November 28, 2014 | 1946 users online

Self Tanners - Banana Boat - Summer Color Self-Tanning Mist

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2012 9:55:00 PM More reviews by swtxos

This product develops much faster than any other gradual self tanning lotion or mousse I own. I use to think my St. Moriz tanning mousse and Nivea Summer Touch lotion are the best at giving the most colour with the least amount of application, but I have to say that the Banana Boat Tanning Mist has them beat. The colour it gives, although dark, I feel is slightly orange. My skin is light-medium so it shows up slightly orange in white light but I'm sure if someone with fair skin tried this on it would look unnaturally orange on them. I don't necessarily love the colour, but in a pinch if I need to get dark fast in order to wear shorts/skirt then I'd reach for this. I didn't have an issue with streaking because I made sure to exfoliate beforehand and applying lotion on the areas prone to streaking (i.e. ankles, elbows, knees and wrists), but I did learn that with the mist dispenser, you have to make sure you cover all angles of your body or else you will miss a spot and end up looking uneven. I have learned that I need to hold the nozzle about a feet away from my body and spray in circular motions all the way down my front, my back, AND my sides. It's quite difficult to keep track of how much product you've applied because its not tinted--i wish it was! Drying time was average, I find this mist didn't dry any faster than my lotions so if you worry about damaging your clothes I would suggest you wear something dark to bed. I only apply self tanner on in the evening so the product develops overnight and I can wash away the stinky self tanner smell in the morning. This leads me to address the STINK. BOY does this product stink. The fresh citrus-y fragrance only lasts 5 minutes before it is replaced by a fried noodle/biscuit-y smell. This is, hands down, the stinkiest self-tanner I have ever used, even more so than Jergens Natural Glow. To sum things up, this product has its pros: dark colour fast, quick spray on applicaiton and inexpensive, and its cons: orange colour, uneven finish if you don't spray every angle of yourself, spray nozzle can sometimes be difficult to hold down, a little bit of orangeness and majorly stinky. It sounds like the cons outweigh the pros, but I would still repurchase because this product is perfect for the lazy girls who hate to wait 5 days to achieve the colour they set out for.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2012 10:43:00 PM More reviews by GMJAG

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I officially LOVE Banana Boat. I will never return to any other self-tanning brand if I don't have to. This spray tan formula first of all smells GREAT. It has a sweet citrusy smell that fades in about 5 mintues. No joke. It gives a good natural color. It's pretty economical at about 7$ a can (better than 12$ Neutrogena!). My only slight issue with it is that it can cause a minimal amount of streaking if it isn't rubbed in well after you spray. So be careful there. But for all of its pros it is FOR SURE worth buying! I only use this on my body. I went and bought the Banana Boat Summer Color lotion and use it on my face and LOVEEEEE it. It doesn't have a weird smell and also causes no breakouts or fake orangey looking results.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2012 1:49:00 PM More reviews by aperfectsonnet

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I had great success with all the Jergen's products, but I didn't have time for something gradual, so I picked up this product. The only tanner that looked so bad I cried. Streaky, patchy, and terribly orange. To top it off, I rubbed my skin raw trying to get it off or fade it. Stay far away, and just spend the extra $3 and get the L'oreal Sublime. I have since replaced this product with L'oreal and no longer want to cry every time I look in the mirror.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/18/2012 8:11:00 PM More reviews by cady19

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My ratings were: Overall = 3; Price=1; Packaging=4, Would I Buy Again? No
This tan isn't great but it's not terrible either - it's very average. It's fairly easy to apply - the can sprays from any angle and the stream stays even, no sputtering or squirting. The tan applied reasonably well but it was difficult to gauge where I had already applied the tan and it ended up going on somewhat unevenly as I over-applied it to some areas; it would be better to have some sort of colored spray so you can see where you'd already sprayed, although with practice I think most people could get it to go on evenly. However there was no streaking and it did not cling to any dry patches or make my knees and toes darker than the rest, though bear in mind that I exfoliated twice before applying the tan which probably helped.

My main issues with this tan were the color it ultimately left and the number of applications it took to see a reasonable color change. I am very fair (as in the lightest shade in most foundations is always a couple shades too dark for my face, and my legs are even lighter) and my legs are basically so fair they're transparent. I am also very cool toned with quite significant pink undertones. I was looking for a tan that would give me a bit of color on my legs to get them to match the rest of me without going orange. This product did not give me any color at the first application, but after four applications it left me with slightly darker legs - they now are close to or a little bit darker than my arms. Because it took someone as pale as me so many applications to see reasonable results I doubt that this would work well for people looking for a tanner that works in one night (although you could apply several coats over the course of a day) and on darker skin it might not show up at all. However, I could have lived with the multiple applications however if the color it gave me looked better. The reason I won't buy again is that it gave my legs a somewhat yellow tone so now they look a little jaundiced. It is close to a natural look, but it pulls a bit too yellow to be convincing. But this might not be an issue for everyone - as I said, my skin is cool toned with pink undertones - there is absolutely no yellow or really any neutral/beige tones in my skin at all - just pink. I can see the color looking very natural for people who aren't quite as cool toned me.

I will not repurchase this as I think I can find something that works better for me - I plan on trying the banana boat lotion in light/medium next. However I gave it an overall score of 3 because it is one of the cheapest tans available and can be found in most drugstores so it might be worth a try as I can see it working quite well for many people, especially those who aren't as pink toned as me and are willing to apply more than once to get their desired color.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/22/2012 12:23:00 AM More reviews by Missejayzee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the first spray tan product I've used after giving up tanning beds! I don't have much experience with them at all so I was a little nervous to try it out. Make sure you're in a well ventillated area while applying it or you WILL choke on the fumes...not fun. I'm definietly impressed with this product though! Gives you a very healthy glow and can build into a deep looking tan if you use it everyday. I usually apply Jergens Natural Glow after it's dry which I find helps to darken the color. Not orange looking at all! The smell is citrus-y...not really a fan of that but it could be worse. It does get a little patchy when it starts to fade so make sure to exfoliate. I'm sure there are better spray products out there but for the price and quality I'll definietly be buying this again. $8 at Target!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/14/2012 11:06:00 AM More reviews by Beatlemaniac6070

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I've only tried 2 self tanners my whole life. This was the better one as the last one (forgot the name of it) turned me orange and I missed numerous spots(that's my fault though)..... I got this for Christmas and I finally worked up the nerve to do it last night; I have to say application is easy, but nerve wracking when you don't know what the finished product is going to turn out like. But you do get a nice tan after a couple of hours. But I fell asleep when this was drying on my arms, and I just happened to drool on my arm. Now I have a big white mark running down my arm. LOL... anyway. I woke up and the rest of my arm looked really nice as I had an amazing tan. I noticed it in the dark even. I was dark!
But when I go outside, I look like a sunny fish. Part of my arm is so white, and other part of my arm is sooooo tan. It makes me laugh :) I put too much on myself. I used it on my legs and very nice color, I didn't exfoliate on my knees though so those look real dark. Spraying this on my legs made them look way more flattering than my pale, veiny legs, anyway. lol, I definitely suggest this to anyone; it's the best! I just recommend practicing first, or getting someone with experience to spray it on you. Enough rambling... I love this product; I can't wait to use it in the summer! My mom bought it for me, so I don't know the price. I'm definitely getting more when I run out!

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2011 6:55:00 PM More reviews by killerbees62

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this stuff! My mom gave this to me as a gift so I have no idea how much it is.

PRO'S:
1.) Veeerry realistic tan colour, not orange at all.
2.) Fresh citrus scent! of course its not a perfume by any means but it is the best smelling self tanner I have ever come across.
3.) Fast dry time! It stays a bit sticky for the first minute but then it dries rather quickly.

CON'S
1.) Application is a bit difficult at first, however you just need to spray it evenly and consistently and you will not have any problems. Practice makes perfect! You might want someone you help you spray it on your back because that part can be kind of awkward.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/24/2011 10:51:00 PM More reviews by BellaBoo86

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I'm a little torn on this product... The ease of application is fantastic (although messy... just use it in the shower so cleaning up is easier!) The color is seriously beautiful and believable, the closest to my sun given coloring a sunless tanner has ever been. I had the equivalent of a base tan after 2 generous coats. The drawbacks are that I'd like a color guide. Definitely user error, but I do miss small (and not so small) patches without one. And despite what other reviewers have said, I find the smell pretty offensive. It's strong, chemical-y and just plain yucky IMHO. Thankfully, it doesn't linger. Smells always seems pretty subjective, so it might be tolerable for others. I'd really like to try St. Tropez mousse next, but given the price , ease of use and beautiful color pay off, I do see myself buying this spray again. I bought it at Ulta for about $9 or so, I'd say it's worth a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2011 5:03:00 AM More reviews by kaceywacey

I've used this several summers in a row and have been pretty satisfied with my results. I've never used any other self tanners before but I really like this one because it sprays on clear rather than being like a can of spray paint, meaning that it won't rub off on your clothes and anything your body comes in contact with. My one issue with this is that it stays sticky. I always try to apply this on a day I know I won't be sitting too much because it leaves my legs feeling sticky. It is possible to over-tan yourself with this stuff. Let the color appear before you spray on your third or fourth coating because you might end up making yourself too dark. My Asian skin tends to naturally tan a nasty, dirty brown but this gave me a nice golden tan. It wasn't even orange-y at all. I'd rather tan with this stuff than get my own natural tan because it looks so much better on me. It also smells pretty good, a little citrus-y but not too fake smelling.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/14/2011 12:04:00 AM More reviews by ryokokoro

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've heard decent things about the banana boat products so I decided to give the spray version a try. Got it at Wal Mart for six and some change, not bad. I got into my bikini and sprayed it all over my body and face at a safe distance and waited. It only took maybe 5 minutes to dry in most places but I waited a full 10 before redressing. It says it develops in a few hours but I didn't really notice the full effect until the next morning when I indeed saw the start of "tan" lines and a decent light/medium glow about my face and other places that were pasty white before. But it was very uneven in areas like the legs and inner thighs. I think this is because with my upper body I held it much farther away and just let the mist waft over my skin and held it at the closer recommended distance for my legs, going down in strokes like it says to do. The smell otherwise is very nice. Nothing offensive or rancid about it, and the color isn't bad. More of a light-medium wash but MUCH less orange-ish than some of the ones I've tried in the past. Another problem I had was that the can tends to sputter here and there, so I have random splotches on my hips and thighs where little spits landed and I didn't notice. Could just be my user error but I'm sure I pressed the nozzle firmly enough. But like I said, did not have this issue on my upper body where I applied it different from instructions.

Would I buy it again? Maybe, maybe not but I'll wait it out and do it my way only, and see how I feel. I'd recommend a lotion or gel though over these sprays unless you're just using it for a quick spritz to touch up stuff like hands, feet, and your face between your regular sunless applications.

update: After further trial holding it further away than the directions state and applying it in wafting circular sprays, this product does end up pretty even. Still have problems with the nozzle sputtering here and there but otherwise, it's a nice alternative for hands and feet if lotions turn out too dark or patchy there (just don't soak them in this and they look even and natural).