October 2, 2014 | 1714 users online

Hair Treatments - Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

rated 1 of 5 on 7/30/2014 3:34:00 PM More reviews by Bylaw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I honestly don't know if I should review this or not considering that I couldn't bring myself to put it on my head. I mixed the two containers and got it ready for use, and put a dot on my skin and some on some hair as a strand test.

The smell was so incredibly awful that I chucked it in the dumpster in the alley rather than have the container in my house. I scrubbed it off of my skin and out of the sink where the strand was being tested. It honestly smelled like someone set a skunk on fire.

What ungodly chemicals are in THIS toxic waste concoction? It doesn't even smell like perm solution, which is almost tolerable. This stuff is so gag inducing that there was no way I was putting it in any amount on my actual body or hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2014 9:59:00 PM More reviews by Megan0327

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been dying my hair since I was 11 & now I'm 17. I've been from highlights to dark brown to black to highlights again to red to black again. I bought this product because of all the good reviews on it & turns out it actually works really well ! I'm back to basically my natural color. It does smell pretty bad but it's bare able. It didn't burn my scalp or anything. The worst part is washing your hair 5 times. But it's worth it !

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2014 1:13:00 PM More reviews by chickennugget

So i had been dying my naturally dirty blonde hair darker (black, brown, pink at one point) for almost a year now and i want to do a bright unnatural colour soon. Before using this product my hair was a very dark brown, almost black. So a lady working at shoppers recommended it so we gave it a try. It stinks pretty bad but it's not bad enough that i couldn't handle it and it took me a while to rinse it all out properly because i have long thick hair but it definitely made my hair lighter and pretty orangey but much easier to do something with. It really dries out your hair so condition it a lot afterwards. It's much better for ur hair than bleach and i would use it again. And don't colour your hair the same day u use it cause it might turn out darker than you want, I'm going to wait a few days

rated 2 of 5 on 7/18/2014 5:25:00 PM More reviews by AMakeupAddict

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Today, I found out that I should have never used Color Oops and here's why. A month ago, my hair was bleached platinum blonde. I recently decided to go chocolate brown. Today, I decided to use Color Oops to get rid of the dyes in my hair to bring me back to my bleached hair. I knew I would end up with weird looking, untoned bleached hair, but I had no idea that I should have expected bright orange hair!

I used Color Oops twice and all I got was bright orange hair. At this stage, I could have bleached my hair to blonde, but the only reason I used Color Oops in the first place was to avoid any kind of bleaching. I was expecting to end up with at the very least a bright, canary blonde that could easily be toned down, but that didn't happen. After toning down the orange, it turned into a light brown/faded orange and a hideous one at that. Fed up with trying to achieve blonde, I dyed my hair a dark brown (my natural color) and it looks lovely. Why did I ever dislike my healthy, beautiful dark hair?

So, if you're like me and have brown (or black) dyed hair with bleached blonde hair underneath, prepare to have bright orange hair. You're going to have to bleach it to get it lighter and if you're like me, you're not gonna wanna damage your hair any further with bleach.

IF THIS DESCRIPTION FITS YOU, PLEASE DO NOT USE COLOR OOPS AS IT IS STILL VERY DAMAGING EVEN WITHOUT BLEACH AND WILL TURN YOUR HAIR ORANGE.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2014 2:37:00 PM More reviews by kaitlyn1991

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Back story: current hair went from brown with highlights to red to bright ass red, and finally at a dark brown. Since I had highlighted my hair, it was too damaged to use regular dye (I.e. 20vol developer) so I went with Demi colors. The Demi was very very rich in color but red became a hassle and very unnatural/unflattering. So I let it fade and put a medium ash brown which was too dark for me.

anyways, I have decided after nearly a decade of dying my hair, I wanted a break and to grow my hair out (ha, we shall see). I decided to remove all the color via color oops.

these are the things I've learned:

it DOES work with Demi dyes
you HAVE TO rinse, rinse, rinse and shampoo or, and this esp applies to dark dye being removed, your hair will revert back to dark. I learned this the hard way. It is NOT the product, it is the left over dye reoxidizing. (one time it was two full days before my hair darkened 3 shades from a light orange shade)

also, it is drying. Invest in deep conditioners and protein treatment (my HG is to apply Aphogee 2 step reconstruct, then use Ion/whatever brand deep conditioner (quality kind) + one n only argan oil oil treatment and let sit under cap on head for 30 mins, your hair will be phenom) u can find those products at sallys for pretty cheap.

also, when dying AFTER, do test strand. IMPERATIVE because the lightest blonde could become black/the reddest red turn brown. Hair does funky things after stripping.

make sure to follow directions EXPLICITLY

and if you're like me and desperate for change without bleaching but worried about the dye reoxidizing, buy two boxes of color oops. My hair was deathly but I used my conditioning treatment and applied the stripper one after the other (within 3 hour period), hair is now in beautiful state.

I ended up with a light brown/copper color which I adore because its near my natural shade. I did not, repeat DID NOT redye. I tested some hair with lightest golden blonde and it turned dark brown after 7 mins. So I'm leaving it as is.

always remember to use best judgment when doing ANYTHING chemically to hair. If your hair is not up to the challenge don't risk it. Its better to have a color you're unhappy with, than no hair at all!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/23/2014 1:18:00 PM More reviews by RoxyRueRue

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been playing around with hair chalk to change it up with my gray/white hair. Oh, such fun! But I was having to do it ever day and it was dull and dry, so I though i'd add some soft black lo-lights to my virgin grey hair. I loved it..... for a week or so.

I missed my "canvas" and the thought of regrowth sent me on a search to remove the unwanted colour. I tried a cocktail of: baking soda, dawn, head and shoulders, and vitamin c but to no avail. The colour didn't change at all.

I chose "color Oops" after reading reviews and noting in their "questions and answers" that it would not change grey hair. I also noted that it may not get all the black out of grey hair and leave it a light blonde. At this point it wasn't a deal breaker.

I bought a box at London Drugs for $17.88 and after opening the bathroom window and turning on the fan, proceed to follow the instructions TO THE LETTER (well, I did use a plastic mixing bowl and colour brush for better control of the watery mixture). Yes it smelt, yes I was bored through the long rinsing process and yes I was thrilled that all my black lo-lights where gone!

Hair felt healthy
Soft blonde instead of black
No skin irritation
But I was super smelly at my hot yoga class, oops!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 1:11:00 PM More reviews by mollygrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have heard of this for years, but always scared but finally I had pink roots some red and black ends. I am letting my hair grow and was like..I cant anymore, well I decided. I went and bought the color oops remover and LOVED it. yes it stinks but it WORKS..so I say go buy it go use it...Thanks again. I would not hesitate. now I have to color over a little nervous but I think I will be ok. Thanks for such a great product.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2014 2:35:00 AM More reviews by Vickivee222

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

AMAZING.
I was completely terrified to try this product. If I bleach my hair one more time, it would probably fall out.
My hair is very dry, I've been bleaching it for over 4 years, constantly dying it neon colours and bleaching it out monthly. My hair was almost fried.
This product didn't take my hair back to the white colour is used to be but it pulled 98% of the purple I had out. It didn't damage my hair further at all. It's still the same texture. Only down fall is the smell, but between losing my hair, or a terrible smell, I'd pick a terrible smell any day.
100% would recommend.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/6/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by JustCakey

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

If you are reading these reviews trying to figure out whether or not to use this I feel for you. I made the mistake of dying my hair black, and I had about 3 coats of dark brown (permanent) hair dye underneath it from a year of dying my hair all these fun dark shades. I just keep going darker and darker, till before I knew it, I was WAY too dark.
Color oops was not a miracle worker for me, but it kind of worked and I was desperate. Using it my black hair turned to a dark sort of medium brown, so I want to say it lifted about 3 shades. I had to dye my ronald mcdonald roots a semi-permanent light brown to match the rest of my hair afterwards. Your hair is super porous after using this so you should dye your roots lighter than what you think it should be to match your hair. It matched pretty well, you really had to look to see a difference. 4 weeks later I dyed my hair all over in a semi-permanent color close to my roots and hair, and everything evened out and looked good as new.
After that I was able to relax, and let my hair grow, fade, and just colored it gradually lighter brown semi-permanent shades until I got my old dark blonde natural hair back.
This stuff works, but it's not a miracle worker. It didn't get all the dye out, it only got a few shades lighter for me. My chocolate brown hair was still a far cry from blonde. My hair looked streaky, my roots were golden red, and my hair was super dry. So use if you must, but know that it's a mess to clean up afterwards. Expect the work to come with it, and you shouldn't be disappointed. Much cheaper and less damaging than bleaching your hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2014 5:20:00 PM More reviews by Cupcakegurl95

I went to the salon and had my hair bleached platinum blonde and it was severely damaged. After my roots started to grow out I decided that instead of getting the roots bleached and damaging my new growth I would colour over it with a boxed demi red. When the colour started to fade I then used henna over top for a few months, but once the spring came around my hair was back to being soft and healthy. I decided that I wanted to go back to my normal blonde hair which is a darker blonde colour then the platinum. I tried everything to get the henna out of my hair. I tried vitamin c and dish soap. I tried baking soda, honey and olive oil. Nothing seemed to be working to fade the henna out of my hair. A friend recommended I try colour oops and I'm so glad I did, After one use almost all of the henna washed out. Only a little bit of orange is left on my roots. So glad that I tried this product. I have fairly long hair and I only used one box and that seemed to be enough. This product didn't seem to damage my hair at all. In fact I think that the baking soda and dish soap was much more damaging. It won't do anything about the bleach, but now I can colour over with the shade of blonde I want so happy :D