Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation

3.7

Cyclopentasiloxane, Aqua (Water), Corn Starch Modified, Bis-PEG/PPG-14/14 Dimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Glycerin, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Mica, Magnesium Sulfate, Sodium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Aluminum Hydroxide, Propylene Carbonate, Propylparaben, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Chlorphenesin, Methylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Parfum (Fragrance), Cyclohexasiloxane, Sodium Myristoyl Glutamate, Hexyl Cinnamal, Limonene, Citronellol, Geraniol, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone. May Contain: CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77491(Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I have been wearing make-up for some 25 years and have tried many, many brands. This is easily on my top 5 liquid foundations for oily skin. It isn't perfect (but then again none of them are, so far), but I find the pro's far outweigh the con's:

Pro's:
- nice, buildable finish
- comfortable wear (does not feel heavy on the skin)
- applies to a matte finish
- relatively long-lasting
- travel-friendly packaging

Con's:
- tends to turn orange-y on me (the shade range is far too limited)
- requires blotting off after 4-5 hours

I imagine I will repurchase, unless I come across a better one in the near future.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I'm going to start off by saying that this was my everyday, go-to foundation before I started using powder foundations. I believe that the only flaw to this foundation is the packaging! I have very oily skin, and I will admit that this product, while it helps control it well, does not keep me matte for 8+ hours. However, I have yet to find a foundation that does! If I'm correct, this is fragrance-free, and it hasn't caused me any breakouts or sensitivity at all. I don't feel like this oxidizes, and it's perfect, even coverage that saves me tons of time that I used to spend applying concealer to every part of my (very) acne-prone skin. It covers redness very well, and doesn't crease under my eye area like most full coverage foundations. I find that this coverage is 100% full, no doubt about it! I originally wouldn't have bought this foundation if I hadn't been recommended it, due to the bad reviews I'd heard among friends about the brand's products causing breakouts for them. However, I walked into sephora one day asking for a full coverage, matte foundation that would be pale enough for me, and he instantly led me to this. The match was beautiful, which is very uncommon for my skin, I often have to pass up buying foundations I really want because they either don't carry it for someone as pale as me, or don't carry it with my undertone! I definitely recommend this, however, I also recommend repackaging this into a bottle with a pump, whether it's an old foundation bottle that you've cleaned out or an airless pump bottle. Sephora sells them in their travel kits, and you can find them on amazon for around 5$. I find that when you use the tube, you're able to cut it open once it seems empty and there's still a good amount of product left that you would've most likely thrown away! Don't be fooled by the small size, either. A little bit goes a long way, no doubt! Never looks cakey.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

muy bueno

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is my holy grail foundation. For me, it's simply the best out there. Worth every penny. I was a non believer and only bought drugstore foundation before this. A few years ago I had some hormonal acne around my chin and my Revlon Colorstay wasn't doing it anymore, so I tried a few foundations at Sephora and this truly changed my life, and upped my confidence tenfold. My acne is gone, but I do have very oily skin and some residual scarring that I'm taking care of with a good skincare routine, but I still use this. It's got very good coverage, is pretty easy to work with, and there's a great shade selection. It doesn't break me out, but I'd like to remind people that when you're using a heavy foundation good skincare is a must-you really need to make sure to get it all off at night or you will get breakouts. When I had skin problems I also alternated this with a light bb cream on errand days so my ski could breath-full coverage is no joke!

I see a lot of breakout reviews and cakey reviews and color reviews on this foundation as well as on Kat Von D's Lock It and Estée Double Wear. With all of these foundations you are working with heavy coverage and less is more-for a flawless look and for healthy skin. It's best removed with oil or micellar water (Simple makes a good one for cheap! So does Garnier but I love the Simple one) and then double cleanse afterwards with a gentle cleanser like Cetaphil. Exfoliation and moisturization is a must with a foundation of this caliber because it WILL find dry spots you didn't know you had and cling like a mofo.

I know that when I had acne I was like, horribly abusive to my skin, trying to dry the zits out and I ended up having the grossest zitty scaly face under my makeup. Since I have started moisturizing and stuff my base goes on way better. Just something I learned a long the way.

TL;DR:
Get this all off your face at night or your skin will be so mad! A little goes a long way. For the color issues, I feel like getting matched with that color thing at Sephora is a joke. I have to apply it on my jaw, in some corner of the store where I can get the best light that I can. I got matched up there once and came home with orange foundation! Yikes!

That being said this base is worth every single penny-it make me confident enough to face the world when my skin was (and still is sometimes!) just terrible. Go to Sephora and try a few problem skin foundations before you buy-you can take home up to three samples from every "world" so don't be afraid to ask! The best makeup starts with good skin and so of you spend on nothing else, buy yourself a nice foundation.

Other points-this lasts 12+ hours with NO BLOTTING for me. I set it with Coty Airspun or MUFE HD powder. I uploaded a pic of me with this on at the end of a 10 hour workday-and it looks great still! Not a drop of shine. Seriously! THE BEST!

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I wanted to like this but it was a hot mess on my skin. I got color matched at Sephora and was told I was between shades and could really go either way. The girl applied one to my skin and sent me home with 2 samples, shades 35 and 40 I believe. It looked incredible on me in the store so you can imagine my shock when I get back to my car and caught a glimpse of myself in the rearview mirror....I was orange. I was so unbelievably orange. I've never had a foundation oxidize so much on me before. I left it on since I was spending the rest of the day at home and wanted to test out the wear. On top of the oxidation, the formula turned me into a grease pit about 4 hours later. My skin is oily, but this was like nothing else I had experienced. I gave the other shade a try the next day (again, wanted to love this!) this time using primer and setting with powder. Again looked really nice at first, then oxidized and I was a lovely shade of oompa loompa. Vasaline face a few hours later. And that was the end of my relationship with this foundation.

I really liked this foundation's FINISH, because it was matte.. But after a few hours, it got sooo oily. The color range is so limited as well. All the colors were too "pink" for me. I do not recommend!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I am really disappointed with this foundation . I really thought that this would have been the one that actually worked for my oily skin. BOY WAS I WRONG !

When I first applied it , it looked very good on my skin , the color matched my skin perfectly. After about 15 minutes my face was completely matte & I thought great its going to stay like this longer than any other foundations. But after 2 hours my face started to feel blotchy and it became very oily!
I saw everyone rave about this foundation on YouTube how great it was & that this was like "THE HOLY GRAIL" but unfortunately it didn't work for me and I would most definitely not repurchase item .

Haven't had multiple pimples/cysts since accutane years ago and this foundation made my acne come back. Awful foundation. Doesn't blend well at all. Made my combination skin dry and flaky in my once oily t-zone. Heartbreaking. I was looking forward to this foundation being perfect. Sadly it's just not for me.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

i was shocked at how much i hated this foundation. my skin decided to get acne again after 6 years of clear skin post-accutane so i need more coverage than my current tinted moisturizer. i was so excited to purchase this product, but it was just awful for me in every way. i am very oily with acne but still have some dry spots on my face, like where the acne is healing. this foundation GRABS on to dry spots and looks awful (and yes i do use moisturizer). that was strike #1.

strike #2 is the color selection. MUFE, why have you forsaken pale people with yellow undertones? everything is so pink! the color i got that was the best match to my skin made me look like a scary pink ghost monster in natural light.

strike #3 is the wear time. i was expecting this foundation to last longer than my tinted moisturizer... but it didnt! after a few hours it was starting to separate on my face around my mouth/chin and looked awful. I set with a powder but it didn't seem to matter.

strike #4 is how hard this stuff is to blend. i'm used to tarte amazonian clay bb which is really easy and smooth to blend. mat velvet dries SO FAST that even if you are only working small sections of your face at a time, i still thought it was drying too fast to blend properly.

strike #5 is that i wasn't even matte for that long. when i put it on i was shocked and amazed at how matte my face was, but after a few hours i was just as oily as i usually am with my tinted moisturizer, so this doesn't really have any long-lasting mattifying power.

WTF, MUFE??!?!?

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is horrible for oily skin even though that is the skin type this is targeted towards. This separates on the skin. Only in my T zone which is what gets oily the only good thing about this foundation was the color match