Lemon Juice

Price: $

5% to 6% (approximately 0.3 M) citric acid, Vitamin C, pH 2 to 3

on 7/4/2014 3:28:00 PM

To clear this up...

Lemon juice contains high amounts of citric acid, which is a PHOTOSENSITIZER, as most acids are when applied to the skin. Photosensitivity tends to be worse on those with sensitive skin (go figure), and also worsens with continued use. PHOTOSENSITIVITY means that your skin is more susceptible to sun damage (and more easily burned), so your lemon juice skin treatment intended to lighten and brighten your skin could backfire and do the exact opposite, darkening existing pigmentation and scars and creating new sunspots.

So proceed with caution. Wear sunblock, maybe try using lemon juice on your skin only at night, only once or twice a week, etc.

The brightening and lightening effect of lemon juice is due to its vitamin C content. A more effective option is to make yourself a vitamin C serum. I wouldn't recommend buying one off the shelves, however, as vitamin C is very unstable once mixed with water, so a serum needs to be made fresh in order to be effective. Here's a recipe!

From Wellnessmama.com:

Ingredients

tsp Vitamin C Powder
1 tablespoon distilled water OR 1 teaspoons distilled water to dissolve and 2 Tablespoons vegetable glycerine
a dark colored container to store (Vitamin C oxidizes easily)

Instructions

Dissolve the Vitamin C powder in the water.
If only using water and Vitamin C, you are done. This will store for up to 2 weeks or longer in the fridge.
If using glycerine, dissolve the Vitamin C in the smaller amount of water, then stir in glycerine and store. This version will last a month or longer.

Skin: Acne-prone, Deep Dark, Not Sure

Lemon works for everything! The only thing I've found to work so good on my skin. Tames down my flare ups. Gradually lightens acne scars and is a skin brightener and the best thing about it is that it's cheap, and natural!

on 6/22/2014 10:18:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

The best pigmentation remover there is. Worked perfectly for me!

on 4/27/2014 9:25:00 PM

The absolute best.
I don't think I've ever written a review before, even though I've read literally hundreds, but I just had to for this. It's magic.

I've suffered with acne on and off, mostly on, since I was about 13. And I have researched and tried everything. ACV, tea tree oil, OCM, cetaphil, amLactin, clearasil, bicarbonate of soda, aztec clay, queen helene, glycolic peels, microdermabrasion, duac, panoxyl, and most recently retin a . Which to be honest, didn't seem to be doing a lot to help my skin, which was looking dull and still covered in marks from acne.

So about a week ago I started searching again for something to help. I came across lemon juice , which I've tried before but was always too lazy/ forgetful to keep up with it. I wish I had though. I started drinking it in my water and then decided to try it on my face again. Once a night at first, & now I use it under my makeup before I Moisturise aswell. Yes it stings, for about a minute , but it's well worth it.

The first time I used it I got about three whiteheads on my chin, which were gone the next day. And since then I've only had one spot on my cheek, which went away as quickly as it came thanks to this. I feel like it's already made a big difference to my skin, my pores are just about invisible, marks are definitely fading and my whole face just looks smoother and healthier. All of that in seven days. And the little bumps / clogged pores on my chin, which I just thought I was stuck with forever, are so much smaller and dissappearing. It's rediculous to think how much money and time I've wasted when a 20p lemon is all I needed. Just try it, it makes such a difference.

on 4/25/2014 5:56:00 PM

For the reviewer who said they could not find scientific evidence that lemon juice is phototoxic here is a peer reviewed reputable scientific review cited from the Paula's Choice team:

Lemon juice applied to skin can cause what's known as a phytophotodermatitis (PPD) upon exposure to sunlight. Results from this can range from a red rash to brown discolorations, which is ironic given that many people turn to lemon juice to lighten brown spots (Source: Photodermatology, Photoimmunology, and Photomedicine, December 2005, pages 318-321). This is due to a volatile fragrance chemical known as limonene, which is abundant in lemon juice.

My mother, who is 66, applied lemon juice to her cheeks to fade her large brown spots not knowing any better. She wore SPF 30 on her face daily and hardly ever goes out in the sun. Over the summer, the large brown spots turned almost black. She is now applying prescription strength hydroquinone coupled with a prescription of retin-a and now the spots have faded to almost nothing.

on 4/22/2014 2:34:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

If you're like me, you scour the internet when a wrench has been thrown in to your routine.

After struggling with acne for as long as I can remember - 12 years at least - I recently (and unfortunately) experienced the straw that broke the camel's back. I work in a corporate office and hold an important position where I'm meeting with people day in and day out. I'd tried a generic birth control pill that was prescribed to me due to its low cost. Unfortunately, my acne was getting worse since starting Generess Fe - and in places I'd never gotten zits before. I have always dealt with oily skin, but my breakouts were always located on my chin mostly. But I will say that I follow a strict upgraded paleo diet, so I know my diet is impeccable and isn't the cause because my skin was doing great previous to messing with my hormones. Once in a while, I'd get a stray zit on my forehead, jaw line, etc., the chin always seemed inevitable so whatever, I've learned to deal with it. But out of nowhere erupted these massive, unsightly clusters on my cheeks. NEVER before have I had problems with my cheeks and I'm in my late twenties! Recently promoted at work & recently engaged! Aren't I too old to keep battling this!? I always remember what my parents said when they told me I'd eventually grow out of it...Lies! So anyway, I'm pretty sure it was a hormone issue, but man was it embarrassing. I'm sure I'm not alone when I say that I wanted to hide, call in to work, avoid people, cover my face with white chalk! Once in a while, I'd have a week or two of clear skin, not radiant, but clear enough to show promise, but it would never last. But I honestly had never had anything like this. It was horrific. My skin tone is not the most even, I blame myself for picking, peeling scabs, and worst of all, a lot of previous sun damage. But it wasn't awful, and I'd managed it with some good lotions here and there. So needless to say, something had to change. I couldn't walk around like this anymore, trying to place hair over my cheeks, or a hand, or anything. But..the absolute worst, worst part of it - it left scars. Lots of red, round marks. I was defeated - I'd never had scars like this before and the ONE time I get the worst breakout I've had, I get scarred. I was so sad. So so sad. So after diligently researching all over the internet for the best acne-scar-fading item available, I would have paid immense amounts of money for anything. But alas, I stumbled upon my little magic lemon. For starters, I've used the Biore pore unclogging face wash because it's always worked the best for me, and then normally tone with witch hazel and/or the blue clean and clear toner, and if I need added moisture, I LOVE Eucerin Q10 - never had a problem with my acne-prone skin. But nothing was working. Tried to revert back to ACV, but wasn't really impressed as I had been before. All I kept thinking was 'nothing is working anymore!' So I remembered when I drank a lot of lemon water last summer and my skin was in pretty good shape, then seeing online how people had applied it like a toner, I figured I had nothing to lose - especially since it would aid in the healing of scar marks. Three days in - I am sold. In all fairness, the marks on my face are very fresh - only about 2 weeks old, but, the lemon juice is evening out my entire complexion. Old spots, new spots, whatever, they're all fading - I cannot believe it. After the historic breakout I encountered while on this last pill, I stopped taking it - the skin wasn't the only issue - I could tell it was messing with my hormones in numerous ways & my body wasn't agreeing with it - I do not recommend this pill. Since then, and since using the lemons, I am back to my old confident self, excited, but not too excited (I always find something great and weeks later, it disappoints, but everyone here & online has me very hopeful). So hopeful that I had to create an account to share this with others because I know how frustrating going through life like this can be, especially when you're young and this is your time to shine and you don't want to shy away from things because of things like breakouts and acne. I've been there, I know the feeling like I know my name.
My routine is as follows: wash my face in the morning with the Biore scrub. Pat face dry, apply witch hazel or Clean and Clear toner. Let dry. Dip a cotton ball in a generous amount of lemon juice. Let dry for 25 minutes. Apply my Eucerin Q10 cream (this is for the day time, to avoid any drying of my skin). Then I apply my Physicians Formula Organic Wear powder in medium translucent (some people say they hate this powder - i love it and I'd like to think the organic part is much better than the previous ones I've used), which I'm starting to need less of thanks to the lemon juice. At night, I wash my face when I get home to let it breathe, put the same toner on, and apply a cotton ball of lemon juice, sometimes to my entire face (avoiding eyebrows, hairline) because of the effect it's had on my skin tone. I leave this 'mask' on overnight, waking up to - GASP! - great skin the next morning. That's unheard of for me. Smaller pores too..I am in awe at the moment. I've never had the good skin - that was my sister. So, I'm tremendously impressed thus far - I can't wait to see how my skin will look in a month. I also make sure I wash my makeup brushes every week, I drink a ton of water, with lemons too, green tea, eat well, exercise, etc. But honestly, I've never noticed a change in my diet or exercise affecting my skin - maybe some people do, but I now realize my skin is directly affected by my hormones and a good chunk of genetics. I think being in tune with your body and your body's responses is a must for healthy living. Watch what you eat, medicines/vitamins you take and observe what they do to your body. I will definitely keep using lemon juice twice a day, and I'll write what else I find

on 4/15/2014 7:48:00 AM

I've been using 100% concentrated lemon juice straight for a lemon for blackheads on my nose for three days. Let me tell you, for blackheads, this is a godsend. I've tried squeezing out the blackheads since using this and there is 90% less to squeeze. I hope it is actually doing what it looks like it is doing. A warning though; this stuff stings. I have dry skin on my nose and it irritated it, especially the first few times I used it.

Since it worked so well on my nose, yesterday I tried using all over my face, for whiteheads and scars and general discoloring of my face. I woke up today and I have broken out all over. I have about 6 or 7 whiteheads all over my face and some redness too. I haven't changed anything in the regime so I think it must be the lemon. I will give the lemon a rest and maybe try diluting it in the future.

A very cheap alternative to blackhead scrubs though, I must say.

Lemons are great for lightening your hair!

on 3/16/2014 2:57:00 PM

I decided to give lemon juice a try to see if it would help fade my acne marks. This stuff seriously works. I squeeze the juice from a lemon and put it in a small container, then every night after washing my face I take a q tip, dip it into the juice, and dab it on the marks. Over a week I noticed that they were less red! It can burn and itch initially after putting it on but it's bearable and goes away in 30 seconds to 2 minutes. I haven't had any flaking or dry spots due to using the juice either, but that's just how my skin is. Overall I really recommend lemon juice as a topical treatment.

on 2/16/2014 10:08:00 AM

I love lemon juice!!! In order to minimize the dryness, i use laneige water bank after using it.

Popular Treatments (Face)

Retin A
Lemon Juice
Nerium AD

Top Rated Treatments (Face)

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products