and vice versa. Hmmm...

I can't use the traditional makeup primers due to the silicone in them and even though the LRP has silicone in it, I haven't had any breakouts. (touch wood)
Go figure.

I'll edit my review after further road testing but so far, I'm relieved this combats my acne dryness.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2013 3:18:00 PM More reviews by ninjalips

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I usually don't have luck with LPR products even though their Toleraine series seems like an ideal choice for me; super sensitive with particularly bad reactions to fragrance. Nevertheless, I wanted to try Cicaplast having read good reviews about it and having used a similar product (Avene Cicalfate). I washed with a gentle soap-free, fragrance-free cleanser and waited 30 minutes as I usually do in order to avoid over sensitising my skin. The moment Cicaplast touched my skin it started to burn. At first it didn't get red so I waited, big mistake. Within ten minutes my face felt on fire with red blothes all over it, even on my neck and started itching. My throat, which is also hyper sensitive started feeling dry and raw. I have a lot of skin reactions in my time but this was one of the worst I ever had. It was scary, actually! After washing it off, it continued to burn for a few hours and the following day I had red pieces of skin peeling off my face and the general rash and raw redness continued for a week. I do recommend that super sensitive ppl like me to certainly do a patch test before putting it on their face, maybe behind their ear to avoid what I had. I wish I did. LPR Cicaplast gets a big NO from me. For my skin Avene in general and in particular Cicalfate seem to be a far better choice. This experience warned me to be very cautious regarding LPR as I don't think they're as gentle as they claim to be.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/25/2012 5:56:00 PM More reviews by frostbites

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

LRP never ever suited my skin. never. i don't know what is it about their products because i love Avene, another thermal water based line.
you might say: sheesh, what an unhelpful review. should have known better you LRP incompatible time waster etc.
but i got suckered into this little experiment thanks to (being gullible) Lisa Eldridge. she uses this as a primer.
and there are quite a few others who had a reaction similar to mine, so i figured: might as well write something.

i have Avene's Cicalfate which has the consistency of a nappy cream and well...doesn't do very much. it sits on my skin.
suffice to say i am done with LRP for all eternity.
oh the PAIN. the redness.
the burning PAIN and redness this caused. it was INTENSE. i have had peels that hurt less. Avene's Triacneal caused a less intense reaction than this. this warrants the use of caps lock.
my skin can handle ahas and Avene's retinaldehyde. but Cicaplast....oh me oh my.
both the pain and the redness subsided after half an hour but why put myself through this ever again.

luckily i got a free sample, no money lost.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2012 9:19:00 AM More reviews by Shettyprianca

Before purchasing this product, I read rave reviews about its effect on chapped skin , acne scars etc.

After good research , I decided to buy cicaplast. I had popped a pimple and had to save myself from getting a huge blemish.
The day i tried this on my skin, my skin turned RED, Bright RED. First, burning sensation, then bright red skin.

I was so looking forward to use this one and so disappointed now. I am not sure what exactly from the ingredients is turning me red.

I was told by LRP rep that this is used as post peel treatment, if this turns me red now , what would happen if i use it post peel.

Thank goodness, i bought a smaller tube , cost me much less than bigger tube!

Please check if you are allergic to the ingredients before you buy this one, It worked for others, but not for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/7/2012 1:27:00 PM More reviews by yum_yum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought Cicaplast Pro-Recovery to use as a makeup primer which wouldn't dry out / irritate my skin. The healing/ protecting aspect that LRP claims it has, was a bonus.
It didn't dry out my skin and worked well / looked nice under makeup. It's lighter than other silicone-y primers, some of the ingredients absorb so it doesn't all sit on your skin - very comfortable to wear.
For more protection and moisture, I prefer LRP's new Baume B5, which I reviewed. But Pro-Recovery is a nicer base for makeup, more lightweight feeling on skin, more 'slip' - but not too much, and comes in a slim tube like the ADerma repair cream so fits well in your handbag.
One thing disappoints me: because it forms a barrier more than heals (in my opinion) it isn't as good for healing / smoothing slightly chapped lips before lipstick application; the Baume B5 and the ADerma are better at this.
Weighing up uses and price (13 for 40ml) I give it 3-4 lippies for price as a primer, but may be 5 as an all-purpose cream, because for the level of healing / moisture required by my skin, the Aderma is better priced. Packaging is great. I have repurchased. Not the best repair / protector I've ever used, but possibly the nicest *combined* primer / repair product.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/19/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by geektastic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I use Cicaplast for two main purposes: 1) I picked at a pimple, or popped it before it was ready, and the area is raw and tender 2) when I have over-treated a pimple and it needs makeup but is flaky and icky and no way will foundation go over it. For the first purpose, I think it does form a protective barrier, but I don't really see any miraculous healing. For the second purpose, which is what appears to be the main cause of raves here, it does perform very well. I may try Avene Cicalfate instead for the first purpose. Also, I am sorry to report - I believe this product has been DISCONTINUED. The skincarerx website says so, and it is nowhere to be found on the LRP website. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2012 4:40:00 AM More reviews by FrankieVercammen

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I always had perfect skin until a year ago when I got a heavy case of rosacea. I am approaching 50 and have fair, very thin skin. The rosacea is finally healing now. I had bought Cicaplast because I stumbled on it in the pharmacy, and wanted to keep it for when my rosacea had cleared and I would have a chemical peeling to help even out the scars. But then I saw a make-up video on Youtube from Lisa Eldridge (lisaeldridgedotcom) on how to cover up acne skin. She uses Cicaplast as a primer. So I started using it, and it cleared the flaky skin patches in two days. I still have spots but they don't flake any longer, they heal better and the skin is smoother. The product - even a thin layer - does stick (the product mainly contains silicones) but I find that my skin really benefits from this artificial barrier, and it keeps me from plucking at my skin. I apply Vichy Dermablend foundation with a brush over the Cicaplast layer. The foundation stays in place well throughout the day. As an added bonus, at 12 CHF (= ca. 12 US dollars) for a tube, it is not expensive at all.
I have - as some reviewers have mentioned - experienced a tingling / itching feeling and some redness directly after applying Cicaplast - but this disappeared after 15-20 minutes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/2/2012 6:06:00 AM More reviews by silviabeloved

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This does what it claims to do. It calms your skin down and speeds up the healing process, I can't count how many times it has saved my sensitive skin from some nasty reaction. Most of the time, this is actually the only moisturizer I feel safe enough to use on my face, it's fragrance free, paraben free, and has an anti-bacteria adhension texture, and it REALLY does add moisture to your skin, which should be very basic for any moisturizer in theory, but sadly is not the case in reality, there are so many crappy moisturizers out there in the market (don't even get me started on that........) And since I use it as a moisturizer, and I never have the habit of using any kind of primer, I don't know if it helps with my makeup or not, I am usually the kind of girl that has the same look of makeup at the end of the day even on a hot humid summer day, but what I can be very sure is, it does my skin A LOT OF good.

One thing though, if your skin is damaged or too dry, it might hurt a bit when you first put this on the affected area, but the pain goes away very quickly.

Brilliant packaging, like most LRP products.

Edit: Did I mention how much I love the ingredient list? It's short and pack full of good stuff, including SODIUM HYALURONATE!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/23/2012 10:43:00 AM More reviews by carmenp

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't understand the fuss about this product.
It did nothing for me. Last winter, due to harsh weather, I had an area just over my lip and near my nose, which was red and flaky all the time and just wouldn't go away. Because it was so cold I switched to A-derma moiturizer which is similar to Trixera from Avene. It improved the rash for a few days until it got back. I tried this Cicaplast cream that I had read very good reviews here. But nope. It did nothing for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2012 8:41:00 AM More reviews by christineneogoh

I bought this after watching Lisa Elridge's video .. my skin is peeling really bad due to the cystic acne I have on my face. I look terrible with and without makeup its absolutely horrendous...

Anyway, that aside.. the area around the acne is flaky and awful so I removed my makeup and applied this on without anything else underneath it ... and after applying a thin layer and then applying the makeup .. I was like WOW!! Its flaky no more and the makeup just glides on and it sticks!! doesn't separate or cake! my makeup stayed on for the rest of the day without streaking!

The following day, I applied it over my moisturizer, makeup application was ok but during midday, my makeup separated and the flakes came out. Sad.. but I will try again...