Kanebo KATE Gel Eye Liner

4.2

on 1/20/2013 6:26:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other

I bought three of the Kate gel liners. The solid black (bk-1), the brown with slight shimmers (bk-2) and the gold shimmery one (cl-1). Over the course of 2 weeks, I've been wearing the brown and the black pretty much every single day with no smudging or smearing. (my skin isn't oily though) I have yet to find a reason to wear the gold glitter but it is really pretty, even on its own without the black liner as a base. It lasts all day on my eyes and the wings of my liner stay sharp until I remove my makeup.

Pro:
- Price is amazing (Non hong kong brands are rather expensive here) (69 HKD for 1 liner (9 USD) Brush (3USD..I think))
- Smudge-proof (I find that my mascara smudges before this)
- Super super creamy and smooth.
- Easy for me to find (I live in Hong Kong...Good makeup is hard to get)

Cons:
- None so far

on 12/25/2012 10:38:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is the best brand and type of eyeliner ever! I have always loved to line my eyes. The only problem is, out of all the liners i have ever tried they all give me that racoon, or the punched eye as i call it. I have oily lids and watery eyes and this is the only product that did not make me look like i got punched. Our weather is also humid mind you... Yes, it does flake a little bit, but i dont mind. I would definitely buy this again.

on 12/17/2012 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is a great gel liner. It's absolutely water, sweat and smudge proof. HG

on 5/16/2012 11:35:00 AM

Great formula! I like this much more than Bobbi Brown and Mac. Smoother application, and long lasting.

Will definitely purchase again!!

on 4/1/2012 10:07:00 PM

This is by far the best gel eyeliner I have tried. The only one that doesn't smudge on me and lasts all day. The texture is lighter and smoother than Bobbi Brown, which makes it easier to apply. It does dry fairly quickly so a fast hand in application is required. Love love love!

on 4/1/2012 9:57:00 PM

Highly pigmented, and it does smudge since my outer corners are quite oily. It is comparable to the Bobbi Brown one, but the only down side is that it dries out way too quickly. One third into using the product it was already starting to dry out. I'm almost half way now but I have to scoop away the surface to reach into the bits where it's still creamy and not flaky. What annoys me the most is that I have to clean my brush every single day because it dries out on my brush, when I used the Bobbi Brown one I didn't have to clean it too often!

on 1/27/2012 12:15:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I've been using gel liners for the past 6 to 7 years and this is the best gel liner I've come across. I've tried several different brands (Smashbox, Revlon, Bobbi Brown, Stila) but I always found something wrong with them. Smashbox dries out too quickly. Revlon doesn't stay on all day. Bobbi Brown and Stila smear too easily. Kate is THE holy grail of all gel liners. The only complaint I have is the huge markup in the US. Ebay and YesStyle charges you $14- $18. With shipping it ends up costing more than Smashbox or Bobbi Brown. I remember buying a pot for about $6 in Japan and HK.

on 11/3/2011 7:58:00 PM

I bought this in BK-1 (matte black) on Ebay. First off, the packaging is really nice, it's in a tiny glass jar. I use this with my Sonia Kashuk Bent Eyeliner Brush $6 at Target. Most liquid eyeliners and gel eyeliners start smudging on me after 2-3 hours because I have extremely oily lids. However, the Kate gel eyeliner lasts about 8 hours, which is great! It's the longest I've ever had an eyeliner last on me. The only bad thing I have to say about it, is that it's difficult to wash off at the end of the day. You'll need to use a good makeup remover.

Pro:
-waterproof, smudge proof
-creamy
-doesn't fade
-long lasting

Con:
-hard to wash off
-buy online if you're in the US

Overall, I would repurchase :)

on 10/12/2011 1:05:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I bought the BK-3 color (black with silver sparkles) while I was in Japan in 2009. The eyeliner was creamy, highly pigmented, and applied fairly smoothly. It had good lasting power too. I have oily lids, and the liner smudged only a little after a few hours of wear (good in my experience). By the end of the day, I would still have a dark, clear line, but with more smudging. The color was just what I was looking for as well. Not too glittery, a bit of glam, but subtle enough to wear everyday. I did have some issues with flaking however. It would flake a bit towards the end of the day.

Back when I purchased it, it came with a brush as well. I noticed other reviews praising the quality of the brush. I don't really agree. I thought the brush was only OK, and much prefer an angled eyeliner brush over it. In my experience, after washing the brush several times, the bristles became rougher, and the brush would clump the product on, and cause more fall-out which irritated my eyes. Those looking for a good eyeliner brush should check out Sephora's angled eyeliner brush #23. The shape makes applying so easy!

Also, I have since thrown away the jar since it had started to dry up and cause more clumps/fall-out, but after a year of almost daily use, there was still a good amount of product left, maybe a third? So the jar may seem small, but it lasts forever (or at least until it starts to dry up).

So overall, I would say this is a pretty good gel eyeliner. Sometimes I felt that the consistency could have been smoother. Also, the flaking got annoying. I liked the color and results enough to put up with this though. I have not tried MAC fluidline, but many of my friends use it, and I would say MAC eyeliner has a much deeper, more intense black color. However, this liner was good for its price.

on 9/25/2011 5:03:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have tried a few gel eyeliners to use for my upper lashline and I found this one to be better than both Mac Fluidline and Bobbi Brown gel eyeliners.
The colour is an opaque deep black and has good staying power which the others do not have. It dries quickly but is easy to use. I bought it together with the matching eyeliner brush which is very good.
I use this to create a winged eye look. The only dissapointment is that it transfers to my upper eyelid but not a much as the other gel eyeliners, but I have this problem with all the gel eyeliners I have tried.
Overall I think its a very good quality gel eyeliner for the price that you pay, as it is not too expensive. But I have found that liquid eyeliner is more suitable for my sixties winged eye look.

Top Rated Kanebo Products