Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

Used this once for OCM. Skin was left slightly irritated and clogged.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

This thing is so good. This help grow my hair so so much. I put on roots to end and this helps not only to grow it but to strengthen my hair too. My hair is always so soft after using coconut oil and I have less split ends when I started this. So 5 lips I love coconut oil.

I can't remember why I decided to try coconut oil to remove my makeup. I use it for other things...moisturizer on my body, I take about a teaspoon a day for health reasons. I've been using it lately for removing my makeup and then following up with Purity cleanser. I like the Purity but unless I used it twice it wouldn't remove my makeup with one washing. I use the coconut oil and wipe excess with a tissue. Then follow up with Purity. I pat my face dry with paper towels and there's not a trace of makeup left, yet my skin is supple and moisturized. I follow up with Renewed Hope in a Jar and my skin has never looked better.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

Wow I am amazed ! I've been using this on my eyelashes for about a week & a half . I kid you not within the frist 4 days I saw a difference ! A week ago I overplucked my eyebrows a bit , I've been using this on them for about a week , lotscof regrowth & they've actually thicken. I bought the organic extra virgin 100% coconut oil in solid form. I take a couple of tablespoons and heat it up in the microwave for like 30 sec. I then pour it into a travel size container along with some vitamin E oil , which in reading the ingredients it contains coconut oil ! I do half & half . This also a great makeup remover especially waterproof mascara . I'll do an update once I've been using this for 4 weeks.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

With the help of coconut oil, I bleached my hair WITHOUT the damage, WITHOUT the porosity, and in TIP TOP SHAPE to go get a professional color done and keep it in my hair instead of down the drain!

In case you're not familiar with it, look up ''coconut oil bleaching''. The basic idea is that you slather your hair with coconut oil until it is absolutely disgustingly greasy, let it sit for a minimum of 3 hours (I added heat) or preferably overnight. You then add more to re-saturate hair before applying bleach as normal.

My home bleach job was a disaster, but thanks to this treatment, my hair's condition didn't suffer one iota from my mistake. In fact, it was in even better condition than when I used a color stripper.

I love coconut oil. I use it for everything, skin to moisturiser and I believe you can use it as a scrub with sugar, lemon, honey etc. make you're own homemade scrub or face mask. I also started using this with cotton pads to remove my make up. Would recommend coconut oil

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I used virgin coconut oil for my hair mostly and my body moisturizer. It helps softening my hair and helped me with split ends. I also used on my lashes and brows. I also used this for oil pulling. I will update later.

UPDATE (2/12/2015): The reviewers here are right! I just put a TINY bit (mixed with moisturiser) on my forehead to reduce fine lines. It seemed to be fine for a few weeks. But now my forehead is covered in cystic pimples. It's the only place where I put the coconut oil on my face. I also put it on my brows and my lashes. There are also pimples on my brows. No issue on the eyelids though, thank God.
It made my hair soft as a treatment and leave in conditioner, but it didn't reduce the amount of hair falls when washing and brushing. Split ends reduced too.

UPDATE 10/12/2015: Now I only use this AFTER washing my hair on a damp towelled hair. I put like a teaspoon or less and spread it from midshaft to the ends of my hair, concentrating on the ends (waist length). I don't put it near roots or on my scalp as I'm not going to wash it off again and I'm not going for the greasy look. I don't do it as an overnight mask anymore. My hair just doesn't respond well to the overnight method, the softness somehow is gone after I washed it off anyway. This is best paired with ACV rinse (50 water: 50 ACV). This gives me so much softness and no split ends (maybe only a few but I actually have to look for them now). I also use a sweet almond oil on dry hair after washing to add shine as coconut oil can be a bit greasy sometimes if overdone.

UPDATE 22.1.2016
I've stopped using this now. I feel this is contributing to my breakouts and I found a better substitute. Yes this makes my hair very soft but no shine. Overtime, it caused my scalp to be so dry and itchy!! I now use hemp seed oil after I shampoo and rinse with apple cider vinegar, and while it's still damp, NOT as a pre-wash. My ACV is now (1 ACV : 6 water). I need about 3 drops of hemp seed oil on my scalp and another 3 for my length. I have waist length. I wash it every 4-5 days with no itchiness in between. Hemp seed oil calms it down and add shine as well as adding softness!! Talking about multitasking! It doesn't break me out either. YAY! Oh and my hair/scalp does not look/feel oily even though I use it after washing.

Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Cool

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

I love coconut oil and use it EVERYWHERE. I cook with it, moisturize with it, remove make-up with it and - you could say I sleep with it too ;)

I'm not one of these make-your-own-deodorant, kale-chips-all-day coconut oil fanatics. But I am pleasantly surprised by how coconut oil has worked for my face/skin since I started using it one month ago.

I have sensitive, dry skin and suffer from frequent breakouts on my chin, starting in my early twenties (several years ago now, as I just turned 30). I eliminated any products with cetyl alcohol from my routine as I believe this ingredient can provoke acne for me. For the past two-ish years, my face washing routine was Cetaphil antibacterial cleansing bar, acnevir treatment, and eltaMD moisturizer. This routine worked pretty well for me, not eliminating my breakouts but at least lessening their severity and frequency.

About two months ago, my breakouts began flaring up again with some regularity and I feared my skin had grown used to the acnevir and it was no longer as effective as it once had been. Exactly month ago, a friend suggested to me to "cleanse" with coconut oil as she had been experiencing very good results with it. I bought a jar at Trader Joe's for $6 and began that same night. Every night now, I rub about a 1/2 tablespoon amount all over my face in circles for about 10 seconds, including over my eyes, and then put a warm washcloth over my face for 30 seconds. Then I wipe the oil away gently, and repeat the process once more. (This particular method I found on a website called coconut oil and kettle bells.) I do not use or need a makeup remover first. I do not use any treatments, toners, cleansers or lotions before or after the coconut oil "cleansing." Coconut oil is the only thing I use on my face anymore (besides makeup). I do the coconut cleansing every night and in the morning I just rinse my face with water.

At first, my skin was a little dry, but now it seems to have adjusted and I do not experience any tightness or flakiness. While my breakouts have not subsided completely, I find that they do occur less frequently and with far less severity. If I do get a blemish, it is gone in 1-2 days, 3 max. Whereas with my prior routine they could last up to and over a week. Blemishes I have experienced since I started using coconut oil have been small and dried out/healed very quickly. I was told you could put a little extra coconut oil on them overnight to help them heal faster after wiping the rest off of your face. While putting oil on a blemish seems counterintuitive, I think it actually does help.

The coconut oil doesn't sting or irritate my eyes or skin and has a pleasant, subtle scent. It is strange to me to only use one product, let alone one from the pantry, on my face and have it be working out so well, but I'm happy that it has been, so far. I will continue to use coconut oil if the results continue as they have. Coconut oil washing has saved me money and helped my skin improve.

Sorry for the super long review, but I wanted to provide as much info as I could for others who are curious/considering.

One more thing: would not advise using coconut oil to clean your makeup brushes. I usually use whatever I'm using to clean my face on my brushes too. However, because coconut oil is usually a "solid" it is difficult to completely remove and wash off from brushes, and with the coconut oil still on them, they will not work nearly as well (kills fluffiness/buffing/softness).

Update: 2 months after I started coconut oil cleansing, I decided to stop. My skin was breaking out just as frequently as it had before, and the coconut oil alone didn't provide enough moisture for my skin once the weather turned colder. I'm not writing off the idea of coconut oil cleansing completely, but it wasn't some sort of miracle worker for my skin problems. It worked about as well or poorly, depending on the day, as other basic sensitive skin cleansing routines I've tried.

Brilliant for basically EVERYTHING, as everyone testifies!

I discovered it for my psoriasis - it works better and faster than anything the doc prescribed. If you suffer from eczema or psoriasis you should coconut oil.

I'm about to try it as a deodorant - I'll report back.