Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

on 3/22/2015 9:32:00 PM

I got a sample from Sephora after being matched with their Color IQ. I got about 10 days' worth of wear out of the small sample that they gave me. I absolutely love this foundation.

I have combination skin, my nose gets really oily and most foundations just melt right off after about 2-3 hours. This one does NOT. I do have to blot off the oil every 3 hours or so, but the foundation stays put.

I also have vitiligo around my eyes and mouth and a lot of redness on my cheeks, and this one cover and evens out everything beautifully. I find it easy to blend, it does not look cakey, and a little bit goes a long way. It's not drying and does not settle into the fine lines. I even use it to conceal dark veins under my eyes.

I will definitely buy the full size

on 3/18/2015 1:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I had never purchased any of makeup forever products, and let me tell you this product impressed me. I really didn't expect much considering most of the foundations I use make me oily, but this foundation didn't....it kept my bronzer in place And didn't make me an oily mess. If you have oily skin I recommend it, if you have dry skin might not be for you.

on 3/2/2015 2:24:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

So far, this is the only foundation capable of covering my extremely red oily cheeks. It gives a fuller coverage-probably the fullest I've ever seen but it doesn't feel incredibly heavy. To address the patchiness issue, as long as I properly moisturize and prime, I don't have any problems. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because the shade I initially tried (45) oxidized horribly. I switched to a 40 which finishes beautifully. I would recommend sampling this for a week or so before deciding if it's right for you.

on 2/27/2015 3:16:00 PM

This product is amazing!! Extreme coverage- a little goes a very long way. Price is a downside, but totally worth it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I used to love this foundation but now, in winter, it is drying my skin out and making me look like a reptile. My face is a mess. I'm literally going to go to the bathroom here at work, take all of this off and replace it with Too Faced Cocoa Powder foundation that I keep in my drawer. Second time it's happened, that's two times too many.

And the thing is, I don't have dry skin. I'm terribly oily, but this foundation has had a very visibly detrimental effect on my skin.

on 2/11/2015 4:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really like the way this foundation applies. I use my beauty blender to dab it all over my face and the coverage is medium-full (I use the MUFE full coverage concealer for my worst hyperpigmentation spots), and looks quite natural while still blurring imperfections. Unfortunately, however, this formula doesn't stay matte on my face for very long. My nose gets shiny after just a few hours even with setting powder. It also transfers very easily; I always notice streaks after I scratch an itch or just gently touch it to move hair out my face. It's quite pricey as well, especially considering how much product I use each day to cover my entire face. A pro, though, is that it hasn't broken out my extremely acne-prone skin at all and thus I will finish the bottle (shouldn't take me long) before trying something new. Bottom line is that if you are oily-skinned and need your foundation to last all day, I wouldn't count on this to do the job.

on 2/10/2015 9:46:00 AM

This is a really good foundation if you're looking for something to make your skin appear flawless, cover everything and stay on. However I find it too heavy to wear regularly and for the matte finish it gives, I don't find it controls oil very well. There are definitely pros & cons to it.

Pros
1. Full coverage
2. Very long lasting
3. Looks amazing in photos
4. Packaging is perfect

Cons
1. Feels heavy
2. Not great for oil control
3. Expensive

I like it for special occasions, but I don't think it's worth the price.

on 2/9/2015 10:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Great foundation for oily skin and I suffer from oily dehydrated skin and this doesn't emphasize dry patches, lasts a good time on the skin and doesn't get patchy at all.

on 2/8/2015 10:15:00 PM

It's a bit expensive I know that but I always love the look of it. I don't think I'm gonna go for another foundation since like one year ago when I first met this foundation. When I want to give it a bit glowier look, and a "not that heavy and matte" finish, I mix it with the Mac face and body foundation and the mix of these two works seriously wonders for me!

on 2/5/2015 12:04:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I have an interesting relationship with Mat Velvet +. I have acne-prone, oily skin with dry spots due to acne medication. When I was in high school, I cleared up my acne almost 100% and would only get a pimple or so around my period but that was it.
I used this for almost a year back then and it would keep my face matte and make my complexion much more even and brighter. I never had problems with it breaking me out.

I went through a bunch of other foundations as this one highlighted my dry flakes way too much! I then came back to this, I'm now in college, because I was looking for a foundation that would NOT break me out. Knowing that I previously had an okay experience with this and no breakouts, I tried it out again.

This time, my skin is much more moisturized and I barely have any dry flakes so the finish was really nice and it performed well. It's not as long-lasting as Estee Lauder Double Wear or Almay TLC but it's good enough for me as long as it won't break me out.

I guess my skin has become more sensitive now because this broke me out in CYSTIC ACNE. Oh my god, I've worked so hard to get my skin clear again, only for this to break me out even more... I don't know what happened but my skin just doesn't agree with this anymore so I won't be repurchasing. It's a good foundation though and I can see why people like it but I can't continue using it because it's breaking out my skin.

For reference I am in the shade #40 in this + I'm in the shade Tawny for Estee Lauder Double Wear, Sand in Almay TLC, #203 in Mat Duo, #8 in Clinique Stay Matte.
This foundation definitely feels thick for me but I like that it covers up my light pigmentation marks and makes my skin look even. It looks really great on photos. Be weary if you have dry flakes because it will accentuate it! I mix this with my moisturizer as that makes it go on a lot easier and a lot more seamless.

It's really too bad because I used to love this foundation... give it a try if you're not as acne-prone as I am!