July 28, 2014 | 1905 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Revlon - RV544 Tourmaline Ionic Hairdryer

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2010 8:22:00 PM More reviews by Chorus

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This review will pit the T3 Featherweight (full size, not travel size) against the Revlon RV544 Ionic Tourmaline (which is a dupe for it). I actually ended up with TWO brand new Revlon's (long story) so decided to try them both out against a brand new T3.
Initial impressions:
T3 is a tiny bit quieter on the "High" setting than Revlon on the "High" setting. It is only imperceptibly quieter on the "low" setting than Revlon, so T3 wins for quietness but only by the *tiniest bit*.
Weight: On a scale, the T3 weighs 1 lb; heavier than either of the the Revlons which consistently weighed 0.8 lb each. I can tell by holding them a short time, that the Revlon is lighter so I was not surprised this was the case when put on the scales. Incidentally, I weighed the dryer itself with its nozzle attachment (not diffuser attachment) with the cord hanging off the scale. I did not weigh the entire product which would also include the cord and plug.

Dry time is for very long, thick, layered hair (Longest point is just beyond bra strap. Tresemme Heat protectant sprayed in prior to drying unless otherwise noted. No other products used until after blow drying):
T3:
1) 17 min 29 seconds. (blow hair straight)
2) 24 min 30 seconds (approx) Blow out with curling
3) 18 min 14 (approx) Blow out with curling

Dry time with Revlon #1:
1) 17 min 14 seconds. (but I forgot to put on the heat protectant though - hair blow straight)
2) 18 min 28 seconds (Blow out with curling)

compared with Revlon #2
Dry time:
1) 17 min 29 seconds (Blow out with curling)
2) 19 min (Blow out with curling, but rolled 1st layer under this time so it took longer as I'm not used to that)

Overall impressions: Several times during my first hairdry with the T3, I turned off the dryer accidentally due to the placement and size of the buttons. This dryer gets VERY hot, so much so that I could simply not tolerate it for long periods of time on the "high" setting. Even in the wintertime, with the window open and the bathroom door open, I was breaking out in a sweat (and I *like* hot weather!). Anyway, the fact that the T3 gets so uncomfortablely hot may have contributed to its slower dry time when compared to the Revlons. I cannot imagine using the T3 in the summertime when it is hot; right now is the dead of winter!!
Although the Revlon puts the buttons in the same location as the T3, the buttons are "flatter" and I did not have the problem of accidentally turning it off as I did with the T3. Other impressions: The T3 has a very long cord; about 2 feet longer than the Revlon; I can see how some folks would like this feature although I don't need such a long cord. The Revlon comes with both the nozzle and a diffuser attachment included which I love. Although the T3 comes with a nozzle, you need to separately purchase the diffuser attachment. I think it runs for approx $25 more.

My personal pick:
Revlon RV544. On my hair, it does a better, FASTER job. It is 20% lighter than the T3, easier for me to use as I don't keep shutting it off accidentally, and it does not get uncomfortably hot - all of which are true of the T3. Also, it is $170 less than the T3, although I happened to get both of these products for free from ULTA, thus price was not the issue. I chose the Revlon because it works better for me, not because it is cheaper.

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2010 12:13:00 PM More reviews by lilpumpkin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

for the money, this hairdryer is ahhhmazing. i got it on amazon for about $17 which is dirt cheap, and i absolutely love it. my old hair dryer left my hair fried and crispy, but this hair dryer left my hair silky soft and frizz free. and it dries my hair SO quickly. i used the diffuser on my long curly hair and i was dry in five minutes. i cant justify spending hundreds of dollars on a professional blow dryer, as far as im concerned this hair dryer does just as good of a job. i love it! buy it! you wont regret it

rated 2 of 5 on 10/19/2009 3:21:00 PM More reviews by kathrine

Bought this when my old Solia started to die. Thought I would save some money and it has generally good reviews on MUA. Can't say I love it, although most people seem to. I have really thick, coarse, short hair. For some reason, it felt like it took longer to dry and I didn't think it did a great job of straightening/smoothing. I've decided to get an Elchim, which my hairdresser uses. Oh well, at least it didn't cost too much.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2009 4:30:00 PM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Revlon RV544 Tourmaline Ionic Hairdryer:

Pros: Got mine at Ulta for under $30 plus I had a 20% off coupon that took the price down even lower off of the normally $27.99 price tag. 1875 watts dried my hair fast without frying it. Comes with a concentrator nozzle and diffuser (haven't used diffuser yet since I normally style my hair straight). It feels really light - I have carpal tunnel in both hands and this hair dryer did not wear me out like most do.

Cons: I wish the heat settings were a little different the medium setting truly doesn't do anything for me. Other than that I think this is a great buy and would repurchase again, I just hope I don't have to for a while!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/10/2009 11:40:00 AM More reviews by perrisquirrel

This is honestly the WORST hairdryer I have ever owned!!!

There are 2 heat settings - Warm and Hot. Neither of them get very hot and I need HEAT to straighten my hair. The Cold button does get cold, which is nice. There are 2 speeds - Slow and Fast. Slow is way too slow to do anything of value.

It is lightweight and somewhat quiet, those are the only 2 positives I can find.

I wasted $30 on this thing and cannot return it since I threw out the box accidentally. :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2009 1:49:00 PM More reviews by MegamiMoon

I purchased this to replace my Conair Ionic dryer, which was both noisy and heavy. So far so good! It's lightweight, relatively quiet, dries my hair much quicker, and leaves my hair smooth, shiny, and healthy-looking. I have waist-length asian hair, btw. I've been looking for a dryer with a tourmaline element and chose this one based on a Good Housekeeping article that said that the Revlon RV544 outperformed T3 dryers in tests. And the price was right at about $30 (tax and shipping included) from Amazon.com. Oh, and it also comes with concentrator and diffuser attachments.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2009 7:32:00 PM More reviews by flowersfade

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i got this hair dryer for christmas because my old one was basically on the verge of death, and i hate it so much. i have really tame, nice, easy hair, and this pos just gives me a ton of flyaways.

also, my long hair gets sucked into the back of it every time i use it. it hurts really badly and there's really no way to prevent it from happening without cutting my hair, so i'm stuck there as well.

as for pros, it's lightweight and it dries my hair really quickly, it just looks like crap afterward. i've never had to fix my hair before using this dryer, lol. i can't really return it either because we don't have the box anymore and my mom would say i'm being dramatic, but this makes my hair look SO awful, i'll probably lie and say it broke or something and buy myself a better one in a few months.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/1/2008 12:04:00 AM More reviews by heidebe

I'm not sure I can describe how much I dislike this hairdryer. This was an emergency purchase at CVS one morning when my old dryer finally quit. I knew the end was near so I had been doing hairdryer research and thought this one looked ok. Plus, the price was right.

The first time I used this I singed off a chunk of my hair. I'm sure it was partially my fault since I didn't use the concentrator nozzle. However, I never used it with my old dryer and never had a problem so I didn't think to use it.

My old dryer (also a cheap CVS purchase) left me with decently straight, smooth hair. I could just blow dry with a big round brush and go. With this dryer I need to use a flat iron or curling iron to help tame the flyaways and straighten things out.

The hot is too hot and the warm is not warm enough. I have very thick, wavy hair and these settings just don't work for me.

I dread fixing my hair with this thing.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2008 12:02:00 AM More reviews by TakenByHim

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm a bit disappointed with this blow dryer. I expected a lot more due to the positive reviews here. I have very thin, semi-textured hair that is easy to straighten. I wanted something that would help decrease frizz and blow drying time. The only positive thing about this blow dryer is that it decreases frizz a bit. I normally have frizz especially after blow drying and this decreases it by about 30% so I have to give this dryer 3 points despite the many things I hate about it. It is actually a lot heavier than my previous cheap Vidal Sassoon blow dryer, less ergonomic, and it's about as loud. I don't like the fact that there's only two heat settings and two speed settings..high and low..what happened to medium? When I use the speed on high regardless of the heat setting, it dries my hair super fast but leaves my ends tangled which never happens to me with other blow dryers. Even my boyfriend noticed the tangling. I thought it was just my shampoo, conditioner, or leave-in that wasn't compatible with this and causing the tangling but I experienced the same results after using other products. If I don't want the tangled ends, I am forced to use the low speed which is too low for me and doesn't help decrease drying time. I take about the same amount of time drying with my other dryer. The high heat gets very hot though so if that's what you are looking for, you might want to try this. I would not repurchase this but it would probably work a lot better on the right person. Maybe people with very coarse, curly, thick hair types.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/21/2008 8:14:00 PM More reviews by mpm64

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Lightweight, dries my hair in literally half the time as previous dryers, and my hair is smoother. Others have complained that this dryer is loud, but it seems fine to me; it's actually quieter than my previous dryers. The only thing that I can find fault with is the positioning of the hot/warm button -- it's right where my thumb wants to be, so I often inadvertently change the heat setting to warm from hot. However, given all the positives (and the price! $26 at amazon.com), I can live with this one negative.