December 20, 2014 | 1128 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Retro Lipstick

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2011 10:11:00 PM More reviews by FancyShmancyBlonde

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Have been using it for years... looks exactly the way the Mac website describes it ~ Muted peachy-pinky brown. It's a satin finish which I love.... stays on for hours, always looks fresh, never dries out my lips and it's just an all around superb lipstick. I have found some great dupes just in case they ever discontinue it.... Wet n Wild Mega Last Lipstick in Spiked with Rum is really close as is Revlon Spicy Cinnamon.

Love!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2011 6:42:00 PM More reviews by blooiejagwa

Instant HG. Instant prettifier. My fave of all time. A natural looking red that can be worn with no other makeup and look beautiful! reminds me of the women in Renoir paintings... They usually had this sweet red tinge and no other makeup... A very classical painting look
Update: tips to wear this: this looks amazing with a neutral brown eye makeup, with a champagne or gold pigment dabbed on eyes. This lipstick looks amazing with blush on the pink side too. Don't go for browns automatically, because a pinkish colour will really revive the skin and balance out the face (since the lipstick is kinda dark)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2011 1:41:00 AM More reviews by GoddessIv

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought Retro about 11-12 years ago when I was searching for the perfect red lipstic, that's when a Mac artist recommended this to me and it became my favorite red lippie so this is definitely a staple. I have warm to neutral undertone with a light skin tone, dark brown hair and eyes. I found that this color is definitely wearable for work/school if you apply it lightly, for night however, you can go full strength.
This lipstick has warm undertones, terracotta with some brown so I know ladies with warm undertones will like it for sure. The good thing is, it doesn't turn orangy or brown after application and has great staying power, doesn't need lip liner and isn't drying, last long!! Can't think of one con, honestly.
With all that said, I havent' used Retro for quiet some time now and I just got excited about it again, because I bought Blushbaby from Mac and I didn't like the color of it in daylight as I did in the store, but then I remembered I had Retro and dabbed a little on my mouth and the two works beutifully together for a subtle, natural, healthy look. So now I can keep Blushbaby.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2011 1:32:00 AM More reviews by ashergill

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the lipstick color women dream of the subtle yet warm red/rust lip. This is an old school red not the 1950s blue red or the 90s brown red but somewhere in between. It's the color in your bag you use most often use and forget about but when it's gone you feel it's loss. On my golden olive skin it's not bright as the pictures above but a warm natural rust red.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/23/2011 8:26:00 PM More reviews by lovemakeup17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

This is my ALL TIME favorite lipstick. its soo smooth and such a pretty suitable colour , makes my lips look so gorgeous .
It can go on very dark, so i only apply a little bit and then smudge it out with my fingers. :) its a lovely fall colour but it wear it all the time.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/26/2011 8:47:00 PM More reviews by Alexine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Love this color, which is surprising, since I have very cool skin and this is a warm, muted red-brown. Warm colors look orange on me, but this color does not. Very pretty and long lasting. It's a Satin finish, but looks and wears like a matte lipstick, without drying your lips out.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2011 9:04:00 PM More reviews by sntuttle

This is my favorite lipstick. I wear it daily. This is actually a very neutral shade for me--dark brown hair/ hazel eyes/ NC20. I rated this a dirt cheap, because I use my empty containers to get free lipsticks.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2010 9:39:00 AM More reviews by PhanieRajh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Perfect red matte colour. I get TONS of compliments when I use this!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2010 6:23:00 AM More reviews by Sherriberry

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is one of the nicest reds I have ever found! I have been searching for a wearable red that was neither too blue (which turn fuschia on me) or too yellow/orange (which make my nice, white teeth take a yellow caste and I am not bleaching them Chiclet-white). Most of the reds I have tried are too garish and scream Homey-the-Clown, but Chanel's Lotus Rouge and Lipstick Queen's Medieval work for me too. I have very light skin, but it's more neutral/yellow-toned, my lips are quite pigmented already and my hair is two tones lighter than black.

I never tried Retro before because MAC is notorious for poor descriptions of their makeup colours and the colour swatch on the website looks like a hideous brown - it does have peachy-brown tones but turns redder on lips. I wish MAC would show what their makeup looks like on faces. Retro can be worn during the day to work or at night and when I put it on, it lights up my face and I immediately feel prettier - quite a feat for just a lipstick! If it weren't for the reviews and pictures here, I never would have tried it - thanks everyone!

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2009 8:18:00 AM More reviews by Hothead

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I bought this when my hair was red -- and it looked stunning. The color is right out of a 1940's movie: red with hints of peach/brown.

I think this would work on most skins as it is quite neutral and a subtle red.

I am going to wear this today to a luncheon -- so I am adding my 2 cents to the reviews of this great color.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No