July 30, 2014 | 1567 users online

Loose Powders - Kryolan - Anti Shine Powder

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2011 6:20:00 PM More reviews by melody983

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Wow. This is the only product I have ever used that has noticeably reduced and even eliminated (!) my greasies. No other anti-shine gel, primer, treatment, powder, etc., has ever been able to touch the oil factory within my pores.
Here's my skin low-down: acne-prone, on Differin/Retin-A for years, also use benzoyl peroxide face wash (harsh, but doctor ordered, and my face freaks if I go gentler for any amount of time). I also suffer from face sweat. serious, hyperhydrosis -need to carry a hanky in the summer- territory. My face starts dripping before the rest of my body even notices the temperature. Lastly, my greasiness level is pretty high, I'm normally shiny about an hour after I wash my face and no makeup, it takes maybe two hours when I use mineral makeup, sooner if it's hot out.
The amazing thing with this powder is I'll still sweat in the heat, but after dabbing with my hanky, the powder is still working and there's no lingering shine! Normally the sweat would evaporate but leave a sticky oily film behind. With this, I just have a "healthy glow" at most. I am so used to being a greasy sweaty mess in the summer that I've found I get angry/cranky in hot weather because I know I look like a mess. But, I was walking around NYC the other day with my boyfriend on a 98+ degree day, feeling super gross and self-conscious, but my boyfriend was like, hun, you look great (even kind of surprised himself).
About the product and usage: I got this from ebay, very affordable and the jar is huge. I would not be surprised if this lasted 5+ years at my rate. I just sprinkle a bit of it into the lid and use a fluffy brush to swipe it onto my forehead, nose and chin over my MMU. It can look a bit white and powdery at first but that goes away once it starts sopping up oil.
Now some disclaimers: I do think this can clog pores. Because of this, I really only use it on my T-zone, where I have the largest pores and the grease level is the highest. Also, any tiny zits I get on my forehead are short-lived and generally not problematic. I leave my cheeks alone because they are less oily, acne here would be a bigger problem, and I don't need a totally matte face... a little sheen on my cheekbones is fine. All in all, I am willing to get a few forehead bumps (under my bangs) just to use this product. BUT this is not for the faint of heart, be careful where you put it if you do have acne or less than moderately oily skin. I really think this is best for people who have excessive amounts of shine and have tried other products with no luck.
This really is a life saver for me, I am still amazed at how well it works, considering how similar it looks to other finishing powders- but the comparison stops there. There is no other product I can think of that makes such a noticeable, immediate difference in the appearance of my skin.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2011 10:31:00 AM More reviews by Michele1620

I've been using this powder to set my foundation for several months now. It's completely translucent, which I love because it doesn't alter the color of my foundation. I definitely think it keeps my combo skin's shine at bay, yet it doesn't make my skin look so matte that it looks flat. If you're looking for a very matte look this might not be for you or you may want to try it in combination with a matte, oil-control foundation (think Revlon's Color Stay foundation). The powder isn't as finely milled as some other finishing powders out there (MUFE HD powder, for example) but it doesn't look dry/cakey when applied so I think that it is pretty decent.

You get a lot of product for the money. The sifter in the jar releases way to much product so you may want to only remove 1/2 of the plastic film when you first open it to keep the product contained. Being that the jar is pretty large, I purchased a small sifter jar from Sephora to fill and bring with whenever I travel.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/27/2011 3:18:00 AM More reviews by kitecat2000

Well, unfortunately my experience with this powder is not so...positive. After spending days on the internet to find the perfect powder for my oily forehead, I decided to go for Kryolan Anti-Shine. It has the best reviews for combination skin. For a short while (too short - not even a month I believe)...it really worked. It kept my forehead matte till the afternonn. Now, at about 12 o'clock and even earlier, all the oil comes through my skin and, as another girl said, I think it is even oilier than before. So, I think it's a matter of luck, and....matching your skin. All in all I am very disappointed, because I had such high expectations. In my country the amount of money I paid for it is quite big.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2011 10:49:00 PM More reviews by QWERTY2345

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This powder is a godsend. No, it doesn't keep me matte the whole day but what product does? It keeps me matte for a good 6 hours and even then, I never get as oily as when I don't use it. Apply a light dusting on your face and it leaves your face very smooth and velvety, not dry. (unless you apply WAY TOO MUCH) It comes with a HUGE amount of product (30 grams!!). The only downside is that it's a loose powder, meaning it won't be convenient to bring with you outside of home.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/24/2011 5:53:00 AM More reviews by f0sheezYgrL

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I wish I could like this as much as everyone else who rated this, but for some reason, this product is not working for me. I put this on before a long night out full of dancing and sweating. Kyrolan is a professional brand for TV and theatre, so this stuff should be hardcore. I think I was only about an hour or two into my night (not sweaty yet!) and I was already a grease factory. I don't know if it was just my imagination but I felt like I was even greasier than if I didn't apply the powder! I have used this a couple more times, thinking I might not have applied enough or correctly (I used the puff it came with the first time, and then with my powder brush the other times) but alas, still no great results as promised. It even washes me out (even after I contour and blush) so I don't know if this is for me. I will try it a few more times because I really want to believe these amazing reviews and hope I'm just trippin' or something. But if there's no edit after a while...know that my opinion is still the same!

NOTE: I've actually used this product as a dry shampoo. It works well absorbing oil and shine in my hair, but not on my face. So, at least I am getting some use from it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2011 8:41:00 AM More reviews by karamino

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

My staple podwer, I use it everyday to control the oilies on my t-zone it mattifies the skin inmediately with a soft glow. It does not control the oil the whole day though, I have to reaply at least twice but it is much better than other podwers to control shine and I apply far lest frequently. Very good quality-quantity-price. IŽll definetely repurchase and I can only recommend it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2011 5:50:00 PM More reviews by Beaumonde

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Let me say up front that I'm a Matte person. Not flat matte - luminous matte. Shine and luminosity I have plenty of, thank you very much! A Satin Matte or Soft Matte skin is what suits me best and what I aim for every time.

Kryolan Anti-Shine powder is something I'd use during the Summer
months or for a specific day or function. It seems to work best for me under those circumstances.

Applied with a deft and light hand, it does matt quite well. But you must pat it in well with a good puff and use a good quality brush to dust off the excess to avoid a ghostly, washed-out look. I have a combination skin and this powder spotlights every bit of flakiness around the drier skin of my nose and mouth. I used it at a summer wedding in Australia several years ago and it held up well for about 3 hours before needing to be re-powdered. In hot or humid weather, my skin resembles the Exxon Valdeez, it's that oily.
It also tends to settle in pores as the day goes on.

N.B. I've used the following brands of powder at one time or another in pursuit of the perfectly matte complexion: RCMA, Ben Nye, Mehron, William Tuttle, Joe Blasco, MUFE and of course, all the commercial brands from Lauder to Mercier to Maybelline.

I'm using the remarkable Kett and Temptu Pro powders at present and we'll see how they compare. Already they leave the much-vaunted MUFE HD powder in the dust. But for those unbearably humid days, I'll always have the Kryolan at hand until something comes along that's superior. If Kryolan made this in a PRESSED powder, that would be better still.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2011 3:20:00 PM More reviews by palmst

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My skin is normal tending to the dry side. After I apply sunscreen, it leaves a very glossy finish on my face. I am using this to tone the shine down. It does a great job and you only need the tiniest amount. You can control how matte you want to go. I use a brush to dab it very very lightly otherwise the finish is too matte for my liking. I keep it away from my drier spots as I can see that it would emphasise and probably dry out these areas. I paid 15.95 US + shipping for a huge 30gm of product which will take years to use up. The packaging is a large plain plastic jar with a screw top and puff (not flash but this is a theatrical makeup company after all).I find the jar too big to handle on a day to day basis, so I have decanted a little into a small sifter jar - I think this will actually last me at least a year, that is how little you need.

30/1/11- I have found if I apply close to my lower lash line, it helps absorb any excess oil from my sunscreen/or moisturiser, so that my eyeliner only smudges slightly now :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/1/2011 11:02:00 PM More reviews by jamie11210

OMG!!!! HG ITEM!!! I have true combo skin...oily in the T and dry patches in certain areas. Over the years, I have thrown away numerous foundations and powders that I have loved because by the end of the day, they made me look like an oil rig!!! I am so grateful I found this stuff. I got it for about $23 on Amazon and worth every last penny. You get a huge container!!! I just apply this over my made up face and I have no oiliness all day and into the night...will buy again and again as long as they make this stuff!!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2010 9:22:00 PM More reviews by marwaf

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really love kryolan, their products are always great & this is no exception. I've had this for so long that I forgot I even had it until I saw the reviews for it. It really is anti-shine, though I prefer to use silica powders because of the rice starch content of this one. It's relatively cheap & you get such a huge amount of product, it has lasted me sooo long! No need to repurchase cos I don't have to - there's so much of it in the jar!