MAC Paint Pot in Painterly

4.3

Isodocecane, dimethicone, polyethylene, hydrogenated polyisobutene, quaternium-90 bentonite, dimethicone silylate, octyldodecanol, silica, trihydroxystearin, retinyl palmitate, tocopheryl acetate, lecithin, carnauba wax, propylene carbonate, triethoxycaprylylsilane. May contain: mica, titanium dioxide, iron oxides, bismuth oxychloride, blue 1 lake, carmine, chromium hydroxide green, chromium oxide greens ferric ferroxyanide, manganese violet, ultramarines, yellow 5 lake.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Great primer, I used to use the Urban Decay Primer Potion( I still use it on my lower lashline) but I have dark, deep set eyelids and needed some coverage on them to cover up the redness and greyness of my eyelids and this does that very well. The pink tone works well even on my golden colored skin( I think I have NC35 skin) and brightens up my eyelid making eyeshadow show up better and give me a refreshed, well rested look too. I have dry skin so creasing, especially with good quality shadows, was never a huge issue for me, but I've heard it works well on oily lids when used with UDPP underneath.

on 1/6/2015 9:43:00 AM

I really don't know where this got all the popularity it has from ...as an eyeshadow base it is horrible as it creases badly after just a couple of hours, by itself it smears also.
The real deal in eyeshadow bases is Mac Paint (the little tube) in Untitled as it really does the job big time. This painterly stuff it is just not worth it.

on 12/31/2014 6:24:00 AM

I wanted to try this as an alternative to Urban Decay's Primer Potion, as I'd heard it was just as good. And so far I've not been disappointed.

Painterly is a flesh-toned cream eye shadow, which sets to a matte powder finish. You can then apply regular cream or powder eye shadow over the top which lasts all day without fading or creasing. You can also wear it on its own with a lick of mascara for a natural look, which is great for someone like me whose eyelids tend to be a slightly darker shade than the rest of my face.

There's only one slight downside which I've found with this - if you leave it out in a warm, dry room, it starts to shrink leaving a large gap between the product and the side of the glass jar. It also has a tendency to start to dry out. To get round this, I've taken to leaving it in the bathroom (where it tends to be a bit warmer and humid) and I also leave it upside down which seems to help stop it from drying out quite so much (a tip I picked up from somewhere on the 'net).

For 15.50 I think this is definitely worth the money and for the results I've experienced since using it, it's comparable to the UDPP too.

on 12/19/2014 9:48:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I wanted something for a base color/primer and was rec'd this. Unfortunately it just pulls too pink on my NC15 skin. And since it looks pink, it makes the colors I wear on top look weird. The formula is fine, I do like Soft Ochre and Chilled on Ice.

on 12/19/2014 9:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is the second time I have tried this product and infortunately it;s the same problem.
The blue undertone looks grey on me and make me look deathly ill.
The consistency is fine but irritated my eyelids so that they are now red.
Think I'm better off using my concealer as an eyeshadow primer.

on 12/19/2014 2:52:00 AM

Pretty neutral. I wish I bought one with at leat some shimmer so I don't have to use eyeshadow. This would work for those who are more elaborate with their eye make-up. I've just started wearing eye makeup because i need a smudgeproof, waterproof eye product due to allergies.

For everyday I'll get a neutral one like Perky (out of stock when i went) or a shimmery rose one when one comes out.

on 12/15/2014 11:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The only reason why Im not giving this full thumbs up is because towards the end of the product it got extremely dry, flaky and would not work anymore, even when applied with a brush. Other than probably the best eye primer out there.

on 12/1/2014 5:19:00 PM

I can't live without it. It is the perfect base or just use it by itself to brighten your eye.

on 11/11/2014 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

This has become a makeup staple for me. I use this as a base for whatever eyeshadow look I want to do. I do not have extremely oily eyelids, so I do not use any other primer under this product. I have never experienced creasing or fading with this product, but it is very creamy so I make sure to apply a very thin layer. It doesn't show up on my NW15 skin, which is what I wanted. It is perfect for covering veins, brightening the upper lid (on it's own) or acting as a base for eyeshadows. The packaging is sleek and beautiful, however I worry about dropping/breaking the glass base.

on 11/1/2014 4:46:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

One of the only things in my stash that I *know* I will run through in the near future. This is an amazing eye shadow base and a fall-back for everyday make-up for me to correct lid discoloration. Best application method I've found includes patting and blending across the lid with a fluffy brush, then sweeping a matte neutral all over (to set and improve subsequent shadow blendability). You will likely need to use a primer underneath to keep it from creasing.

Pros:
* very opaque
* creamy application
* perfect for paler skin tones
* helps show true shadow colors
* evens skin tone
* very generous amount of product
* long-lasting

Cons:
* needs primer
* needs to be stored upside-down to stay creamy