August 20, 2014 | 1338 users online

Hair Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2014 2:35:00 AM More reviews by Vickivee222

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

AMAZING.
I was completely terrified to try this product. If I bleach my hair one more time, it would probably fall out.
My hair is very dry, I've been bleaching it for over 4 years, constantly dying it neon colours and bleaching it out monthly. My hair was almost fried.
This product didn't take my hair back to the white colour is used to be but it pulled 98% of the purple I had out. It didn't damage my hair further at all. It's still the same texture. Only down fall is the smell, but between losing my hair, or a terrible smell, I'd pick a terrible smell any day.
100% would recommend.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/6/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by JustCakey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

If you are reading these reviews trying to figure out whether or not to use this I feel for you. I made the mistake of dying my hair black, and I had about 3 coats of dark brown (permanent) hair dye underneath it from a year of dying my hair all these fun dark shades. I just keep going darker and darker, till before I knew it, I was WAY too dark.
Color oops was not a miracle worker for me, but it kind of worked and I was desperate. Using it my black hair turned to a dark sort of medium brown, so I want to say it lifted about 3 shades. I had to dye my ronald mcdonald roots a semi-permanent light brown to match the rest of my hair afterwards. Your hair is super porous after using this so you should dye your roots lighter than what you think it should be to match your hair. It matched pretty well, you really had to look to see a difference. 4 weeks later I dyed my hair all over in a semi-permanent color close to my roots and hair, and everything evened out and looked good as new.
After that I was able to relax, and let my hair grow, fade, and just colored it gradually lighter brown semi-permanent shades until I got my old dark blonde natural hair back.
This stuff works, but it's not a miracle worker. It didn't get all the dye out, it only got a few shades lighter for me. My chocolate brown hair was still a far cry from blonde. My hair looked streaky, my roots were golden red, and my hair was super dry. So use if you must, but know that it's a mess to clean up afterwards. Expect the work to come with it, and you shouldn't be disappointed. Much cheaper and less damaging than bleaching your hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 5:20:00 PM More reviews by Cupcakegurl95

I went to the salon and had my hair bleached platinum blonde and it was severely damaged. After my roots started to grow out I decided that instead of getting the roots bleached and damaging my new growth I would colour over it with a boxed demi red. When the colour started to fade I then used henna over top for a few months, but once the spring came around my hair was back to being soft and healthy. I decided that I wanted to go back to my normal blonde hair which is a darker blonde colour then the platinum. I tried everything to get the henna out of my hair. I tried vitamin c and dish soap. I tried baking soda, honey and olive oil. Nothing seemed to be working to fade the henna out of my hair. A friend recommended I try colour oops and I'm so glad I did, After one use almost all of the henna washed out. Only a little bit of orange is left on my roots. So glad that I tried this product. I have fairly long hair and I only used one box and that seemed to be enough. This product didn't seem to damage my hair at all. In fact I think that the baking soda and dish soap was much more damaging. It won't do anything about the bleach, but now I can colour over with the shade of blonde I want so happy :D

rated 4 of 5 on 3/31/2014 11:44:00 AM More reviews by Rebecca753

I used this to remove the very dark brown hair dye I've been using for some time. It had concentrated on the ends in particular, and now that I am growing my hair out it's starting to look a little too "Morticia Addams". At first I was surprised that it didn't smell that bad, because so many reviewers complained about the smell. I put some peppermint and bergamot essential oils in the sink, turned on the fan in my bathroom and it didn't really bother me. The problem came later. It's now the next day and my bathroom smells like rotten egg salad, especially when I run water in the sink. It seems to reactivate the smell. The formula is very runny and clear so I just cleaned the counter in my bathroom very well and I hope that will help. Maybe I just missed some that I spilled because it is so hard to see. That said, the product works great, and I think it is totally worth the work, and the smell. You really do have to rinse forever. I suggest using a timer because it takes way longer than you might think. I shampooed first with Suave Daily Clarifying, then twice with Evercreme. I kept getting out of the shower to check the clock and five minutes felt like 20, especially after the hot water ran out, but I rinsed for the full 20 minutes and I made sure to rinse from all directions.My hair is still in relatively great condition, much better than after a salon stripping. I followed with Shea Moisture Masque, and I'm going to give my hair a few days before I recolor, and I'll use a protein filler. I would use this again, but not for a while because the smell literally makes me gag now.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2014 11:36:00 PM More reviews by ScarletteLawson

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

YAYYY ColorOops!!! I made a big mistake and dyed my hair dark purple...my hair is naturally medium brown, but for a few years I have dyed it different shades of dark brown (it's not damaged though). I was not happy at all with the dark purple hair, and was keen to get back to more of my natural color, and so I bought color oops. I used it a day after dying purple, and first let me say it doesn't smell nearly as bad as people say! It is runny, but one bottle was enough to saturate my thick shoulder length hair. I left it in for about 25 mins, and saw immediate results. Follow the instructions when rinsing !! I rinsed, shampooed, and then rinsed for 20 minutes. Then I shampooed and rinsed for another 5, ad then again.also, this doesn't return you back to your virgin color if you have dyed it alot. My roots were light strawberry blonde and the rest was actually a nice copper color. The next day I used a dark brown dye but only left it in for a few minutes. Now I have a very nice natural dark brown color with a lot of dimension and it shimmers and ya I'm just really happy and recommend It if you follow the instructions :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 1:11:00 AM More reviews by jessicaalynnexo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Color Oops has exceeded my expectations. I only paid about $10 for it at Rexall, and didn't think it would work well for me. I had bleach blonde hair that had been dyed with red dye, purple manic panic followed by more red dye (to hold the color). Then, I got sick of the red, attempted to get it out with hair color remover (fail), followed by bleach (only made the red brighter). So I gave up, and dyed it red again, followed by red henna over top. Basically, my hair was SUPER RED. It says not to use it with Henna, but the red henna I bought from Lush contains no metallic salts and therefore did not react with the Color Oops. My hair is now a brassy blonde color after only one 20 minute application, and is in fantastic condition. I would buy this again, and would definitely recommend to friends. Better results than paying $200 to get your hair stripped at a salon :)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 More reviews by petiterugger

I have been dyeing my hair ever since the age of twelve. Now, I'm in my twenties. After years of experimentation (from unnatural colors to natural colors), I can not rave about this product enough. Color Oops is quite honestly one of the best hair color removers on the market. A lot of people complain that it smells horrible. The reason for this awful smell is because Color Oops has a sulfuric base that oxidizes and shrinks dye molecules (thus allowing you to rinse away the unwanted dye). Typically, your hair will return to it's natural shade (or a shade close to it) after rinsing. It's important that you RINSE WITH SHAMPOO. The longer you rinse, the better your results will be (it even says this on the box)! Usually, after I have dyed my hair a few shades redder than my natural shade, I pick up a box of this. My hair naturally has red tones to it and any bleaching (unless it is done with an Absolute Platinum bleach), my hair will pull red/orange tones. That's my usual result after I use Color Oops. I don't mind it because I can correct this. THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS PRODUCT ARE AS FOLLOWS:
1. This is NOT ideal to remove unnatural colors (made by brands such as Manic Panic and Special Effects). It states this on it's website and box! You are better off fading those colors with a clarifying shampoo.
2. It is BEST ADVISED to use a PROTEIN FILLER after application of Color Oops! Your hair will be extremely porous after to use and will GRAB your new color and alter your desired results. Buy a few shades lighter than what you actually want to go so after processing, you end up with a desired shade.

I would recommend this product again and again to people. It's definitely one of my HG products. It's cheap and gets the job done!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/25/2014 11:17:00 PM More reviews by serenitysclarity

Worked. Smells like rotten eggs but not near as bad as I expected from the complaints. I have natural dark ash blonde hair that I used to lighten. Then dyed red. Then covered in brown. Eventually I had 2 inches of dark ash blonde roots then dark red brown along shaft and natural Med to light brown on the ends. After researching diff things to try, I chose color oops because I'd never used it before and was curious. My original idea was to avoid my roots and hope the oops took off enough color to blend with them. I ended up getting drunk and forgot to avoid 'em. Any who.. I mixed, slathered runny mess all over, covered in aluminum foil (thinking better heat/more active?), covered in the plastic cap, and started blow drying, all super quick because I've read the mixture can become inactive. Blew dry for 20 minutes (now wish I left it on longer for slightly higher results), then QUICKLY hopped under hot water rinse. If it cools before rinsing, the cuticles could close and trap the dye in. Luckily my hot water lasts ages in the shower (I crank the water heater as high as it'll go any new place I move to). I rinsed, gentle scrubbed, shampooed, repeated for 20 minutes and followed with my new love: One n only argan oil restorative mask for ANOTHER 20 minutes in a hot towel. The condition of my hair is great, but my scalp tingles a little. It lightened my roots, so there is some type of lightner in it (I wasn't sure prior). The rest is all an even very warm mild orangy light brown. ... debating on toning or dying with an ash blond. We'll see and I'll try to update. The red was a permanent and brown a semi.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/21/2014 12:08:00 AM More reviews by captainkelly

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I bought it because I had to get dye out of my hair and Sally's was closed, so I found this at walgreens hoping it would work the same as Color Fix. My hair was dyed a permanent black and semi-permanent purple, pink, and blue. First off, the smell is absolutely disgusting. It smells like rotten eggs. Its also really messy and runny but it coated my hair pretty nicely. It took off SOME of the hair dye, and also turned the rest green. It barely even took off any of the semi-permanents. I'm glad it didn't damage my hair like bleach, which was a plus. However, it barely did its job and the smell is still lingering in my hair and my neck and its so awful. If you need to get a dye out, use a home remedy or get something like Color Fix or Color Zap, don't waste your money.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2014 4:14:00 PM More reviews by Ksealssss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I recently dyed my hair a dark red color. It was too bright and looked horrible with my skin. I am a natural redhead but just wanted to amp up my color. I've done it before with semi permanent dyes but decide to go permanent this time for some reason which I totally regret. I had quite a few blonde highlights and then applied the dark red dye. It was much too dark and some blonde highlights were showing through. I hated it but dealt with it for like a month and decided i needed it gone. So I read hundreds of reviews on this product and couldn't find any dealing with natural redheads going a darker red. So I decided to give it a try and the results were incredible. Yes the smell is horrible and will linger in your hair but you won't care because of the amazing results. I rinsed for about 30 minutes total. You have to rinse a lot a lot a lot or you won't get the results you want. I deep conditioned my hair will some Wen and it worked great. My hair is now almost exactly back to my original color, my highlights are even showing. There's the slightest hint of the fake red but it makes my hair look pretty nice actually. So if you're a redhead and you wanna know if this works it does. And I'm sure it will vary for other hair colors but for the most part I've read good things. This is a great product and can really save you. Thanks Color Oops!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No