Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

3.9

on 3/13/2015 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have been dying my hair dark red for years except for about 3 months when I bleach my hair blonde and hated it. I remember how hard it was to get the color out from that one time so when I decided that I wanted to do a crazy color I knew I would have to do this again... I did research and found positive reviews for this product. When I used it I was scared that it wouldn't take enough color out but it did. It went from dark red to strawberry blonde! Since I am doing the most of my hair black that is great and the part I will be doing a bright fire red I will bleach to get more color out. My hair did seem a little dry but I just followed it up with a healthy soaking of coconut oil. Great product much better than bleaching 2 or more times... compared to my last experience with changing my hair this is a dream and really easy on my hair over solid bleach. It does stink but it goes away once you put the coconut oil in. If you have gotten a perm or been in a salon while they did one it smells a lot like that. Hope this helped.

on 2/16/2015 8:36:00 PM

I'll begin by giving a brief history on my hair before reviewing this product so that you can get somewhat of an idea of how this product worked on my hair. I'm 20 years old and I've been dying my hair since I was 14 I've had different hair colors ranging from blonde, red, auburn, dark brown, light brown, and really everything in between. Through the beginning of those years my hair would actually grab these colors really fast and I didn't have a problem with dying my hair only until I redyed my hair (permanent color) back to my original color which is black. After going back to black hair I've noticed that it has gotten difficult for my hair to really change into any color when applying hair dye so I went through those times where only my roots would change color and the rest of my hair would stay black so therefore I dyed my roots back to black to match the rest of my head and when my hair would lighten up on its own to a dark brown I would just dye it back to black because my hair is shoulder length and I was wearing extensions at the time and I just didn't want to go waste my money to change my hair color and buy a new pack of hair extensions so I kept it as is and I've been redying my hair back to black for the past 5 years. I can honestly say I think I look better with black hair but I've been getting so bored of it that I wanted something new for a change. I wanted light brown hair. This is when I asked my younger sister that is going to school for cosmetology to try dying my hair to a light brown again but I insisted that I did not want her using bleach on my hair whatsoever to lighten it because of some previous problems I had with using bleach on my hair, so I went to her beauty school the next day and she dyed my hair and the result was my roots were lighter while the rest of my hair was a darkish brown still black. I kind of figured it was going to turn out like this so I went online I researched other alternatives to bleaching and I found out about color removers (color strippers). Only if I knew about this sooner it would've made a huge difference when dying my hair.

Thank you for being patient and reading my brief hair history. Now I'll begin to explain this product. So I did a lot of research on different types of hair color removers and I finally settled with color oops because of the better reviews I was seeing from this product compared to the others I've read about. I was lucky enough to have it at my local target for only $10 I've read some reviews where it ranges for a couple dollars more but I know it all depends on where you live and where you buy it. So I was a bit skeptical when I first bought this product because I saw on the box that the starting out color of the "before coloring" was blonde hair and I'm thinking to myself no way in hell will it work for my hair since it's naturally black but I took the risk and tried it out and I'm glad I did despite it working more on hair colors that are naturally lighter. I bought two boxes and after having my younger sister apply the first box all over my head the smell lingered and it was horrendous I kid you not it smelled like someone set a bag of poop on fire and mixed it with eggs. Some might say that's over the top but having all three of my sisters saying the exact same thing I don't think I'm crazy. I recommend having someone apply it on for you because you don't want to miss any spots and you want it to lift evenly . I waited an hour even though it says to wash it out after 20 min and my hair lightened up to a reddish orange nothing over the top it looked a bit like an auburn color as well so I was actually pleased with the color it turned out and it actually even out with my light roots that my younger sister had previously dyed at her beauty school. The product did not burn at all it actually felt like shampoo that was being applied on my head but instead of a creamy like texture it was more of watery consistency. My hair surprisingly felt fine it wasn't breaking and it didn't have a rubbery consistency after the first process like it would if I had bleached my hair and I deeped conditioned it with Wen because with my hair was very thin and straight so I wanted to make sure I still took care of it plus the smell of my Wen conditioner helped with the egg smell the remover had. I waited until the next day to apply on the second application and after doing the same thing I did with the first which was rinsing it out after an hour and applying Wen my hair turned into a lighter orange and reddish tone, yes it was brassy as hell but I could rock with it and I was just more happy that the previous colors were lifting from my hair so I was not complaining. The second application did not do any damage to my hair only left it feeling a little dry but nothing crazy so I just made sure to apply a leave in conditioner on my ends so that I can bring back in the moisture. I actually got compliments on my hair which was surprising because I have not yet toned it out but I was wearing my naturally short hair that was orange with reddish undertones and I am glad to say that color oops works and it works on naturally dark hair that is previously colored. So whoever has dark hair like myself and is afraid to bleach their hair to go lighter this is the step I recommend to take which is using color oops. It really is a good product. I will be purchasing this product again when I want to go a bit lighter but for now I'll just tone it out and hopefully getting something in the browner shade.

on 2/9/2015 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have read a lot of reviews saying Color Oops was very effective. I bought this product rather than a traditional color remover/lifter because users rated this one as less damaging. My hair is naturally light brown and I have been coloring it dark brown with a semi permanent color for the past couple of years. I followed the instructions EXACTLY to ensure the best possible results. I soaked/rinsed my hair for 20 min, everything the directions said to do. The product smells HORRIBLE but that's not a big deal if it works. It gave me a headache breathing in the fumes so definitely keep a window open.

After processing my hair, it felt somewhat damaged, not nearly as bad as using bleach or color stripper but it definitely felt different. My hair was extremely dry and knotted and difficult to comb through. My color had minimally lifted; it went from dark brown to a slightly lighter dark brownish-orange. The product obviously does work to lift color, but I guess not for everyone. Maybe it depends on the type/color of the dye, some might be a lot harder to remove. The packaging says the process can be repeated one or more times, but I would be afraid to try it again after it made my hair feel so straw-like. I might try it again someday, but not anytime soon.

MY OVERALL REVIEW: This product MIGHT work for you. It seems like a 50/50 shot it will lift dye from your hair, if your hair is not damaged, try it out.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

This stuff got rid of all of the dark red dye in my natural red hair, so awesome for when I was tired of constantly dying my roots and wanted to switch to semi-permanent dye. I followed the directions exactly (saturate the hair during application, leave on for 20 minutes, rinse for 20 minutes, condition) and my hair appears dye-free. It does have a stink, it wasn't as noticeable when I was applying it, but it's very noticeable in my hair after the rinse and blow drying, so that's my only problem with the product. I'm sure it'll go away with a few shampoos, and it's worth it for the magic this product works.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Love this. I followed the directions EXACTLY and it took my dyed black hair back to its natural medium/dark brown color.

Back story- In August I went to a salon and had a balyage done on my hair. I hated it. It basically looked like blonde highlights on my dark brown hair. I used Redken shades to dye my whole head a dark brown color. For whatever reason, the color grabbed and my hair was black. I wasn't too worried since the color was a semi, but eventually I noticed the color was not fading and I was getting roots. I was not wanting to bleach my hair but desperately wanted rid of roots. After much googling and YouTube reviews, I decided to give Color Oops a try and I am so glad I did!

on 12/23/2014 6:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

So alittle history about my hair before I review the product. I had bleach blonde hair then dyed it dark brown with permanent box dye, then went to the salon and got a light brown hair color. The light brown started turning lighter and brassy and became a light brassy brownish yellow. So I dyed it with darkest brown permanent hair dye (bad idea) again. My hair was pretty dark so I used vitamin c and shampoo to remove it and about 10% was only removed and my hair became a dark reddish brown. So I bought color oops; it is about $17 in Canada (pretty pricey). It smells really bad but I have a high tolerance to smell so it didn't bother me that much while I was applying it. After 25 minutes I washed it out for 15-30 minutes and since I have short fine hair I was sure all the product was out. When I got out the shower my hair was a light chocolate brown color which I was excepting way lighter results. But the color it gave me was a really nice chocolate brown that I liked it. However, I waited 2 days before washing my hair again and the smell became soo much stronger. Also the color got darker, it's closer to the dark color than the light brown I was hoping for. I'm pretty sure I washed my hair very well but I guess not since the color came back dark. The smell just got so much stronger after washing it and it doesn't seem to go away. Since the results didn't work that well and the smell is so bad I don't think it's really worth use it. I personally wouldn't use this product again because it's just so much work getting it out your hair, however it is much safer than bleach and didn't cause any damage to my hair.

on 12/1/2014 1:50:00 PM

I was a little hesitant to try it because I have bleached and dyed my hair so many times. But it turned out pretty good, without having to do it another time. While I do not mind the colour now, once it starts changing I will give it another go. Colour oops only removes hair dye, it will not take colour off of virgin hair. If you had naturally blond hair you probably will get a tint to it. More layers of hair dye more times you may have to use this product. My hair still feels in pretty good shape, my ends could use a trim but they could have used it before I used this product. If you have ever bleached your hair your base colour after using this will be either really copper yellow or bright yellow. If you have dyed your hair a lot, even not bleaching you may still gets spots from excess damage from dying. The red I had on my hair lifted some colour from my natural colour so it's still a little red, but I don't mind it.
read other reviews if you must, I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely better than stripping or bleaching right away.
Yes the smell is not the greatest, but it does not smell as bad as what I was expecting based on other reviews. If you have ever permed your hair, which I have, it's a similar smell to that.
You may also have to cut the tip off the applicator bottle, but other than that no issues, very runny product but it made it for easer application I feel like. It was $17.99 where I'm from, so be prepared for different price ranges.
1 box worked for my entire head, I have thin straight hair, passed my chest.
Hope it works for you! I definitely will keep this product in mind

on 11/27/2014 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I hated this stuff. I purchased it to remove a temporary dye from my highlighted hair. First of all, yes it does reek, and the stench lingers in your hair for days, even after washing.
I had issues with the cap as well. Most hair application caps snap off the top of the nozzle and for the life of me, this one would not twist off, pull of, snap off, nothing. I had to apply it through a leak in the screw on cap.
The results were a brassy, horrible colour. I realize that most people have the intention to recolor after using this but upon doing so by my colorist, she informed me that the product had been really hard on my hair. My once healthy looking hair now looks frazzled with busted ends. Never ever again would I use this and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

on 10/25/2014 10:44:00 AM

This stuff worked amazing for me! I am extremely happy with the results. I had very light bleached blonde hair and got new extensions. The extensions were a warmer blonde so I went to the salon to have my natural hair died. When all was said and done my hair turned out basically an ugly dark shade of grey! Bought color oops two days later and did as instructed. After all was said and done it lightened my hair up and brought it to the perfect golden blonde! It does turn your hair slightly orange- or at least it looked that way while it was processing- but after I blew dry it looked amazing! No grey! I would most definitely recommend this product- oh and on the plus side it actually made my already very damaged hair softer... Is that weird? It's a 5 star for me.

on 10/22/2014 4:49:00 PM

My hair is naturally a light brown or dark dirty blonde. I decided to dye my virgin hair a deep, dark chocolate brown. After less than a month I regretted my decision and decided to try Colour Oops to get it back to my natural colour. I had read plenty of reviews on the product and it seemed promising, but I was very disappointed. It definitely did lighten my hair, but only by a few shades. I was left with very orange, copper brown hair... It looked like a dirty penny! I ended up going to a salon to have a professional fix this mess. I know that bleach can lead to orange/brassy colour, which is why I avoided it. Colour Oops basically did the same thing, without lightening it enough. I'm sure this product can help some people lighten their hair without the damaging effects of bleach, but it definitely does not "rinse away colour" as advertised.