MAC Prep + Prime Face Protect SPF 50

3.8

NEW Formula August 2012: Estimted PPD: 6.2 Avobenzone 3%, Homosalate 5%, Octisalate 5%, Oxybenzone 3%. Water, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyester-8, Aleurites Moluccana (Kukui) Seed Oil, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone, PEG-100 Stearate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, Dipentaerythrityl Tri-polyhydroxystearate, Laminaria Ochroleuca Extract, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Fruit Extract, Morus Nigra (Mulberry) Root Extract, Scutellaria Biacalensis Root Extract, Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract, Yeast Extract, Whey Protein, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Caffeine, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acetyl Glucosamine, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, C30-38 Olefin/Isopropyl Malate/MA Copolymer, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Dehydroxanthan Gum, Caprylyl Glycol, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Mica ORIGINAL Formula: Estimated PPD ~ 9.1 Active ingredients: Zinc Oxide 16.10%, Octinoxate 7.50% Water\Aqua\Eau, Cyclopentasiloxane, Butylene Glycol, PEG-7 Dimethicone, Cyclohexasiloxane, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Methyl Gluceth-10, Glycerin, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Caffeine, Tocopherol, Sucrose, Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate, Cellulose Acetate, Methicone, PEG/PPG-19/19 Dimethicone, Magnesium Sulfate, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Silica, Sorbic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

I didn't know they've changed the formula but, this primer is ok. My foundation evens out better with this primer, my face appears slightly smooth and it does make my pores appear slightly smaller but by noon (about 5hours) It gets really shiny especially in my t-zone and my makeup starts to fade. But on the whole, this works better for me as compared to silicone primers. Not exactly the best, but good enough. Im still on a lookout for a good non-silicone primer

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

WHY DID THEY CHANGE THE FORMULA?!?!?!
This was my holy grail primer. It had spf 50 AND it left my skin with the perfect matte canvas to put foundation over. I used it for about 2 years but now they changed the formula and I need to find a new primer/spf (hence the 3 lippies...I couldn't give it low rating because if we're talking about the old formula I would have given it 5 lippies, so I averaged it over between the 2 formulas lol)

*IF ANYONE ELSE WHO USED THE OLD FORMULA FINDS A PRODUCT THAT THEY THINK IS A GOOD REPLACEMENT PLEASE PLEASEEEE MESSAGE ME! I've tried over 10 similar products and so far nothing compares :'-(

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this primer!

Not that I primarily use it as a primer really, but it’s my go-to SPF for daily use. I genuinely hate most of the facial SPF products that I’ve tried over the years – they make my skin feel tight, tacky, sticky, or look super shiny, they make me look a funny colour/ill (I’m very pale anyway!)… and if they don’t do any of those things, then they tend not to get on well with my moisturiser and ‘bobble’.

Not so for this primer – it goes on nicely, it doesn’t give me that white cast, and being a primer designed to be a bit matte, it doesn’t make me shiny and sticky either. Although I normally avoid mattifying products (dry skin!), but this primer gives my skin more of a satin finish, rather than a full on super-matte finish, so in that respect it is perfect.

I live in the UK, so don’t get that much of a chance to expose my skin to direct sunlight for prolonged periods of time, but I’ve worn this outdoors at festivals and not burnt or even seen my freckles get darker, which is a good sign that the SPF is doing what it should. This product also gets a ‘Best’ rating on Paula’s Choice and they sing the products of its SPF qualities, which is reassuring.

This is a fairly expensive product for daily use, but you know what? I don’t mind paying out for something that I love to use, and I love to use this primer. Sure I’d like more for my money (the bottle is quite small) but at least it comes in a tube that you can cut open to get every little bit out.

Speaking of the packaging, it comes in the usual sleek black MAC packaging style, which I love. Also the cap of the bottle is flat enough that this SPF will stand up on the lid, meaning it’s easier to squeeze the product out when it’s running low.

This product has, and will remain, a frequent re-purchase for me. I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a high SPF facial product that doesn’t feel like you are wearing an SPF.

Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

Excellent Oil control for me even on sunny days.

I'm on my second pack. I can't live without it now.

Buy this product if you have oily T-zone.

It did not make me breakout or anything even though I often sleep off with make up on...

Its pricey but it's worth it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I used to like this product because I have very oily skin and it made my face matte all day and I only had to blot once a day vs 8-9 times a day. Too bad they changed the formulation. Now it feels gooey on my face and does not control oil at all! MAC should bring the old formultaion back! I'm still searching for a mattifying primer smh..

OH MY GOD. Why did mac change the formula. why. This was holy grail for the past 4 years and I knew there was something different about it this time round, I actually thought my bottle was expired so I went to the Mac counter and learnt of this new change..which imo, is a huge mistake. Man, I could throw a big tantrum over this. It doesn't control oil at all. Doesn't make my foundation sit well. Basically, it did nothing. It doesn't even dry well after I put it on. Used to keep the oils at bay for five hours, now it makes my face look oilier than it ever did. Not to mention, it smells funny and reminds me of this ointment I used in my childhood. Because I don't want to waste it I'll probably use this as sunscreen on my neck. Sucks I have to hunt for another holy grail again...if anyone has any good suggestions please let me know :(

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This used to be one of the best things to ever go on my face. Used to make my makeup last all day, my face used to not get oily whatsoever, and has spf!! I was using it for 3 years before..DUM DUM DUM......they changed their formula.

Now it SUCKS. It does not control oil at all. Within an hour I start getting shiny again, and none of my makeup lasts throughout the day.

Do not bother with this product if you have oily skin.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This has great oil-control! I noticed a big difference at the end of the day when I used this. My nose and forehead was less shiny. The packaging is horrible, its impossible to get the last product out. I did notice that my foundation did not apply as smooth and flawless with this compared to my other primers so I would not repurchase. I really recommend it for girls with superoily skin, its worth it!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Bought this product due to a recommendation by the mua, I'm very oily and needed something to keep oil at bay! I do like it but find sometimes if I put too much on it makes me feel caked after a few hours. It also has a strange smell but not overpowering. Packaging is ok and price is slightly high but overall it is a good product and would repurchase as it's got good SPF and doesn't seem to break me out!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

I had high hopes for this but i am disappointed. Only thing i like is that it has a high spf and its a good packaging. The mua said that it works as a primer. It does not make my makeup last and makes my foundation looks even more greasy.

Popular Primer/ Correctors