April 19, 2014 | 1706 users online

Hair Color - Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2013 11:08:00 PM More reviews by whitlee123

I decided that it'd be fun to color my very light blonde hair (chemically treated) a dark auburn shade - big mistake. the color was too harsh for my complexion (and I now admit to myself, I'm a blonde-orexic), and I was over it in about 2 days. I did some research on color oops and didn't have much hope, knowing that red is the most difficult color to remove.

I gave it a try anyway - I bought the conditioning version, applied as directed to my unwashed hair. the results? INCREDIBLE.

the product lifted a good 98% of the color, leaving my hair a very light blonde with a subtle hint of peach, which I actually love. I was so surprised that the color lifted so much and so quickly.

so, as per the directions, I rinsed and rinsed and I left a deep conditioner on my hair for about 10 minutes, rinsed and added more conditioner for another 10 minutes. I let my hair air dry about 50%, then I got out the blow dryer and used a medium heat to finish the job. and here's where it gets interesting...

from lightening my hair frequently, my hair has sustained a lot of damage. at the crown of my head, in the back, my hair takes forever to dry and I cannot run my fingers through it when wet - definitely damaged, and nothing has really repaired it. not moroccan oil, not conditioning treatments, not sulfate-free products. NOTHING (other than the monthly trim, just cutting off the dead stuff). but when I blow dried my hair, it dried quickly with the rest of my hair. and my hair is shiny, and feels incredibly healthy. my hair has not felt this healthy in a literal year - I can't stop touching it and looking at it. I'm chalking it up to whatever conditioning products are in this product, or maybe my hair just had a very positive reaction.

either way, I highly recommend this product, should you need to remove color. I'm incredibly impressed with the results I've seen.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/6/2013 1:47:00 PM More reviews by Lalena75

I used Color oops extra strength after over 15 years of dying my hair over and over, I'm naturally a brunette with red undertones, but I've dyed my hair every color but ash tones. I have long thick hair and one box was enough for me.
I had dyed my hair black but the grays became more visible as it grew out and I'm just tired of fixing it and I wanted something closer (lighter) to my natural color. I tried Color Oops and it worked great, I followed the direction to the letter, used a spray bottle to coat my hair as it's thin like water and used dawn dish soap after rinsing, then washed it a second time with dawn, rinsed again this will make your hair very dry both the Color Oops and the dish soap but it got the color oops out easily! I then used Argan deep conditioner again follow the directions. I was left with a mousey reddish brown likely due to lightening my hair to a red from dark brown almost a year ago. My hair was very dry even after the deep conditioner so I let it rest for 24 hours, then used a clear color filler (also called protein filler) and then L'oreal healthy look temporary hair color in dark golden brown. It looked great after much more my natural color, I went with the temporary color to avoid more stress to my hair. I just washed my hair for the first time (two days after coloring) used a good moisturizing conditioner, and my hair looks and feels fabulous, better than it has in years. Now my daughter is considering using it to go back to her natural color as well.
Best advice I have follow the directions on all products, use a color filler for even coloring if you plan to recolor or to boost strength and rebuild your hair use the clear, use a good conditioner, and baby your hair for a bit. also the smell wasn't at all as bad as I'd expected from other reviews. It ended up leaving my hair in better condition than it was but was a lot of work to get it there, I would definitely use it again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2013 9:48:00 AM More reviews by DeliaDelyons

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This worked for me just the way I'd hoped it would. I used Color Oops around 24 hours (maybe less) after my bad dye job. My CVS only had the Extra Strength version - Cost Fourteen Ninety-Nine.

I had impulsively dyed my medium brown hair with L'Oreal Excellence Natural Black box dye that I had lying around and the results were just too, too dark, and completely UN-natural for my complexion. Also had a green tinge, ugh.

I was very mad at myself because I had only recently grown my hair out to my shoulders after having dyed it black for years... this last year was the first time in many that I had actually seen my natural color!

Next day, I went online to find ways to at least lighten it up a bit and found Color Oops reccommendations... I was worried it could damage my hair, but I figured I have a gift certificate to Aveda Salon, so if I mess it up, I could always get it professionally fixed (that was actually my first plan, but they couldn't fit me in for 4 days and I read the first 48 hours after dyeing is your best chance for fixing it). So...

I followed the directions to a "T", leaving the solution in my hair for 20 minutes after I'd completed application. The smell was not that bad to me, but all noses are different. I did detect the sulfur smell, it just didn't bug me.

Based on another reviewer's notes, I took extra care to detangle with a wide tooth "shower comb", both after applying the Oops to my hair and then while rinsing, rinsing, rinsing. I rinsed for probably 25 minutes (definitely the most thorough rinse of my life!), shampooing once in the beginning, conditioning halfway through, because all my hair became a huge knot after rinsing upside down, then shampooed again, rinsed and conditioned with Joico K-pak Reconstruct Conditioner (not deep treatment) and put a shower cap on to let the condish do it's work.

After 15 minutes, I rinsed the Conditioner out and went out for the night, hair still damp (but detangled). My fingers were in my hair all night; it was so silky soft! Don't know where the credit lies there (guessing the conditioner) but the point is - zero damage... no straw hair, no excessive fall out, no lingering sulfur smell, no problems at all.

When I looked at my dry hair it was back to almost the color it was before the black, possibly a bit lighter or maybe redder, which the FAQ on Color Oops site said may happen because of the peroxide in permamnent haircolor (which lifts your hair color before depositing the dye, even black dye). I was happy with it and did not redye.

Now a week later, I'd say it has perhaps darkened just a shade since then, but in no way has it gone anywhere near back to black.

I hope not to have to use this again, but would not hesitate to grab up some Color Oops if I ever make a bad hair Dye decision again!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2012 2:07:00 AM More reviews by shelbyvanmaele

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've used this product 2 times now and I have had wonderful results both times. The first time I had grown my hair out 100% natural but I wanted a golden tint in my hair. I bought John Frieda Foam Hair Dye in light golden brown but later found that someone had switched the color in the box to black, I was in tears, my hard work of growing out my hair had been ruined! I had heard of Color Oops and decided to give it a chance I didn't think it could get any worse. It completely saved my hair! It left it with a funny orange tint but it was still my real hair, I bought the color I origionally wanted and everything ended fine.
The second time I used it was when I had dyed my hair black and highlighted it, it was grown out and I wanted something more natural that I wouldn't have to worry about touching up, I used the Color Oops and it took the black right out. However it cannot remove bleach from the hair so I still had highlights and grown out blonde from way before that I had dyed over. I dyed it and everything worked out perfectly. The smell is AWFUL but with the great results it was worth it for sure. I got it at Ulta for 12.99 so it is expensive by my standards but it worked. Overall I am very satisfied by this product.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2012 6:41:00 PM More reviews by decoded

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've used Color Oops several times, but it's unpredictable what you'll get. Most of the time it always turns to a brassy strawberry blond-ish color for me. I will say for the most part it's not overly damaging, but I think I used the one that was supposed to be moisturizing. But when I went to a salon only a week after using it they couldn't believe that my hair was in that good of a condition. But this is something akin to bleaching. You are still lifting color out of your hair, and it can be just as damaging.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2012 1:08:00 AM More reviews by tinylove

I just finished drying my hair after washing out Color Oops Extra Strength and i'm amazed! I've been dying my hair black for at least the past 5 years and I was finally sick of it! I didn't want to bleach my hair or do a bleach cocktail so I decided to try Color Oops because we finall got it in Canada. I left it in a little longer then 20 minutes(an hr, oops!), then washed it out in the shower for about 25 minutes, going back and forth between my neutrogena clarifying shampoo & a head & shoulders shampoo and then left conditioner in my hair for another 10 minutes. My hair is back to my natural brown colour, and it's still soft and healthy looking! I'm amazed!! My ends are still a littler darker so i'll probably use another box on them but Color Oops did such a good job! I'd reccomend it to anyone wanting to go lighter or get rid of black!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2012 3:39:00 PM More reviews by commercesd

My hair is very fine and slightly wavy. Even in my 50s, I have very little gray. I usually like to lighten it a shade or two and use a bronze type of brown. The Feria bronze browns are my favorite, and I really should have stuck with that.

I colored my hair with a foam product by John Frieda -- a medium golden brown that looked beautiful on the box. I've been coloring my hair myself for years. I was shocked to see that my hair came out nearly black.

I tried all the tricks to lighten it -- Prell, dish soap. It lightened very little. I thought perhaps I could manage and let it fade over time, but every time I saw myself in the mirror I just got depressed. The color was just way too dark for someone my age and skin tone.

After reading reviews, I decided to take a chance and boy am I ever glad that I did. The only one I could find in the store was the strongest version. I did the strand test and saw that it lightened it up a great deal.

I wanted to be prepared in case my hair came out too light. I couldn't get to the beauty supply to get protein filler to use before coloring again, so I decided to use the emergency Clairol Beautiful Brown warm golden brown I have on hand if necessary.

I followed the instructions to the letter. I found that I only needed half the bottle, since my hair is so fine. It is long, but I never have to use a whole bottle of anything on my hair!

I decided to process my hair for less time with the Color Oops since the test strand came out so light.

I kept checking the color during the processing time - and when my hair lightened to the shade desired- probably around 10-12 minutes total - immediately started the washing and rinsing process.

The key is to really follow that instruction about doing period strand tests. Don't just wait the whole 20 minutes. Depending on the type of hair you have and the dye process you used, you may not need to process the whole time. That could be why some people come out with orange hair.

It could be that I needed less time because I was using the extra strength.

I must say that 20 minutes of rinsing is a really, really long time. But I stuck it out to make sure all the stuff was rinsed out. My hair seemed a bit stiff. I conditioned it for 5 minutes and found that my hair is silky, a great color and seems to have more life than it did before using Color Oops.

My old stylist taught me some tricks -- one of which is a Godsaver that I will share. If a color comes out too light -- or your hair fades too fast - use a semi-perm color such as the Clairol Beautiful products... They have all shades in the beauty supply; I use the Beautiful Browns. They may have changed the name, but it comes in a small brown bottle and costs under $4. I can get 2 uses out of one bottle.

In my case, I did not need to recolor -- which was a relief. With my fine, thinning hair, I didn't want to be coloring it again right away.

But if my hair continues to fade too fast, I will just use the Clairol Beautiful Browns temporarily - until I think my hair is strong enough to endure another coloring process. But this time, it will be my tried and true Feria bronze color. No more John Frieda coloring products for me.

As for the price, it was on sale at Wags for 9.99 (regularly 14.99) - so that was great, too. Now if I would just have remembered to use the $1 off coupon I'd printed out, it would have been 8.99! Look online for coupons -- and don't forget to use them!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2012 4:25:00 PM More reviews by SarahAshlie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product pretty much did what it was supposed to do, and that is help fix mistakes. It never said it'd be perfect (it even gives you a warning I believe). The smell wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't awful. It didn't quite lift all the black from my constantly dyed, but naturally medium brown, but it did lift where my hair had been most recently dyed. Any part that had been dyed months back lifted a little bit, but nothing noticeable. However, where I had dyed my bangs blue previously, then black again, came out a coppery brown color (which works well to my advantage since it will soon be orange). I would not recommend this product to anyone who is impatient, picky, or wanting quick results.
I plan on trying it again if it's not as light as I hope after it dries completely.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2012 8:11:00 PM More reviews by LWFlorida67

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been coloring my hair black for three years. My natural color is dark brown with copper highlights. I wanted to lighten up my hair to a more natural look and decided to give Color Oops a try and it worked! The smell is not that bad, some of these reviews are so dramatized. It's not as bad as a perm or hair color smell. I kept it on for 20 minutes and washed and rinsed my hair twice. Got my dark brown back. It does leave your hair very porous so I would wait a day or two before re-coloring if you plan too. It didn't damage my hair and my hair is very fine. I actually think it's in better condition because black hair color is the worst color you can put on your hair as far as damaging. It's worth the money. I paid $14 at CVS.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2012 2:04:00 AM More reviews by dennings

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I was surprised how well this worked. I had dyed my hair about a month ago, and it came out too red. It was a semi-permanent color bu those always seem to act like permanent color with my hair! I didn't want to wait for the color to grow out. I used color oops and it totally worked, it removed the hair color and it just looks like my natural color. I didn't rinse for 20 minutes, more like 10. Washed it again, rinsed for 5 the second time. It worked!