July 29, 2014 | 2005 users online

Hair Treatments - Joico - Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm for thick or coarse hair

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2013 11:51:00 PM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Lately I don't know what's up with my hair, but it's drier and frizzier than it's ever been. I have coarse wavy/curly hair and it's long, and DRY! I'm on a search to find something that will deeply moisturize. This does a decent job (I'm still frizzy and dry after, but not as much) but I've got to knock off a lippie for the fact that it's got tons of silicones and doesn't protect hair color. I prefer lines that are a bit greener and natural. This one isn't it. But I would still recommend it to anyone who would like a heavy conditioner.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2012 8:17:00 AM More reviews by sprite26

I really like this product now that I figured out how to make it work for me. This conditioner is extremely thick and heavy. The first two times I used it, it left my hair so greasy and weighed down I thought it was a complete product fail. It just never seemed to rinse out completely no matter how hard I tried.
A little background on my hair: it's thick and especially dry at the ends. Regular heat-styling. I have a lot of problems with the ends getting tangly & snarled. Some breakage, the tangles don't help. When it comes to conditioner, the more moisturizing the better. Usually a thick and heavy conditioning treatment is exactly what I need, but this product just wasn't working out for me.
Giving it one last chance, I used the Joico Balm just on the bottom two inches or so of my hair after applying a different, lighter conditioner to the rest. Beautiful results!! I was both impressed and amazed. My hair was soft and smooth all the way down to the ends, even for 2-3 days between washes. I could run my fingers or a comb all the way through without getting caught on a tangle. Significantly reduced breakage! It's like I have a new head of hair. Another plus, by using it only on my ends the tube will last a really long time. I love what this does for my hair and I will absolutely buy this again.
While it may be too heavy for all-over use, definitely give this a chance if you have dry thristy ends. This conditioner is so rich & coating it's bound to make a difference. It's amazing!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2012 1:52:00 PM More reviews by MrsSkarsgard

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

My favourite moisturising conditioner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/20/2012 5:52:00 AM More reviews by Euphoria93

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Simply amazing. I ordered this along with k-pak reconstructor for my newly highlighted hair, and the combo was just what my hair needed. I had tried the reconstructor before and knew it's ability to build and rebuild the hair strands, so I wasn't exactly surprised to find out that this worked like a dream too. I left it in for 15 minutes and rinsed, and none of the dryness that's often left behind by the reconstructor was evident. My hair is now smooth, strong and supple, and smells amazing too! Another thing I noticed is that they have changed the bottle, so the cap no longer collect water in the shower. Great! I will try sleeping with this another time, just to give my hair a huge moisture boost. This definitely works better than the macadamia hair mask, and is cheeper too (online), if I recall. It also leaves my hair less heavy, which was my main problem with the macadamia hair mask. This is insanely expensive in my country, online stores that ship from the us or uk is like half the price, not even kidding.

Buy it and try it, you'll love it!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/10/2012 1:10:00 PM More reviews by theblushbabe

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I hate to be the debbie downer but this was just awful for me. I have medium/thick hair, and the lengths and ends are quite damaged, and I usually never have a problem with a conditioner weighing my hair down or making it greasy, but this one just coated my hair in disgustingness. I rinsed it really thoroughly and didn't put any other products in the root area but once it dried my hair looked like I hadn't washed it in days. My hair didn't even feel all that moisturized, just coated. So I washed my hair again, shampooed for 5 minutes, rinse and repeat, and it's still greasy! Eww. This stuff looks like yellow vaseline, I should've known right then and there to stop, because it coats your hair like vaseline would. And then there's the smell. It's not a bad smell and lots of people seem to love it, but I'm picky and didn't like it, which wouldn't have been a big deal if it weren't so strong. The smell of this overpowered everything else and made me kind of sick. If you're looking for a really moisturizing hair mask I recommend Kerastase Masque Chroma Riche, this stuff is going back to the store.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2012 7:43:00 AM More reviews by FlameDancer

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Holy Grail At Last!!!

My hair was over processed to the point where I had dry, kinky, crunchy straw at the end of each strand, making me look about 20 years older than I am, at least. If you've ever futzed with bleach, color removers, or just way too much hair dye and heat processing, you know what I'm talking about. I tried more protein, and that made it worse, so I started a regimen of clarifying shampoo, followed by Aussie 3 Minute Miracle or Neutrogena's Triple Moisture mask, and it improved, but not by very much. Having a terrible texture makes your color look terrible on top of everything else, so I was using yet more hair dye in some attempt to look even normal. Vicious cycle.

Then I found this mask, and used it in conjunction with the shampoo. Holy Grail status. These products do also contain protein (like all the Joico products), so I wasn't sure if I'd just make my problem worse, but I was at my wit's end. This gamble paid off, because after one treatment, there is NO MORE crunchy straw holding on for dear life to the ends of my hair. It softened and moisturized my hair like nothing else, and left it clean and lightweight.

A few notes:

Texture:

THICK. This stuff is thick like Vaseline, but smoother. A little goes a long way, too. It doesn't give as much slip as some conditioners do, but it gives enough to distribute perfectly, and it feels great washing out of my hair. I can feel the difference in my hair as I rinse it out.

Smell:

Smells like a mermaid. Salty ocean air, seaweed, and maybe a hint of cucumber and musk. A subtle smell, and not ozonic or chemical like a typical Cool Water scent, but neither fruity, floral, or sweet like most of the hair and body products out now. Doesn't particularly linger.

Result:

Silky smooth. It feels stronger and the frizz is GONE, but my hair's not weighed down at all. I add a serum to weigh it down, actually, because at its current length, the ends need a little weight. Because the texture is so much better, my color looks a lot better, too. It doesn't have mirror shine or anything, but its natural sheen has come back -- this stuff has just basically turned the clock back on my hair by about 10 years.

I'm in love with this stuff. It's worth every penny and performs better than anything I've used at any price, from Kerestase to Aussie. I'm ready to become a loyalist to this line.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2012 8:58:00 PM More reviews by djackrabbit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have fine coarse hair, my daughter has thick coarse hair - it works amazingly well with both of our hair types. This product is absolutely amazing - BY FAR the most consistently moisturizing product I have ever purchased.

I waited a year before reviewing because I wanted to make sure I still achieved the same results over and over again. It still works. BUY IT.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/1/2012 9:01:00 PM More reviews by xpmichy

wow this is really my holy grail. Just a few weeks ago, i went to the store and bought this. I couldn't believe how expensive it was because i paid 20$ for this. If my mom knew the price of this, she would probably kill me but this product is worth every cent. This is my first time reviewing so bare with me. My hair is probably the worst asian hair you've ever seen. I've always had thick thick, frizzy, puffy hair as a child because when i was a kid, i never took care of my hair. I would wash it once a week and always tie it into a ponytail. As a child, i always blowdry my hair and used head and shoulders 2 in 1 condioners. I didn't know how bad they were because they were the only shampoo my dad bought. So for the first 14 years of my life, i tied my hair into a ponytail. I finally decided to change and started putting my hair down but found it hard because of how thick and massive my hair was. For the last two years, i changed to buying two separate shampoo and conditioner bottles and that was the beginning of my hair journey. I started using the triple moisture hair mask last year, started air drying my hair and i started caring about my hair more. i wanted to let my hair down, not tie it up but the thickness and frizziness prevented me from doing this.Then i stumbled on this product. The first time i used it, i noticed my hair felt very soft and light. It didn't weight my hair down but I wasn't very happy because it made my hair look too light. The top layer wasn't as straight and didn't look as nice as the bottom layer. But after using it multiple times, my hair looked shinnier, healthier and when i come out of the shower and airdry my hair, it doesn't poof up anymore. I swear by this product and I think i'll always use this forever! <3. Buy it! If you have frizzy, thick hair like me, i'm sure it'll change your hair! I always thought I would have to buy a straightener and straighten my hair but after using this product, i noticed how nice, shiny my hair was. <3 it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2012 7:32:00 AM More reviews by psmitty

Hands down the best conditioner I've ever used. I've loved the regular Moisture Recovery conditioner for years and thought it was the best. I found a 1 liter container at a supply place for around $25 CDN, so thought I'd give it a try. I only need a small amount, so this will likely last me ages. I have thick, straight hair that isn't too damaged. I can use this every day and it never weighs my hair down. It makes it smooth, soft and with volume. I switch up the Moisture Recovery shampoo with Head and Shoulders Dry Scalp. Most conditioners, even expensive ones, make very little difference, make my hair heavy or ends dry. This is absolutely perfect! I would definitely repurchase again, especially if I can find it in the large size for a reasonable price. Highly recommend!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/3/2012 12:08:00 AM More reviews by Jessx3

I have thin hair, but this works on my hair too. Doesnt weigh my hair down as long as i dont put it on the roots.. Works better than my previous conditioner that is 4 times the price of this :/

Really good at untangling knots that can get to the size of a man's fist (I'm not kidding!) and I only leave it on 2-3 minutes everyday. (too lazy to leave on longer :X) I didn't have hair like a pantene model unlike others, but i stil love my hair now and cant stop touching it! this is an amazing product!