August 21, 2014 | 1696 users online

Bath Treatments - Estee Lauder - Youth Dew Bath Oil

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2009 10:59:00 AM More reviews by julieolivia

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I wore Youth Dew regularly about eleven years ago and absolutely loved it. It was the type of smell I would notice wafting around in this warm, rich serene way that made me feel very great. Of course it was controversial, when I got a set at Christmas, the women were all kinds of repulsed but the men, right down to my teenage nephew, were loving it, too. Very feminine, very regal, very soft. Now - very disappointing. Once again - they did something to it. I bought the spray last year and it seemed to lack something, so I bought the trusty oil, which never failed to entrance - and - it lacks something. It is all.....this is heresy....it is all ....top-notey. Its as if the civet, musk, woods, whatever there was grounding the scent is just.....gone. I get an awful lot of the geranium, which I like as an accent,but not as one note, drilling into my brain, smelling vaguely like urine with nothing to contradict. It dries down to that note. NOTHING underneath it. And then, the next day, when my sweater should smell delightful, it smells like Jalaine Patchouli. Just that kind of sweet patchouli, the only patchouli I don't like. I am so disappointed as this was the best winter scent of all time. Maybe I got a bad batch, but the spray has been stripped down, too. I can't recommend it, not in its present form, and definently not to anyone who loves Youth Dew. Love the bottle though. And if it smelled like it should, I would buy it again and again.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/19/2008 7:31:00 PM More reviews by mishamod

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I love this oil! I originally purchased the EDP, but exchanged for the bath oil after finding it too strong to wear regularly. I like to dilute this in a seperate bottle with a fragrance free body oil (like neutrogeno frag. free body oil) for an all over fragranced/moisturizing body oil, so I'm subtly scented all day.
For me, it's my perfect amber scent. Slightly sweet, spicy and full-bodied, not for the fragrance shy. A delicious cold weather comfort scent, classic!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2008 2:53:00 PM More reviews by jamiemp

I'm in love. I haven't smelled the perfume, but this bath oil is so, so amazing. I'm not really a bath person, so I wear this dabbed on my wrists and neck as a fragrance (thanks for the idea, MUAers!). It's incredibly wonderful. I hadn't realized that I'd smelled it before until I put it on. I was instantly taken back to happy days of being at my grandma's house. I was so close to her, and she died when I was 14, but this brought me back. I had to ask my mom if grandma wore this, and she wasn't sure. When I saw her later that day, I made her smell my wrist, and sure enough, this was grandma's scent. God, I love this. It manages to be sexy, mature, strong, willful, and feminine all at once. It's perfection.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/10/2008 10:59:00 AM More reviews by ediva

I have heard so much about the love/hate reviews about Youth Dew so I plunged in and bought the bath oil. I remember hating the spray, it reeked. I figured that if I continue hating the oil after many attempts, I could always give it away.

But, the oil was another story. This product unfolds into many layers of "personalities," it's interesting! When I use it diluted with water (in the bath or shower), it takes on a "ladylike" aura--soft, powdery, with a promise of mystery. When you dab it on full-strength onto the pulse points, the sensuality starts to reveal itself...slowly. Don't go overboard with this one--only on strategic areas (I don't even dab it behind my ear, but rather just a dab on the area between the breasts) where anybody who gets close to you would be able to experience it. It takes a while for it to grow on you. But, you have to give it a chance. This is a complicated scent with many facets. You can't pin it down because it can become so many things for the wearer ("nice and ladylike," "feral and seductive" or "fresh and earthy" etc.). If you want something unusual, try Youth Dew Bath Oil as your fragrance. I did and I'm pretty happy I did.

BTW--unlike a lot of the other posters who've reviewed Youth Dew, I didn't have any older relative who wore this fragrance and so this scent doesn't evoke anything nostalgic for me. It is what it is in my book.

It's worth repeating--give this one chance but don't overdo it with this fragrance!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2008 9:45:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

This is sheer paradise, don't even bother with the perfume, just use the oil. When I wear this I feel like I am wrapped in velvet. I never ever wear this to parties, this is a fragrance I like to keep for intimate tete a tete's, evenings in, and the bedroom. This fragrances is smooth, warm, well rounded, not subtle, but not screaming in your face either. If you love spicy amber based perfumes, dab a little of this on your pulse points and set your partners pulses racing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2007 12:46:00 PM More reviews by CecileCecile

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Okay - I totally get it now. I have had this little bottle of oil for a few weeks now, coming to know it slowly. I was walking to work the other morning at 6am and suddenly I realized I smelled something very reminiscent of my new bath oil. Lo and behold, it was the early morning dew rising off the grass! One of those smells that you only get for a short time during a certain part of the very early morning and only in certain environments, which in my case was in the midst of a wooded residential area edged by a little swampland down the hill. But there it was, and the recognition hit me like a punchline. Even more so, the realization that the name of this fragrance is apt after all!

I knew I had to try this after reading testimonials from those who use only this form of Youth-Dew. I have to agree that it completely lacks the harshness that I am unable to get past in the 'eau' sprays. It is simply the heart of the fragrance itself. I love the little exotic burst of scent when it first touches my skin - that is my favorite part of it, it's like a secret tiny indulgence - and I have grown to love the way it evolves. It reminds me very very much of Opium at times. At the store the SA told me that she puts 2 or 3 drops in a partial bathtub of hot water just before bed and it scents the whole house, then in the morning she adds more hot water to it and has her bath. I have not tried this in a bath yet, only as a fragrance, and I am glad that I dared to try it. Most surprising is that DH likes this very much, the last factor that helped seal the deal for me.

I won't take back what I originally said about the 'eau' sprays, I meant it at the time and I will stand up and take my lumps like a real woman for being so negative. But I must eat crow when it comes to this bath oil version. This stuff is about as far away from bodily gases as you get, stale or otherwise. It's also a great value and I have to add, the bottle is nicer than the ones the sprays come in. Definite repurchase - I don't think there'll be a time when I won't want a bottle of this in my collection.
UPDATE 9/28/07: Can you believe that I actually crave this stuff on a regular basis now?! This oil is pure magic.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2007 8:04:00 PM More reviews by Kelly9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this. I am not a big Youth Dew fan, but in very small doses there is something quite enjoyable about it. The bath oil gives me a chance to enjoy the scent when I'd otherwise find it too cloying. It is a rich, dark brown fluid that almost resembles soy sauce. But once a few drops hit the warm tub, the heavy floral notes evaporate and leave behind a delicious, smoky dark scent, heavy on the vetiver and patchouli. A perfect scent for anticipating fall. It brings to mind getting out your fine leather gloves for the first time this year and taking a walk over the crunchy leaves. Very feminine, very rich, and my husband really liked it. The scent it leaves on my skin after the bath is quite light, very much like a grown up baby lotion. Baby Magic lotion, not the powdery Johnson's. With a womanly edge.

UPDATE: Did I say I wasn't a Youth Dew fan? I guess this was my YD gateway product, because I have bought all of the items in this fragrance. Seems I now can't get enough. But I do not wear them all at once, or else my secret new love will be literally all over town!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2007 1:12:00 PM More reviews by Victoria84

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I actually LOVE the smeel of the product. I usually only see women who are three times my age wearing this stuff, but I like the bath oil because all you need is two drops in a whole tub of water, and you'll be perfectly perfumed, without the overbearing scent that the actual perfume itself causes.