The Body Shop Cocoa Butter Hand & Body Lotion

3.7

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Aqua (Water) (Solvent/Diluent), Theobroma cacao (Cocoa Butter) (Emollient), Glycerin (Humectant), Helianthus annuus (Sunflower Seed Oil) (Emollient), Ceteth-20 (Emulsifier), Octyl Palmitate (Emollient), Steareth-2 (Emulsifier), Dimethicone (Skin Conditioning Agent), Phenoxyethanol (Preservative), Benzyl Alcohol (Preservative), Carbomer (Stabiliser/Viscosity Modifier), Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Methylparaben (Preservative), Parfum (Fragrance), Propylparaben (Preservative), Sodium Hydroxide (pH Adjuster), Citronellol (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzophenone-4 (Sunscreen), Disodium EDTA (Chelating Agent), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Geraniol (Fragrance Ingredient), Amyl Cinnamal (Fragrance Ingredient), Hydroxycitronellal (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzyl Salicylate (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzyl Benzoate (Solvent), Isoeugenol (Fragrance Ingredient), Cinnamyl Alcohol (Fragrance Ingredient), Farnesol (Fragrance Ingredient), Citral (Fragrance Ingredient), Eugenol (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzyl Cinnamate (Fragrance Ingredient), CI 15985 (Colour), CI 19140 (Colour).

on 4/29/2010 5:54:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

I first used this about nine years ago and loved it. It smelled so delicious that I used it up faster than normal because I couldn't get enough of the fragrance. But when I recently bought a bottle I noticed the fragrance is different. It's more artificial and stronger. It's definitely not as nice as it used to be. I ended up throwing away the new bottle because I couldn't stand the fragrance.

on 8/31/2009 4:13:00 AM

This is certainly mousturizing and feels great, but wow, the smell. It's strong and cloying and smells nothing like the pleasant choco scent of other cocoa butter products or even The Body Shop's other cocoa butter products (I own the body butter). Maybe because it's concentrated and natural unlike Palmer's, etc.? I have gotten used to the smell and put it on every night all over my body, but if I had a significant other this would not be a possibility because the scent is just too bad, I would never put this on in the morning and go out of the house.

on 6/21/2009 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love the smell. Makes my skin glowy and soft. Using it in summer -- will have to see how it does in winter.

on 6/4/2009 9:46:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I keep trying products from The Body Shop and keep ending up disappointed.

Maybe I tried a "bad" bottle, but the cocoa butter lotion I tried was
1)watery
2)smelled HORRIBLE - like rancid oil and cheap perfume.

It was so bad it made me sick and dizzy. I went to the Bath & Body Works across the mall to wash my hands. It was really disgusting.

I've tried several products from TBS now - Coconut Body Butter, Brazil Nut Body Butter, Cocoa Butter Body Butter, Shea Body Butter, and Cocoa Butter Lotion. All were disappointing. None moisturzed as well as Palmer's Cocoa Butter Lotion, Cetaphil Lotion, or Aveeno Creamy Oil. They were all over-priced and over-hyped(IMO).

Would not repurchase.

Officially giving up on TBS. Please kick me if I go there and buy something again on a whim.

on 3/17/2009 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this recently as part of a mail order and was surprised to find that the scent is still the original scent which TBS brought out back in the 80's! One of the reviewers below mentioned this and that for a while they had changed the fragrance but I'm happy to say it's definitely the way it always was when I first ventured into TBS in my late teens. I love the scent of this lotion and will definitely be buying it regularly. It is doing wonders on my dry winter skin and it sinks right in after the application. I use it morning and night and my skin is becoming really silky. Plus I get a nostalgia trip every time I use it!

Easy open jar.

My daughter gave me this years ago & it just sat in a box in the basement since our move to this new home 6 yrs. ago. I ran across it & decided to finally try it. I use alot of solvent at my job & my hands can't soak up the lotions fast enough, but this is the best I've found so far. I ran out & didn't know where to turn until I decided to check the web. i got it at AmericaRx.com. you can buy it with out search.

Thanks so much! My daughter will order some tomorrow. I think it's even better than Eucerin!

on 7/17/2008 3:27:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

Lovely body lotion. I was a bit worried about the scent since I tend to dislike strongly fragranced products, but as it turns out, this scent is very pleasant and not irritating at all. I have this in my gym bag. It's the perfect product to use on your whole body after a shower because it absorbs quickly and gives enough moisture to keep my skin well-hydrated throughout the day.

on 10/15/2007 12:05:00 PM

It's back to it's original formula! This had been my HG body lotion since 1989, and then around five years ago, TBS changed the formula. The new formula looked and smelled like mud. Some people thought it smelled like chocolate, but for me it just smelled like mud. The new formula was also less smooth to apply. I was SO DISAPPOINTED!

Then today, while browsing at a TBS store in Europe, by chance I tried the tester of the Cocoa Butter Lotion, and to my amazement, they changed the formula back! I was so excited I bought three bottles. Please, TBS, please don't ever reformulate this product again. The original formula is moisturizing, easy to apply and smells great. It's perfect as is.

on 7/10/2007 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I really like this, except for the smell. Definitely not what I expected. It is a little sweet, almost a little floral, but also....a bit like burnt plastic. It isn't unbearable, but it is not what most 'cocoa butter' lotions have for a scent. The lotion is a fairly thin consistency, but moisturizes well. I like it in the summer months, as I use the butters for the winter. Makes skin feel smooth, especially if you use it after the cocoa butter body scrub (which I love!).

i love the smell- there's a nice, subtle hint of chocolate scent! its not greasy at all and it made my skin silky smooth!

Top Rated The Body Shop Products