July 29, 2014 | 1972 users online

Eye Shadow - Smashbox - Eye Shadow Quad in Modella-Tokidoki LE

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2008 11:28:00 AM More reviews by llbeanpole

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Since I've checked the reviews here before buying off eBay, I don't feel the pinch paying $$$ for a so-so product. Yes, I bought it for the packaging, like most of us! I was prepared for "sheer" powders but this....this isn't even there. And when you get a wash of colour after several layers, they don't last on the eyes, even with UDPP. As I only like the compact, I'm thinking about scraping some of the shadows out and filling them with cream shadows or blush to take along with me.

The colours look pretty enough in the box, the yellow has a greenish irridescence, the light blue and peach some isolated sparks, the brown just matte, sheer and dull. I'm thinking about scraping the peach and brown out, possibly the blue as well. Has anyone tried to save the compact this way?

Update: Eureka! I finally figured out the best way to apply the quad - WET! The shades take on a more interesting dimension, the Vanilla Yellow turns out to be a irridiscent Aqua highlighter when applied wet, the effect is like Aqua interference. The other colours are no longer as chalky and appear true to their shades in the compact. The Blue and Peach are stronger, more vivid, and the Matte Brown is even dark enough for contouring and lining for a Smokey Eye Look with the Aqua Irridescent providing a fascinating glint-highlight on the lid. The moisture combines well with the powder to give a creamy consistency and they last much longer. The wetter it is, the better they go on, no kidding! I'm going to apply them with Smashbox Off Set the next time, probably nick a bit off to mix as I read the Off Set might harden the powder. Of the two quads, I prefer Modella as the colour combination is more unusual and the Matte Brown is wonderful paired with the Yellow-Green Irridiscent shade when applied wet, but Celebrita is still very pretty as a Pink/Purple/Pewter combination. I played around with a different eyeliner to perk it up more, an Irridiscent Dark Teal liner that I mixed myself and the effect is stunning. Very pleased with this purchase after all!!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2008 11:08:00 AM More reviews by namooshie

I absolutely love the shimmer of the first three colors of the quad. It's excellent for highlighting a boring eyeshadow color and it wakes up my eyes, especially during school days. :p
The chocolate-colored part of the quad is not really obvious when worn alone so you have to layer it with another shadow (of the same color or not). I love, love the container! It certainly has a playful appeal that makes you want to play with make-up all day long! :p

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2008 10:13:00 PM More reviews by eternalstarangel

The packaging is cute, with lovely little stars and a cute angel on the mirror, the colors are pretty, sheer, and blend very well, but the colors themselves are too light to be worn alone

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2007 10:24:00 PM More reviews by Oneirix

Like all the tokidoki for Smashbox products, the packaging (for me) makes it well worth the price! I was very excited to see how beautiful the colors were, but when I put them on I was extremely disappointed in the blue shade. I saw the "get the look" on the Smashbox website, and the blue eyeshadow looked gorgeous, but it comes out to be extremely sheer to the point of uselessness. You would have to layer like crazy to get any sort of blue hue, let alone one that intense! So while the colors are very nice, they aren't very flirty or playful to me, which is sort of what I was expecting. Overall I don't regret the buy, but I wouldn't recommend it for the colors.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2007 9:09:00 PM More reviews by syeung2

LE item from the Tokidoki collection (Christmas 2006).

I wonder why the other LE Tokidoki eyeshadow quad (Celebrita) has not fared as well as this one in the reviews...

Product - The shades are described as: "yellow with blue iridescent shimmer, baby blue shimmer, peach sheen, matte chocolate," which to me implies that the first three colors are sheer. After trying the quad, the shades are indeed sheer, like BB Shimmerwashes - nice shades, definitely not opaque. The shadows have a nice silky texture. I will update this review after I try them wet. The pale yellow, as the other reviewers have mentioned, has an opalescent (bluish-greenish) tinge to it. Baby blue usually looks horrible on me (AAB/NC25), but this blue is sheer enough to work for me. The peach is best as a base or wash; the brown is a matte medium brown, good for the crease or as a soft liner. Peach and brown shades are always good staple colors in a palette for me.

Packaging - Comes in a small, mirrored, square black plastic compact with LE Tokidoki graphics on the lid and mirror.

Overall - Sheer, soft, springtime shades. Is it overpriced? Not really, for Smashbox - consider that the total product weight and cost of the quad (0.12 oz, $30) is about the same as two Smashbox single shadows (0.06 oz, $16 each). continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2007 3:30:00 AM More reviews by 4ever

I grabbed this stuff at sephora because it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE. Not only the package but also the shades. How I love the way it shimmers. So fresh and youthful. However, I agree that it's overpriced because of its package. The texture is not as smooth as other same-price brands.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/16/2007 2:39:00 PM More reviews by rebecca_79

the packaging on this tokidoki line is so cute! these shadows are really pretty too, i agree with the other reviewers who said they are not as pigmented as other smashbox shadows, but that is kind of why i like these. they are very shimmery, perfect for spring, when you don't want a dark smoky look, also very nice for daytime. the sheerness of this quad makes it very easy to apply, since you don't have to blend alot, you can just do a sweep of the greenish-yellowish or blue or peach shadow over your whole lid, and countour the crease a little with the brown, apply a little brown liner (you can also use the brown shadow in this quad wet as a liner), mascara, and you're good to go. they also will work well as highlighters, i have pale skin and brown eyes (brunette hair) and surprisingly, the yellow-green shade in this compact looks wonderful as an inner eye corner highlighter.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/2/2007 2:42:00 AM More reviews by smiley888

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

love the neutral/natural colors. perfect for me everyday. there all seem to be shimmery but not sparkly. colors: peach, light blue, brown, and popcorn. the packaging is what makes the price so expensive, but i like it a lot. the colors apply very lightly as they are not very pigmented. these would be better as highlighters for your eyes, apply to the corners and vs and it should definitely brighten your day!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2007 8:31:00 AM More reviews by hajamom

This quad contains a medium brown, a shimmery peach, shimmery light blue and a shimmery yellow. It is a small square compact with mirror which is a nice touch. The colours a very sheer and very shimmery. The yellow goes on a bit green and has an interesting iridescent quality to it. It gives a sort of mermaid-like shimmer when applied. The brown works well when used wet with a liner brush. Eventhough these colours do not have the same intensity that most Smashbox e/s have, I like it for its sheer, shimmery qualities. They work well on their own, or applied over darker, matte colours. This quad is a nice addition to my collection.