MAC #129 Powder/Blush Brush

on 9/7/2013 6:12:00 PM

I probably would have given this 2 lippies but today I was washing this and I noticed by the ferrule a bronze color to the bristles. I thought maybe I had gotten some cream color on it so I tried to wash it out but the bristles started to crumble where I touched that part. I think it had lost the black pigment and now it is shredding and disintegrating. I don't even use this that much either and when I have there is sometimes a stray bristle that I have to pick off my face. This does shed when you wash it too. It is also scratchy feeling and not soft.
I think only MAC eye brushes are worth buying.

on 7/28/2013 1:17:00 AM

Hm...I've been using this brush for almost a year and I haven't had any shedding problems! I actually don't use this for blush but for contouring and applying bronzer instead - I love it! It lasts for a long time if you clean it regularly - definitely an HG brush!

It is basic blush brush which is nice and soft. It is of average size so will suit most people unless you have very small cheek area. The density of the bristles is average so you won't end up over-applying a very pigmented product.
Guess the brush can be used for any powder products, yet I prefer to use it as a blush brush.
Have not experienced any shading yet, but I haven't used the brush much so far.

on 5/7/2013 11:11:00 AM

This was my first Mac Brush....NOT the best experience...It was expensive and shed wayy to much. i threw it away because of how much it would shed, :/

on 2/9/2013 11:02:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This would be the most PERFECT face brush in the world if it didn't shed like a Jack Russell Terrier in the spring! It has the perfect shape & density that I want from a blush brush (but I prefer to use it to apply my finishing powder); except the problem is, the shedding! I constantly have to pick hairs off of my face and powder pan when I use this! I had this problem since the brush was brand new, and figured the shedding would "slow down" with time, or, after a few cleanings. But- it just didn't happen. I agree with a previous reviewer who said that MAC really needs to address (and fix) this problem! While this brush is NOT cheap, it sure behaves like one! (If not WORSE.)

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I really, really, really wanted to love this brush. I got it because the sales rep at MAC told me it was great for applying foundation & giving it an airbrushed look. I love how it makes my foundation look, however this brush sheds a LOT ! I mean it's really irritating to have to pick bristles off my face whiile trying to apply my foundation. MAC needs to do something about that. That is the only reason I won't re purchase. This brush costs too much to constantly do that.

on 11/28/2012 12:47:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I bought the short handle version of this brush, which makes it a very versatile powder/bronzer/blush brush for travel. Great quality. But not a must have.

on 11/25/2012 9:54:00 PM

Great for blush, bronzer and setting powder. Great brush!

on 11/25/2012 1:43:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This was one of those products that I got home and couldn't figure out why I'd bought it. I'd gone to MAC and bought a few products and got a bit carried away. I'd wanted an all-over face powder brush and came home with the MAC 129. Although I wouldn't use it all over my face, I'm still glad I bought it. It doesn't shed, holds powder well and applies blusher nicely.
I would not buy this product again as I don't really see this one breaking.

If you have the kind of money to spend on MAC brushes, then this is a good brush but if this brush did break, then I'd try to find a cheaper dupe for it.

on 9/8/2012 7:23:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

UPDATE 19/9:
Somehow my 129 feels a tad bit softer after washing it several times with Baby shampoo (I used red Johnson & Johnson shampoo).
I'm still using it as a blending brush, just cause it's not stiff.

Why I like this:
- This brush is great in picking up and placing products on your face, but it's just too big for contouring.
I just love round blush brush in general, cause I can just dab it on the tip and blend out.

Why I don't like this brush:
- it's SCRATCHY.
Everytime I use 129 to apply pressed blush, my cheek went very, very itchy, even few minutes after I can still feel the itchiness.
I should mention my cheek is dry.
- It sheds. Not much but I notice few shedding.

All in all, I will still use this on emergency. I think it does what it's meant to do well, which is for blush and powder. Only that my skin can't stand its scratchiness.
I wouldn't recommend this for dry skin.