Aveda Large Paddle Brush

4.7

on 11/15/2011 4:38:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Coarse

Love this type of brush! Only brush that can successfully pull through my thick, coarse hair. I use it for everything-brushing to straightening.

on 8/25/2011 1:12:00 AM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Love it. Easy to handle

on 8/9/2011 12:54:00 PM

I absolutely LOVE this hairbrush. I've had probably 2 in my lifetime (one went missing under my bed when I was 12). I don't ever use other brushes.

For whatever reason, when I blow-dry with a round brush it disrupts my cuticle and I end up with flyaway city on my head. My hair is pin-straight without much help, and it ensures that my hair is shiny and smooth.

I can't get a better blow-dry, regardless of products. I also like how it feels, and how it doesn't yank at my hair like other brushes. The wood does age and get streaky, but it kind of makes me proud that I've kept a hairbrush around so long. Mine does have a hairline crack, but I've been using this specific brush for around 10 years.

For the record, I have very fine hair, but a lot of it. It tangles very, very easily (sort of like if you put iPod headphones in your purse), and it is very straight, with barely any wave at all.

on 8/9/2011 11:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Thanks to the wonderful MUA reviews and my awesome hairdresser at an Aveda salon, I purchased this brush yesterday at an Aveda store. AWESOME! This brush beats my FF brush all to heck and the FF was 3 times the price. $20 USD for this brush was incredibly inexpensive. It will last forever. I have a POB haircut and this works for smoothing it and making it so shiny and soft looking. LOVE IT! I guess my Australian Shepard will be getting the FF brush now. :)

on 5/2/2011 11:13:00 AM

I love my brush - I've had it nearly a decade! Yipes! It's travelled with me extensively throughout the world, and has held up like a champ! The wood has a few scuffs, but nothing tragic. I've never lost any bristles, and it hasn't cracked at all. I find this brush to be very effective at detangling my hair, either wet or dry. I can barely get anything through my mane after a beach day, but this brush glides on through. Aveda says it's massaging for scalps, and I would agree with that - it's very soft but so effective at getting out knots quickly, without having to rip at my hair. I'm probably due for a new brush soon, and I'll definitely repurchase. Highly recommend as an HG hair tool.

I love this brush. Even with my dramatic hair change from long to bob, it is my #1 tool. It works great on wet and dry hair and doubles as a blow drying tool. It feels great on my scalp with out hurting and its easy to clean.The BEST hair brush ever!

on 2/1/2011 6:06:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really don't consider this brush expensive, its cheap compared to a Mason Pearson! I had my eyes set on one of those but then, after seeing the rave reviews about this one, decided to get the aveda instead. I love how it kinda scratches my scalp. I scratch it unconsciously at times and this brush alleviates my craving to scratch. =) lol. So far I like how the brush works. I like it more than my other brush and comb. Yay.

on 11/3/2010 12:57:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have the Aveda medium size wood brush. I wish I had not bought it. The wood has become very marked and the veneer o nit is coming off even thought it is only 6 months old. I will stick with Sephora's smoothing hair brush.

on 9/3/2010 10:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

HG, had no idea what a difference a good brush could make, I also have a Mason Pearson () and was really quite disappointed as it scratches my scalp, but this little beauty is fabulous. I have a lot of fine colour-treated greasy hair which can look very limp, but after a good brush with this it looks shiney, healthy and full of volume. Can't recommend strongly enough. (Think I even got it free with a couple of huge bottles of shampoo).
Edited Feb 2004: Unfortunately, just went to use this brush and it literally fell apart in my hands - the rubber perished and the bristles fell out ! According to the internet I am not alone. Reduced from 5 to 4 stars and changed to non-repurchase as will look at the other paddle brushes out there now.

on 6/30/2010 10:15:00 AM

I bought this paddle brush on the recommendation of a friend. I have thick, waist length hair that is a nightmare to brush and detangle, especially after washing.

This paddle brush can be used when my hair is still wet, as well as on dry hair. It glides through tangles easily without breaking or yanking out tonnes of hair like other brushes.

I find the bristles give me scalp a nice massage as well. It costs about 15 which I think is very reasonable for such an excellent brush. It seems pretty sturdy too so it should last a very long time. Definately HG!

Popular Misc Beauty Tools

Derma Roller
the sponge
Mia
Foreo - Luna

Video Reviews & Tutorials

Final Results of Aveda's Naturally Straight after 5 Uses. 4A, 4B, 4C & 4Z hair by Brandie Jeanette

How to Straighten Kinky Hair With Aveda's Naturally Straight. 4A, 4B, 4C , 4Z Type Hair by Brandie Jeanette