MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation

3.7

INGREDIENTS: talc, silica, isostearyl palmitate, methicone, caprylyl glycol, hexylene glycol, phenoxyethanol May Contain: titanium dioxide CI77891, iron oxides CI77491 CI77492 CI77499, chromium oxide green CI77288, ultramarines CI77007 CI 77013

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

OVERALLL: i have dry skin so i use this powder a bit differently than most people, but i think that almost everyone would have a use for this in their collection. i think it's great for covering my veins on my eyelids which is what i use it for mainly, but it's also great to dab just on top of a spot (or zit or whatever you want to call it). i find it too drying for all over my face, with or without liquid foundation underneath, but i do have very dry skin.

MY ROUTINE: if i'm not putting on much makeup and just going minimal i will often put a little bit of liquid concealer on my under eyes and blend the excess up onto my lids. however, having lovely purple veins and red splotches over my lids i top off that powder with the studio fix powder on a real techniques contour brush. this 100% covers everything and it's beautiful! a very easy way to open up my eyes without wearing heavy makeup. eyeshadows blend like a dream with this as a base, and do last longer too. not as good as an eye primer (i love the one by smashbox) but good for under a crease colour or something :)
another thing i use it for is spots. i'll put on a liquid foundation and/or concealer and then take my ring finger, lightly rub the pan and pat on top of where the spot is. this is very full coverage and doesn't budge at all! it's great!
the last thing i use it for is the reason i bought it, but i would preach caution if you decide to do this. i unfortunately had a severe allergic reaction to a product i had swatched on my neck (to check for reactions!) and had very red, very sensitive, almost weeping skin. and of course a big event the next day. so i bought this and packed it on with a sponge that morning. it didn't irritate it much, way less than any other makeup i had put on. nothing else would cover it so i was so relieved and happy when this did! it has no SPF, so didn't flashback and draw attention to it in photos, and only people who had seen my reaction before noticed anything on my neck! but, you shouldn't put makeup on broken, sensitive skin, but i have to be honest and say what i did! and i would only ever do it for a big event!

MY COLOUR: i bought NW15, although i am NC10-15 normally, this was the shade of my neck so i went for it :)the best part is they do NC/NW10 in these! :D yay! hurray for all us girls too pale for the normal MAC shades!

LONGEVITY: i don't have anything, powder, foundation, concealer, anything that lassts as long as this on my skin. very impressive.

FORMULA: very very drying! if you have dry skin don't expect to be able to use this as a foundation/all-over-powder. if you have normal skin, be aware that it may emphasize dry patches or texture you have. if you have oily skin, you'll probably love it, but i don't have oily skin so i don't know first hand.

PACKAGING: it's ok, it has a little mirror, that is ok for maybe checking if you need a touch up but personally i don't thing it's large enough to do your makeup with, if you're travelling or something. another point is that when you open it, there is a compartment beneath the pan that contains a flat, round sponge (which i don't use but if you like applying powders with them go for it!) so be aware your pan is not as deep as you think it would be looking at the outside of the packaging. also it can be annoying when your pan flips up when you're trying to open it and i'm very afraid that i'm going to smash it by doing that!!!

COVERAGE: very full coverage. i apply it to my eyelids (where i want full coverage) with a real techniques contour brush to get the coverage. if you need VERY full coverage to cover something like a faded tattoo (it's won't cover pure black ink, but in case you have a lighter one or want to top off full coverage concealer with this to cover one) use a sponge. the one that comes with is fine, but i prefer the real techniques miracle complexion sponge with the flat side (can you tell i love real techniques?) if you're topping it up i wouldn't recommend putting 2 heavy layers on, so i'd go in with a few light layers using duo fiber brushes.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I mostly use it for my dark eye circles with their concealer. I'm a NC45.

Pros:
-Nice coverage
-Does not leave my skin looking dry
-Definetely caters to all skin tones
-A bit pricey but honestly I only buy one a year.
-Lasts a long time. I use it almost daily and it lasts the whole year.
-Nice quality

Cons:
-Don't drop it because it does crack easily
-Does not last all day unless you use a setting spray

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I don't really like liquid foundations so I have tried a lot of powder foundations.
That powder I don't like at all (I used NC42): it has far not creamy texture, it oxidizes and becomes peachy on me, it looks cakey with time, just after setting that powder up I see every the smallest hair on my face. And what is the worse, it breaks me out! Cannot understand why world like that product so much.

Absolute staple product for me!!

It's a powder foundation that I find behaves like a liquid on my skin-- nearly impossible to find IME.

Feels lighter on the skin and isn't as occlusive as a liquid foundation. I am between nc15 and nc20 during the winter (like right in between). I use this powder in nc15 bc it is going to oxidize a tad (it's powder). I use maybelline fit me in the shade sand to cover my darker marks and undereye. Then I take this powder on a flat top brush and stipple and blend it in. That's it-- my base is finished in about a minute and it gives a solid medium coverage. No skin redness or discoloration will show through and my pores are largely blurred away.

Leaves a matte finish, but it is a natural matte. I will need to touch up at about the 5 hour mark. I actually don't find it cakey to reapply this powder if using a light hand. Sometimes I'll touch up w MSFN instead.

Blushes/bronzers, etc blend BEAUTIFULLY over this powder. Seriously this has all the perks of a liquid foundation yet it's powder. Great job, MAC!!

I always have a compact of this on hand. I feel like it won't hold up to my oily skin in the summer so I really only use it fall, winter and early spring --

But this is my go to foundation routine for every day wear

I use the MAC Studio Fix Powder Plus Foundation in NC41. The coverage is great considering this is a pressed powder. I have a few brown spots from acne scars and it provides a sheer coverage of the spots too and gives an even skin tone after application. The face looks made up but not cakey. This powder did not give me acne or cause oiliness. This is a perfect everyday office wear foundation. It is very matte and like other reviewers mentioned it can also double up as powder after your liquid foundation application. It comes with a sponge applicator and it is very easy and quick to apply. The foundation lasts for maximum 6 hours for me. It is great for anyone starting out with make up and for those comfortable with liquid foundation. It is a must buy if you are a less is more person when it comes to your base.
Update: I forgot to add this to my review earlier and wanted to include this because a lot of people have complained of acne after using this foundation. I have combination skin and I have acne/small pimples during my period. So I have an acne prone skin in general. Most of this hormonal acne don't leave spots on my skin but the ones I picked on earlier in my teenage have left some spots on me. I have had a reduction in acne since the last year because of reducing the number of products I use on my face. So, I am very particular when it comes to moisturisers or sunscreen to my face because I want to keep up the good skin phase I'm having now. After unsuccessful attempts with many moisturisers - gave me a greasy, heavy feeling and small pimples by the end of the day, I have totally skipped moisturising. Considering this history, this powder foundation has been so good for my skin - no clogging, no acne or spots, no occlusive feeling. I have used this for 1.5 years now. Still going strong.

This has been my go-to powder for years and for good reason! The coverage is great and I typically use it as a foundation on work days, or use it over liquid foundation on heavier makeup days. As someone with fairly oily skin it helps to control oily patches i get throughout the day and is easily build-able with the small sponge that's included if I do need a touch up. Will continue to be a holy grail product of mine!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I really really like this product. I purchased this in the shade NC20 which is an ivory/pale yellow shade. I actually use this on top of MAC Face and Body just in my t-zone and it does a superb job of controlling excess oil whilst providing a bit more coverage. It contains a sponge which is useful for touch ups as I carry this around with me too. It doesn't leave a cakey finish despite being a powder foundation and it doesn't irritate my skin whatsoever. This has become a staple in my routine and I will definitely repurchase when I eventually run out as I find a little goes a long way. I'm really pleased with it and highly recommend for use as a setting powder or as a foundation :)

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This gives you as mentioned below the "MAC face" (flawless full coverage) when it's used to set MAC Studiofix liquid fdtn or their cream fdtn or use it alone as fdtn. I'm 1 of the lucky 1s who doesn't break out. This is gr8 for my extremely oily skin it soaks up sops up oil & I have to use blot papers during the day yes but that's typical a fact of life. This is the best I've tried. MAC is my fave line in general so I'm unabashedly biased haha no nope no affiliation I don't work there never got anything free besides a couple of samples in my orders. :)

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

I love this product. So do my mum and I have been using it for almost 8 years. I just need a little amount of it and I am done. :)
It is very light but very bendable to my skin. I read some of the comment that it made their skin break out but thankfully mine does not (maybe it because I applied it a little)

The best part of it is this powder stays long and just look good without having me to re-buying it again in a short period of time.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I really like this! For reference I have combo skin with facial eczema. This does not bother my face in the least and doesn't enhance dry patches. I wore this all day and evening over a tinted sunscreen and reapplied about 3 times over 14 hours. I probably didn't need to reapply but it was so easy and pretty. I did end up overdoing it and looked a bit cakey, but I was able to smooth it out a bit and spritz with fix + and we were back in business! So far I've used this on its own and as a setting powder using a big fluffy brush. Although I have dry skin, I really love this product. So easy and convenient and serious coverage! This looks amazing when I set my under eye concealer...from a distance. Close up it does look heavy under the eyes. I have serious dark circles so sometimes I like the extra coverage - just moisturize well and don't use under the eye if you have "mature skin" :) It does oxidize a bit so if you are between two colors, get the lighter. If you aren't sensitive to talc, silica, or cones, give it a try.

Video Reviews & Tutorials