December 17, 2014 | 1661 users online

Hair Color - John Frieda - luminous color glaze in brilliant brunette

rated 3 of 5 on 6/26/2013 2:50:00 AM More reviews by Hawaiianlocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Works great does what it's supposed to. Must be used with heat. Smells bad like tinted lotion. I'm going to get the clear glaze next time

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2013 6:37:00 PM More reviews by Akdownin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

this product is AMAZING.

The only way you couldn't love this product is if you had the wrong expectations from it. This product WILL NOT give your hair the same effect that dying it would. That being said, as someone who has dyed their hair for 7 years now, this product is truly a staple for every girl that wants to maintain a dark brown hair color. My hair color is naturally light golden brown so a few weeks after dying my hair it ALWAYS gets brassy. I've even gotten so frustrated with it that after paying $300+ to get my hair dyed and highlighted, I bought a $7 box of hair dye to cover it up, which just left my hair looking flat and too dark. This product is amazing because it is basically an at home toner. It will take the brassiness out of highlights/ color without covering them up! It basically makes your hair a richer color while leaving all of its dimensions. Also, it says to shampoo, condition, and then use the product. However, I found that after rinsing the product out my hair was tangled so I prefer to shampoo, use the glaze, wait 10 minutes, and then condition it. Hair is shinier, less brassy, and all around richer. Like I said, if you want a drastic difference, do not expect that from this product.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2012 3:24:00 PM More reviews by seagoddess35

i like this to give my hair a bit of oommph. i think it dioes keep my color a bit fresher longer. smells good to me and adds nice shine. i do use it several times a week. more you use it, the more it works.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2012 9:22:00 AM More reviews by lisatip

Used this morning for the first time and I love the way my hair turned out after blow dry. It is so smooth and soft, compared to the normal puffed out frizzy way it normally turns, even after using smoothing products. I used it as the instructions stated, which were to shampoo AND condition, rinse and smooth/pull water out as much as possible and then apply from roots to ends. Rinse off hands with soap and water. Leave on 3 minutes and rinse while finishing up with shower. I used no additional styling products, just blow dry and brush. LOVE IT.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/4/2011 4:15:00 PM More reviews by xmakemeoverx

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I decided to buy a color glaze because my hair tends to look dull, since I dye it so much. Also, my hair is on the drier side, so using a glaze would soften it a bit. I was trying to decide between the brunette color glaze or the clear one, but I chose the brunette since my hair is technically brown (red-brown, but close enough) and it would only deepen the tones of my hair. It's very easy to use. All you do is shampoo and condition your hair, then once you're done, put the glaze in, It's very gentle, doesn't stain, and you only need to keep it in for a minimum of three minutes. Then you just wash it out and you're all done. At first, I wondered if it was helping my hair because the first couple times I used it, it made my hair look greasy, rather than glossy and shiny, but after using it for a couple of weeks, I can tell you that I have seen some improvement with the texture of my hair. It's much softer when it's drying and also makes my hair appear healthy and shiny, without losing any of the depth of my hair color. It's not super cheap, but they do have deals on this product (which is what happened when I bought it at CVS) and also you only need to use a small amount (for me it's a dime size, since I have short hair, but it's probably more so for longer hair) to get the results you want, so it lasts a long time. I'd say give it a shot. It's not too intimidating for people who don't dye their hair or people who dye their hair strictly at a salon and if it doesn't work for you, then you can always return it. What do you have to lose?

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2011 9:51:00 AM More reviews by synmyn

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I was so excited to try this when I bought the Chestnut to Espresso glaze. However, it did not live up to expectations.

Not sure what specific ingredient is at fault, but my scalp burned like crazy while I had the product on and then continued to itch for days afterwards. After three separate attempts, I took it back for a refund.

As others have noted, it stains both hands and scalp. The hands are easy to clean with soap, but the scalp staining requires a shampoo to be rid of it.

This product does work in staining the hair and can be helpful for camoflauging grays or counteracting hair dye fade. However, I think a non-permanent dye, like Clairol Beautiful, will work just as effectively and provide better coverage and more color options...and at less cost and no scalp irritation.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2011 3:20:00 PM More reviews by 6rungirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have naturally dark blonde hair and I dye it brunette. To keep from having to go get my hair re-colored to cover up my re-growth I bought this product. It works well to help blend my roots. the color is not EXACTLY the same as the rest of my hair, but looks much better than the blonde growing out. It also seems to help my brunette stay shiner and a little richer, darker looking which I like. It's messy...stains your hands so you have to scrub to get it off, but it's easily done with soap and a loofa (which is what I do).
I put this on after shampoo and conditioner. I concentrate on my roots, but spread the product throughout my hair. Then I apply my deep conditioner to the ends of my hair at the same time as the color glaze, and clip my hair up so my back, shoulders etc don't get brown dye on them. Then I let it sit while I shave, relax, whatever. I leave it on as long as I have time, which is usually around ten mintues. Then I rinse it and the deep conditioner out. It smells nice...that salon type smell. It seems to make my hair maybe softer too. I use this every time I wash my hair, which is 2 or 3 times a week.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/30/2010 9:18:00 PM More reviews by DolledUpandCo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I didn't see any change to the color. It smells bad and can stain your hands and shower and it didn't really improve the texture of my hair. I am a fan of other John Frieda products but unfortunately, I think you're better off just going to the salon for a color glaze.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2010 10:57:00 PM More reviews by ChellyTelly

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have dark medium brown, flat hair naturally, and I dye it a medium/light brown and put in golden highlights. I washed my hair, towel dried it and applied about three quarter size applications, diistributed it well and left it on for about 20 minutes. Worked exactly as I expected. It toned down the brassy color my hair turns when it needs to be recolored. So far I really like this!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2010 9:34:00 AM More reviews by brooklynbee

I have medium-to-dark brown hair with a few grays,which has a tendency to turn brassy, and is very long/thick/wavy. I haven't had to color my hair in six months with use of this product! It really does extend the life of your hair color, and even gives some grey coverage, and the price can't be beat. It's not long lasting or dramatic, but I find that using it once or twice a week does make a difference - adds shine, prevents/corrects brassiness, and extends color life. It's a little messy to use - it's kind of gloopy and gets everywhere, and stains your hands temporarily, but that's nothing a little soap and water can't take care of... it's definitely a LOT cheaper and faster than a visit to the salon or an at-home hair-coloring session, so I think it is worth it 100%.