MAC Retro Lipstick

4.5

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is a very unique deep rust/terracotta lipstick color with good opaque coverage. I would not refer to it as a "red" like many reviewers below, since there are really no obvious red tones in the lipstick like you would find in a warm brick red color like Rouge Basque from Nars. I have NC 20 skin and this color is beautiful on me although it is a bit on the dramatic side - I usually save it for weekends and evenings. It goes perfectly with Mac's lipliner in Chicory. The only reason I am giving it 4 starts is because I find this lipstick (along with all Mac satin lipsticks) rather drying.

The images make it look much brighter and red tone than I find the color to be, so I definitely recommend trying it on at the Mac counter and walking around with it in natural sunlight before purchasing. This color is definitely for warm skin tones only.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Gorgeous and so wearable! I selected this for a first date today and it stayed all through brunch. I coated my lips in Dior's universal lip liner before applying and it didn't budge one bit and went on so smoothly. It's what I call an underaged red. With a bit of Fresh's sugar lip balm over top it is flawless, I could see it being drying by itself so I recommend keeping something conditioning on hand!

It's all been said before me. Gorgeous, wearable, peachy, pinky, chocolate brown. I add a touch of clear gloss for shine. Great everyday color and I'm always looking for those!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Bought Retro years ago on a whim, but never wore it. Found it while I was cleaning out my linen closet, tried it on, and fell in love! The tube I had was "expired," so I got a new one as a B2M. Have been wearing it with Hover lipliner. I get a lot of compliments when I'm wearing it--the latest was "sophisticated mami"! Great for day or evening wear and lasts even through lunch and coffee.

Skin: Other, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

I may stray in order to experiment, but I always seem to come back to this lovely muted brick red. It's a great shade that suits my Autumn/ NC 25 skin, yet I could see it working on a variety on different skin tones because it's a warm red, but it's not orange. It acts as a "my lips but better" shade on me. Highly pigmented, so the lipstick lasts.

This is my favourite red lipstick from Mac. It's more of a brown red. A little dry as it is matte. Colour is special in my opinion.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Have been using it for years... looks exactly the way the Mac website describes it ~ Muted peachy-pinky brown. It's a satin finish which I love.... stays on for hours, always looks fresh, never dries out my lips and it's just an all around superb lipstick. I have found some great dupes just in case they ever discontinue it.... Wet n Wild Mega Last Lipstick in Spiked with Rum is really close as is Revlon Super Lustrous in Rum Raisin.

Love!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Instant HG. Instant prettifier. My fave of all time. A natural looking red that can be worn with no other makeup and look beautiful! reminds me of the women in Renoir paintings... They usually had this sweet red tinge and no other makeup... A very classical painting look
Update: tips to wear this: this looks amazing with a neutral brown eye makeup, with a champagne or gold pigment dabbed on eyes. This lipstick looks amazing with blush on the pink side too. Don't go for browns automatically, because a pinkish colour will really revive the skin and balance out the face (since the lipstick is kinda dark)

I bought Retro about 11-12 years ago when I was searching for the perfect red lipstic, that's when a Mac artist recommended this to me and it became my favorite red lippie so this is definitely a staple. I have warm to neutral undertone with a light skin tone, dark brown hair and eyes. I found that this color is definitely wearable for work/school if you apply it lightly, for night however, you can go full strength.
This lipstick has warm undertones, terracotta with some brown so I know ladies with warm undertones will like it for sure. The good thing is, it doesn't turn orangy or brown after application and has great staying power, doesn't need lip liner and isn't drying, last long!! Can't think of one con, honestly.
With all that said, I havent' used Retro for quiet some time now and I just got excited about it again, because I bought Blushbaby from Mac and I didn't like the color of it in daylight as I did in the store, but then I remembered I had Retro and dabbed a little on my mouth and the two works beutifully together for a subtle, natural, healthy look. So now I can keep Blushbaby.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

This is the lipstick color women dream of the subtle yet warm red/rust lip. This is an old school red not the 1950s blue red or the 90s brown red but somewhere in between. It's the color in your bag you use most often use and forget about but when it's gone you feel it's loss. On my golden olive skin it's not bright as the pictures above but a warm natural rust red.

Recommended for Medium Skin