November 23, 2014 | 966 users online

Eye Shadow - NYX - Single Eye Shadow - Dune

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/14/2009 11:40:00 AM More reviews by AmyDbaby

I had tried a couple of NYX trios a couple of years ago and they ended up in the trash. I thought they were horrible. I decided to try the brand again and recently picked up a blush and this single. Wow! I am in love! The color is perfect. I'm another who loves taupe but iconic MAC Satin Taupe was a complete plummy brown disaster for me. Now Dune is a taupe a girl can love. Great pigmentation, lasts without creasing, just lovely. Edit: Just wanted to come back and profess more love for this product. I'm not sure it's really taupe at this point. At least not taupe in the way most people think of taupe. On me it definitely has a green cast to it. Green/grey I guess. Neutral without even a hint of boring or ho-hum brown. Whatever it is it is just gorgeous and about as perfect as I can hope for. It really makes my brown eyes pop. It's color without being crazy. It's just different somehow but in a very good way. Reminds me of MAC Greensmoke in a way and that's a very good thing in my book.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2009 6:44:00 PM More reviews by Iammelody

I can't find anything that is more taupe than this. Theres no leaning twards brown, purple, green or grey(well maybe a bit towards grey). Its got an equal amount of everything and it goes with anything! I love the texture. Almost Stila-ish.
Its well pigmented but I like to pack it on a bit more.
This is a great staple to have and the price is just the icing on the cake.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2009 6:41:00 PM More reviews by RainbowsUnicornsAndHGfdn

Click "continued" for photos.

Have you ever longed for something perfect? Something only of your imagination, because nothing real has come close to being half as good. That's how I felt about my ideal taupe eyeshadow. MAC Satin Taupe didn't cut it, too brown and plummy, which turned a bruisey, rusty shade of warm mess after a couple hours. I'm very cool toned, so I figured my ideal taupe must contain the perfect amount of grey next to brown. And then Dune came into my life. You know how imagination is kind of like dreams, blurry and detail-lacking? Seeing Dune with my eyes filled in all those details, some were better than what I imagined, others were simply outside my realm of imagination. It's like, you can't imagine how much you're gonna love your baby until you get pregnant and give birth. You couldn't imagine how delicious your favourite food would be until you took that first bite. And so Dune redefined my concept of perfection.

Dang! Sorry for the wordy, nutso babble but o I love Dune so.

The colour is a cool taupe with a tad more grey than brown, topped with just the right amount of sheen which adds subtle glamour without being juvenilely flashy. In the 10 hours I'm out: no creasing (though I do like to use a nude powder shadow underneath as base. I expect a cream primer such as Urban Decay Primer Potion or Too Faced Shadow Insurance to work even better), no smudging, no fading, no oxidizing (turning dark or a different color tone). It is a little powdery, when you swipe your brush across, little flakes and occasionally a huge chunk can break off but I just keep them (flakes&chunks) in the pan and use them next time. This is about my No.1 possession I'm stingiest with.

In conclusion, it's high quality for the low cost and it's the most perfect blend of grey, brown, and silvery sheen.

The following photos show comparison between my beloved Dune and the other 2 popular taupes by NYX: Root Beer (more brown and darker in pigmentation), and Beanie (more silver and plum).

Extra: the following are photos of the rest of my neutral NYX stash, hope they can inspire some lemmings!

continued >>

34 out of 34 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/3/2009 4:45:00 PM More reviews by criz46

I love the color, the shadow is a bit powdery but its cheap. Won't buy again though. Its a metallic silver/taupe

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2009 3:33:00 PM More reviews by crownoflaurel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is possibly my favorite NYX color, it was exactly what I was looking for: a medium silvery taupe. It has the smooth buttery texture and quite a bit of shimmer. It's a very subtle interplay of neutral colors by which I am utterly fascinated.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2008 12:15:00 PM More reviews by keahi

Dune was a very happy suprise for me--from NYX's swatch I thought I would be getting a light sandy taupe shade, but in person it is a much deeper silvery gray with hints of taupe. It's about 2 notches darker than Bobbi Brown's shimmerwash shadow in "Stone" (which Dune pairs wonderfully with by the way). This is a really beautiful eyeshadow and an amazing value for $5.00. Texture and pigmentation are HE quality. I will definitely repurchase this shade.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2008 1:18:00 PM More reviews by fatbottmdgrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Unlike the on other review, I found this to be a beautiful silvery grey taupe on me. I am PPP with coloured red hair. This is a very pretty neutral with "pop" to it. I can see doing a subtile smokey eye with this one, but it also works for every day blended well. Mine was dirt cheap because I got it @ the Cherry Culture sales for $2.80. For the money you can not possibly beat it. These are well pigmented, silky shadows. The packaging is not the greatest, but hey, you can't have it all!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2007 10:50:00 PM More reviews by mljohnson123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

DDD NW45 of HIP818.....Dune is a medium charcoal-brown shimmer. Reminds me of concrete or asphalt. Anyway, show up as a muted medium charcoal on me. I just love NYX singles. Packed with pigment. Applies/blends like a dream. Stays put. No creasing. Only Cost $5 at ValueCity.