April 20, 2014 | 1690 users online

Gels/Soaps - Dove - Unscented Beauty Bar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2012 6:43:00 PM More reviews by Spurklie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I decided to give this a go as my skin has been breaking out from stress and the cold weather. I wanted a simple, unscented cleanser for quick face washes in the morning that wouldn't strip my skin of moisture. I'd previously been using Coal Face from Lush but it was getting expensive and it was overly drying.

This is working really well. It just gently cleans, my skin doesn't feel tight and the breakouts seem to be subsiding! I also use it after face masks and makeup removers to just gently remove the last traces without overly stripping the skin. In the UK this is called Dove Extra Sensitive but I think it's just the unscented version of the normal cream bar.

It cost me just over one pound for 2 bars, and I think I'll stick with this for a while and not try anything fancy. Sometimes simple is best.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/25/2011 11:19:00 PM More reviews by AuNatural716

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product does not get as creamy as the original beauty bar [over time] and it is better for sensitive skin since it doesn't have the obvious fragrance. Tried using this for my face a couple times and it seemed overall soothing, but I chickened out because of the idea of clogging pores. Dove makes such great basic bar soaps out there for daily washing without stripping moisture.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/18/2011 2:29:00 PM More reviews by ElleDuncan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

EDIT May 1st 2012:
After fiddling around with (pricey) Clarins "gentle" foaming cleanser and finding it aging my skin within days, then back to LRP Toleriane and finding it just too drying...I am BACK ON THE DOVE BAR. I think I promise never to leave you again, Dove. You are the loyalist low-maintenance, inexpensive girl's best friend ever.

5 because it's the best.
2 on price because it disappears fast so isn't actually super cheap.
and 3 on packaging for the same reason, not so easy to travel with unless you cut a chunk off and put saran wrap on it. (Which I do; I have it in my yoga bag, in my car, in my travel kit, at the sink, in the shower, you name it.)

That said, back to the 5:
this soap has soothed my skin and my mood more times than I can count.
I recently went back to it after a VIchy nightmare that left me broken out everywhere, even under my eyes and my neck. Add to that the retinol I convinced myself to try (dumb ass that I am) and I was not pretty. WIthin two weeks of doing two things (see the review for the Clarins Hydraquench Cooling cream-gel moisturizer) one of which was a light lather at night with dove sensitive bar, and my skin is positively 180 degrees turned around.

Keep It Simple Stupid. I ought to remember that. I look better, I feel better, and I can relax when I read and see the latest photo-shopped advertisement for a pricey fancy cleanser that has nothing on my dove bar!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/30/2011 11:58:00 AM More reviews by italiana800

They say that the simplest things in life, are the best things. This soap has been around for years and it's simply just plain soap. & it is still the best out there. This soap leaves no residue, greasiness, or dryness. It leaves you feeling clean and soft. Great for sensitive skin and for use all over your face and body. Dove is the best of the best. Would never trust anything else:)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2011 12:11:00 PM More reviews by Muskokalady9

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Sometimes simple is truly the way to go and Dove has been making amazing products like their unscented soap for years. Since I wear perfume on a regular basis, why would I want to use a product that adds more scent to me? It cleans off completely so you aren't left feeling greasy like some soaps leave you feeling and the price for a large bar that goes a long way makes it the perfect soap to use on a regular basis.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2011 10:36:00 AM More reviews by amaiaisabella

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have to say it's a pain in the butt to use a bar soap, but I'm innately lazy so that's my only gripe with this product. I have super sensitive combo skin with dry cheeks but oily forehead, nose, and chin. Dove is one of two cleansers that doesn't break me out, dry me out further, or aggravate the redness on my cheeks. I've had other cleansers that are more soothing, but they eventually cause breakouts or don't clean as well. The Dove bar is super cheap, super foaming, and super gentle. The one upside of the bar form is that it's easy to travel with. I try other products a lot because I'm curious, but I always find my way back to Dove. I really hope they don't reformulate it sometime down the line, as is my luck.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2011 11:12:00 PM More reviews by namissaas224

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I use this on my body and occasionally on my face. After helping my friend move I found that I had a ton of sweat bumps on the back of my thighs after being in the Alabama heat all day long and sweating from it.My body never ever breaks out so this was new to me. I used this and within a couple of days it was completely cleared up! I love that this is unscented so I don't have to worry about it messing up the scent of my lotion or perfume. This is the only bar soap that hasn't left my skin dry and itchy. Plus now that its starting to get cooler outside thats definitely a plus. My great grandma used this and ivory soap on her face her entire life and even at 80 she had gorgeous soft skin so if its good for her its good for me :) This works well on my face too. It gets off all my makeup off and it doesn't dry out my skin or break it out. This is the only soap ill ever use :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2011 12:28:00 PM More reviews by claragonz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is the only soap my 2 year old daughter uses. Before then, we were using Johnsons products, but for some reason, her skin was never smooth. The pediatrician recommended the Unscented Dove and told us that this is the gentlest for the skin. Scented soaps may cause irritation for some. Ever since my daughter's been using this, her skin improved... no more redness. So, I've been using it on my face and body since as well. I figured if it's good for babies, then it must be good for us adults too. I've been using this for months now, and it has made my skin more smoother. We always have Unscented Dove stocked up in our house. No complaints here!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/31/2011 12:18:00 PM More reviews by ineffable

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this, but it has aided in destroying the only clear areas on my face, my cheeks. My left one is completely covered in deep bumps along with the left over scarring and the right one is starting to do the same! (Along with my chin, but that's probably hormonal.) I loved how soft it left my skin, but the breakout was horrible. Not big on bar cleansers either way, it's very unsanitary. Oh well! Onto the next cleanser.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2010 12:47:00 PM More reviews by jarona

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Dove makes some great products. The Shampoo and Conditioners by Dove are excellent--as are the moisterizing creams. However, if you have dry sensitive skin, the soaps--aka "beauty bars" leave much to be desired. Lets go back many years ago. The only two soaps for bathing that my mother only used in the house were Ivory and Dove White. When we were kids these two soaps were all she used. Actually the kids and my dad ended up with Ivory and my mom used the Dove. She would rave how the doctor told her the only soap to use on your face was Dove..blah. blah. blah.
When I was younger and actually DID start using Dove White on my body and face, it dried me out. I remember my face feeling incredibly dry and taut. I ended up using facial cleansers rather than soap.

Recently, while cleaning out the cabinets in the bathroom, I came across an unused Dove White "Beauty Bar"--so naturally the flashbacks of yore returned and I figured I would give old Dove another try. Years later and my face felt tighter than ever--now at MY age you would think that would be a good thing--LOL--but it wasn't. The face felt dry as ever. I just do not see what the hype about these Dove "Beauty Bars" is. These days I use Albelone to cleanse my face--I cannot remember the last time I used soap on my face and trying out the Dove again made me realize just WHY I will never use soap on my face.

I guess it comes down to personal preference--but with dry, aging, sensitive skin, I cannot understand why women would use this on their faces.