August 22, 2014 | 1196 users online

Powder - New York Color - Loose Face Powder - Translucent

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 5/5/2012 5:58:00 PM More reviews by zanderae

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm gettin' up there in years but I still have oily skin. On top of that, I live in the heart of the humid Southern US, so my face has, shall we say, quite a glow in the spring/summer/early fall months. This powder does an excellent job of cutting down the shine, wears well, and doesn't cling to or accentuate my wrinkles as mineral foundation can. In fact, it camouflages my rather light (ahem) wrinkles very well. And it's cheap enough that I can keep one at home, one at work, one in a travel bag (securely sealed with rubber bands - because, as others have noted, the packaging leaves something to be desired), and one at any other place I might need a touch-up. Goes on beautifully with a big fluffy brush and doesn't have an annoying fragrance. Solid gold HG!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2012 9:45:00 PM More reviews by mizzbouvier14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Wow! This only cost me just a little over $3.00. This stuff works great. The only true issue I have with it is the packaging. It's a bit bulky, and you have to be extremely careful not to make a mess when you open it. Goes on great with kabuki brush!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/26/2011 12:09:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a lovely product (I have it in Transluscent). It sets beautifully, and the descriptions before mine are very accurate. Interesting fact: I found NARS loose powder to be of the same quality, in how finely it is milled, how small it makes my pores look, and in color. However, NARS Snow is slightly less pink in color. Glad I tried this product. It's every bit just as good as the NARS version.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/23/2011 10:18:00 PM More reviews by shopgeek

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The product is really amazing, its very finely milled and truly translucent. It doesn't feel or look cakey. It also hasn't broken my skin out. For the price and the amount you get you really cant go wrong. The only downside to this product is the packaging.. it has a enclosed cap with no screw which is horrible for traveling.

TIP: I use an empty old Bare Minerals container for travel and touch ups, it eliminates alot of mess and works great! If you dont have a spare container Sephora carries a shifter container for $4.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/21/2011 2:21:00 PM More reviews by mrsmcg

I keep this next to the (generic) Vaseline on my makeup drawers as a good "general use" product, and that's the way in which it's most useful to me.

It's a really good-sized container for a great price, NYC doesn't disappoint there, of course. I'm PPP, so I originally bought Translucent as a color-matching setting powder. Yep, "Translucent" is my color, haha.

It's a good match for me, if a bit dark, but due to the issues mentioned by PPs (chalky, inconsistent coverage, etc.), I don't use it as my setting powder anymore. I'm currently using MAC MSFN and liking that. *However*, I use this to go over any really noticeable pimples after concealer; patting this on helps provide good coverage and make them stand out less. It's also good for the under-eye area, after all my other makeup is said and done, I pat a medium-heavy coat under my eyes and blend it in, and that has helped a LOT with smudging and smearing.

So, I'll probably buy it again to have on hand, just because it's so cheap, but since I use so little every day and it comes with so much, I probably won't need to for a couple years, literally. (Yes, I know that that's unhygenic, but I don't use the crap puff that comes with it; I use my good brushes, which I wash often.)

rated 4 of 5 on 10/11/2011 11:59:00 AM More reviews by cc001

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a good loose powder. It's not the best but certainly not the worst. It set my makeup fairly well, it removes shine, but at times it can leave a white cast on my face. I don't reach for this all the time because of that. Also, it's very messy. I wouldn't recommend taking this with you when you travel. Just put it in a travel container jar if you must take this with you. I would repurchase, but not anytime soon because you get so much product!
Over all a good powder to have, plus its cheap too!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/11/2011 11:38:00 AM More reviews by Christinaann5

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

wow~ i cant believe i havent reviewed this powder yet bc its been a favorite of mine since i first started wearing makeup- i use to use it as foundation as a little girl but now i know this is probably the BEST setting powder out there. i have normal to dry skin, weather depending but i use this year round. i love it & have found the best way to use it.- i like using a powder puff to first dab it into my skin after using all my cream products then after dabbing & patting it into skin i then take a powder brush & brush off the excess very lightly not to disturb what i just did. now this provides the most flawless finish to my face! it covers my big pores around my nose & forehead area like now other! it has truly been a lifesaver to me & has made a remarkable difference in my makeup. i use to just use a big fluffy brush to apply in my tzone area to set my makeup but now i realize & have learned to appreciate this powder even more than before-
PRICE/AVAILABILITY- this huge container will cost you around $3-4 depending on where you pick it up & sales & your area. either way it shouldnt ever cost you more than $4 and NYC Color Cosmetics can be found in some drugstores like Rite Aids, CVS also in Walmart, & Target
PACKAGING- this loose powder comes in a clear plastic container with a shifter with a push/slide lid. it may not be the sturdiest packaging or most practical since its loose & id prefer a screw on lid to hold the powder safely but id highly suggest storing this upright since the powder will go everywhere. if you store it upright, i have to tap the container to get some powder to come thru shifter holes. a few taps will probably be too much for one use but its fine. i then take it to tap a bit into lid & from the lid i use my powder puff & brush. this way it dont have a whole bunch of powder everywhere. its not travel friendly so i have taken a bit in a sep container from an old mineral fndt i use to have. if you do need to travel w/ it- id suggest transferring to another pot or storing in a plastic baggie or taping it shut! i dont travel ever so i find its fine for at home
SHADE/FORMULATION- this Translucent powder it just that, i dont find it to be too cool or warm maybe more on the nuetral side. for light to med skin tones it should have no affect on your fndt colors. it wont make it too light or dark it may start to look ashy on darker skin tones but i find that it blends so well that anyone should be able to make it work for them. its a finely milled powder with no shine or sparkles as some ive tried. its buttery smooth against the skin. it applies well with any type of tool you want. it provides a nice natural look. not matte more of a natural finish. it doesnt stick to any of my dry areas. its a great setting powder or even a blotting powder for those with oily skin to use for touch ups since its not cakey at all. i dont ever have shine coming thru when i use this. i do notice a diff without it.

overall, im obsessed with this powder- you get so much powder for less than a few bucks and it last forever!! ive had mine for over a year & im only halfway thru so ill def repurchase this when i finally have to without hesitaton. i like this loose powder more than my pressed powders but i do also like the pressed formula of this smooth skin powders- theyre both the softest & best powders out there so if you dont like the loose powder try the pressed formula!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/10/2011 9:31:00 PM More reviews by raspberrie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love, love, love this powder, but haaate the packaging. It's great for setting my foundation, doesn't cake up, keeps me matte, but every time I open my jar it gets every where. You can't take this with you, since the lid comes off easily, I keep mine taped down. If they ever change the packaging, I'd repurchase, but not until then.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2011 1:01:00 AM More reviews by annely

I bought this mainly to set my makeup. Because my skin is rather dry, the majority of my face products are liquid and I needed a powder that would keep them from rubbing off during the day. So, after reading the largely positive reviews on MUA, I decided to go buy this one.
The packaging is okay. I don't carry this powder around anywhere so the fact that the cover simply slides down and does not latch/lock doesn't bother me. A plus is that the bottom half of the container is somewhat clear so you can see how much product is left. I was also aware from reading reviews that there are too many holes in the sifter, so when removing the sticker covering these holes, I only took it out a third of the way through, and I've had few problems with it dispensing too much product. That doesn't mean that it isn't messy though. When you shake the container to get the product out, the powder somehow ends up on the edges of the pot, so when you open the lid, the powder can fall out and make a mess.
Now, the actual product is pretty great. It isn't as smooth and silky as other powders I've tried, but it's still very smooth, fine and easy to blend. It's translucent, and doesn't leave a whitish cast over my make-up, nor does it dull any of the colours. It's great at mattifying your face and on summer days when you're feeling more "au naturale" you can just buff some of this stuff on your face to remove shine. Because it is translucent, this won't cover any imperfections. It's great at setting my makeup and making it last through a 9 hour work day, although an hour or so after lunch, I do get a bit of shine popping through. I'm debating getting the compact version of this powder to use for on-the-go touch-ups, but I will definitely repurchase this loose powder when I run out.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/27/2011 8:54:00 PM More reviews by ashe1snow

This accentuates all my wrinkles and pores, and settles into fine lines. Despite being 'translucent' it leaves dark streaks on my face. Points for its ability to suck up oil like nobody's business but otherwise is not a personal favorite.