Garnier Ultra-Lift Anti-Wrinkle Firming Eye Cream

2.9

on 4/23/2013 7:04:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

For the past 60+ days since Feb 23, 2013 I have had the same allergic reaction that many other reviewers have cited - stinging, burning, extreme redness (episcleritis) of the clear covering over what should be the "white" of the eye, swollen lower eyelids, red rash and a painful rash of bumps below both eyes. I have been to my primary care dr twice and an optometrist 3 times for these symptoms, and each time after ruling out viral conjunctivitis, the doctors site allergic conjunctivitis as the culprit. Because I moved just prior to the onset of the allergic symptoms, my primary care doctor's initial caution was to check and change the filters in our home. After finding that they were clean (but replacing them anyway) and spending a week or so on antibiotic drops and lubricating drops (I ceased use of all products on/around my eyes), the symptoms seemed to have cleared up. Slowly I started resuming my normal beauty rituals, and the problems recurred. Shortly thereafter, pollen season began, and the doctors (and I) assumed that tree pollen was the likely cause. After 3 visits to an optometrist, a couple weeks on a high-potency steroid drop and preservative-free rewetting drops, the symptoms seemed to diminish again. Shortly after discontinuing the drops and resuming my normal beauty program, the redness, bumps, puffiness, stinging, etc returned! Only after a 2nd visit to my primary care doctor with the same diagnosis of allergic conjunctivitis did I get frustrated and decide to start researching the moisturizing products that I had assumed were safe for use. While I am thrilled to have identified the probable cause of my extreme pain and suffering, I am also quite angry that a product with such widely experienced and significant side-effects would still be on shelves for purchase! I learned a valuable lesson - I will definitely be checking consumer reviews on any products I chose to put on my skin (and better yet, I'll be avoiding chemicals and opting for natural products from here on out)!

on 4/2/2013 2:24:00 PM

Horrible product. Ten minutes after the first application the skin around my eyes was all red and it looked like I had been burned. Took it off right away and returned it to Shoppers.

on 2/12/2013 1:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

wow! soooo glad I came and read reviews here. I thought I was the only one having the eye reaction.

so I used this directly under my eyes. About a minute later I had a terrible burning sensation directly where I used the cream. Redness followed.

Stay away and find another eye cream.

on 1/17/2013 8:58:00 PM

Using product for a few weeks now. Moisturizers nicely under eye, no sting or burn. No real change in eye area at this point.

on 1/4/2013 7:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I bought this the other day and I was excited to use it. I didn't look up the review on this product on MUA (I wish I had), and when I put it on that night, my eyes started to sting like crazy. I looked up the reviews on this, and most people got the same symptoms. I immediately washed the product from my eyes and my eyes were STILL stinging. I ended up forcing myself to cry to push the product out of my eyes which worked. Next day, everything is fine and then hours later my eyes start to become blurry! Never will I buy this again knowing it will worsen the condition of my eyes.

on 10/7/2012 6:05:00 AM

it needs to be blackboxed, if not taken off the market. I pray every day for my vision to return to normal. This is a travesty. The product is dangerous. Don't use it.

on 10/3/2012 10:47:00 AM

WOW I wish I read the reviews before trying this product. This is by far the WORST eye cream I have ever used and I couldn't be any more upset! I, too, had an awful, awful, awful reaction to this product. I used this product for a few weeks until I started noticing that my eyes burned, my eyesight became blurry, and the skin around my eyes become red, swollen, and started peeling like crazy. Every morning I woke up, my eyes would be swollen and stuck shut by a sort of crusty booger. I thought it was the worst outbreak of allergies, but quickly put two and two together and realized it was the eye cream!!!! It was honestly disgusting and I still cannot believe this product is still being sold! GOD AWFUL PRODUCT!!!!! Please save yourself the pain, torture and ugliness and find something else!!!!!

on 9/23/2012 3:12:00 PM

I have dry, aging skin and I have tried MANY creams. This cream really does the job. It goes on well, soaks in immediately, and leaves my skin smooth and firm. I wish the little bottlle was bigger...but oh well. Love it !

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

After 1 visit to my primary doctor, FOUR visits to an opthamologist, 2 rounds of oral steroids, 2 rounds of oral antibiotics, a week of topical steriods, a $97 bottle of antibiotic drops, multiple bottles of ReFresh OTC drops, FOUR scrapings of my inner eye lids to provide samples for hundreds or dollars worth of lab work/cultures, and SEVEN WEEKS OF CONSTANT PAIN, my doctor and I finally discovered that THIS GARNIER EYE CREAM was causing my infected eyes and skin infection around my eyes, not some Staph bacteria or foreign virus.

I had been using the cream without any issues for about 3 weeks. Then one night, I woke up at 2 AM with eye pain, but I couldn't open my eyes. They were literally sealed shut. I assumed I had pink eye, and went to my primary doctor. He was so shocked by what he saw in my eyes and around my eyes (on my skin), that he refereed me to an opthamologist and called right then and there to get me in within the HOUR. My opthamologist said it was in fact eye infections with an additional allergy/reaction - He told me that anything that leaked out of my eyes had then infected the skin around it. He called me in my first round of antibiotics and steroids and told me to replace my eye cream, mascara, liner, etc and for the next week, NO make up at all - only aquaphor around my eyes and on my lids. I did what he said and within 4 days, ALL of my symptoms were gone.

I went back to CVS, replaced my make up AND got a new jar of this eye cream JUST IN CASE I had accidentally passed my infection back into the product. Started using the eye cream after my showers (and had NOT put any make up on) and within 4 days, my symptoms were all back. I couldn't be outside - was even wearing sunglasses in my house because light caused such pain to my eyes. The skin around my eyes burned to the point I was putting ice packs on my face for relief.

Went back to the opthamologist. At this point, I had the PAINFUL procedure done where the doctor actually scrapes in the inside of your lower lids to obtain a sample for lab cultures...FOUR TIMES ON EACH EYE. Those labs went out, and my opthamologist said it could be Staph infection....put me on another round of oral antibiotics, another round of oral steroids, a $97 bottle of antibacterial drops because the brand (Vigamox) is the only eye drop that covers ALL forms of Staph, and gave me a topical steroid for around my eyes. Again, no make up, replace products, etc. Within 3 days, ALL SYMPTOMS gone again. I think I'm finally out of the woods...that super expensive antibacterial drop kicked it out of me. I go back to CVS a few days after I finished all the meds, boughtt all new products...again. Including another jar of this cream. This time, it took less than 48 hours for all of my symptoms to come back. They started back up on a Friday night. I stopped all products and started using the topical steroid around my eyes again (was out of the expensive drops). I called my doctor Monday morning because a light bulb went on - IT'S THE EYE CREAM! By Tuesday when I went into to see the doctor again, I had NO burning rash/pustuals on the skin around my eyes. I had NO crusting of my eyes when I woke up. I googled "Garnier Eye Cream Infection" and found these reviews and I was SHOCKED. My doctor told me to STOP using this product (obviously) and after looking over my charts and lab work, she came to the same conclusion I did - these awful symptoms ALWAYS came not because I had finished taking all the meds, but IMMEDIATELY after I started using this cream! I had been off meds for days at a time where I had no symptoms - but that was because I was putting aquaphor around my eyes rather than this cream.

Stay away! I contacted Garnier and a woman named Lori was very kinds and helpful. She told me that the company would reimburse me for my out of pocket expenses if I gathered receipts and a copy of my doctors notes. I'm in the process of doing all of that now because I have spent in excess of $400-500 on this (waiting for my out of pocket expenses for all of the lab work on those cultures).

The box says "opthamologist tested." I don't know about that. I do know that everyone reacts differently to different things. I WILL SAY, that I DO NOT HAVE SENSITIVE SKIN OR EYES. I don' wear contacts. I don't have any allergies. I have NEVER in my life had a reaction to ANYTHING like this before (obviously, or I wouldn't have kept buying new jars of the cream and putting myself through this).

This product DOES plump up your under eye, and if you use it with no issues, good. BUT I used it for weeks with NO problems and then all at once, I was in DYRE pain. So bad that I couldn't be outside/drive. My eye sockets felt like they were being scratched with sand paper. My skin BURNED. If you give this a try and wake up with eye crust or painful bumps around your eyes, DON'T ASSUME YOU HAVE PINK EYE. STOP USING THE PRODUCT, TAKE SOME BENADRYL AND KEEP YOUR EYES LUBRICATED WITH REFRESH INDIVIDUAL VIALS OF DROPS and sit tight. I can't even tell you the time and money I wasted on feeling so awful...all in the name of vanity and because of this product!

on 8/21/2012 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure

This product caused me serious eye problem Am now partially blinded by this product and taking legal action from the damages caused by this product to my eyes. I can no longer see as well after my skin on my eye had a serious side effect due to the products ingredients. The amount of swelling and pain and vision is not worth losing over a horrible product. I will be suing the company.