Avon Smooth Mineral Make-up

3.3

MICA TITANIUM DIOXIDE SILICA CALCIUM PCA ZINC PCA SACCHAROMYCES/COPPER FERMENT SACCHAROMYCES/MAGNESIUM FERMENT SACCHAROMYCES/ZINC FERMENT SACCHAROMYCES/MALACHITE FERMENT SACCHAROMYCES/TOURMALINE FERMENT KAOLIN LAURYL PCA SODIUM PCA LECITHIN RETINYL PALMITATE SODIUM CHONDROITIN SULFATE TOCOPHEROL SODIUM HYALURONATE ASCORBYL PALMITATE ATELOCOLLAGEN BETA-CAROTENE TREHALOSE POLYQUATERNIUM-51 PHENYL TRIMETHICONE UREA C12-15 ALKYL BENZOATE SILICA DIMETHYL SILYLATE METHYLPARABEN IMIDAZOLIDINYL UREA PROPYLPARABEN MAY CONTAIN: IRON OXIDES BISMUTH OXYCHLORIDE/CI 77163

on 8/13/2012 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have the one with the tiny metal flapper that allows the powder to come out. I do not care for that feature very much. I am pretty sure this powder burned my skin! It was the only thing different I had used on my skin and the next day it looked as though I had taken a hot iron to my forehead area and around my nose area. Yes I did cleanse my face before going to bed. ;-) Not too sure if I want to try to use this one again to make sure if it is what did the burn because it was bad!

on 8/11/2012 6:36:00 PM

This loose powder provided a medium coverage without appearing too cakey. I use it alone over my moisturizer during the summer and it helps to keep shine away. I also find it does a great job when I layer lightly over a liquid foundation for when I am going out in the evening. It also lasted me for nearly a year!

on 7/18/2012 12:12:00 AM

lovely coverage but it makes me itch so badly. never had a problem with any other make up in my life.

on 7/6/2012 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Despite being a mineral make-up this made my skin itch and broke me out. Smelt like talc and gave a cakey, gross finish. Packaging was messy and there are a lot of other mineral foundation at the same price and cheaper that do a better job.

on 2/19/2012 11:50:00 PM

I was very disappointed in this product. I really, really wanted it to work because a few years ago when I religiously tanned (very bad, no longer do it more than once or twice per month!) and was several shades darker, I had this product in Shell and I could wear it alone over a makeup primer and it covered so well and lasted all day and never looked fake. Now as a very fair skinned person, purchasing it in the lightest shade, it's a very dry, cakey product. I was so excited to get my new order, but I was so disappointed when I went to try it on by itself. I ended up having to layer some other foundation over it. Which upsets me because I have been trying for so long to find just one makeup that I do not need anything more than a finishing powder to go with. Just one color, one product that I can put on by itself without combining or adding something else. It's not necessarily a "dud", which is why I gave it 3 stars. I can see it being absolutely great applied with a moisturizer and as a very sheer, very natural looking powder for a "day" look or for someone with great skin, which I do NOT have. I need much heavier coverage (but not using so much makeup at the same time) and a lot more smooth application, because even though my skin is very oily throughout the day, it doesn't start that way. Anything that goes on as dry as this product cakes up and looks very Elizabethian-like. I will use this product as a finishing powder over another product, or if I'm just leaving the house for a little while not needing to look va-voom, but I won't be repurchasing.

on 1/25/2012 1:57:00 PM

I was very surprised at the quality of this foundation. It provides medium, natural looking coverage and comes in many shades. The packaging has changed - the product is sealed off until you close it and shake it. It's a great design. I have light /medium golden skin and wear Sand Beige. I think I am MAC NC25. Don't let choosing a shade deter you from trying this. Avon is wonderful about exchanges.

on 11/19/2011 9:39:00 PM

i would recommend this product. no breakout problem so far. i also use this as a blush/bronzer on my cheekbones to make them stand out. this can be used by itself but i tend to use this over my liquid foundation.

on 11/9/2011 3:07:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

**UPDATE**
Since this review, I've had a lot of difficulty getting the powder to come out of the tab, so I used tweezers to remove it completely. Now the product doesn't sprinkle into the top at all unless I pour it on to a folded piece of paper. It's really a messy pain. I have to get more of the micro face scrub, so I'm going to take this product to the Avon store and ask for a sprinkle top for it. Even if I have to pay a dollar, it'll be worth it to be able to use it wo a mess. Check your top when you buy!!

Old review:
My case is different. Instead on holes there is a small metal flap that only picks up powder when the case closes and opens. I don't like the teeny dispenser and often poke it with the other end of my lip lining brush to get some powder out.

I'm very pleased with Smooth Minerals and would rank it close to Bare Minerals. While the product is pearly, it's not overly shimmery. It can be a little drying, but it's not the flaky ugly dry other makeups have given me. It doesn't feel heavy and I'm satisfied with the even light coverage. My face is caucasion Yellow-toned with redder spots and the powder does a good job of evening the over all color of my skin. I've noticed fiewer breakouts since using this makeup and I wear it every day (I rarely wore makeup before this).

I've been recommending Smooth Minerals since I used a blush from this line. I've already shared with family and friends. This is an excellent product!

on 9/22/2011 2:12:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I use this foundation on nearly all of my bridal clients. The coverage builds up from light coverage, to full coverage if you desire. I often use this product on the body too, to cover strap marks on the shoulders. I like the range of shades it comes in, especailly as the nutmeg shade is dark enough for medium black skin tones. However, the only downside to this product is that the ivory shade is too dark for my porcelain white skin, and there is not a shade dark enough for rich black skin. The product does not cake like many mineral powder foundations and blush and finishing powder sits well on top of this. The darker shades can be used to contour the face or as a bronzer (if you wish to use this powder to contour do not go more than 2 shades darker than your own shade match. Whatever you do, please do not use Avon's kabuki brush with this product, the brush is truly terrible. It has excellent staying power on normal, combination and oily skin. As long as skin is well prepared with mosituriser it is suitable for slightly dry skin, but I would not recommend it for very dry skin (I would not recommend any powder based foundation for very dry skin). I would definitely try out this product as with Avon you can return it if it is unsuitable, even if you have used it.

on 6/21/2011 3:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

The color is off, too red. I had to mix it with another to get just the right shade. I rarely use it, just when i want an extra light feel. Perfect for summer for me since my face rare sweats. I still have an unopened one so I won't be purchasing again. It was a good price, but still not really worth it. And the Kabuki brush irritates my skin.