November 27, 2014 | 1583 users online

Sunscreen - Banana Boat - Sun Wear Daily Sunblock Lotion SPF 50

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2007 11:27:00 PM More reviews by greatpph

Price is right, texture is right (goes on oily, but dries matte), everything is right, except the smell. It's good as a body sunscreen, but can't stand it as a face. Will use it for body and neck area.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2007 10:19:00 PM More reviews by deliazamir

smooth as butter to apply and disappears to a matte finish on the skin. for an spf50 sunscreen and the amount you get, this stuff is pretty cheap! one thing i dislike about this sunscreen is the scent - a nice coconut-floral that unfortunately dries down to this musklike stink. but since the scent it mild at best i'm ok with it.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2007 2:04:00 AM More reviews by justchar

Great sunscreen. Not greasy, photostable and cheaper than the European sunscreens. I just have a problem finding it in stores :(

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2007 2:39:00 PM More reviews by ourshire

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i loved this sunscreen--it smelled nice, was smooth and not too oily, and was really inexpensive. however, i broke out. i tried again only to break out again. back to neutrogena ultra sheer dry-touch.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2007 12:12:00 PM More reviews by Kandinsky

This is a great sunscreen for my combo skin: it has a pretty high PPD for a U.S. sunscreen (around 15), is available at the d/s, costs $9 and makes a great base for makeup. In addition, I find that this is less pore-clogging than the Neutrogena Dry Touch SPF 55 with Helioplex; the trade-off however is that the Neutrogena has a higher PPD (I think around 19) and is more matte. However, I prefer the Banana Boat Sun Wear because it is more moisturzing, has a very nice consistency, and still dries fairly matte. I also use the recommended 1/4 tsp for my face, and haven't had any clogged pores. Yes, it stings upon application but I can handle it. Also, a note: the "Avotriplex" (similar to Neutrogena's "Helioplex") refers to a a combination of photostable UVA-absorbing ingredients, which prevents this sunscreen from breaking down in the sun. Check out this notepad for more info about PPD and photostability: http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/sunscreenFAQ

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2007 3:30:00 PM More reviews by freshface

I think I found a great drugstore alternative to the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Spf 50/70. Like the Ultra sheer, it goes on lightly and sheerly, and it dries to a matte texture that fools you into thinking you might have missed a spot. Unlike the Ultra Sheer, it does not leave a white cast nor does it sting as badly, and it doesn't ball up like the Ultra sheer does when I apply concealer over it. I did like the Ultrasheer's clean, fresh scent better, but I could deal with the coconut suntan smell of the BB Sunwear.

Plus, you get more product for your money at 6oz for 10.99 as opposed to Neutrogena's Ultra sheer for 3oz at 10.99? You can often find this stuff on sale.

I haven't tried the faces version, which is a smaller tube and only spf 30, but I should. It does go on slightly greasy on the face, but it dries quickly. I don't know if its completely non-comodegnic(sp?), but I like it enough to keep using it. I'm not a beach worshipper, but I am out a lot, and I'm confident that this protects me from burning without having to reapply.

I've stopped using my Neutrogena Ultra Sheer SPF 70 and switched to this one for now!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2007 10:50:00 PM More reviews by misspris26

Sorry to be a spoil sport on a ss that most love. This offers great protection with a high ppd and it's VERY water proof BUT it stings like fire. My face actually felt very hot and burning for at least 5 minutes. I use a mild drugstore retinol so I assumed this was why. Today I applied this to my 2 daughters' faces and one of their friends. They all ran for the sink and washed it off saying their faces stung really bad. What a shame!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/15/2007 2:58:00 PM More reviews by sonaliagrawal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I tried this s/s as one of the many in my search for a high SPF / PPD s/s that is readily available in US drugstores, and thts not expensive to use daily. Since I an NC40 MMM/GGG, it was very important to me that the s/s should not leave a white cast. I do like to use a light tinted moisturizer (MUFE Face and Body) before applying my makeup, so another important factor for me was that liquid foundation should be easily glidable on top of the s/s.

When I first tried Banana Boat Sunwear 50, I was quite surprised at its texture and consistency, it feels just a little thicker than my Olay Complete moisturizer, but not nearly as thick as any of the s/s out there. Layered the 1/4 tsp on my face, and 1/4 on my neck, and it did take some time to absorb in, and left me with a shine (not dewy, but shine). I was excited about this s/s but not about the shine. I have since then learnt to work around it by dabbing some loose powder to take the shine away, and that works beautifully well.

I work out right after work, so I still have my ss and makeup on when I am sweating in the gym. But this ss doesnt streak at all. Does a beautiful job of holding up.

I can say that this is my HG s/s. Love it. The protection I need, with none of the greasiness/white cast/ big dollars.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/5/2007 5:19:00 PM More reviews by monili

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

This burned a little when I first applied it, but other than that it seemed fine. The next evening I started itching and swelling beneath my eyes. This definitely gave me an allergic reaction. I'll either give it away or try using it on my body.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/5/2007 3:51:00 PM More reviews by gracesantacruz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

[BB SunWear SPF50] 6oz about$11 AvoTriplex™
Pros: Good UVA/UVB protection, no-drying, economical, easy availability (most d/s carry this)
Cons: Heavier stickier skin-feel, t-zone gets a bit, greasy, felt a bit tingle (may be a slight irritation?) and when it gets in eye, it STINGS!! Hard to put on mmu over it as it is sticky even after 10 minutes.
My personal verdict: Definitely economical best ss for body. For face, the heavier skin feel and possibility of irritation is a bit of turn-off, still very good ss for price.