MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural - Medium Dark

4.2

on 2/8/2013 6:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

I'm on the fence about this. I have this twisted relationship with it that causes me to love it, yet hate it at the same time. Before I start my review, I would just like to point out the fact that this is NOT a powder foundation. On MAC's website, they suggest using it to set liquid foundation or touch up during the day. If you're trying to use a powder as sheer as this as foundation, of course you're going to despise it.

Anyhow. I'm NC40/42 (depending on the time of year) and was matched to 'Medium Dark'. I don't like this shade at all. Most women with tanned skin are also warm complected. This powder is very cool with strong pink undertones, and appears a little ashy/gray when applied. It's not a huge issue since it's very sheer, but I still feel like they should have made this warmer.

As I said earlier, this provides VERY sheer, almost non-existent coverage. For this reason, it's nice to set liquid foundations when you want something light that won't look masky. Don't expect to get any additional coverage from this though. The SA mentioned that this can also be applied wet, but I have not tried this. I imagine that it would give better coverage that way. BTW- IF YOU ARE GOING TO EXPERIMENT WITH APPLYING THIS WET, REMEMBER THAT YOU CANNOT REVERT TO APPLYING IT DRY AGAIN AFTER. ONCE YOU WET IT, IT CHANGES THE TEXTURE.

The finish for this is matte, but not flat and powdery. That's what I really love about this powder. It doesn't give me a chalky, unnatural finish (*cough cough* Studio Fix Powder). It's actually virtually undetectable on the skin. It builds quite nicely as well.

As far as oil control goes? This is nothing special. If you have oily skin like me, this probably won't do much for you. But it will set foundation beautifully for combo/dry skinned girls who don't need much oil control.

I like the packaging, but I do wish that it had a mirror like Studio Fix Powder. Also, the clear plastic casing pops out a lot (no bother I guess, since it can easily be popped back in).

I recommend applying this with a dense kabuki (such as MAC's 182). This product works best when really buffed into the skin (like all mineral powders).

I do like this, but it's not my favorite. I like a setting powder with better oil control (isn't that the whole point of powder?), and that comes in a better color range than this. I can see why some women would love it though. If you have the right complexion and skin type for this, it could work quite beautifully.

on 2/4/2013 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I realllyyyyyy like this!! I find it makes my face look just flawless and amazing. The color matches me pretty well (NC30 ish). I have combo/oily skin. By itself, it doesn't control the oil at all. Over a foundation, it does control a bit for a couple of hours. My t-zone gets pretty shiny but it doesn't bother me. You don't feel it on your face at all! I defenitly recommend it.

on 1/3/2013 4:00:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This has to be my favorite setting powder I have ever gone through. Just a small sweep of this over the face with your 182 or any kabuki and your face is left with a perfect natural look. It can also be used on it's own if you want sheer to medium coverage, as well as used wet for medium to heavy coverage. MAC knew what they were doing with this. This product gets an A+++ from me. I absolutely LOVE IT!

on 11/8/2012 3:58:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Wanted to love this product - however, it broke me out (I use other Mac blushes/powders and they've been fine) and it doesn't have the coverage I would like. I was hoping this would replace my Benefit Hello Flawless Powder (great coverage and blends seamlessly) but it is more of a setting powder, has very light coverage, and seemed to spark a series of little bumps on my forehead/nose area. Will be returning.

on 10/18/2012 9:11:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I went to the MAC counter to ask the SA to recommend a matte bronzer for my pale skin (NC15-ish). I don't tan naturally and rely on fake tan usually to 'take the glare off'. I was expecting her to recommend one of their bronzers but instead she suggested Mineralize Skin Finish Natural in Medium Dark and showed me how to apply it with a brush around the edges of the forehead, into the hairline at the temples, on the cheekbones, nose, chin and along and just under the jaw. I was really impressed with the results and now this is a staple product for me. It looks natural and glowy and I have a much more healthy look to my skin compared to my natural 'undead vampire' colouring. Will definitely repurchase this!

on 10/17/2012 3:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Love this powder! would say I've been using it for more than a year now... Very matte and soft finish. got many compliments and works great with their blushes! maybe a little bit expensive but its worth it, if you have tried Mac before and know they work for you :)

I use this to contour my cheeks on my NW20 skin and it works brilliantly. Beautiful, definitely recommend.

on 9/30/2012 6:12:00 AM

I'm pale (MAC NC15 or Matchmaster 1) and love this product for contouring. Adds beautiful depth and dimension to my face without looking orange, ruddy, or dirty. Has a golden/yellow undertone that works and blends with the neutral to yellow undertone in my skin. The pigmentation is awesome and blends easily too.

on 9/23/2012 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I use the MAC Studio Fix Fluid and then I use this to set my foundation. It works amazingly I highly recommend it to everyone :) It's a must have in my makeup bag

on 9/23/2012 3:17:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I don't see what's so great about this powder at all! Firstly, in no way can it be used as a powder foundation alone - the coverage is so sheer, it's non existent. I put some on my cheeks, both wet and dry (using ELF Mineral Powder Brush and a sponge) and didn't notice the difference at all. If anything, it made me quite pink, which is really weird because I'm NC43-ish with yellow/brown undertones! The same thing happened when I tried it as a setting powder over my liquid foundation. When I spoke to a MAC MUA about it, she said something about the way it's pressed makes it turn pink on application - apparently!

I won't be buying this again, and I'm currently using Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation, which is much better than this!

Recommended for Normal Skin