Sebamed Moisturizing Cream

4.2

Not tested on animals

on 10/25/2012 3:41:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool

I would give this 10 stars as nothing has worked as well for imparting moisture and calm to my skin! Ideal to use when doing TCA or Glycolic peels.

Pros:
PH balanced.
Absorbs wonderfully yet leaves skin fully hydrated and calm.
Inexpensive and a good amount for the price.
Calms better than anything.
I wake up with soothed, smoothed and refreshed skin.

Cons:
Jar packaging which can be unsanitary. Must use a spatula or fresh q-tip. However, this is a moisture cream, not an antioxidant treatment product,so the jar is not a deal breaker for me.
Fragrance. Not sure why a sensitive skin product contains fragrance but it does not irritate my skin or my sense of smell.
Hard to find, but CVS carries it and it can be easily purchased online.

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

Skin: Oily & Dehydrated. Prone to sensitivity and reactive to chemicals causing breakouts.
Mission: I struggle to find a moisturizer that is heavy enough to calm and smooth my dry flaky areas yet gentle enough to not cause reactions and breakouts. Also, I need something that will not cause me to become more oily and something that will work under makeup. Since being in my 30's, I have noticed my typical oily skin becoming very dry and flaky in the cheek area. I've tried many DS and HE creams to fix my problems but most were either too aggressive and caused clogged pores, greasiness and breakouts or too gentle and not fixing the flakes. Most heavy creams have shea butter and lots of oils in them which don't work for my skin.
Victory: After spending an hour at CVS recently reading ingredients and comparing creams, I ended up with Sebamed Moisturizing Cream. The claim for this cream is to maintain skin's proper ph blalance of 5.5 and contains no parabens. I read the ingredients and was content and hopeful that they wouldn't bother my skin. After years of trying to find the ideal moisturizer for my skin needs, I finally found it with Sebamed. This cream is extremely thick. In fact, you can unscrew the cap and hold the jar outside down and the cream will not budge! But, somehow this cream feels light on the skin and no greasy feel. This cream doesn't make my skin oily and it moisturizes the dry flaky areas very nicely. Also, this cream doesn't clog my pores or cause rashes or breakouts. I'm 100% satisfied with this cream. Also, CVS had it on sale for buy 1 get 1 free. This cream is affordable, it retails for $12.99 which is a few bucks more than a typical DS cream. The only con with this is the packaging. The cap is a thin stiff plastic cap and it can be a struggle trying to screw it on the jar correctly. But, this is such a minor complaint that it wouldn't prevent me from re-purchasing.
Ingredients: Water (Aqua), petrolatum, myreth-3 myristate, glycerin, cetearyl alcohol, tocopheryl acetate (Vitamin E), ceteareth-20, dimethicone, sodium PCA, sodium citrate, sodium carbomer, Fragrance (parfum), benzyl alcohol, phenoxyethanol

on 7/13/2012 6:25:00 PM

Finally found a drug store product that I love as a face moisturizerů I use this daily and la mer weekly. enough said...

on 7/13/2012 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

This cream is not moisturized at all. It is absorbed very very quickly, and I feel nothing in the face. No moist, no protect. And I don't like the strong scent. Overall, the body line and the soaps from seba are quite good, but the face line is another story.

on 6/4/2012 6:35:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I like it. Doesn't irritate my sensitive skin or break me out. Yes, I can see how the scent might bother some... But it goes away fast once you rub it in. I use it daily, even in the morning and it doesn't leave my face feeling greasy under my makeup. That's always a plus! It absorbs fast too. I think its a great, non irritating moisturizer and will continue to use it, unless I find something better, which I haven't yet.

on 4/11/2012 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This cream has a very strong scent that I don't like. It's a very basic cream but kinda irritating for my dry/sensitive skin, it gave a burning feeling to my skin maybe because of the "heavy" scent? It also was not hydrating enough for me. I gave it to my mom (normal skin) and she likes it.

on 2/13/2012 2:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

So far the only moisturized which doesn't cause me break outs or clog my pores as I have sensitive acne prone skin. Another thing I really like is that it absorbs quickly and is great under make up. The only thing I dislike is...that strange smell. I really hated it at first, but getting used to it now. Maybe it's just me, others seem to like the smell.
***
+ Doesn't irritate skin or clog pores
+ Absorbs quickly leaving skin smooth
+ Suitable under make up
+ Price ir good

- Dislike the smell.

on 1/22/2012 2:23:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I'm experiencing winter dry skin now, with red, sensitive cheeks. I bought this cream recently for it was reasonably priced, less than 10usd. It is a simple cream but a well-formulated one. After applying this product, my skin feels very comfortable, pampered and soothed. It looks smooth and glowing. It isn't a heavy moisturiser. It feels very light and doesn't clog pores but it moisturises well and the effect lasts all day.
I was slathering nivea creme on my face because it was so dry but i found that heavy moisturisers aren't suited to facial skin at all. It was pore-clogging and the weight felt like a burden on my face pulling my skin down.
I've been looking for a good moisturiser for a long time and this one suits me very well.

on 8/8/2011 10:39:00 AM

I bought this in Eastern Europe, so I don't know if the ingredients are the same as they are in the US version, but I hated it. It was very gel-like, and wouldn't blend in, and would just sit atop my skin, like a literal gel. It also made my face somewhat irritated and red, especially in the spots where I already have acne marks. I really didn't like this.

on 6/18/2011 3:56:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is one of only three moisturisers that have never stung or irritated my ridiculously difficult and sensitive face (the other two are Cetaphil and Vanicream, btw). While this cream isn't perfect, there's plenty I like about it:

-It's super gentle (it has parfum in it but it hasn't been a problem for me), even if you accidentally get it too close to your eyes
-The smell is pretty neutral
-It's emollient
-Incredibly moisturising without being a hard oily wax product (although, granted, it IS heavy)

I like that I can either glop a lot on when my face is very dry and irritated (and it makes me a shiny greasy disco ball but I use it at night and don't care), or warm a bit up and sort of press/pat onto my skin. It's very versatile in that way.

There will be a period of learning how to use this with your skin before you feel it works well for you. At first I used waaaay too much every time (I was used to crappy Neutrogena creams that irritate and never moisturise) and it gave me whiteheads. I also ended up so shiny I'm sure I could have reflected light. After I started using less product and learned to put the correct amount depending on my finicky skin that day (sometimes I put it on dry, others I use rose water or green tea on my skin, etc), I started to really like this. I even use it during the day oftentimes, even though it can make you shiny if you're not careful.

I really recommend this cream if you have difficult skin, but keep in mind what I said about getting to know the product and how it works on your skin. I still occasionally put too much on the sides of my mouth or chin and I get blocked pores from it. Still, it's a no-brainer choosing between this gentle, hydrating cream and some other crap that doesn't even moisturise and stings or irritates, aggravating preexisting problems. I'm not a fan of the tub but just wash your hands well before using and don't double dip. I only partially lifted the protective foil on my tub and my cream is still perfect with no fluff or bits and pieces of random crap in it.

Popular Moisturizers