April 18, 2014 | 1837 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 188 Small Duo Fibre Face brush

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2013 11:27:00 PM More reviews by whereismymind59

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I mean, its a nice brush and it gives a great result but I feel like it takes me twice as long to put on foundation using this. Even when I use this on other people I notice it takes me forever to blend out foundation because the brush is so tiny! It is still a great brush, but its super expensive and I have many dupes in my kit that were half the price (im talking 8-10$)

Take my advice, buy one of the many available less expensive version of this brush. They are all the SAME.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2013 4:32:00 PM More reviews by sashaannys

Adore this brush, blends in my liquid foundation perfectly !!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2013 4:49:00 PM More reviews by strangerrr

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I have been using this brush for about 7 months and I tried itwith liuid foundation, bb cream and powder blush many times. It is only useful for powder products. But don't buy it as there are more useful brushes around.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2013 10:41:00 AM More reviews by Hawko

I had this brush for at least 3-4 years, at the time it was the best of its kind, even at that ridiculous price. Now, with the Real Technique stippling (pink handle) brush. All my Mac's crap are in retirement, they are cheaply (poorly) made, but not the price.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2013 12:24:00 PM More reviews by cgw1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Not my favorite. I got my makeup done at Trish McEvoy and the SA used this brush to apply my fdtn. I use thin, sheer fdtns so I find the brush is too long to give me any coverage. I think it's an awkward size, too. I almost wish it was a little smaller. I currently use it to blend in my undereye concealer, but again I find the bristles too long for my liking.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2013 1:30:00 PM More reviews by lilinah

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This brush is perfection!

MAC makes two similar stippling brushes; both have long white hairs that are fine, soft, and gentle, with darker hairs that are a bit stiffer and more densely packed, holding the white ones in place. The MAC 187 Large Duo Fibre Brush is just a bit too big to get the controlled look i prefer. But the 188, with its smaller circumference, is perfection for precise application, and is THE brush i use for powder blush, highlighter, or contour (bronzer). I generally do not like too much strong color and this brush is does not overdo application. It is especially good with really bright MAC blushes and mineralize skin finishes, as well as with NARS blushes, which tend to be highly colored. Yet when i want a more intense look, i can get more product on the brush or build up the color without wasting any blush or highlighter.

The 188 and 187 are recommended for both powder and cream (emollient) products. I only use the 188 for powders, however. For cream blush, particularly my fav MAC Casual Colour Lip & Cheek Colour, i use MAC 130, a duo fibre brush with shorter, more densely packed hairs.

I spot clean with MAC Brush Cleanser, and wash with gentle soap or shampoo every week. So far in nearly 2 years of frequent use and much travel it has held up beautifully. The white hairs are even still white. And it has NEVER shed a hair. One of the short black hairs did get bent, so i just snipped it off.

If anything happens to this brush, i will absolutely be buying a second one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2012 7:03:00 PM More reviews by One1Cherry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm so glad i got this. The white synthetic bristles are so much finer and softer than Sigma's version. Sigma's version is scratchy and stiff, thus it does not blend as well. Mac's version is also slightly smaller than Sigma's.

I use it to apply setting powder to my undereye concealer and blush so far. Its perfect, applies pigmented blush so well. The smaller size of this brushes makes it perfect for a more precise application.

My favorite brush of all time.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2012 11:08:00 AM More reviews by peacelovepatchouli

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is undoubtedly my HG brush. I don't think there will ever be a fair comparison or dupe.

I went to my nearest MAC freestanding store and told the MUA that although I love my Studio Fix Powder, it always looks cakey after I apply it. I just want a light dusting of powder to set it on top of my liquid foundation, but I don't want a translucent setting powder. I had tried MAC's transparent setting powder, and I just couldn't figure out how to make it work for me.

She recommended the MAC 188 brush for me. It's a small version of the 187, a mini stippling brush, essentially. She instructed me to apply the powder to my face and buff it into my skin with the 188 brush.

I apply the powder as she told me, and I couldn't be happier with the results! It leaves the perfect amount of powder on my face. It cost me $35, but it was worth every penny. Sometimes, especially in the case of MAC products, you really do get what you pay for.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/20/2012 1:30:00 AM More reviews by AsianDiva123

I saw so many good feedbacks on MAC make up brushes so I thought I'd try one. I asked an SA to recommend a brush for my cream bronzer. She was so confident this would work well. It turned out to be a big mistake. The brush doesn't pick up the product well. When I apply it on my face, either I'm getting no product or too much. So using it with my cream bronzer was out of the question, I then tried it with foundation, powder, blush and it didn't work well with any of the product. I have no idea how anyone would use this for. Also the brush shreds like heck and was leaving little hair all over my hair. I'll never buy it again!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/27/2012 8:57:00 PM More reviews by Blueologist

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

The salesperson talked me into buying this product to go with the Studio Moisture Tint I was picking up. When I used this with the tinted moisturizer it made it it look streaky and I found that it went on less streaky with just my fingers. It is not worth the money.