Dr. Bronner's Hemp Peppermint Castille Soap

4.4

Not tested on animals

Water, saponified organic coconut & organic olive oils (w/ retained glycerin), organic hemp oil, organic jojoba oil, organic peppermint oil, organic mentha arvensis, sea salt, citric acid, vitamin e

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

LOVE LOVE LOVE. Best damn soap in the world! I clean my house and my body with it. You can brush your teeth and mop the floor with it! It's a multitasking soap with the best damn back story and reading materials around! Dr. Bronner was an interesting man indeed

on 7/29/2014 7:00:00 PM

Utter bombage. I. LOVE.THIS.STUFF. Again, as I point out in my other reviews due to the fact I live on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean on a couple of small rocks and EVERYTHING I like has to be imported, this stuff is a slightly higher price point for NZ than for other parts of the world. Totally worth it. You just need a squirt on your loofah (or Salux cloth) and you get heaps of pepperminty, invigorating lather. I have very dry skin and this does not irritate my skin like a lot of other soaps, nor does it increase the dryness of my skin. According to the bottle you can use it to wash your hair, the dishes, your dog, car etc LOL. And reading the bottle is an entertainment as well (ALL IN ONE! ALL IN ONE!!) My husband loves it and it makes the bathroom smell amazing. I think another reviewer pointed out that you may get a bit of a surprise if you get it on your ''lady bits''. It doesn't hurt or feel unpleasant, its just...noticeable is all due to the peppermint lol.

on 6/26/2014 2:37:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really like to use this as body wash in the summer since the peppermint is VERY BRACING. I didn't find the lather difficult to adapt to, caused no irritation, price isn't bad for the size and it's not full of harmful chemicals. My husband and I can share, since it's not a feminine scent. He works in extreme heat all summer, so he really likes the cooling effect. I like it!

on 6/12/2014 7:00:00 AM

A hippie classic, so refreshing! It's a pure, old-fashioned castile soap, not a shower gel, so even though the consistency appears thin and watery, it's concentrated stuff. One little sprinkle of Dr. B's on a body pouf is plenty. The company makes this soap in several different scents, but I've never strayed from the peppermint-- it's their most popular variety for a reason. Like a peppermint patty for your body!

I work overnights, and showering with this before work helps wake me up like nothing else can. (The ultimate indulgence is a travel mug of coffee brought into the shower, too :)) It gives the squeaky-clean finish that only castile soap can provide, yet it's not drying at all. My skin seems to know it's natural and basic. I use it on my face, too, which feels wonderful; although when I was younger and had acne, I found that it left a comedogenic film, and I had to use a different facial cleanser so YMMV. I feel so clean and tingly after using this that I sometimes can go longer between showers.

Two notes: (1) Especially if you're a woman, certain body parts may not appreciate the very bracing mint sensation. My certain parts don't mind, but I could easily see someone needing to use Dove or something else more mild on their privates. (2) Read the bottle thoroughly. It's completely psychotic and wonderfully weird. Hey, the dude made good soap, let's cut him some slack for having a trippy unified theory involving Mark Spitz and Jesus :)

I usually purchase the Lavender scented one (my favorite♡) but this time I decided to try out peppermint. I usually shower at night and this soap makes me feel soooo cold! :( I love the tingle in shampoos but in body washes.. not so much. I also like relaxing in my towel for a while before putting clothes on, but this soap makes it impossible! I just wanna throw on my hoodie and sweats ASAP! I guess I'll use it all up, but as soon as im done with this one, im going back to my lavender :'(

on 3/29/2014 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Really enjoying this soap so far! I use it as a face and body wash. My face has cleared up quite a bit in the past month that I started using this. I still break out, but dramatically less.

A few notes: after diluting it, it can be hard to lather or use with my Clarisonic. I'll try a foaming pump as a previous reviewer suggested. Also, they say you can use this as a shampoo, but I find it makes my scalp too oily.

I'll definitely keep using this! Not only has it cleared up my skin, it's also inexpensive for the amount of product you get, and it's all-natural.

on 3/25/2014 9:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

love this soap! very gentle and great smell. I use it to wash my baby's bath tube because I don't want to use harsh chemicals.

on 2/21/2014 6:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Warm

I've used this brand of soap off and on as a body wash for years now (peppermint has always been my favorite due to the clean lingering scent) but personally, I found it could be a pain in the ass to use and it didn't save me any $$$ due to the fact that whether I diluted it or not, I always had to use pump after pump of this stuff just to work up a decent lather on every area of my body (took longer to wash too). The same thing also happened when I used it as hand soap.

Well maybe I'm an idiot for not figuring it out sooner but in case anyone else has the same problem here are 2 key things that completely changed this for me:

1. Go out and buy yourself some foaming soap dispensers. This makes a HUGE difference! My Walgreens had some in the form of Dial's foaming antibacterial handwash for $2.19 (this will save you $ in the long run).

2. Don't use it like regular soap. By this I mean usually with body wash you just squirt it onto a puff/loofah/whatever and add water to work up a lather, but with this soap? If you add water while you're trying to lather the water will just neutralize the lather! The fact that it's oil based probably has something to do with this (water and oil don't mix).

So dilute it beforehand and use a foaming pump dispenser instead of a regular one. This way you already got a lather even when it's really diluted (I never understood how people could shave with this stuff until I got the foaming dispenser but I get it now).

Also, now that i use this as a hand soap I cannot believe how soft my hands are! Seriously they were ALWAYS cracked and bleeding from daily washing with antibacterial soap and I always figured it had to be the hot water but wow, apparently it was the soap.

BTW, this soap is not harsh at all but keep in mind, like most Bronner soaps it DOES contain an essential oil! Many essential oils can be skin irritants-esp on mucous membranes--and peppermint oil is no exception to this rule.

On another note, in case you haven't read the crazy label, Dr. Bronner was a bonafide mental patient (for reals) so just because he used his "magical" soap 18 different ways doesn't mean you need to do the same...

on 1/5/2014 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I LOVE this soap! This is our summertime soap as it leaves a cool feeling on your skin and the scent of mm peppermint wakes you up! love that there are no toxic chemicals in it either!

on 10/24/2013 1:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I tried both the bar soap and the liquid soap. For use with a loofah, I like bar soap better. The liquid is so thin and runny that it disappears into loofah as soon as you pour it. I only use the soap in shower and to wash my hands. Maybe because it is made with mostly oil, it doesn't dry out my body like other soap. The funny thing is when I wash my face with this, it makes my face dry. I don't have the courage to try it on my hair. Be careful not to get it in your eyes. It stings so bad.