Avene High Protection Tinted Compact SPF 50

on 8/23/2012 11:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium

I originally bought this foundation a year ago when my dermatologist recommended it. There were only two colors, and at the time I told her that even the lightest one was way to dark for my NW20 skin. She told me it would work (she used it and she is paler than I), and if I didn't like it, I could bring it back. I got it home, felt it looked like greasepaint, and threw it in the back of my drawer.

A few weeks ago we were going to Arizona for a week, so I decided to give it a try due to the high SPF. I wore it the entire week, and applied it with the sponge since I didn't take my brushes with me. A strange thing happened...I actually started getting compliments on my skin! My skin is not my best feature...age spots and freckles, discolorations and crepiness which show my age (53). But I did look pretty good! The color is admittedly not an exact match, probably a bit warm for me, but blends it very well and gives me a healthy look. It does not completely cover imperfections, but blends them in quite nicely. I didnt use concealer when I used this, and really didn't need it. I do apply it over moisturizer so it goes on more evenly and smoothly.

Since my trip I have used it a few times and am pleased with the ease of application and the nice finish. It does apply nicer with a brush, but I grabbed this when I didn't have much time, so the sponge was fine.It goes on creamy, but quickly dries down to a silky powdery finish. I would buy it again, especially to use for those times when I am outdoors for an extended period during the day. I doubt it would become my everyday foundation, especially since Ive already hit pain and it was pricey. A very pleasant surprise.

on 5/31/2012 11:01:00 PM

Originally purchased this (beige-colored) at a MedSpa prior to a sun-filled vacation. Initially, it appeared like cake make-up from the 70s. I sat on it for a while. I let a fiend try it first, she loved it. Now I swear by it. Like others I use moisturizer underneath for ease in applicatin, and more even coverage. I use wet yje sponge, use just a few swipes, and it looks as if I am not wearing very much make-up at all, which I could never muster. Just repurchsed on amaxzon for 1/2 the price.

To note, the beige tint doesnot appear too dark for my fare skin.

I'm loyal to my foundation, till the day it's discontinued :)

on 5/24/2012 9:51:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Holy crap is this stuff amazing! Initially I didn't give it much of a second glance because it looked like grease paint and I couldn't imagine it controlling my oily t-zone. But after using it, I am floored! This gives a beautiful, matte but not too matte finish and it lasts! After 10 hours, it still looks good! I am a true blue Studiofix powder foundation lover and never dreamed that I might switch to something new. I'm so stoked I tried this! I might also add that I notice 2 sets of reviews for this, the other set being rated very low. I am wondering if they maybe reformulated their product because my experience with this stuff was amazing, I couldn't imagine anyone rating this poorly. Update: I was a little disappointed to hit pan so quickly but I've found that if you scoop out the sides, it really does last much longer than you would think! I've gotten an entire months use out of digging product out of the sides! Still HG.

on 1/20/2012 7:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Goes on smooth and great. Color blends welil. Not moisturizing OR drying. I must wear a cream under it so it doesnt cake, but other than that its amazing, it looks natural and beautiful and its the best quick sunscreen for on the go! I love the container and sponge! Great to put on makeup when your hands are not washed on the go.

I used this when I went to Egypt, with 45-55 degree Celsius heat. I went with a white face and white body, and came back with a bronze body and white face. This stuff is a very effective sunblock, and it gave me some colour, so I didn't appear so ghost like. I personally like this sunscreen, it didn't clog my pores.. but it did leave my face greasy, so I had to blot. I also powder over it, to keep the shine down.

on 2/27/2011 1:13:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I'm glad someone reviewed this. I agree this is a horrible product. It felt heavy on my face, but my skin did not get oily. How can you sweat when you have a thick paste suffocating the pores? The tinted cream also settled into the natural folds of my skin, and took more than two cleansers to remove. Finally, it caused a few cystic bumps which healed in two weeks' time. I can't imagine this on anyone's skin, and am surprised Avene came out with such a nasty product.

on 2/26/2011 9:37:00 AM

I don't know who this would be good for. Not me, dry and combo, somewhat sensitive skin.
I thought this would be a great way to have tinted moisturizer, in compact form instead of a tube and expecially in my purse since it's SPF 50 and easy to reapply during the day.
This made my face a geasy mess and aged me years, it looked so horrible.

on 12/7/2010 8:08:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

I've been regularly purchasing this compact for 4+ years, and I'm very happy with its performance. I use it for sunscreen protection when I'm outside for many hours gardening, or swimming, etc. I don't use this as my "makeup" for a couple of reasons: 1. Out of only two choices,( I use Beige), there isn't a color match to my skin, and 2. This is really THICK. Avene Tinted Compact offers fantastic non-chemical sun protection. It coats skin, creating a protective, water-resistant barrier. In order to get this kind of protection from other products, no matter how "micronized", I'd have to deal with the whitening or grey discoloration. As a high-powered sunscreen, this gives me protection without looking like I'm wearing white greasepaint. This sunscreen is fairly water/sweat resistant, and I can apply it whenever I need it, over makeup, and over bare skin. I keep it in the Family Sunscreen Bucket, and I carry it with me for the beach or days with long sun exposure. This does not have the light texture of today's cream-to-powder compact foundations, but feels more like old-fashioned pancake makeup. It definitely looks like rather thick makeup, so, unless your usual look starts with Ben Nye or Mehron, you'll probably use this only for non-whitening sunscreen when you need something heavy-duty. However, unlike "stage/theatre" makeup, this doesn't cover discoloration, but it does help to even-out my coloring, and it has a smooth, non-oily finish.

UPDATE 1/5/14 - I have replaced this product with Per-fekt Beauty Skin Perfection CC Creme SPF 30, in Radiant. For my skin, the Per-fekt CC is everything I wanted Avene to be, and I can wear it as foundation.

on 11/17/2010 9:35:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

I received this as a gift with purchase ( full size ) and can't comment on price. What I can comment on is, my love for this powder. It is identical to Benefits Some-Kind-A-Gorgeous! The only difference is, Avene's cream to powder has a SPF50 ( Benefits doesn't ). It starts out as a creamy, silky luciousness and dries down to a nice powder finish. Perfect for my NC20 dry complexion. With this having excellent sunscreen ingredients, I can wear this and know, I'm getting great protection. Don't hesitate in giving this a try, but try using it sparingly! I had to take off 1 lippie, because it is a small amount for the price. I'll use this during the winter months only.

Box states: active ingredients Titanium Dioxide 18% and Zinc 4.9%

on 6/8/2010 11:39:00 AM

I am so happy with this product, and am almost kicking myself for not having tried this years ago when I first came by it. I'm Asian, with sensitive skin that's clear (my only frustration is blackheads, which have recently been annihilated by another Avene product, Cleanance K), and very oily. The women in my family have traditionally kept beautiful skin, thanks to good skin regimens and avoidance of sun. I'm not a huge outdoors girl myself, but I do recognize the need of daily sun protection and have purchased many an SPF product to keep wrinkles and early aging signs at bay.

Most SPF products, however, have disappointed me in that while they do offer protection, they cast a sheer white glow over my skin, or they're not very makeup friendly. My most recent discovery has been a Neutrogena product, which has been the best so far, but sometimes it still feels heavy - like one more layer on my skin, which, on a daily basis, sees moisturizer, primer, liquid foundation and powder.

So to come across a cream to powder SPF (and in 50, no less!) in foundation form seems like a godsend. And while it only comes in two shades, I'm quite surprised at how well the Sable/Beige shade blends into my NC25 skin. It looks so mocha brown (with a splash of orange) in its container, yet it applies soft, sandy, and much more yellow than the compact would have you believe. Also, I traditionally stay away from cream foundations (my skin is that much of an oily canvas), but this dries so nicely that there's not a hint of grease on my face. Keep note, however, that I do still apply a light dusting of powder (Benefit Hello Flawless) over it.

For about $30 CDN, it's absolutely worth it. I love knocking out that one extra step of liquid SPF. It looks beautifully natural and luminous, and my skin is protected, to boot.