July 31, 2014 | 1012 users online

Shampoo - Burt's Bees - Very Volumizing Pomegranate & Soy Shampoo

rated 3 of 5 on 7/27/2012 10:08:00 PM More reviews by applejuice7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

As a lifetime user of drugstore shampoos all containing SLS, this shampoo along with the matching conditioner was my first ever try of an organic and sls free hair product. I have used it about two times now (one wash with my natural hair and another after wash with coconut oiled hair) and can say I'm actually surprised with the results but not impressed. I purchased the shampoo and conditioner off the official website for $10, otherwise it costs $8-$10 on the website or drugstores.

My experience with this shampoo is that it does smell lovely BUT a bit over powering. I used a quarter size amount (I have seriously thick hair) and found that the scent lingered even after rinsing many times. If you love strong smelling shampoos this a product for you! SIDE NOTE: The conditioner smells the same however there is an after smell that smells like nail polish. Did not like the conditioner at all.

Another pro is that this shampoo lathers quite well. Don't expect a lather like you would from Pantene or Garnier but my strands were squeaky! My scalp had retained some of it's natural oil (but as a side note I do have an oily scalp naturally). If you don't have an oily scalp you may have to use less product or apply oil before hand.

Lastly, I found that when my hair air dried the texture of my hair did change a bit. It still had frizz (and no volume but that's okay, I wasn't really looking for volume) but it was a bit smoother. I'm not sure if that is an outcome of the actual shampoo itself or the result of using an SLS free shampoo. Many factors involved so the only thing to do is keep trying other products as well.

FINAL THOUGHTS: If you want to try an SLS free shampoo, look for other cheaper alternatives (such as L'oreal) first to see if your hair can withstand no SLS. Some people get great results and others don't. This shampoo smells great but for the price it's a deal breaker. Unless you get it for a bargain like I did, give it a shot! All in all, there are way better products out there that will smell good, make your hair look fab, and not vacuum the money out of your wallet.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/2/2012 11:45:00 PM More reviews by loverofproducts

I literally don't know if I'd buy this product again... defintely not now, but if it was for like for 2 dollars... then maybe. This is only cause this used to be my favourite shampoo, and used to clean my hair so well......blahblabhlabhbab. Then, i got tired of the same smell everyday so decided to buy the mango one (the new one which was the worst shampoo ever and left my hair coatedddd)!!! - after that, i stopped using that and continued using this, and all of a sudden this didn't leave my hair swingly and light and i remembered. Instead it was coated and oily at the roots. :( .... so now i use another shampoo and this is discontinued anyways in toronto in canada :(

rated 4 of 5 on 5/24/2012 7:12:00 PM More reviews by Gteyez

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

As a person like myself who suffers from an oily scalp that needs to be washed every other day, I love this shampoo. My scalp is very sensitive to shampoo's containing SLS and the fact that this shampoo does not contain harsh ingredients; is such a huge plus. This is the only shampoo that I have repurchased and I will continue to use in the future. I hope Burt's Bee's does not discontinue this product. Whenever I use this shampoo, my scalp is less oily, I loose less hair in the shower, it makes my scalp less itchy and it does give a little volume. I think this product gives a decent amount of lather once it is worked (one should also remember that SLS shampoo's do not lather as much as other shampoos containing the ingredient). The only two cons about this product would be that it can be very drying.. but that can easily be fixed by using conditioner. Secondly, it can be a bit pricey. I don't use conditioner with this product because my natural oils are good enough to condition the hair. But I highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking of going SLS free and has a bit of an oily itchy scalp.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/22/2012 12:15:00 AM More reviews by jenlauren

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

After seeing these on sale at Target, I bought the shampoo and matching conditioner. The scent was unbelievable and I had to try it. Although the shampoo can have difficulty producing suds, I always find my hair to be clean and soft. I used this shampoo after a swimming class for 4 months, 3 days a week and it even saved my blonde hair from the damages of chlorine! Naturally!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2012 1:19:00 PM More reviews by Bsheth86

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I bought the new bottle and it doesn't have soy. Plain and simple, this shampoo sucks. It makes my scalp oily and my ends dry. Even when my hair is wet, I can feel the build up on my scalp. Oh and worst of all, it makes my scalp itchy with zero volume. For a drugstore brand, this product is expensive and I would skip it next time.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/24/2012 8:08:00 PM More reviews by cjbanick

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm conflicted as to how to write this. I will say this: this shampoo DOES clean your hair and scalp. When I used it, I could actually feel my hair squeaking. The problem is, I feel like because it was just shampoo without many other fancy additives, it was a bit harsh and dried out my hair. I admit that my hair is on the drier side to start with, but this really made my hair very brittle-feeling, although it did not cause damage or breakage. I recommend this if you're getting really dirty and need a good scrub, but I would stick to a gentler day-to-day shampoo.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/21/2012 2:36:00 PM More reviews by thetrueblue

I love this product SO much!!! I have pretty thick, typical Asian hair. It has some natural spontaneous 'wave' in it, and it gives my many layers sooo much texture! My hair produces a load of sebum, (therefore my hair is never dry for more than an hour) but after two days, I will have extremely greasy roots. This helps to even out the sebum. I love to use this with Super Shiny Mango Conditioner :).

rated 1 of 5 on 3/13/2012 12:48:00 PM More reviews by Figomezzo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have only used this once so maybe I shouldn't be writing this review, but I am so disappointed by it that I felt compelled to say something. I will give it another try tomorrow and see if it's any better. I have used Sulfate-free shampoos in the past and yes, they don’t lather as much so I knew that going into this that it probably wouldn’t later. No biggie. Well my fine hair feels so limp and coated right now. It really feels like the shampoo did the complete opposite of give my hair volume. I don’t normally return products but unless my fiancé will be able to use this on his thick hair...its going back!

rated 2 of 5 on 2/28/2012 2:53:00 PM More reviews by bravenewworld

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This shampoo just didn't work for me. I have very thin, wavy hair so it's difficult to find products that don't weigh it down and while this stuff was fairly light and smells great, it did horrible things to my hair. After one use, my hair was falling out far more than usual and even after giving it several days to adjust, it was still coming out it clumps. Furthermore, it made my hair really, really dry and super flyaway. After about two weeks, I had to stop using it entirely (which is annoying, considering how expensive such a little bottle is). I'm sure this product works for some people but if your hair starts falling out, then don't bother to keep using it - it probably won't get better.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/12/2012 5:38:00 AM More reviews by flyingwings

I have been using this shampoo for several months. I have horrible dermatitis on my scalp that is made worse by most shampoos (think chemical burn). Since Avalon Organics changed their ingredients, I had to look for a new shampoo that kept my scalp cleared up. This is much less irritating than the vast majority of shampoos, but it isn't perfect as I still get a bit scaly on my scalp. I have noticed that this shampoo with prolonged use has brought the waves in my hair out and made them pleasantly tame. It smells awesome when you are in the shower, but the smell fades fairly quickly as it dries. It's pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it. (It doesn't lather the same way as a regular shampoo. I kind of put some in, partially rinse my hair to work it through and put a little more in.) It does dry out your hair, so be sure to use conditioner (if you can, I can't). It also makes my hair look a little dull (not a lot duller, but noticeably not as shiny). I didn't notice it volumizing my hair at first, but after a couple of weeks of use, my hair is definitely fluffier. Several people have told me that my hair looks nice since I started using this, and that wasn't a compliment that I got much before, so it must be doing something right.