Extra Strength Hair Color Remover - Color Oops

3.9

on 4/10/2015 9:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Wow, I was shocked that Color Oops actually works on hair that is dyed too dark. I am naturally a dark brunette with red highlights and some gray hair around my hairline. I have been coloring my hair for many, many years. I usually use Garnier Nutrisse Medium Golden Mahogany Brown or Revlon Colorsilk Medium Golden Chestnut Brown and I am happy with the color results of both. But this time around I wanted to try a new shade and bought Revlon Colorsilk Medium Rich Brown. Well ,after applying it I ended up with almost black hair. Big mistake. I wanted to get my hair back to a lighter warm chocolate brown shade and decided to try Color Oops based on the good reviews I read here. So off to CVS I went to see if I could find it. Sure enough CVS had it . It cost about $13.99 but I had a 30% off coupon so I got a good buy on the product.

I came home, went into the bathroom and mixed the two bottles it came with and applied it to my hair. It was a little thin and runny so I wrapped a towel around my shoulders to protect my clothes from getting all wet. Next I applied the plastic cap it came with and let the product sit on my hair for 20 minutes. Then I took off the cap and rinsed with warm water for a full 20 minutes (as per the instructions in the box.). Low and behold, after rinsing and drying, my black hair turned into a very light golden brown shade, not red or orange as I was expecting. It was perfect for recoloring to a slightly darker color..

This product smelled like rotten eggs but it wasn't nearly as bad as some people here claimed. Perm solution smells much stronger to me. The thing that concerned me most was how the condition of my hair would be after using this color stripper. To my surprise, there was no damage to my hair at all. It didn't feel course or dry but in the same good condition it was before I started (after using my normal shampoo and conditioner)
This is what I learned from reading reviews and my own experience with Color Oops. First of all, be sure to rinse your hair for a minimum of 20 minutes after using this product. This is very, very important because you want all the dye molecules out of your hair. Second, when choosing a new color to apply, pick a hair color a couple of shades lighter than you want to achieve because Color Oops leaves your hair more porous and it grabs color fast(especially on the ends) A protein filler before recoloring is also suggested and I highly recommend it for optimum results. Also, only leave the new hair color on your hair for 5 minutes or it will come out too dark. Follow these tips and you can get your hair color back to the way you want it.

on 3/30/2015 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I have naturally dark brown almost black hair with quite a few grays. I usually dye my hair browns or burgundy shades to cover everything. I've been really sick lately and the upkeep of roots growing in came to be too much. I convinced myself that black was a good option that even with gray regrowth at least I wouldn't have the dreaded line. Well spring is here and I wanted to lighten my hair color without bleach. In order for any other color to take, I needed to remove or lighten the black. A lot of reviews I read for people with naturally dark hair bleached their hair before, I haven't done that in YEARS so I was a little unsure as to whether or not Color Oops would do anything. Well, it did. It did just enough that I needed! No orange or brassiness but I do have a nice reddish brown color to my hair that I would keep if I didn't have grays in between. It even lightened my virgin hair. I put it on the ends first then went back and saturated my whole head. I put the cap on and sat under the dryer for about 15 minutes and then sat in room temperature for another 10 (a total of 25 min). I was disappointed by this time because I couldn't see a visible change. I read about people having their hair go back dark due to not rinsing their hair enough after so I read the directions and rinsed my hair for 20 minutes just like they said. I put a 20min play list on in the shower so I wouldn't be bored. As a shampooed, I paid special attention to the ends where the most dye was. When I came out of the shower and saw my hair, I was ecstatic! Just light enough to take any brown or red that I want. I put a Wen hair mask after even though I don't really feel any damage, partially to cover my bases and partially because of the smell. The smell is why I gave it 4 lipsticks instead of 5. Keep in mind that box colors already show up darker as is but Color Oops warns that it will come out darker than usual due to your hair being more porous after the process. Do a strand or patch test after, even if it's a color that you normally use (just use the hair from your brush after you've used Color Oops and if there isn't any on your brush then take a little bit from an inconspicuous spot on your head). Overall a great but smelly product. I would use it again.

I used a loreal preference colour on my auburn hair that had a little bit more red pigment then I was used to and it dyed my hair purple. After freaking out my lovely boyfriend and I decided we would try this product. I have dyed my hair many times and it took all the colour out of my hair and we left it on for only ten minutes from start to finish. My hair is back to it's NATURAL colour in the summer and I couldn't be happier. My only recommendation is to use a hair mask after shampooing the color oops out or else you hair might feel a bit dry.

on 3/13/2015 10:41:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I have been dying my hair dark red for years except for about 3 months when I bleach my hair blonde and hated it. I remember how hard it was to get the color out from that one time so when I decided that I wanted to do a crazy color I knew I would have to do this again... I did research and found positive reviews for this product. When I used it I was scared that it wouldn't take enough color out but it did. It went from dark red to strawberry blonde! Since I am doing the most of my hair black that is great and the part I will be doing a bright fire red I will bleach to get more color out. My hair did seem a little dry but I just followed it up with a healthy soaking of coconut oil. Great product much better than bleaching 2 or more times... compared to my last experience with changing my hair this is a dream and really easy on my hair over solid bleach. It does stink but it goes away once you put the coconut oil in. If you have gotten a perm or been in a salon while they did one it smells a lot like that. Hope this helped.

on 2/16/2015 8:36:00 PM

I'll begin by giving a brief history on my hair before reviewing this product so that you can get somewhat of an idea of how this product worked on my hair. I'm 20 years old and I've been dying my hair since I was 14 I've had different hair colors ranging from blonde, red, auburn, dark brown, light brown, and really everything in between. Through the beginning of those years my hair would actually grab these colors really fast and I didn't have a problem with dying my hair only until I redyed my hair (permanent color) back to my original color which is black. After going back to black hair I've noticed that it has gotten difficult for my hair to really change into any color when applying hair dye so I went through those times where only my roots would change color and the rest of my hair would stay black so therefore I dyed my roots back to black to match the rest of my head and when my hair would lighten up on its own to a dark brown I would just dye it back to black because my hair is shoulder length and I was wearing extensions at the time and I just didn't want to go waste my money to change my hair color and buy a new pack of hair extensions so I kept it as is and I've been redying my hair back to black for the past 5 years. I can honestly say I think I look better with black hair but I've been getting so bored of it that I wanted something new for a change. I wanted light brown hair. This is when I asked my younger sister that is going to school for cosmetology to try dying my hair to a light brown again but I insisted that I did not want her using bleach on my hair whatsoever to lighten it because of some previous problems I had with using bleach on my hair, so I went to her beauty school the next day and she dyed my hair and the result was my roots were lighter while the rest of my hair was a darkish brown still black. I kind of figured it was going to turn out like this so I went online I researched other alternatives to bleaching and I found out about color removers (color strippers). Only if I knew about this sooner it would've made a huge difference when dying my hair.

Thank you for being patient and reading my brief hair history. Now I'll begin to explain this product. So I did a lot of research on different types of hair color removers and I finally settled with color oops because of the better reviews I was seeing from this product compared to the others I've read about. I was lucky enough to have it at my local target for only $10 I've read some reviews where it ranges for a couple dollars more but I know it all depends on where you live and where you buy it. So I was a bit skeptical when I first bought this product because I saw on the box that the starting out color of the "before coloring" was blonde hair and I'm thinking to myself no way in hell will it work for my hair since it's naturally black but I took the risk and tried it out and I'm glad I did despite it working more on hair colors that are naturally lighter. I bought two boxes and after having my younger sister apply the first box all over my head the smell lingered and it was horrendous I kid you not it smelled like someone set a bag of poop on fire and mixed it with eggs. Some might say that's over the top but having all three of my sisters saying the exact same thing I don't think I'm crazy. I recommend having someone apply it on for you because you don't want to miss any spots and you want it to lift evenly . I waited an hour even though it says to wash it out after 20 min and my hair lightened up to a reddish orange nothing over the top it looked a bit like an auburn color as well so I was actually pleased with the color it turned out and it actually even out with my light roots that my younger sister had previously dyed at her beauty school. The product did not burn at all it actually felt like shampoo that was being applied on my head but instead of a creamy like texture it was more of watery consistency. My hair surprisingly felt fine it wasn't breaking and it didn't have a rubbery consistency after the first process like it would if I had bleached my hair and I deeped conditioned it with Wen because with my hair was very thin and straight so I wanted to make sure I still took care of it plus the smell of my Wen conditioner helped with the egg smell the remover had. I waited until the next day to apply on the second application and after doing the same thing I did with the first which was rinsing it out after an hour and applying Wen my hair turned into a lighter orange and reddish tone, yes it was brassy as hell but I could rock with it and I was just more happy that the previous colors were lifting from my hair so I was not complaining. The second application did not do any damage to my hair only left it feeling a little dry but nothing crazy so I just made sure to apply a leave in conditioner on my ends so that I can bring back in the moisture. I actually got compliments on my hair which was surprising because I have not yet toned it out but I was wearing my naturally short hair that was orange with reddish undertones and I am glad to say that color oops works and it works on naturally dark hair that is previously colored. So whoever has dark hair like myself and is afraid to bleach their hair to go lighter this is the step I recommend to take which is using color oops. It really is a good product. I will be purchasing this product again when I want to go a bit lighter but for now I'll just tone it out and hopefully getting something in the browner shade.

on 2/9/2015 3:50:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have read a lot of reviews saying Color Oops was very effective. I bought this product rather than a traditional color remover/lifter because users rated this one as less damaging. My hair is naturally light brown and I have been coloring it dark brown with a semi permanent color for the past couple of years. I followed the instructions EXACTLY to ensure the best possible results. I soaked/rinsed my hair for 20 min, everything the directions said to do. The product smells HORRIBLE but that's not a big deal if it works. It gave me a headache breathing in the fumes so definitely keep a window open.

After processing my hair, it felt somewhat damaged, not nearly as bad as using bleach or color stripper but it definitely felt different. My hair was extremely dry and knotted and difficult to comb through. My color had minimally lifted; it went from dark brown to a slightly lighter dark brownish-orange. The product obviously does work to lift color, but I guess not for everyone. Maybe it depends on the type/color of the dye, some might be a lot harder to remove. The packaging says the process can be repeated one or more times, but I would be afraid to try it again after it made my hair feel so straw-like. I might try it again someday, but not anytime soon.

MY OVERALL REVIEW: This product MIGHT work for you. It seems like a 50/50 shot it will lift dye from your hair, if your hair is not damaged, try it out.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Other

This stuff got rid of all of the dark red dye in my natural red hair, so awesome for when I was tired of constantly dying my roots and wanted to switch to semi-permanent dye. I followed the directions exactly (saturate the hair during application, leave on for 20 minutes, rinse for 20 minutes, condition) and my hair appears dye-free. It does have a stink, it wasn't as noticeable when I was applying it, but it's very noticeable in my hair after the rinse and blow drying, so that's my only problem with the product. I'm sure it'll go away with a few shampoos, and it's worth it for the magic this product works.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Love this. I followed the directions EXACTLY and it took my dyed black hair back to its natural medium/dark brown color.

Back story- In August I went to a salon and had a balyage done on my hair. I hated it. It basically looked like blonde highlights on my dark brown hair. I used Redken shades to dye my whole head a dark brown color. For whatever reason, the color grabbed and my hair was black. I wasn't too worried since the color was a semi, but eventually I noticed the color was not fading and I was getting roots. I was not wanting to bleach my hair but desperately wanted rid of roots. After much googling and YouTube reviews, I decided to give Color Oops a try and I am so glad I did!

on 12/23/2014 6:07:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

So alittle history about my hair before I review the product. I had bleach blonde hair then dyed it dark brown with permanent box dye, then went to the salon and got a light brown hair color. The light brown started turning lighter and brassy and became a light brassy brownish yellow. So I dyed it with darkest brown permanent hair dye (bad idea) again. My hair was pretty dark so I used vitamin c and shampoo to remove it and about 10% was only removed and my hair became a dark reddish brown. So I bought color oops; it is about $17 in Canada (pretty pricey). It smells really bad but I have a high tolerance to smell so it didn't bother me that much while I was applying it. After 25 minutes I washed it out for 15-30 minutes and since I have short fine hair I was sure all the product was out. When I got out the shower my hair was a light chocolate brown color which I was excepting way lighter results. But the color it gave me was a really nice chocolate brown that I liked it. However, I waited 2 days before washing my hair again and the smell became soo much stronger. Also the color got darker, it's closer to the dark color than the light brown I was hoping for. I'm pretty sure I washed my hair very well but I guess not since the color came back dark. The smell just got so much stronger after washing it and it doesn't seem to go away. Since the results didn't work that well and the smell is so bad I don't think it's really worth use it. I personally wouldn't use this product again because it's just so much work getting it out your hair, however it is much safer than bleach and didn't cause any damage to my hair.

on 12/1/2014 1:50:00 PM

I was a little hesitant to try it because I have bleached and dyed my hair so many times. But it turned out pretty good, without having to do it another time. While I do not mind the colour now, once it starts changing I will give it another go. Colour oops only removes hair dye, it will not take colour off of virgin hair. If you had naturally blond hair you probably will get a tint to it. More layers of hair dye more times you may have to use this product. My hair still feels in pretty good shape, my ends could use a trim but they could have used it before I used this product. If you have ever bleached your hair your base colour after using this will be either really copper yellow or bright yellow. If you have dyed your hair a lot, even not bleaching you may still gets spots from excess damage from dying. The red I had on my hair lifted some colour from my natural colour so it's still a little red, but I don't mind it.
read other reviews if you must, I was pleasantly surprised. Definitely better than stripping or bleaching right away.
Yes the smell is not the greatest, but it does not smell as bad as what I was expecting based on other reviews. If you have ever permed your hair, which I have, it's a similar smell to that.
You may also have to cut the tip off the applicator bottle, but other than that no issues, very runny product but it made it for easer application I feel like. It was $17.99 where I'm from, so be prepared for different price ranges.
1 box worked for my entire head, I have thin straight hair, passed my chest.
Hope it works for you! I definitely will keep this product in mind