Kevyn Aucoin The Sculpting Powder

4.6

Talc, Polyethylene, Nylon-12, PTFE, Phenyl Trimethicone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Manganese Violet CI 77742, Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499).

on 4/5/2014 10:19:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

I was looking for a brown bronzer without any orange tint or shimmer. Perfect! But then I tried some light contouring bc my face was so chubby during my pregnancy. I used on the sides of the nose, under chin and a little sweep under the cheekbones. Perfect! I'm back to normal and I still use it everyday to make my nose look narrower. It's very light and barely perceptible even in daylight. Your won't look like a crazy kardashian with heavy contour makeup. Try it!

on 3/23/2014 8:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Awesome contour powder. Very easy to blend, payoff is great. The color is perfect for light-medium skin tones and swatches a grey-brown shade that is precisely what you need for a contour color. The texture is very light, soft, buttery. It's not powdery and there is no fall out. Tap your brush in gently and apply color--no waste. It lasts all day. This is a pricey gem but definitely worth the purchase price. I can see this being a staple in my kit. Will definitely repurchase.

on 3/14/2014 12:15:00 AM

BEST CONTOUR powder out there! I am pale, underlying yellow tones nC 15/ Porcelain ivory, lightest shade always. This is way better than other bronzers colors that some use for contouring. The color of "shadows" PERFECT!!! I am on my second compact soon, I had to buy another as a back up cause it's so fantastic. Thank u KA.

on 3/10/2014 1:52:00 AM

This powder makes my face look dirty and no matter how light I go it still somehow makes my contour look fake. I had better luck with nyx taupe blush for contouring. The product is small and expensive. I also find that this powder does not last on my face at all. Really disappointed and won't be repurchasing again.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I heard the rave, I like contouring because I have a relatively round face, so when I saw the youtube videos, I had to get this.
I have this for 3 weeks now and absolutely love it. Although I have a fair complexion, it does not look streaky or anything, it creates a really natural shadow under your cheekbones, so that you loose weight on your face instantly.
The only offputting thing about it is the price and how little you actually get. Just 3 g (I have Eyeshadows with more g) for circa 40 is very pricey. I hope it will last a little while, although I want to use it every day.

on 2/14/2014 1:03:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

I have a narrow face but lack obvious cheekbones. I use this very, very minimally horizontally in from the outside of my face - using it in longer strokes makes your face look thinner and longer , which might be great for some but is the last thing my face shape needs. This is a great colour - looks a weird grey-brown in the pan but this is just the right shade to create a shadow effect. However, definitely use very lightly! A note on the packaging: I'm more bothered about the quality of the product so it doesn't put me off but I do feel the packaging seems a bit cheap and flimsy.

Let me start off by saying this is the best contour powder I've ever tried. Love the grey tones in this powder that mimics shadow in your face. So why the 3 star review? I originally thought the new repackaging was great because no one uses the sponge and it was unnecessarily bulky. However, I did not read into how much they decreased the amount of product you get. I was shocked to see how small the packaging really was. It's the size of an eyeshadow pan and fits in the middle of your palm.
Previously the product was $42 for 6.5 grams, but now it's $44 for 3.1 grams. The amount of pretty much halved and the price was increased. That's why this is 3 stars. It's really unfortunate how makeup companies do this, but I have never seen it to this extent.
So, this product is ridiculously expensive for the amount you get. But it's a great product. I use the Hakuhodo G5521 to apply this. Very, very pigmented. I'm fair, and I only need a light tap of the brush into the powder to get the perfect shadow. So I'm assuming this will last a while.
Hope this helps in your decision to purchase!

on 1/31/2014 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I had absolutely lusted after The Sculpting Powder after reading the rave blog reviews and seeing photos of the finished results on other peoples' faces, but had to wait a few weeks till I was in London to make my purchase. Yes, the thorough online research also meant that I was well aware of the potential danger of searing one's face with over-zealous application.

I had been using the Bobbi Brown Almond blusher as a halfway house sculpting solution for the past 2.5 years, but wanted to move into something a bit more definitive as the Almond still has a pink tinge after all.

The first time I used The Sculpting Powder, I applied it under the shaving light in my bathroom and kept swiping (probably 4 or 5 times per cheek) on more powder as I didn't seem to notice much colour change and I've been used to heavy-application with the Almond blusher. Good thing I caught a glimpse of myself in another mirror under shadowed natural light, as my cheeks looked seared and muddy!! Everyone else is right that a little goes a long way.

The packaging recently changed into a much smaller compact (without the brush/ sponge pad which no one ever uses) and I've uploaded a photo to show the new format. The size is about the same as my Bobbi Brown single eye shadows, which also gives you an idea of how little product you get for the GBP35 price tag.

A week on, I'm still experimenting. But I use a pointed highlighter brush (Hakuhodo G5521) to apply, and do so under natural light. I'm still looking for a balance between getting the desired contour effect under different lights as the colour seems to vary much more compared to my Almond blusher. I still need to apply blusher afterwards, as there's absolutely no hints of pink pigment in The Sculpting Powder (which is a taupey brown/ grey). Fortunately, the colours seem to fuse into a more natural blend with longer wear time and the result looks nicely sophisticated.

I also bought the Burberry Earthy blusher for the same function, and am yet to open it for a comparative experiment. For now, I am still persisting with the Kevin Aucoin, as I really do want to love this product after all the waiting!

on 12/27/2013 7:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Color looks muddy in the pan but really mimicks natural shadows on my face. I use a Real Techniques Contour brush use roll it lightly in the product. Only complaint is that my sunscreen seems to stick on the product inside the pan, creating a hard coating on the powder. I have to scrape it off every time.

Packaging looks and feels cheapy given the price. Product is incredible though and highly recommend it for easy contouring.

on 11/21/2013 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I unfortunately wasn't blessed with razor sharp high cheekbones á la Natasha Poly, but fortunately, I can fake them with contouring! I really love the contoured look, but I've had my fair share of disasters trying to with warm-toned bronzers, ughh. Now that I'm more knowledgeable, I realise that cool-toned, grey-brown powders are the way to go, and decided to purchase Kevyn Aucoin's 'Sculpting Powder' based on all the positive reviews.

I think they've changed the packaging - mine is a very small little plastic box with 3.10g of product, whereas I've seen other versions with 6.5g of product. Anyways, the powder is a mixture of brown and grey, with cool undertones - not a hint of red or orange. It's very pigmented, finely milled and applies nice and smoothly. I have nothing like it in my bronzer collection, but 'Omega' eyeshadow from MAC could definitely be it's cool-toned cousin. The powder only comes in one shade 'medium', and completely matte.

I use it by first creating a 'pouting' face - I see my cheekbones better this way rather than the 'fishy-face', then using my brush, I dust the powder right under the hollows of my cheeks, my temples, nose and jawline. I do very light, buildable strokes, first creating the contour line, then using my brush to blend it out the line. It really does mimic a natural shadow on my skin, I like to apply it very lightly under my cheekbones, down the sides of my nose, the tip and on my temples. On each of these areas, I see noticeable definition, and to me this product to me deserves all it's critcial acclaim. Furthermore, I just LOVE using this as in my eye crease, it gives such beautiful depth to my eye make up. No issues with fading throughout the day either, although I do wear long-wearing foundation.

I sincerely hope that they release a cream version, since creams always look more natural on the skin. Aside from that however, it really is a phenomenal contouring powder.

Popular Bronzers