MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

3.7

INGREDIENTS: talc, silica, isostearyl palmitate, methicone, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, phenoxyethanol May Contain: titanium dioxide CI77891, iron oxides CI77491 CI77492 CI77499, chromium oxide green CI77288, ultramarines CI77007 CI 77013

on 8/5/2015 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

As we all know mac is creme of the crop but this foundation is amazing! No caking at all and makes my skin look fabulous!

on 7/26/2015 5:04:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Went to a MAC store for the first time a month ago, and decided to buy one of their powders after sampling it. This powder is literally amazing. It controls my oily skin so well, haha and has really good coverage. Really happy with this product

on 7/23/2015 2:41:00 PM

I CANT SAY ENOUGH IN HOW AMAZING THIS POWDER FOUNDATION REALLY IS!!!!! I HAVE TRIED SO MANY HIGH END AND DRUGSTORE ONES AND NOTHING COMPARES TO MAC POWDERS. THE COVERAGE IS AMAZING, BUILDABLE AND NOT CAKEY. I HAVE COMBO OILY SKIN AND THIS POWDER REALLY CONTROLS THE OIL AND IF USING WITH THE BLOTTING POWDER, IT WORKS WONDERS!! I WILL ALWAYS REPURCHASE AND REPURCHASE THIS PRODUCT. IM IN NC25 AT 1ST I DID HAVE SO MUCH TROUBLE IN FINDING MY RIGHT SHADE, BUT WITH THEIR SHADE SELECTION, IT IS A BREEZE!!

FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR A POWDER FOUNDATION, LOOK NO MORE....

BUY THIS ONE!!!!! YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!

on 7/11/2015 6:26:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Please MAC: Never discontinue this product!

Shade range: amazing

Anyone who used MAC base products will know that they have a great shade range. (I’m personally NC20). The only thing I regret is that there isn’t a paler yellow toned shade that would match me in the winter.

Packaging: 5 out of 5

Just perfect, compact case with a separate compartment in the bottom for an applicator. As far as I remember, the case contains 12 grams of product, which will last you for ever. A tip: get rid of the applicator and get a softer puff from a drug store or use a brush to apply the product.

Consistency: 5 out of 5

Finely milled powder which will give you a soft, almost airbrushed effect if you have oily-combo skin.

Coverage: 5 out of 5

Definitely good medium leaning towards full. I wouldn’t expect to get more coverage from a powder product.

Finish: 4 out of 5 (very subjective, depends what you like)

Not for dry skin as it will accentuate any dryness. On my oily-combo skin it looks demi matte for the first hour after the application, than more ‘natural’ as the natural oils on in my skin start ‘melting it’ into the skin. A tip: use a blotting powder first before you apply this product and it will last longer and look better. It does oxidize on my and after about 2 hours of wear gets a shade darker. I have extremely oily T-zone, so I need to touch up throughout the day. The great thing about this product is that no matter how many times you touch up, it does not get cakey, as long as you blot the oils away first. A tip: use a tissue to blot the shine away, follow with a blotting powder, than use MAC powder + foundation and you will look just as fresh as you did in the morning.

Longevity: 3 out of 5

When it melts into the skin it melts beautifully giving you an almost air-brushed effect. I definitely need to blot and re-apply throughout the day, but, at least it looks great no matter how many times you re-apply unlike many other ‘high end’ products.

Would I buy it again? I keep repurchasing it all the time.

on 7/8/2015 1:44:00 PM

I have combination skin but when I wear foundation I can get oily rather quickly. I really really like this powder. I can wear it on its own, like a powder foundation with my Real Techniques buffing brush so I can get more coverage (and it sure gives you coverage!) or, if I put on liquid foundation, I just apply a little bit with a big fluffy brush to set and it works really well.
The only thing I would insist on is that it can look very cakey if you put foundation and then set it with a heavy hand so don't go overboard!
Overall, I like it because it is reliable for oily girls like me, but I would not recommend if you are normal to dry, it would be too much for you.
I would repurchase just because the fact that it can be worn on its own, which is a big saviour when I'm in a hurry or just super lazy.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I have a huge love/hate relationship with this product.
I love the instant finish it provides on my skin. I normally wear MAC Pro Longwear concealer & MAC Studio Fix Fluid then apply the MAC Studio Fix Powder on top.
First tip - do not buy the same shade as your MAC Studio Fix Fluid. I am normally a NW15 and thought the powder would be the exact same however I was wrong.
The powder was much lighter then the fluid and I found I had to touch up with some bronzer to balance out the white ghost look I had going on.
I must admit if you do buy the right shade it will be great. It gives a great full coverage and you can get away with wearing it without any fluid foundation underneath.
The problem I have with it is I have oily skin, especially in my T zone and find I have to touch up throughout the day. However after touching up I am left with a very cakey look as opposed to the beautiful finish it left me with earlier in the day.
If you don't like powders feeling heavy on you then do not choose this as it is full coverage and can be a bit much by the end of the day.
I also don't use the sponge it comes with, I prefer to use my own powder brush instead.
Overall a great product and I do continually buy this once I have run out.

on 7/3/2015 2:26:00 PM

I bought it with the thought of getting a "full coverage" powder foundation. I have normal skin and this separated on me, no matter how much I blended it would not look good or even on me. I tried using the sponge and it looked cakey, I used a brush and it looked uneven. I now use it on top of tinted moisturizers as a powder and to give some coverage, but I see no use for it as a foundation on my skin.

Pros:
Packaging is sleek and easy to take everywhere
Looks great as a powder on top of light foundation

Cons:
Price is way too high
Separates on me like crazy
Looks cakey
Very light coverage - close to none

Skin: Oily, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I love this powder foundation, great for everyday wear . Check out my video to see how I use this powder to achieve a natural makeup look. Press ▶️ 👇

on 6/27/2015 2:05:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

At $27, this is such a great value for a powder foundation. It provides medium coverage which you can control - experiment with a brush as well as the sponge that is included.

I've updated parts of this review 8/6/2015 because I was re-matched to a different color.

I am really happy that MAC has kept this in the line since the 90s and even kept my perfect shade N3. The original color system was N and C, and then later the color range was expanded to all the NW and NC shades in the hopes of accommodating more skin tones. But they still make N3. (I have now been re-matched to C3, to my surprise.)

As with all pressed powder foundations, I love how quick and easy they are to apply. This can also be used as a finishing powder (even though it has more coverage than a setting powder) over a sheer tinted moisturizer like Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue.

MAC was smart to make this fragrance free. I always feel that when a cosmetics company comes out with a foundation that contains fragrance, they are really behind the times. Most women don't want their foundation to be scented, and those of us with sensitive skin don't need one more possible irritant - we have enough problems already. MAC has a vanilla scent to the lipsticks but they use vanillin, which is non-sensitizing. The rest of MAC's makeup items (powders, eyeshadows, concealers) are fragrance free.

This has a great finish, and holds up well throughout the day. If you have truly oily skin using pressed powders can contribute to acne. This is true of most pressed powders, not just this brand. It is the most common complaint among reviewers who stop using their powder foundation.

For just blotting oil, you can use MAC Blot Powder instead of applying more of this. I find that Blot Powder doesn't build up on the skin but if you keep applying powder foundation on top of itself, all day, it can get cakey.

I also reviewed the elegant Chantecaille Compact which does have a more skinlike finish than this. Chantecaille doesn't wash out when photographed, in case that is a pet peeve of yours and you're dying to switch. However, remember that Chantecaille is $66 versus $27 for MAC. If you're on a budget and simply can't afford to blow your savings on makeup, Studio Fix is more affordable. The color range in MAC is broad - I'd be shocked if someone couldn't find a decent match.

I've repurchased this several times over the years. I used to keep a spare Studio Fix in my desk at work, and was grateful to have it in my carry-on when I was stranded at the airport one time with no access to my checked baggage.

I find the best way to use Studio Fix (or any other powder foundation) is over a separate product that contains sunscreen. I am in love with MAC Beauty Balm in Light Plus. Everyone thinks I have good skin. It's not that great; the BB makes it appear great. I get my SPF 35 from it, though, and then powder foundation looks fantastic over it. I've used several different ones.

Before the MAC BB, I was using Hourglass Mineral Primer SPF 15, and then I switched to a sunscreen from Paula's Choice that was less expensive. These didn't contain color; just provided SPF. So I'd use a little concealer where needed (under the eyes, the sides of the nose, and/or a blemish I wanted to hide) and finish with powder foundation. Sometimes I need full coverage and then I prefer a liquid foundation. Liquids tend to mesh with the skin better than powders and many are longer-wearing. Liquids are better at hiding acne, and a lightweight liquid is less likely to feel heavy after several hours.

Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation remains a favorite after all these years, and I'm so glad you can still buy the original colors as well as the new ones.

My re-match on 8.6.15: A MAC MA told me that I am no longer N3, and my jaw almost hit the floor. He said, no, it's much too pink and light for you now. Let me put you in C3. It looked good. I told him that I was shocked, but he showed me in two different mirrors. He seemed to be correct. However, I will get paler, I intimated to him. He said, if you were lighter, I'd put you in C2. But definitely not N3. So he put C2 on my chin. It balanced out some pink on my chin that wasn't quite hidden by my Beauty Balm, but yeah, it might be a touch too light for summer. He said C3 is perfect for me right now, and then I could switch to C2. This guy knows his stuff. But I used to be too pale for C3. Must be that California sunshine.

on 6/25/2015 8:09:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I love this powder, the colors are the best! The NC35 is a perfect match for me. The coverage is awsome, the only downside for me is that if I use it too many times in a row, it will cause me to breakout like crazy! I wish my skin would love it as much, but I always keep one in my beauty stash for special occasions.

Video Reviews & Tutorials