April 19, 2014 | 1117 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - bare Minerals Foundation #2/#3 & Mineral Veil

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2012 4:45:00 PM More reviews by Sparklypinkgirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This mineral veil gives a nice finish, bt does not control oil for me. With my super oily skin, after an hour or two I am all shiny. If your skin is not as oily as mine though I think this would be a good product for you.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/4/2012 6:44:00 AM More reviews by JennaMB

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Best mineral foundation I've used. Also the most expensive, but for a reason! I am NC25 and wear Medium Beige in the product, in the container it doesn't seem to suit my skin, but it appears to adapt to my skin tone very well once on, looks completely seamless

This is a fantastic mineral foundation that leaves a radiant, healthy and yet lasting finish!
One of my favourite things about this foundation is actually how well it photographs! In every photo my skin looks flawless and even toned, radiant is really the word. A lot of reviews and make-up artist types claim because of the spf and reflective particles in this foundation it gives off a "flash back" effect where your face looks whiter than normal, but having been wearing this foundation since 2007, I can say it looks fantastic in photos!

PROS:
natural lasting finish

improves skin, seems to dry out pimples without drying out the rest of your skin

great packaging especially with introduction on the inside bit that you can twist to close and stop foundation spilling everywhere

photographs very well

CONS:
does not feel as luxurious going on skin as liquid does

need to buy very high quality "dense" kabuki brush to get the most out of this product.

pricy!

often hard to find in shops and have to purchase at beauticians which often overcharge.

I think this foundation could really suit any skin type especially those with uneven skin tones. If you're going to buy it, make sure you invest in a very high quality kabuki brush as mineral foundation gives the best coverage when it is literally "buffed" into the skin, (this can be a bit irritating and hard to get use to at first for mineral virgins)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2012 9:13:00 PM More reviews by Gracious_Lady

Way back when I used to use Bare Minerals, I used the Deep/Dark and mineral veil and liked it at first. However, I never understood how to get this to not exacerbate pore visibility. No matter how many times I used to swirl, tap and buff, it remained an issue. Same for oil control... it remained an issue no matter how many times I layered the powders! Also, I was never completely satisfied with the foundation color choices for my caramel colored complexion. Deep/Dark made me look slightly ashy. I think I stayed with Bare Minerals so long because I thought this was the best choice at the time. Then, the final straw...over time, Bare Minerals began to irritate my skin and eyes, making both burn and itch. Clearly, I had a reaction to the product over time because it was out of the blue after a few years use. All in all, a final analysis of Bare Minerals is that it wasn't doing much for me at all and actually began to do more harm than good. So when I got the allergic reaction, I did some research online and I ditched Bare Minerals for Alima which has an absolutely beautiful array of mineral foundation shades for women of color. Again, I didn't want to give up on mineral makeup. Alima worked beautifully for me and never irritated my skin or eyes. However, when I went on Accutane 3 years ago, mineral makeup became to drying for my face, so I gave up mineral makeup completely. After the Accutane treatment, I started using Origins (gasp) stay-tuned balancing liquid foundation which is mild, paraben-free and helps balance my now combination skin. I've been happier ever since. However, if I ever went back to mineral makeup, it would be Alima for sure.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/30/2012 12:51:00 PM More reviews by lealorraine

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't see what is so great about this product. I got this in a Sephora exclusive package, along with some other things. I didn't like any of the products that this came with. First of all, the packaging is terrible. I opened the package and the powder came flying out all over the place. I also had to use a lot of the product to cover anything on my face. It didn't even have great coverage once it was all over my face! All that it actually did was make any zits or imperfections I had look 10 times worse. In fact, wearing this product made me discover that I had a few zits I didn't know I had. It's so strange because every woman I know talks about how great this product is and how great the coverage is. I just don't see it. I think this product is a waste of money.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2012 1:25:00 AM More reviews by MissBronx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought BM starter kit two year ago when a beauty therapist introduced it to me. I have prone acne skin and it gives full coverage. Fully covered my lumpy pumpy skin. And I can use it as concealer as well.
I have been repurchased it for so many times, sadly it doesn’t give full coverage for dried up spot. But I still can live with it. Happy with this product.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/18/2012 3:41:00 PM More reviews by joanjin07

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Black

Because I have extremely extremely sensitive skin (meaning if I put on a foundation or finishing powder that isn't compatible with my skin, I immediately break out or get tiny bumps that appear all over my skin) I've been forced to stick with certain powder foundations (vs. liquid foundation).

I began using Bare Escentuals years ago, but switched to Benefit powder foundation when I discovered how infinitely better the quality of Benefit powder foundation is. Recently I've started using Bare Escentuals again as my daily foundation, using Benefit powder only on special occasions, etc., however, because I've realized that it is the only foundation that actually clears up my skin. (Benefit was better than most foundations on my skin, but it still gave me tiny bumps if I wore it for too long a period of time.)

So here are the pros & cons of Bare Escentuals:

PROS
--actually cleared up my skin, preventing me from breaking out and actually giving me smoother skin
--cheaper than most foundations -- esp, if you buy it off of ebay, you can get it for ~$16

CONS
--compared to Benefit powder, the powder is not as finely ground
--very light coverage - for better coverage, you should intensely moisturize first or use a very good primer, especially if you're going for that polished, perfect skin look rather than the bare-skin-no-makeup look.
--pretty drying - it actually gives me creases on my forehead and along my nose... the most oily parts of my face! I feel like this probably helps clear up my skin (by soaking up the oils) but still, I'm 23, I shouldn't have any wrinkles yet! I've started intensely moisturizing those areas prior to applying foundation
--color is meh - it's alright.
--without reapplication of the mineral veil throughout the day, your face doesn't look as smooth and flawless as it would with benefit. pores may become more visible if you tend to sweat more.

Despite its flaws, I continue to use BareEscentuals on a dailly basis. It's cheap, keeps my skin clear, not great for special occasions, but it works alright. I think that it's best for those who are starting to wear foundation for the first time, or for those who want a bare-face, natural, no-makeup look. If you want that perfect, porcelain-face look, this probably isn't for you. Just know that there are much much better foundations out there.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2012 4:02:00 AM More reviews by iamsara123

I have normal to dry skin, and use the shade "Fairly Light" in the original formula (not Matte) and it is amazing. When I look in the mirror, my skin looks gorgeous. I am very acne prone, and the coverage with this stuff is unbelievable. I wonder if the people who don't like it are using too much product. I tap less than 1/8th of a tablespoon into the lid, and it covers my whole face. I can supply a before and after, unedited, side by side that shows the difference after a 5 minute application. I am also very pale with a yellow undertone, and this blends seamlessly into my neck. I can't tell I'm wearing anything at all. My boyfriend wears white T-Shirts every day, and there is no rub off, either just after application or after a walk in the sun. Bonus: My blackheads are disappearing! My advice: Use less product, tap off all excess, and be firm with the buffing. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but it sure works for me!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/5/2012 11:49:00 PM More reviews by lekiss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I completely agree with the reviewer below - believe me, I bought bare minerals like 293852935 times to convince myself it didn't work for me (literally, was I the only one?). And I have tried and thoroughly tested most of the mineral makeup lines - Jane Iredale, PurMinerals, Youngblood, Bare Escentuals - just to name a few. The composition of minerals or the ingredients that create the 'luminosity' also make me look like a disco ball. I'd rather wear zero makeup and have my face look a bit oily, than have this on and MAGNIFY every single pore (I didn't know I had) and just completely pool in them - and to add to that, the glitter in the pores is the most horrendous look one can have. I believe now (at least it's my theory) that it's the high Mica content in most of the makeups - to give them that glow, light deflecting optical illusion type thing actually ends up getting worse over the day on my oily skin and makes my skin look horrendous. Sure, it looks 'glowy' from 10 feet away, but who would be standing that far away? Let's get real - I want to look my best up close. Ew. Never again. I will never jump on the mineral powder(s) bandwagon, and most definitely not trying any Bare Escentuals product ever again.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/31/2012 10:08:00 PM More reviews by patty48

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Still looking for a HG foundation. This foundation magnified every pore and wrinkle on my face (even ones I didn't know I had!), At first I though it looked great, then moved into a different light - holy cow!!!!what happened. Tried to buff it out, nothing, then got really oily looking in my T zone. Kept trying to perfect it for a week, then I broke out something wild on my chin and forehead. Obviously not the foundation for me. Back to Sephora!!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/31/2012 9:26:00 PM More reviews by GSTENING

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using this product for a month now and i have totally broken out in pimples - particularly on my forehead. I have decided today that I am no longer going to use this product. I have never have acne let alone a pimple my whole life - and as soon as i started to use this product my skin erupted with what seems like a life times worth of pimples that i missed out on! on the other hand my sister uses the product and swears by it still - i really just think it depends on your skin type.