April 18, 2014 | 1480 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #129 Powder/Blush Brush

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2013 11:02:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

This would be the most PERFECT face brush in the world if it didn't shed like a Jack Russell Terrier in the spring! It has the perfect shape & density that I want from a blush brush (but I prefer to use it to apply my finishing powder); except the problem is, the shedding! I constantly have to pick hairs off of my face and powder pan when I use this! I had this problem since the brush was brand new, and figured the shedding would "slow down" with time, or, after a few cleanings. But- it just didn't happen. I agree with a previous reviewer who said that MAC really needs to address (and fix) this problem! While this brush is NOT cheap, it sure behaves like one! (If not WORSE.)

rated 3 of 5 on 12/26/2012 12:02:00 PM More reviews by ShaeCBeautyQueen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really, really, really wanted to love this brush. I got it because the sales rep at MAC told me it was great for applying foundation & giving it an airbrushed look. I love how it makes my foundation look, however this brush sheds a LOT ! I mean it's really irritating to have to pick bristles off my face whiile trying to apply my foundation. MAC needs to do something about that. That is the only reason I won't re purchase. This brush costs too much to constantly do that.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2012 8:31:00 PM More reviews by anjelykah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

While there are some people that swear by MAC brushes, I only have a few that are deemed HG status. (210 best for cream eye liners, 217 and 224 best for blending eye shadows and 187 for blending highly pigmented blushes).

However, I've had a love/hate relationship with the 129 blush brush. I originally purchased it but then swapped it after being annoyed one too many times for having to remove bristles off my face after using it. I was not able to find a decent (and somewhat affordable) powder brush so I decided to get my hands on this once again. The brush may appear narrow when it is new but then it "fluffs" out a bit. I appreciate the versatility of being able to use it for applying powder blush and dusting setting powder. I do wish that it were a little bit softer too.

Update: in my experience with two of these brushes, they never stop shedding. I'm downgrading it to 3 lippies and I'm getting rid of it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2012 12:47:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I bought the short handle version of this brush, which makes it a very versatile powder/bronzer/blush brush for travel. Great quality. But not a must have.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/25/2012 9:54:00 PM More reviews by Dlrainer

Great for blush, bronzer and setting powder. Great brush!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2012 1:43:00 PM More reviews by jinglingjambo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This was one of those products that I got home and couldn't figure out why I'd bought it. I'd gone to MAC and bought a few products and got a bit carried away. I'd wanted an all-over face powder brush and came home with the MAC 129. Although I wouldn't use it all over my face, I'm still glad I bought it. It doesn't shed, holds powder well and applies blusher nicely.
I would not buy this product again as I don't really see this one breaking.

If you have the kind of money to spend on MAC brushes, then this is a good brush but if this brush did break, then I'd try to find a cheaper dupe for it.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2012 7:23:00 AM More reviews by lollisim

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

UPDATE 19/9:
Somehow my 129 feels a tad bit softer after washing it several times with Baby shampoo (I used red Johnson & Johnson shampoo).
I'm still using it as a blending brush, just cause it's not stiff.

Why I like this:
- This brush is great in picking up and placing products on your face, but it's just too big for contouring.
I just love round blush brush in general, cause I can just dab it on the tip and blend out.

Why I don't like this brush:
- it's SCRATCHY.
Everytime I use 129 to apply pressed blush, my cheek went very, very itchy, even few minutes after I can still feel the itchiness.
I should mention my cheek is dry.
- It sheds. Not much but I notice few shedding.

All in all, I will still use this on emergency. I think it does what it's meant to do well, which is for blush and powder. Only that my skin can't stand its scratchiness.
I wouldn't recommend this for dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/5/2012 3:01:00 AM More reviews by monielovesmac

I love this brush for my blush or a little bit of bronzing with my mac blunt even on my nw43 skin it works well with blunt to contour as well, i just love it as a good all around brush i can apply regular podwer after foundation or whatever i dont just always have to use it for blush ^.^

rated 2 of 5 on 7/18/2012 2:37:00 AM More reviews by eeemmm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Like many other users have mentioned, this brush is harsher than other brushes out there. The bristled taper from short to long and you can really feel the bristles against your face. I purchased this hoping that I'd be getting a long-lasting brush that didn't shed or irritate my skin. Boy, I was wrong! The 129 was good for a couple uses, then began shedding hairs all over my face. I am very gentle when washing my brushes; I clean them with a mild soap and squeeze gently, then air dry. It seems that washing and regular use only cause this brush to get worse. The softness of the brush eventually wore out and it really does irritate my sensitive skin, far too much for daily use. I'm now using ELF's Powder Brush. It's SO soft and wonderful and only 3 dollars!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2012 1:37:00 PM More reviews by connieconnie

this brush is way too scratchy.........Sometimes I thougth I could use this brush without a blush....my cheek will turn red!
if you have sensitive skin.. I won't recommand this....
This is a pricy brush but not worth the money....