September 30, 2014 | 1849 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - the microdelivery exfoliating wash

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 3:28:00 PM More reviews by Loved10

This stuff works. After 1 wash I noticed a difference in my skin texture. This wash is a great exfoliator. Using it only once or twice a week is enough because it can be irritating. That being said so far I havn't had any irritation with limited use. It works so well it is tempting to use it everyday on every body part! The cost is a bit much, but I am pleased with the results so who cares...right? Shake before use to evenly distribute the microcleansing particals and you should be good to go. One thing is that it does kinda smell bad, like chemically. A little does go a ling way also.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/7/2014 7:42:00 PM More reviews by tori497

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

An alright scrub on it's own made better when used WITH Purity Made Simple. Last year around my birthday, I was looking to amp up my skincare routine. I bought a Philosophy kit with this, Purity, Hope in a Jar, Hope in a Tube (eyes) and a mini micro peel and activator. Out of the kit, this and the Purity are the only items I did NOT give away.

I tried this exfoliating wash on its own a handful of times. It was okay. The texture was a little rough and didn't leave my skin any smoother then using a regular cleanser. I used the Purity by itself a few times too. I was not blown away by it either. Then one morning I decided to try mixing the two together. Seriously SO much better than just the microdelivery alone. I used equal amounts of each and applied to wet but not dripping skin. By itself the exfoliating wash left my skin tight and not any smoother than without. Alone, the Purity did a fine job of removing makeup but didn't do much beyond that. I really do think the Purity adds enough "cushion" to the exfoliating wash to help it work better. It does not feel too rough or not rough enough; mixing the two created a combination that is far superior to each on their own.

I don't use this everyday but a handful of times during the week and find it works well in the shower to add some grit to my body wash. It's for sure pricier than any other cleanser I've used, so I would only repurchase it if on sale. The other negative is the bottle, specifically the bottle top. It clogs like crazy, even after a handful of uses. It's a pain digging gunk out of the top every other week to get any product out. I am glad I figured out a way to use both products in a way that exceeds each separately. Otherwise the entire kit would have been a bust (though I'm sure my mom would have appreciated being gifted it as well).

rated 1 of 5 on 1/3/2014 11:35:00 PM More reviews by MaigeAda

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received a Philosophy gift set for Christmas and so far am disappointed in the products, the microdeliverly exfoliating wash included.

A lot of reviewers have said the was is gentle enough for everyday use. I have moderately sensitive skin and so far have only been able to use this stuff twice since Dec. 25. After washing, my face gets dry and a little tight, and stays red until the next day. My skin has a lumpy-like texture so isn't as smooth as I had expected. I also have a lot of post-acne red marks that this exfoliator highlights after using. My marks are more pronounced, red, and have a swollen appearance. My skin usually takes a day or so to go back to normal.

I gave the wash a 3 because although it does seem to irritate my skin a bit, I want to give it the benefit of the doubt in that it could be my skin is just a little too sensitive or not oily enough for it. I do notice my pores aren't as noticeable afterwards and even though my skin isn't as smooth as I had hoped, it does feel softer if that makes any sense! I do really like the packaging and texture of the cleanser. The tiny sand-like grains disintegrate and turn into a gentler foam while washing - this is something I've been trying to find in an exfoliator forever!

Ultimately, it feels like Microdelivery aggravates my face more than it helps. I'm going to give it a few more tries but will probably keep it to a few times a month and I definitely do not recommend for everyday use if your skin is on the sensitive side. I'm going to stick with my Aveeno brightening scrub which I love and recommend for everyday use!

*Update - I used this product for the 3rd time last night, and this AM my skin (mostly cheeks) is bright red, throbbing, and feels numb to the touch. I think I might have some chemical burns. Definitely won't be using this product again!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

Too harsh for my normally non-reactive, combination skin. My skin just couldn't tolerate it. My friend has 'normal' skin and she was happy to take it off my hands. I'll happily use glycolic acid, retinol, vitamin c etc. but this exfoliator brought me out in lumps (not spots, lumps)! Try a sample first - I know it works for some people and the large bottle makes it good value for those who can tolerate it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2013 12:54:00 AM More reviews by Tramrak

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

i am so impressed with this cleanser. atleast 95% of my cleansers are from the drugstore because i'd rather spend my money on something that stays on my skin and doesn't get washed down the drain immediately. i also have to say that i have never liked Philosophy and had no interest in their brand, probably because everything i've ever tried from them was awful. after one night's use of Hope In A Jar (AKA Nightmare In A Jar), i woke up mentally screaming "no no no no no!" i had horrifying giant hives all over my fire-engine red face that took weeks to go away (and red marks that took MONTHS to fade). it's not that HIAJ burned me, but it really irritated and thrashed my skin, and the product was also very oily with so much pooled oil in the center of the jar that i had to use a toothpick and try to stir it in! i've never before in my life reacted so harshly to any product that it caused severe hives to bloom on my facial skin overnight! the second Philosophy product i used was Purity Made Simple because my mom bought me one, and although it was ok, it was nothing special-- until it started giving my mom small dry patches on her eyelids. it didn't irritate my skin, but i wasn't super impressed... although i would probably try it again. regardless of these ambivalent experiences, i have always wanted to try Microdelivery and so i got a sample at Sephora the other day while shopping. i have to say i was incredibly impressed when i used it that night to wash my face. it is lovely! its a regular, very low-foaming gel with particles in it that feel about half the size of a grain of sand. i just wet my face, worked the Microdelivery onto it and scrubbed gently in circles for about a minute. when i rinsed my face off, i could not believe how soft my skin was. i'm talking about baby skin! and this whole thing is very puzzling to me because i've always been a super exfoliator since the age of 13; first it was The Body Shop scrubby gloves or washcloths, then it was the Clarisonic Mia, and recently it's been a Salux towel which i *do* use very gently on my face. that is why i'm so stumped as to how this cleanser made my skin so abnormally soft. after using the Microdelivery, my Marula Oil sunk into my skin like something i've never felt before. plus, my skin is dry at this time of the year and the Microdelivery didn't irritate it at all or make it feel sore or over-scrubbed. i don't even think you could overscrub with this product unless you used a sander with it! i already ordered a 16 oz. size from QVC and can't wait for it to get here. finally i found something i like from Philosophy!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/22/2013 2:42:00 PM More reviews by 1Sunshine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product is terrible. I finally got my acne-prone, very sensitive skin somewhat under control and used this product after so many great reviews. It broke my face out terribly! Pimples everywhere (regular ones, whereas at my age as getting near-40, I am normally only getting dreadful cystic acne) after using it for only 4 days, morning & night each day. Do not use this if you have sensitive, acne-prone skin! I am now going to venture down the path of Boscia and a couple of other options instead.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2013 7:28:00 AM More reviews by Sjess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

HG scrub/exfoliator!! After years of 7 Day Scrub from Clinique and the exfoliator from Yes... To Carrots, which are both fine btw, I have found heaven with this one!! I use this in the shower, maybe twice a week and it makes my skin look and feel so much better. It's a very fine grain, the smell is meh, but it's not necessary to be perfumed so kudos for that. Price-wise it's okay, it's a big bottle which lasts forever. Highly recommended!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2013 11:08:00 PM More reviews by jenniferjones

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this every morning and again usually in the afternoon (I use neutrogena salicylic acne wash in the PM with my clairsonic). I have good results from this, I used to use the neutrogena acne wash with the clairsonic 2 times a day and I wanted to try this wash out for a change. I really love it, it has very tiny particles like sand in it. I make sure to really shake it before each use to distribute all the particles. I massage my face gently for about a minute, rinse, and moisturize and it has improved my skin over my previous routine. I have purchased this twice now and will continue to use it, it makes my skin feel clean but not medicated or overly cleansed.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/14/2013 1:28:00 AM More reviews by ayeshashhn

Worst ever. Irritates my skin. I have sensitive/acne prone skin. My skin never looks worst! And the price..so over rated.I rather add baking soda to my reguler face wash.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2013 3:23:00 PM More reviews by rubygirl05

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Amazing product! I have been a massive fan of MD formulations cleanser but this one has blown my mind. My skin is the best it's been. I do recommend other Philosophy products too.