April 21, 2014 | 933 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Philosophy - The Present Clear Makeup

rated 2 of 5 on 7/29/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by corifornication

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

I do have to give it to Philosophy for one thing: this smells AMAZING. A really beautiful, natural lavender scent. I *LOVE* it.

As for the product itself, I hated it. I've tried it a few different ways, like leaving it on the full two minutes, slightly less, slightly longer, rubbing it in, patting it in, not rubbing at all, brushes, sponges, fingers, two dollops or just one...I really, reeeealllly wanted to like it, especially since it is fairly cheap compared to some of the other high end primers out there, but I just hate it. The consistency is very sticky and thick, almost the exact feeling of slightly dried rubber cement. It's hard to spread and really does absolutely nothing for pores like other "invisible makeup" type products out there. And while it may have made my makeup last a teeny bit longer, it made it look really kind of...bad. Sort of how it looks when you don't buff your powder in enough, and it looks all seperated and floaty? Yeah, like that. With all my foundations.

I'm going to try to mix this in with some of my other primers to see if I can make use of the remaining product, but frankly I'd rather go without primer than use this ever again. I'm so disappointed!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/13/2013 11:50:00 AM More reviews by srander6

I used to LOVE this primer and I use philosophy religiously. However, when I bought my most recent replacement the packaging was different and I thought ok no big deal. Used it a few times and broke out. Now keep in mind that I don't have problem skin...my face is usually very clear so when I break out it's definitely a reaction to something. A few weeks later I tried it again, not wanting to believe that my beloved primer was breaking me out. But it happened again. I tried one more time a few days ago and broke out with big, red, and painful pustules. I've read the ingredients and they've definitely changed the formula. If it works for you, good, but I just want everyone to know that the formula is different and your skin may react negatively. Unfortunately I have to give this new version a low rating.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/5/2013 12:49:00 AM More reviews by LALAFLYx3

Let me just start off by saying that I really did like this product when I applied it on. It applied on really smoothly and was kind of sticky after I applied it, which is great because I use mineral makeup and it will just help my makeup adhere better. I use a different primer for my t-zone as my cheeks because I have combination oily skin. This product only went onto my cheeks.
The process of applying my makeup was great. My makeup went on really smoothly. It adhered really well to my face, especially on my cheeks. This is great for me because I have always had trouble finding a primer that acted really well with my mineral makeup. At this point, I felt like my makeup looked pretty good.
The worst part came when I went to go hangout with my friends. I'm not going to lie, it kept my makeup in place all day. I never really looked in the mirror but at the end of the day, when I did look, my makeup looked absolutely flawless. However, one of my friends actually texted me after I got home and asked me if I was wearing a lot of makeup today. I told him that it was the same amount as always, and he told me that my cheeks seemed like it had a lot of makeup. Not only that, but that my cheeks seemed a little more pale than the rest of my face. He told me that it was less noticeable in the beginning but as the day progressed, it was more and more visible. He also asked me if I wore a different perfume because when I went in to hug him, I had a faintly clay scent.
Let me clarify this now. He is quite a bit taller than me, so when we hug, the only place he does come in contact with is pretty much my face. The only thing I changed about my normal routine is the primer on my face.
I am so glad that it did not leave me with a rash or breakout of any sort, but I am going to be returning the product.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2013 2:00:00 AM More reviews by azcohn

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got a few samples of this and I've used a few times - enough times to know that it's not for me. It's not that it's bad; it just doesn't really do anything. I much prefer Clinique's instant perfector as a primer.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by babydoll021

I adore this product. It smells amazing (lavender), once its dried your skin looks incredible too! I love this! It makes my skin look so perfect, your makeup will stick to it all day, if you put it on at 8 in the morning it would still be on when you get home from being out all day! Not only is it a brilliant primer but it perfects your skin so well! Warning: it contains lavender oil which is photosensitive so if you go out during the day with it on you may develop a rash, myself nor anyone I've ever tried it on have had a rash develop from using it but beware of this! I would definitely buy this again, my skin doesn't look the same without it!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/4/2013 11:52:00 PM More reviews by nattib2

i cannot use this as a makeup primer. its shocking. for me it was like applying makeup over a thick dry wax.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/31/2013 3:02:00 PM More reviews by trillium13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've used this off and on for quite a few years, and I'm a fan. For me, it works best when I'm not wearing a lot of other makeup. It works as sort of a combo moisturizer-primer; I wear it over sunscreen. I use it on days that I only wear concealer and powder or a tinted moisturizer. I find it a little heavy to wear under regular foundation or BB cream. It applies easily and feels lovely. It makes my skin look very smooth and velvety and it makes a great base. You absolutely have to let it set for at least the 2 minutes it recommends. It has a very light, pleasant scent. It's slightly rosy or floral and I like it a lot. It doesn't linger. I do wish the opening of the tube was a tiny bit smaller because I think it's easy to dispense too much. I've bought it more than once already so yes, I'd definitely repurchase. You only need a little so it lasts forever.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/29/2013 5:05:00 AM More reviews by Kdids520

I bought this years ago and absolutely loved it. I bought a new one recently and they must have changed the formula because it's gross. My foundation wouldn't sink in at all. I tried with my fingers, a sponge, a brush and beauty blender. I ended up washing my face and starting over without it. I will not repurchase again and will likely just throw this one out. Boo!

rated 2 of 5 on 3/11/2013 12:49:00 PM More reviews by Isolar

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've tried wearing this under three different types of foundation (2 liquid, 1 powder), using three different application methods (foundation brush, makeup sponge, and fingertips) and got terrible results every time I tried. My makeup has never looked so disgusting and cakey. Still gave this product 2 lippies since you can wear it on its own and it does improve the appearance of skin if you choose to go out with nothing else on. The most you can get away with is a very light application of translucent powder applied with a brush - anything else and this primer will turn your makeup nasty, fast.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/20/2013 12:44:00 AM More reviews by victoriamorgan

Basic skin test : Clean and moisturize top of left hand. Allow 2 min for moisturizer (water based) to dry. Apply nothing to 1st (top) region, The Present to the 2nd, UD Primer Potion to the 3rd and both The Present FOLLOWED by UD to the 4th (bottom). Allow The Present to dry the required 2 min. Apply foundation with 2 fresh sponges to top 2 layers and draw line of UD 24/7 liner on all 4. Smudge pencil and set with powder. Gently wipe with tissue.

Results by layer: 1. Two wipes and goodbye foundation. Liner stays, 2. Despite recommended drying time being given, setting with powder AND it being water based just like the Present, both makeup and liner wipe off/smudge easily. 3. The foundation slides off The Present and the UD Potion has lost it's "sticking power" with the liner. 4. No foundation just liner that DOESN'T budge. So, no The Present doesn't help foundation last, it actually makes it just sit on top of it and easily wiped away. Plus my 24/7 pencil fought placing a line on it, smeared and caked instead of smudging and my UD Potion was rendered useless. Save your money.