December 20, 2014 | 1755 users online

Hair - Great Lengths Hair Extensions

rated 1 of 5 on 12/17/2012 1:29:00 PM More reviews by ageleg

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have never tried Great Lengths Hair extensions, but I DO wear taped in hair wefts. I would never do a fusion or even micro bead install because they are not great for fine hair. As they grow out, they pull on the root of the hair and if you don't comb really carefully, they will pull your hair out. This would be better for coarser hair types.

If you want to try hair extensions, try taped in extensions, or even glue-ins. Tape is pretty gentle on the hair and if you remove it properly and wait for the remover to work, it does not damage your hair. Also, the wefts allow for more hair to be installed in the hair, so it looks more natural than fusion installs. I have been wearing tape (Supertape) extensions for about 4 years now and I do it myself. My hair has grown back in very healthy from a colouring mishap several years ago. I take them out every month, colour my roots (sometimes highlights as well) and then reinstall after about a week of rest and hair treatments on my natural hair.

This works for me. Thought I would share. If you want more info on this method, try the hairextensions101.com site/forum. Lots of great info there.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/30/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by haleydrk

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My hair has been thinning for the last few years. I panicked and went into a hair system instead of trying extensions first, and have been letting my hair grow back. It was finally long enough for extensions, and I decided to take the plunge and try Great Lengths, since they are the "cadillac of hair extensions". I got them in yesterday by an "expert". They look like straggly strings already and are getting tangled. I can't wait to get them out, and I've had them in for 25 hours!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/25/2012 9:50:00 AM More reviews by kwhite0513

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I had Great Lengths extensions put in and they were horribly attached! In the first day I lost 3 extensions. My natural hair is extremely fine but THICK!! The extensions attached to add length are very thin. You can see all of my natural hair. It looks like I'm wearing a toupee on the top of my head. It's only been 4 days since I got them and I haven't worn my hair down yet because of the thinness. Very disappointed with them!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/25/2012 9:36:00 AM More reviews by tequilaa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Bad bad bad.. I got them put in in January and was told if I took good care of them they could last 5 months or even more. Well most of the bonds did stay in my hair until I removed them but they did NOT stay looking great at all even with using the GL brush, salon products, etc.
After 1 month they looked like ratty strings which looked really hideous with my shorter thicker hair. By the second month they started to matt really badly even with constant brushing & good care. I seriously regret spending OVER $1000.. Overall the extensions lost a lot of their thickness and the quality deteriorated a lot very quickly. I do not recommend and I wouldnt try any type of fusion extensions again as they are not for long term wear and are too damaging.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/11/2012 10:32:00 PM More reviews by Sunny01

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I just got my great lengths hair taken out yesterday and I'm in shock.. my hair is 5 inches shorter and thinner than when i started this process its broken off and pretty much ruined. I refuse to go in public it's that bad. I even had an appointment tomorrow to get them put back in but had to cancel in fear of next removal i will have NO HAIR! Here's the story. My friend and i both got Great Lengths extensions put in from a certified Great Lengths salon. We both have light blond hair, fine hair.. mine being to ALMOST half way down my back.. I got them put in.. no problem.. went back for some normal maintenance to get a few more put in.. some trim ups etc. I had them taken out yesterday and i saw them sliding off and the girl was being very very careful with the whole process (taking them out, getting extra glue out and getting knots out) so i know it wasn't her fault I'm missing all this hair. Both me and my friend's (her's only missing 2 inches but her hair being shorter than mine when we started) hair being totally destroyed. I would not recommend this at all! If you have fine hair with a little damage from bleaching or over heating this will kill your hair! I joined this site to hopefully at least help one person in making the horrible decision i made..My normal hair stylist said that they were on too long (being 6 months) and that the glue cut off nutrients to my end of my hair so it pretty much died and broke off. I'm mentally sick over paying $1,500 and now being left with no hair and this horrible problem to deal with! PLEASE BEWARE!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2012 4:29:00 PM More reviews by ascrits

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

First, I have fine wavy hair. Second, the length of my hair when I had my first full set of Great Length Extensions put in was about shoulder blade length. I had always wanted to try extensions for thickness and length, so I researched what would be the best ones on the market. That brought me to Great Lengths. I found a studio in Barrington, IL that has a good reputation. First ones were put in Nov 2010. They last between 3-4 months before you want to have them redone because as your hair grows, you'll find it harder to prevent damage to your hair between your scalp and the extension. When I first had them replaced, I noticed my hair was thinner. Immediately, I knew it was caused by the extensions. The stylist/studio tries to convince you that your hair just "feels" thinner because you've now been used to the thickness of your extensions, but that's false. They cause a LOT of stress to your scalp and hair (weight of extension, the bond itself, combing your hair and getting it stuck, and when some bonds fall out and pull your own hair with it). The problem is: once you get these extensions, you don't want to stop. They are so addictive and if you have the money, you want to continue getting them. #1 because you LOVE the look, and #2 because you HAVE lost hair and now your hair is thinner than it was already. In Nov 2011, I had my 4th set of extensions in. Now it's Feb 2012. That's 16 months of extensions and about $6000+ spent. This last time, I purposely asked the stylist not to "blend" them with my own hair because I thought maybe it was the blending/layering that was causing my own hair to be thinner. I doubted it, but I didn't want to take any more chances. These are my last extensions for a long time, maybe permanently. To help get me through the sadness and disappointment (with what I did to my own hair), when I do eventually get these last ones removed, I bought a one piece 18" human hair clip-in extension and a human hair ponytail attachment. Let me just say I LOVED my Great Length Extensions. No one could tell they were not my own hair. But what I would suggest to all you ladies if you're considering putting them in is: find a recommended stylist who knows what she's doing. Mine did. Because she knew my hair was fine, she cut the extensions in half so less weight was on the hair strand groupings. If you decide to do this to your hair.. just do it once a year, maybe once every couple of years. Again, it's a lot of stress on your scalp and hair. Otherwise, stick with human hair clip-ins (1 or more pieces). Also, remember you're going to be charged about $200+ to remove your extensions once you want them out (depending on how many you had in and how long it takes to remove them)! I am out of money and thinking about just letting them fall out on their own when the bond is wasted. They are beautiful, and you'll feel beautiful and sexy with them in. I'm just hoping my own hair returns to normal someday, and that I'll like these clip-ins enough to get me through until then. Good luck!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/23/2012 11:06:00 PM More reviews by kathleengem

I have seen many types of hair extensions while being in my friends salon. I researched getting extensions before deciding on Great Lenghts and have to say, after 6 weeks I am freaking out. I have very nice naturally blonde hair with awesome highlights/lowlights. I wanted to "speed up" the process of growing my hair out after a great shorter hair cut. I am wishing I never put these in. I paid $1500.00....god it hurts just to type that. With a heafty tip. She did a great job, although she burned me a couple of times with the hand crimper. I asked her how long they would last, i was told up to 6 months. I was given the brush and the anti-tap to use. After 5 weeks I decided I needed a MINI PARTIAL FOIL...when I got there, she seemed rushed and decided to put on a COLOR throughout my ENTIRE HEAD. I trusted her after remembering she told me to never get color on the extensions.

After sitting under the dryer for probably 40 minutes she washed and dried my hair. The color looked great and she moved on to her next client. The next day I was brushing my hair and up till now...NO extensions had come out. One extension came right out...I freaked out. Looked at it and you could see little bubbles or what looked like the hair had burned off from the extension the entire pieces of hair that were bonded to the extension. I figured it was a fluke. Well the next day two more came out....looking the same. Today, another one came out. I saved it. Called my salon and left a message that I am completely freaked out that all of my hair is ruined and completely scared to death of what my hair will look like after these are taken out. If you need to get extensions...use clip ons or just wait for your hair to grow.

I will update you after I see the hairstylist and decide what to do.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/22/2011 4:40:00 PM More reviews by HeyD228

I have GreatLengths, and I love them. They are very natural looking. I had mine done at Salon Azure, and I would highly recommend them if you wanted Great Lengths. I will be getting these again in 6 months when it is time. I wouldn't recommend anything else. You can flat iron them, curl them, basically treat them like your real hair. Brush them 3 or 4 times a day. They do not damage your hair. Your hair is made out of keratin, at the of great lengths, is a thick piece of keratin. It is heated to a piece of your hair, and gently twisted around your piece of hair. I have the hair I've always wanted. Thanks Great Lengths!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2011 5:03:00 PM More reviews by danspaz

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The most natural looking hair extensions. You don't see the bonds. Quality is great. Worth the price. But like anything else that you spend a hefty price on, you must take care of the extensions and brush them daily, condition them and do not put conditioner on the bonds.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2011 1:58:00 PM More reviews by 38makeupjunkie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I had to comment after reading several bad reviews. Apparently no one has really had a really BAD experience with hair extensions. I had another product (which I will not name) put in via hot fusion about 3 months ago, and was very excited about the product. Had a great experience with my first set, but something went drastically wrong with the second set and I was left in the hair dressers chair after a routine color with a "seized" up tangled mess of hair. The salon owner was "kind" enough to replace free of charge, however the entire experience left me extremely traumatized and with several bald spots. So, I decided to do much more research this time and found great lengths. I met with a very experienced person who has been doing extensions for over 10 years, and is great length trained (which if you look at the website great length requires 3 days of training). After meeting with her I decided to go with her. The worst part of the new process for me was having my newly installed bad hair extensions removed, very painful because the bonds were very hard and not ready to come out (I probably should have waited longer than 3 weeks, but I hated the hair and the extremely large bonds and couldn't wait to have them taken out). I love the great length hair; I don't know what people expect hair extension bonds to be like... of course you are going to feel something in your hair, I mean come on there is something physically attaching hair to your hair. And the people who complain about the quality of the hair you have to be joking or are not taking very good care of it; great lenghts hair compared to the last "remy" hair I had is 100X better. I have very fine hair and it blends and matches perfectly! With my last set I was constantly worried that the bonds would show, and was paranoid when my boyfriend would touch my head that he would feel them; with the great lenghts I don't have this fear. It has only been two weeks and I am definitely ocd and take extremely good care of them; I brush two/three times a day, wash every two to three days, shampoo and condition as instructed, sleep on a satin pillowcase, always sleep with it in a braid. I guess anything can change as far as how I feel about this hair, but right now I love it and wish that I had investigated more on my first round to have avoided the disaster I am trying to grow out. And one more thing, I was just looking at older pictures of my "old non great length hair extensions' and they don't look half as good. Don't believe all the bad stuff you read; do your research and make sure you find some one who is experienced and takes the time to listen to you and sets a realisic picture of what you can expect.