January 25, 2015 | 1968 users online

Sunscreen - Clinique - Sheer City Block SPF 25

image 0image 1image 2

rated 3 of 5 on 7/15/2014 4:19:00 AM More reviews by VeryAroma

Shame on Clinique! I tried the City Block 25 and am loving it. The slight tint, the feel on my skin - all very pleasant.
Now I have to find out that the European version of this DOES NOT contain zinc oxide and therefore has very little UV-A protection. I am bummed and will not repurchase unless I can get my hands on the US-version. Really Clinique, this sucks!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/13/2014 11:48:00 PM More reviews by Phivu

I loved the texture of this sunscreen and the tint, even though it doesn't make much difference in terms of color. I could see tiny powderys on my face from using this- the tint doesn't totally disappear, but I'm fine with it and it's not really noticeable. The reason this didn't work for me was because it wasn't enough moisture for my skin. When I first put on the sunscreen it felt thick and great but later my face felt a bit tight and even a bit warm especially under my nose where I breathe out (but that burning/warm feeling went away after putting make up on). I have combination skin but my face needs more moisture, and this physical sunscreen tends to dry out my skin and I can't use it. Be sure to try this sunscreen before you buy it to make sure you don't have tight feeling skin after. Get this if your face doesn't need too much moisture like I do.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2014 5:14:00 PM More reviews by MelissaMary

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Word to the acne prone: I would take caution in trying this spf, which is actually more like a moisturizer with spf. Clogged me big time. Otherwise, it's a great product.

PROS:
Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide = stable, effective spf
Tinted to avoid white cast from physical ss
Antioxidants
Smooth application
No irritating ingredients

CONS:
If you use too much, the tint can turn ruddy colored (which isn't ideal since you are supposed to liberally apply spf)
Clogging ingredient: Stearyl heptanoate = thick emolient
Clogging ingredient: cyclopentasiloxane

Of course, YMMV with the ingredients in city block that clogged me. When I wore even a thin layer, 20 mins later small clogs could easily be seen under the surface of my cheeks. I never have clogs on my cheeks unless I'm using a clogging product. After stopping my use of city block, the clogs disappeared within a week.

Overall, a well formulated spf with beneficial ingredients and cosmetically elegant formula. If only it didn't clog damn it!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2014 4:34:00 PM More reviews by paigie42

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I use this as my daily moisturizer. It has a small amount of tint to it to even out the whitish cast that the sunscreen would normally leave. The tint really has no impact on my skin. It has a bit of a thick consistency and leaves a slightly dewy finish on my skin. I thought it might not be enough moisture for my slightly combo skin, but it feels very good on - not too heavy or greasy, but not drying or tight either. It leaves a nice finish for me to apply my liquid foundation over. The best part for me is that it does not sting my eyes like other sunscreens. I have a hard time with that and have had to stop using many products for that reason. Even though it is not labeled as a daily moisturizer, I would recommend this for anyone who doesn't need a ton of moisture or for summer use. My only complaint is that it is a little expensive for my budget, but I will probably repurchase when I run out.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/2/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by sciencegeek

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This sunscreen feels a bit heavy but doesn't make my skin oily. I can feel it's there, and I am aware I have an 'extra layer' but it doesn't bother me or affect my make up in any way. However, it gives me this very obvious white/grey cast... I am light olive and this makes me look tired/ill. I used this with a light layer of foundation and bronzer and was still very visible. I see how it works for really fair people though. I also don't like the smell but the product in itself is really good. I would use it if it didn't leave a cast.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/14/2014 7:59:00 PM More reviews by dyanp989

I love this! I've been trying in vain to find a sunscreen/primer since MAC changed the formula on prep and prime 50. My skin does not do well with chemical sunscreens and the physical screens in this are great. It also has oil control and keeps my makeup in tct for the work day. HG!

P.s. Let it dry before applying makeup! World of difference - makes it a primer instead of just sunscreen.
Thanks Rachel for the tip!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2014 10:35:00 PM More reviews by athenasius

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a physical sunscreen, full spectrum. No chemical screen, and it is oil blocking, non comedogenic and has antioxidants in it. It works as a tinted moisturizer if you are fair, and the tint just blocks the chalk look of the physical sunscreen ingredients. It can be used as a primer as well.

I bought it last year because my skin is reacting to chemical sunscreens. I love it. I do have to wear a good cream under it on my dry skin areas aka the non t zone bits. Prevented tanning, freckling & burning. No zits.

I found it worked well as a tinted moisturizer but I'm a fair skinned redhead. I also set it with an spf pressed powder from Maybelline now discontinued!!!! Next I will try with Elizabeth Arden spf 25 mineral powder foundation. Edited to add, this is a wonderful combo. It ups the SPF a bit which is great, plus it adds another sheer layer of coverage but it looks like you aren't wearing anything, just that your skin looks great.

It tends to separate in the tube so give a good shake and massage the tube every few days.

Great for travel, the tube is under the liquid allowance limit so if you just use a carry on you will find it handy.

The ONLY downside is that it can be a bit drying. On the plus side, it doesn't enhance flaky dry bits or cause zits, so the comfort factor is the only negative and I solved that by applying CeraVe on my dry patches before applying this.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2014 11:43:00 AM More reviews by mdriggers09

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Perfect sunblock for my face, does not break me out, works great under makeup and I feel that it has improved my skin a lot. I use the SPF 40 instead of the 25 though.

Just a tip; since it dries fast work in small sections and don't rub it once it dries or it might 'pill.'

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/25/2014 8:37:00 AM More reviews by Star28

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really, really wanted to like this product, as I need a physical sunscreen. This one gets a lot of high ratings, is a great sunscreen and also contains lots of stuff that's good for your skin. So off to the Clinique counter I went.

The color of this product, while brown, blended in nicely with my skintone. But this product settled into every single pore on my face and made my pores more noticeable. It also settled into all my fine lines (and I don't have many). Applied foundation and concealer over this, which helped, but the color of my foundation was slightly off with this underneath it.

Applied this about 10 a.m. and washed my face around 8 p.m. No residue left on my face after using my regular cleanser.

Positives:
Easy to apply
Felt cosmetically elegant
Gives great sun protection
Price is decent for a silky facial physical sunscreen
I didn't have to blot my face once when wearing this!

Cons:
Settled into every single pore and line on my face
To get adequate sun protection you'd need to apply an entire teaspoon of this product. A teaspoon worth of this product on the face would be way too thick and sticky
As the day wore on, my face looked grainy
As the day wore on, my facial lines appeared magnified

I wanted to get a sample of this before purchasing a full-sized tube but was told samples of this product were not available. However, I was assured by the salesperson that I could return the product once I'd tried it if I didn't like it. Back it went. Still searching for an affordable physical sunscreen that plays nice with my skin.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2014 12:13:00 PM More reviews by 4665325

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

best sunscreen ever for the face..........oil free, feels like nothing on the skin, and is skin colour......great for reapplying in the middle of the day too over your makeup if you really need too..........those other sunscreens that say ultra-lite fluid don't feel light on my skin at all