October 21, 2014 | 1875 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2014 4:34:00 PM More reviews by paigie42

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this as my daily moisturizer. It has a small amount of tint to it to even out the whitish cast that the sunscreen would normally leave. The tint really has no impact on my skin. It has a bit of a thick consistency and leaves a slightly dewy finish on my skin. I thought it might not be enough moisture for my slightly combo skin, but it feels very good on - not too heavy or greasy, but not drying or tight either. It leaves a nice finish for me to apply my liquid foundation over. The best part for me is that it does not sting my eyes like other sunscreens. I have a hard time with that and have had to stop using many products for that reason. Even though it is not labeled as a daily moisturizer, I would recommend this for anyone who doesn't need a ton of moisture or for summer use. My only complaint is that it is a little expensive for my budget, but I will probably repurchase when I run out.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2014 10:35:00 PM More reviews by athenasius

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a physical sunscreen, full spectrum. No chemical screen, and it is oil blocking, non comedogenic and has antioxidants in it. It works as a tinted moisturizer if you are fair, and the tint just blocks the chalk look of the physical sunscreen ingredients. It can be used as a primer as well.

I bought it last year because my skin is reacting to chemical sunscreens. I love it. I do have to wear a good cream under it on my dry skin areas aka the non t zone bits. Prevented tanning, freckling & burning. No zits.

I found it worked well as a tinted moisturizer but I'm a fair skinned redhead. I also set it with an spf pressed powder from Maybelline now discontinued!!!! Next I will try with Elizabeth Arden spf 25 mineral powder foundation. Edited to add, this is a wonderful combo. It ups the SPF a bit which is great, plus it adds another sheer layer of coverage but it looks like you aren't wearing anything, just that your skin looks great.

It tends to separate in the tube so give a good shake and massage the tube every few days.

Great for travel, the tube is under the liquid allowance limit so if you just use a carry on you will find it handy.

The ONLY downside is that it can be a bit drying. On the plus side, it doesn't enhance flaky dry bits or cause zits, so the comfort factor is the only negative and I solved that by applying CeraVe on my dry patches before applying this.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2014 8:37:00 AM More reviews by Star28

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really, really wanted to like this product, as I need a physical sunscreen. This one gets a lot of high ratings, is a great sunscreen and also contains lots of stuff that's good for your skin. So off to the Clinique counter I went.

The color of this product, while brown, blended in nicely with my skintone. But this product settled into every single pore on my face and made my pores more noticeable. It also settled into all my fine lines (and I don't have many). Applied foundation and concealer over this, which helped, but the color of my foundation was slightly off with this underneath it.

Applied this about 10 a.m. and washed my face around 8 p.m. No residue left on my face after using my regular cleanser.

Positives:
Easy to apply
Felt cosmetically elegant
Gives great sun protection
Price is decent for a silky facial physical sunscreen
I didn't have to blot my face once when wearing this!

Cons:
Settled into every single pore and line on my face
To get adequate sun protection you'd need to apply an entire teaspoon of this product. A teaspoon worth of this product on the face would be way too thick and sticky
As the day wore on, my face looked grainy
As the day wore on, my facial lines appeared magnified

I wanted to get a sample of this before purchasing a full-sized tube but was told samples of this product were not available. However, I was assured by the salesperson that I could return the product once I'd tried it if I didn't like it. Back it went. Still searching for an affordable physical sunscreen that plays nice with my skin.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/5/2014 5:56:00 AM More reviews by yummymummy2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Great stuff.

I've been using this and the City Block SPF40 for 20 years. It seems to work and at 50+ I have no wrinkles and little pigmentation.

There is a difference between this and the SPF40 version. This is thicker because it has more titanium dioxide and fewer chemicals. Whilst this is good in my opinion it does make for a thicker product which can 'bubble' if you apply too much.

It's also darker than the SPF40- mainly due to being less sheer. For a pale girl like me, it is darker than my foundation, so adds colour even though sometimes I'd rather it didn't.

I don't agree with the idea it's greasy- I don't think it is at all. It's good value and even using it daily a tube lasts me around 6 months which seems a real bargain!

I'd rate it as 5 *s if it wasn't so tinted.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/26/2013 5:48:00 AM More reviews by Kittenwhiskas

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This makes me look very shiny even though it says oil free. Its a shame because the formula is very gentle and has a nice sheer tint which doesn't leave a white cast. If I apply foundation over the top, these tiny little powdery particles start to ball up and ruin my application. I will not be repurchasing but will continue to wear when I go for a run.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 12/23/2013 4:22:00 AM More reviews by 5starchikita

The first thing I will say is that I did find this better than the Clinique Super City block SPF 40, this new and improved formula has a lighter texture and does seem to be better than the original in my opinion. I'm time poor in the mornings so am always a fan of multi-task products, and this one is recommended as a sunscreen as well as a primer.

I like this sheer texture sun screen when wearing it alone, but unfortunately wearing it with my Clinique foundation on top did not work for me as it reduced the time my foundation lasted. I love that it has UVA and UVB protection which is enough for sitting in the office all day with lunch and breaks outside in the harsh New Zealand sun. It also has a lot of antioxidants, including Vitamin C and E, so for some people this can do a 4-fold duty - antioxidant, moisturizer, broad-spectrum sunscreen, and (light) tinted moisturiser.

I love the texture, It feels light yet creamy on my skin, and it almost feels like my skin is 'drinking' it in leaving my skin looking healthy and beautiful. If you like a natural look -this might be the product for you. The sheer tint deposits a little bit of colour while still letting my skin tone come through which is a nice touch. It helps to even out your skin tone somewhat which is great since I am mainly using it now when I just want sheer cover and some SPF protection.

I also really liked the squeeze tube, which is convenient, hygienic and easy to get out. The size of the tube makes it super easy to travel with too, with no concerns about it leaking.

I’d buy this again if I was looking for a product to provide sheer cover with some SPF protection along with antioxidants.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2013 10:39:00 AM More reviews by Mikeswife

This is a lightly tinted facial sunscreen that is a great addition to your summer makeup bag.

Price: I always think of Clinique as the gateway product to department store makeup counters. Their prices on makeup, cleansers, etc are a good place to start if you've never ponied up big bucks at Clarins, Chanel, etc; throw in their gifts with purchase and buying from them seems like a no-brainer. I read glowing reviews about this stuff on Paula's Choice website and figured I'd give it a shot, particularly because I wanted a summer facial sunscreen that didn't apply white so I could wear it during the day.

Packaging: This comes in a handy tube; I traveled with it several times over the summer and had zero issues with it leaking. It stores with the cap at the bottom, so you can really get all of the product out of the package.

Product: This has no smell, and is colored like a tinted moisturizer, so you can really get away with just wearing this without other base makeup when going to the beach, pool, etc. I like the level of SPF it contains, and had no issue at all with breakouts or greasiness. I also didn't find this to be overly oily or heavy. I think this is a great product to throw in a bag while on a vacation, particularly if you are not really a fan (as I am not) of using stuff like Banana Boat or Coppertone on your face.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/21/2013 1:18:00 AM More reviews by ig018dummiie

Anyone know why everytime I squeeze some out even after shaking it, oil comes out..??

rated 5 of 5 on 8/28/2013 12:08:00 AM More reviews by BlueSkies09

I have been using this sunscreen for almost a year now and it would have to be my favourite so far. It has a light creamy texture with a skin-like tint that works for light or medium tones. The tint lasts and does not transfer during the day. It does go on sheer as the name suggests, evening out skin tone and leaving a slight luminosity to skin. I could understand that on oily skin the finish may be shinier, even dewy, which may or may not be your cup of tea, but I have never found it to be heavy, just a natural and fresh finish. It just looks like my skin only better. For drier skins, try using a moisturiser or serum along with this product before giving up on it (this works well for me on dry days).

I have used it with success as a primer under foundation (in summer) and as a tinted moisturiser (a perfect match in winter, when I am lighter). In fact I have been complimented when wearing it like a tinted moisturiser, with concealer only where needed and a hint of blush, so this is now what I wear regularly. It helps to keep my makeup routine quick and simple on weekdays, and it is healthier for the skin. I then pull out the foundation for weekends or going out.

One little tip: when you get to the end of the tube, cut off the bottom to access the remaining product that you can't squeeze out. I keep it covered with cling film and a rubber band so it doesn't dry out or you could scrape it into a tester pot.

While it is expensive, it has many virtues: it is a versatile product; one tube lasts for months; it is fragrance-free and oil-free; it contains antioxidants; it is a mineral sunscreen, so it is gentle on sensitive skin and the zinc may be beneficial for blemished skin. It is worth every penny if you buy it when there is a gift with purchase and if you make sure you use up every drop.

I have tried the SPF 30 City Block and did not like it as much.

Overall, a terrific sunscreen for all skin types apart from oily.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2013 7:42:00 AM More reviews by lessismore3

I love this sunscreen! Started using whilst on accurate and when everyone was extolling the need to for sunblock use to protect your skin. This is the only sunscreen that doesn't make my face break out. It feels fantastic on my skin, nice tint and is just a spot on facial sunscreen.