MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

on 7/9/2014 11:25:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this primer!

Not that I primarily use it as a primer really, but itís my go-to SPF for daily use. I genuinely hate most of the facial SPF products that Iíve tried over the years Ė they make my skin feel tight, tacky, sticky, or look super shiny, they make me look a funny colour/ill (Iím very pale anyway!)Ö and if they donít do any of those things, then they tend not to get on well with my moisturiser and Ďbobbleí.

Not so for this primer Ė it goes on nicely, it doesnít give me that white cast, and being a primer designed to be a bit matte, it doesnít make me shiny and sticky either. Although I normally avoid mattifying products (dry skin!), but this primer gives my skin more of a satin finish, rather than a full on super-matte finish, so in that respect it is perfect.

I live in the UK, so donít get that much of a chance to expose my skin to direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time, but Iíve worn this outdoors at festivals and not burnt or even seen my freckles get darker, which is a good sign that the SPF is doing what it should. This product also gets a ĎBestí rating on Paulaís Choice and they sing the products of its SPF qualities, which is reassuring.

This is a fairly expensive product for daily use, but you know what? I donít mind paying out for something that I love to use, and I love to use this primer. Sure Iíd like more for my money (the bottle is quite small) but at least it comes in a tube that you can cut open to get every little bit out.

Speaking of the packaging, it comes in the usual sleek black MAC packaging style, which I love. Also the cap of the bottle is flat enough that this SPF will stand up on the lid, meaning itís easier to squeeze the product out when itís running low.

This product has, and will remain, a frequent re-purchase for me. Iíd recommend it to anyone looking for a high SPF facial product that doesnít feel like you are wearing an SPF.

on 6/17/2014 9:13:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Excellent Oil control for me even on sunny days.

I'm on my second pack. I can't live without it now.

Buy this product if you have oily T-zone.

It did not make me breakout or anything even though I often sleep off with make up on...

Its pricey but it's worth it.

on 3/12/2014 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used to like this product because I have very oily skin and it made my face matte all day and I only had to blot once a day vs 8-9 times a day. Too bad they changed the formulation. Now it feels gooey on my face and does not control oil at all! MAC should bring the old formultaion back! I'm still searching for a mattifying primer smh..

on 3/10/2014 11:05:00 PM

OH MY GOD. Why did mac change the formula. why. This was holy grail for the past 4 years and I knew there was something different about it this time round, I actually thought my bottle was expired so I went to the Mac counter and learnt of this new change..which imo, is a huge mistake. Man, I could throw a big tantrum over this. It doesn't control oil at all. Doesn't make my foundation sit well. Basically, it did nothing. It doesn't even dry well after I put it on. Used to keep the oils at bay for five hours, now it makes my face look oilier than it ever did. Not to mention, it smells funny and reminds me of this ointment I used in my childhood. Because I don't want to waste it I'll probably use this as sunscreen on my neck. Sucks I have to hunt for another holy grail again...if anyone has any good suggestions please let me know :(

on 3/10/2014 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is one of the best things to ever go on my face. But actually, it makes my makeup last all day, keeps me matte all day, and has spf!! I've veen using it for 3 years at least and if they ever discontinue it I might give up on life....ok not really but it'll be hard to match this amazing primer.

on 3/9/2014 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This has great oil-control! I noticed a big difference at the end of the day when I used this. My nose and forehead was less shiny. The packaging is horrible, its impossible to get the last product out. I did notice that my foundation did not apply as smooth and flawless with this compared to my other primers so I would not repurchase. I really recommend it for girls with superoily skin, its worth it!

on 1/8/2014 4:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Bought this product due to a recommendation by the mua, I'm very oily and needed something to keep oil at bay! I do like it but find sometimes if I put too much on it makes me feel caked after a few hours. It also has a strange smell but not overpowering. Packaging is ok and price is slightly high but overall it is a good product and would repurchase as it's got good SPF and doesn't seem to break me out!

on 1/3/2014 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I had high hopes for this but i am disappointed. Only thing i like is that it has a high spf and its a good packaging. The mua said that it works as a primer. It does not make my makeup last and makes my foundation looks even more greasy.

on 11/3/2013 4:24:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I know it works well for a lot of other people but unfortunately for me I was left really disappointed. I found that it didn't help my foundation sit any better than with just having my moisturiser and foundation on. It did nothing for oil control throughout the day, I still got shiny and oily on my t-zone and probably even more so with this primer on, not only that but it looked like my make up was melting and disintegrating after just a few hours which was unusual for me before using this primer. For these reasons I will not repurchase.

on 10/10/2013 10:25:00 AM

Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure

The best primer by far, for someone like myself that struggles with oilness. I bought Mac blot pressed powder and I thought that was good until I tried this one. From now one it's going to be my HG. And YES I would definitely buy it again.