October 30, 2014 | 705 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot - Groundwork

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2013 7:45:00 PM More reviews by amyfarrahfowler

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For reference I'm NC40 and this is the perfect natural lid color for me. Just a quick swipe is all it takes. It blends super easily and never creases. Sometimes I find myself wondering if I put lid color on because when applied sheerly this matches the color of my own eye lids so perfectly. Evens everything out and works as a great base for other colors. I have no complaints about this at all and the packaging makes me happy. I hate the small size of the Bobbi Brown cream shadow pots - total pain to get my finger in it - but I have zero issues with MAC Paint Pots. I have several different colors but this is my mainstay, my staple, my most-reached-for. Would repurchase for sure!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2013 11:10:00 PM More reviews by laylaperdomo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My favorite Paint Pot for my go to no makeup look everyday shadow.

Lovely satin fish, non crease cream shadow.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2013 6:37:00 AM More reviews by bimini156

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Agree with a lot of the comments already posted. This is a nice light to medium neutral brown..(I'm surprised the Mac website refers to this as a taupe--which I don't see at all.) When I am in a hurry to get out the door, I hurry up and swipe this on my lids, add a highlight color and some mascara and I am good to go. It gives the eye some definition for a good everyday look. It also is a good base for any brown, neutral look. This is a very useful eyeshadow in my collection.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2013 11:52:00 PM More reviews by aibreanx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is an absolute HG for me. It looks like nothing in the pot but it's truly a special product. On the eye, it's a neutral light brown with a very pretty understated sheen. It also has that great long wearing and blendable formula that is typical of most paint pots.

I use a 217 to apply Groundwork all over the lid ensuring that the edges are well blended. Add some well blended brown liner on the lash line and you've got a quick and easy look that is very polished and professional.

My favourite soft smoky eye is Groundwork as a base, Patina over top, Teddy eye kohl, and black mascara. Easy, not too bold, and lasts all day and night.

Fantastic product. I highly, highly recommend it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2013 3:20:00 PM More reviews by browneyessmiles

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm surprised how much a staple this has become for me. Just looking at the pan, it looks very boring. But on the lid, it just looks so effortlessly "done" and is a great base for other shadows. If i'm in a rush, I feel confident just reaching for this and wearing this on its own. Its not shimmery at all, which I love as so many paint pots are frosted and shimmery.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/28/2013 12:01:00 AM More reviews by IrynaHarpy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

WARNING TO GENUINE REDHEADS: I adore MAC cosmetics (other than their mascaras & foundations) & have all of the basic colours/tones in paint pots.

Both Groundwork & Soft Ocre were a serious mistake on my behalf. I've only knocked off the lippie because this is a genuine taupe with strong yellow tones which aren't visible until you put it on.

Most of us gingers are mistaken for having very cool toned to porcelain skin, even by professional MUA's. The fact is that we have a sallow tinge which isn't apparent unless we're freckly. The temptation to go for overtly warm tones to counter the cool tones has to be handled with subtlety.

This warm taupe WILL make you look jaundiced. Forget about trying to salvage it by using it as a base as the ocre will wear its way through as the day progresses & turn anything you've put on over it into a murky mess.

I've given mine away to an olive-skinned girlfriend & it looks glorious on her, along with the Soft Ocre which she uses as a base & brow highlighter.

Quite Natural & Indianwood are in the same league for me, but they are more a matter of taste (I don't seem to look quite as desperately ill with Indianwood because I only use it as a liner peeking out from under a dark, matte eyeliner) & I can still get away with Quite Natural because it's a matte, I suppose (but I won't be repurchasing).

Incidentally, Groundwork has a fundamental flaw I haven't noticed with the other paint pots which stay fairly true to their initial application throughout the day: the ochre stays dominant while the initial pearle shimmer ends up sitting on top as a pale grey sheen. Again, this isn't a significant problem for other complexions, but is the ultimate colour disaster for gingers (possibly even if you only dye your hair auburn). Don't go to an appointment with your doctor wearing this unless you want to be pronounced dead before he/she even takes your pulse.

Paint pots come in great colours, but they just don't all work on everyone. Sigh.

9 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2012 7:19:00 PM More reviews by Rin13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

Paint pots are my HG eye primer. Nothing else works as well as these do. I use this color for my darker/smokier looks. It's a light brown w/ a greyish undertone. I could see this being close to skin color on darker complexions... but I am like NW15.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2012 12:45:00 PM More reviews by spissy

I bought this paintpot a year ago, I am using it a lot, but still have quite a bit left. Would describe it as creamy, slightly ashy warm beigebrown colour, and I usually pair it with a blue or bluegrey eyeliner and this combination is great for blue eyes. I swipe a little bit of vanilla or blanc type eyeshadow as a highlighter and some mascara, and that really freshens up my morning eyes. My skintype is combination and my eyelids are quite oily ,so I sometimes use my too faced shadow insurance underneath, but without it it stays on pretty good too. I would definitely recommend it, and I would run to get another when I run out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2012 11:26:00 AM More reviews by mellypmakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This PP is a pretty medium brown. I like using this one for brown smokey looks. On me they do crease when it's warmer out. during cooler months they do not. Shadows go on smoothly and stay put. I wouldn't repurchase only because I don't use this shade enough. But it's pretty and would look more natural/even out lid tone on darker skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2012 8:30:00 AM More reviews by Neneh13

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this to use in the mornings because I am always in a rush. It's perfect. It's very quick and easy to apply and blend and suits my NC30/medium complexion perfectly as a light wash of colour on my lids. It looks very natural on me as if I have nicely contoured eyes with a hint of colour. It also lasts all day - today I even had a nap in it and I woke up with no smudging at all.
I also think it's perfect to take camping, on vacations and trips because you don't need to worry about using make up brushes and having to clean them, or worry about your eye-make up fading throughout the day.
I initially saw this in a Lisa Eldrige tutorial which sparked my interest in it and after reading reviews, decided to go into my local MAC store to test out colours. I'm glad I did because I always find it's better to see colours in real life and make a decision then, rather than off swatches (I was going to get Painterly, but decided on Groundwork instead and I'm glad).
It's not described as matte, but it almost is - the sheen on it is very subtle. This works for my slightly dry skin and I love that the colour doesn't look entirely flat on my lids.
I will buy this again but won't have to for awhile - it's looking like it will last me for a long time.
I'd be interested in purchasing other colours knowing how well this product works, but having said that I am so content with this colour that I don't mind if I never try a different one, ever!

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No