September 17, 2014 | 2055 users online

Self Tanners - Banana Boat - Sunless Summer Color Tinted Lotion Light/Medium

rated 2 of 5 on 6/25/2012 5:50:00 PM More reviews by jessamay

Maybe I am missing something here as many seem to really like this self tanner but I don't think it works very well and the scent they use to cover up the self tanner smell is quite strong and not pleasant. I am using this on my legs so I can only imagine how strong the smell would be if I used is closer to my nose. I am very fair with yellow undertones and this color is OK on me. It veers towards golden brown but it doesn't quite make it - it looks a little more like yellow brown. The application is decent as it goes on smoothly (though it does not seem to sink in or really stick) and as others have noted, it washed off quickly. It really is the smell that ruins this one for me. I might buy again but as the color is only OK, the smell cancels it out. I will keep looking for a great, cheap self tanner to replace the expensive ones I do love - Clarins and St. Tropez....

rated 5 of 5 on 6/20/2012 4:41:00 PM More reviews by toriknuckles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This product is absolutely wonderful for a girl or guy with a naturally light complexion or a red undertone to their hair. I am a fair skinned, strawberry blonde girl and achieving a natural tan is virtually impossible for me. A quick (well applied) layer of this and I'm golden and beach ready! I used it about an hour after I shaved my legs and did notice a bit of a burn in the beginning but after a few minutes it disappeared and there were no bumps or marks left behind. The tan does take a couple hours to appear but after it shows up it is gorgeous! Definitely worth the price! My suggestion would be to exfoliate well, lotion up your feet, ankles, elbows and knees then apply. There is a visible tint to help you with the application process and making sure it is well distributed!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/16/2011 10:48:00 PM More reviews by Betsss

I finally found a self tanner that works for me! The color is a nice natural brown with pink undertones. No orange here! I applied it with my ulta sunless tanning mitt and it went on with little streaking. But the small amount of DHA smell is the best part! This product has the lowest amount of odor of any I've used. When I mix it 50/50 with my coco butter lotion you can't even smell it! HG for sure.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2011 4:51:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

I've tried tons of self tanners, including Jergens, Clarins, Neutrogena and L'Oreal. This is my favorite! All self tanners have that weird smell, there's no getting around that due to the main ingredient, but I find that Banana Boat stinks the least. Light/Medium is a bit too gradual for me, so when I run out I'll buy Deep/Dark instead.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2011 1:56:00 AM More reviews by Tresha

I love this self-tanner. I'm naturally tan tan tan, so I use this to give my skin an added extra golden glow. The light/medium doesn't make me too dark. It's an awesome golden tan that looks natural on me. It's doesn't smell gross like most self-tanners. And, it's cheap. Love Love Love Update: This has become my holygrail tanner. I use this once a week for the best glow. And, it has never broke me out! Great stuff. And it is mega cheap!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/10/2011 10:30:00 AM More reviews by calamityjane85

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I am very impressed with this! No streaks, paid 6.99 at ulta so the price is cheap and it works well! i think next time i will get the dark one though. there is relatively no smell which is the best part. i didnt use gloves and it washed off my hands fine. i will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2011 2:03:00 PM More reviews by bankston76

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm really surprised that this doesn't have a higher rating. For reference, I'm very white with yellow undertones. My legs look like casper. This doesn't have a strong smell, it goes on easily and dries pretty quickly. When I woke up the next morning I obviously had missed some spots on my feet but my legs were tan! It certainly doesn't take several applications for this to give you color. And, the best part is it lasted over a week without re-applying. It's a good color, not orange, a nice tan color. And, it was only about 6$ at walmart. I'm sticking with this for now because I haven't found anything that comes close to it, works fabulously for me. I can't imagine how tan I would be if I used it every day!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2011 9:13:00 AM More reviews by shoeluver99

I can honestly say I was impressed with this self tanner. I heard a tip on the radio about applying self tanner to get a streakless finish. You should exfoliate your whole body for 3 days and put lotion all over afterward. Then after the 3rd day, apply the self tanner. I was amazed at how smooth it went on, how streakless I was--and I had a nice tan color. With any self tanner, you have to be careful to make sure it's applied evenly and rubbed in very well....and dont let water trail down your arms or it will make tiny streaks.

I apply it all over and then use a damp rag to lightly go over the insides of my arms so they aren't as dark as the tops (since you don't naturally tan on the underneath forearm). I wash my hands very thoroughly with soap and water and then apply just a tiny bit to the tops of my hands, rubbing it in with the backs of my hands. That way, I don't end up with tan arms and white "Mickey Mouse"-gloved hands! The tan looks more authentic.

You have to reapply every 2 or 3 days to keep your tan, but that's not bad considering the price you'd pay to go get a weekly spray tan. It does have the typical self tanner smell, but it's really not too bad. I put it on at night, let it dry for several minutes before getting dressed in my pjs, then later on, go to bed....I wake up with a fabulous tan and after I shower, the smell is gone!

For the price and convenience, you really can't beat BB light/med sunless tanner. I will DEFINITELY purchase again and will use it all summer long!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2011 9:59:00 PM More reviews by cp311

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I used this throughout last summer to give my skin a little color - I'm naturally very pale, and can look slightly unhealthy at times if I don't use a self tanner in the warmer months. I also used this right before my high school graduation, and don't look too pale in any of the pictures. I'll definitely buy more.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/13/2010 6:28:00 PM More reviews by tallsexysavannah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I loved this at first, very cheap, and nice color, however i didn't like the color it turned my hands. It made me very self conscious and it looked really really bad. other than that i was happy with the overalll color but what really determines the greatness of a tanner is the impact on the hands. i washed them every five minutes as i applied the lotion however they were still blotchy and orange. thankfully baking soda and a hard scrub in the shower got it almost completely off.