November 22, 2014 | 966 users online

Fragrances - Guy Laroche - Fidji

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2008 8:28:00 PM More reviews by MissLori

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not to be glib, but this smells like the 1970s. To my nose, this comes off as very dated, sharp and stale. Reminds me of the teachers' lounge back in junior high (minus all the cigarette smoke!) I hate to be the dissenter on Fidji, but this is not at all what I was expecting based on the reviews. Maybe it's a chemistry thing, or just personal taste, but I don't care for this scent at all. I don't get amazing, fresh, clean -- any of those things -- just perfumey aldhydes ruining what might possibly have been a nice scent.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2008 6:04:00 AM More reviews by condesadepitimini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I recall myself being a little girl and loving this fragrance.
Yes, I always had a very defined olfactory sense and probably from the day I was born I loved perfumes (I started being a mini bottles collectors by the age of 5).
In those years (late Seventies) Fidji was very in fashion and almost every “polished, refined and up-to-date” lady had to have that. So to me, it was the perfume of “grown-ups” and always has been a myth.
A very elegant aunt of mine (she is Parisian, by the way) was wearing that and I loved it to death…. I also recall visiting my local perfumery (at the time I had one just across the street) just to get a free spritz of this perfume (yes, the lady was very kind). At some point - but I was way older – I got one small bottle that I enjoyed til the last drop… but by that time I had already other FB fragrances and Fidji kinda lost its unique appeal that had when I was so young.
I always feel transported to another world when I smell it.
In addition, it is exactly how I like fragrances to be: start fresh, have a floral heart and an oriental/ambery or spicy drydown (I know, may frags are structured in this way). Fidji had these notes:
- top note. Galbanum, Hyacinth, Lemon
- middle note: Clove, Rose, Jasmine, Violet
- base note: Musk, Patchouli, Sandal, Amber
This is a unique, classic fragrance that every lady should try at least once.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/8/2008 4:59:00 AM More reviews by pennypencil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Blue

I like Fidji, although it buzzes in my nostrils a little more than I’m usually happy with. For some reason the aldehydes in this have more tenacity on my skin than most other fragrances do, and it remains very ‘middle-y’ throughout, without really morphing into anything else. What I do get is a blast of pretty florals. A lot of the note I have come to recognise as galbanum. A little rose and a bit more carnation. It is very soapy on my skin, and I like soapy, so that’s okay. This fragrance sits somewhere between Ivoire and Anais Anais, in my opinion, but I like Ivoire more. Somehow Fidji makes me think of a twenties revival in the sixties. Perhaps it’s the bottle. I can place the wearer on a beach, and she’s holding a rather extravagant hat to her head, to stop it getting carried off by the breeze.
Despite only coming into contact with Fidji for the first time a couple of years ago (I believe), the fragrance seems very familiar to me. I wonder if this is because it’s fairly similar to others of its type. I like it, and am enjoying my decant, but unless I saw it seriously discounted, I probably wouldn’t buy it, as it’s that bit too sharp for my tastes.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2008 2:13:00 PM More reviews by JaleR

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My first perfume, my most beloved perfume, the best perfume.
What a shame I can't even find the body cream or any other body product anymore. Is it true one can still find the extrait or cream in Paris? Let me know where.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2008 8:48:00 PM More reviews by Cherilu

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My favorite for around 25 years. I miss the body lotion so much!!!!!!!! I was addicted to being totally wrapped in it. There was a time I had it in a body wash too. Maybe I will just have to go Paris, just to get my hands on Fidji everything again. Sign.

When I first feel in love with it, what made me adore it was that it was light, yet intoxicating; fresh, yet complicated. It didn't have that powdery or overpowering scent it seemed everything had at the time. Always received compliments and was always asked what perfume are you wearing.

Now I wear it and smells beautiful without feeling like I am dating myself because Fidji is timeless. But, it isn't quite the same in the EDT. I don't even bother with that. The closest I can come to feeling enveloped in it is in the perfume. Unfortunately, it almost makes me sad to just catch of whiff here and there. Like remember how good it used to be....

Sorry I am not good at describing notes. It is linear, as some say, meaning what you initially smell is how it stays...on me anway, when I catch a whiff all to infrequently.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2007 9:25:00 PM More reviews by seramadis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I was digging around in a drawer and came upon a sample vial of this, so I decided to use it one day. It was so AMAZING I immediately charged out and bought a bottle of it. Now I'm not very much into perfumes, I have quite a few already and certainly didn't feel the need for any more. But this fragrance is just so special, and so different from the ones I have. It's the perfect fragrance to wear every day (unlike most of the ones I have like Opium and J'Adore which for me are too strong to wear all the time). Well maybe it's just the sandalwood and jasmin, those 2 scents always smell good to me! Unlike a lot of fragrances Fidji doesn't change on me and turn yucky smelling after a while.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/19/2007 12:30:00 PM More reviews by sangkae

Such a classic fragrance! It opens very fresh and green, then warms up on my skin with the perfect blend of soft white flowers and a hint of rose, not that powdery and old ladyish but sweet and fresh rose. I smell the spicy carnation in the drydown which makes the whole composition reminiscent of the aroma of frangipani blooming in my yard. I'm not sure whether there is frangipani note in this but it smells like fresh frangipani with a hint of spices...very earthy and exotic. A classic fragrance that will never smell outdated for modern women. This one's worth a try!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2007 3:49:00 PM More reviews by LipstickLil

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is absolutely wonderful! I used to wear Fidji a lot years ago but for some reason never replaced my bottle when it ran out. Recently a friend on MUA sent me a decant and I was just so happy to smell this old favourite again - it smells just as beautiful on the skin as it does in the sample vial! It's an intoxicatingly lush fresh green floral - a true floral though, with no fruity or vanilla notes on my skin. I can smell tuberose and jasmine mostly, on a woody base, and the fragrance retains its cool greenness for 4-5 hours on my skin. This is a bright, vivacious and breezy perfume, clean rather than powdery, and perfect for the summer. Absolutely FBW!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2007 7:47:00 PM More reviews by SensualSusanna

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

A-M-A-Z-I-N-G fragrance. It's cool & green -- lush, yet dry -- and despite it's name not too tropical but smells like a cool breeze.You can tell this is a fragrance that is older -- when perfumes were not formulated to smell like fruit and flowers, but rather -- clean woman -- enhanced by lush tropicals.. However, even though it's older -- it remains a classic and is ideal for this modern woman. I am old enough to remember Fidji's ad campaign that stated 'every woman is an island -- Fidji is her fragrance'. Ahhh -- breathtakingly elegant and representative of the sign of the times during the women's movement of the late '60s. Lovely -- elegant and uniquely different than the myriad of fruity tropical florals out there -- What's great about Fidji as well is it's linear -- meaning it doens't morph into something else over time. It remains consistant in it's delightful fragrance. Fidji is indeed exotic and enchanting -- and named very appropriately. FBW for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2007 9:53:00 AM More reviews by Snowwhitie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was happy to read the two previous positive reviews of Fidji, and I totally agree with them. Fidji is green and flowery at the same time, and in a very good way. I have the vintage and the "revamped" version, and while the vintage Fidji might be a bit more perfumey in the old-fashioned way, they both smell extremely nice, and I couldn't even decide which one I like better. A long time ago one of my co-workers used the body lotion of Fidji, and I used to think that this must be one of the best body lotions on the market, reflecting beautifully the scent. Sadly, the body lotion is no longer sold in my country. Together with Patou's Colony, this is my favourite tropical fragrance.