Kanebo kate mascara base

4.3

on 12/7/2012 11:18:00 PM

I have tried a variety of lash primers, and so far only the Japanese ones have worked on my stick straight Asian lashes. My attempts with Lancome's failed miserably, with my lashes completely straightening after I apply the base. I expect my base to HOLD my curls created with my curler, not weigh it back down! by the time I put on my mascara over the Lancome, it's straight again.

Aside from the KATE one, I have also tried Canmake and Majolica. I think I'd rate KATE's between Majolica and Canmake, with Majolica's Last Bone (I used the white fiber version). KATE's is very similar to Lash Bone, both held my curl well but I think Lash Bone might've been a little better at the curl holding. However, KATE's mascara base was better at fanning out my lashes. Canmake's is nice too, but I find that aside from curl holding, it didn't do very much lengthening or volumizing.

In any case, I really like the KATE mascara base and plan on buying a few backups. Since it's cheaper than Majolica's version, I'm very willing to stick with it!

on 11/16/2012 7:13:00 PM

This was so bad, but so bad, that I tossed it after about 2 weeks. It made absolutely no difference on my lashes (no added lenght, volume, curl hold, nothing really) and in fact made my mascaras look worse thant they did on their own. It was also very hard to remove, even with an oil-based cleanser.
On my quest for a decent mascara base, so far the best one I've found is Lancome, although it's by no means amazing. I'm still looking...

on 10/12/2012 3:20:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I HAVE USED JUST ABOUT EVERY EYELASH PRIMER OUT THERE. FROM DIOR TO ESTE LAUDER, CLINIQUE, SHISEIDO TO MANY OTHERS. I HAVE TO SAY THAT OUT OF THE MANY THAT I HAVE TRIED I LOVE THIS ONE. I HAVE STRAIGHT THIN EYELASHES AND I HAVE TRIED TO STEP AWAY FROM USING WATERPROOF MASCARAS BECAUSE OF HOW DAMAGING THEY ARE TO YOUR LASHES AND HARD TO GET OFF, THIS IS AWESOME!!!!! IT HOLDS A CURL LIKE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE AND ITS EASY TO COME OFF. IT MAKES MY LASHES LOOK LIKE FAKE LASHES. I LOVE IT. HAVE TO SAY THAT THIS IS MY HG OF MASCARA PRIMERS. FOR ANY OF YOU WHO HAVE STRAIGHT EYELASHES THAT CANT HOLD A CURL AND HAVE SHORT THIN LASHES, TRY THIS MASCARA BASE. I PROMISE YOU THAT YOU WILL ALSO LOVE IT.

on 7/27/2012 11:10:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

For those of you haveing a hard time removing this product or any eyemake-up forget the over the counter stuff - put some olive oil on a cotton pad. This will get it off with no problem.

on 4/5/2012 1:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HG!!!! Having never used a base before, maybe i'm not the best to comment but THIS IS AWESOME. especially the new base which comes in black fibres!!!!!! HELLO, NO CLUMPS, NO MESS JUST MAGICALLY ELONGATED LASHES WITH A FLICK OF THE WAND! It does show a bit of white at the tip of your newly luscious lashes but just a dash of regular mascara will do the trick for me or gently rub in some black shadow! AWESOME <3

on 12/31/2011 2:27:00 AM

So far, I have not found a mascara base that can replace this and whenever I purchase these things, I tend to get an extra as well even though one tube lasts me ages. Anyhow, a new mascara base has been released. I believe the formula is the same but instead of white fibres ~ you've now got BLACK FIBRES.

To be honest, there's no difference to me whether its white or black as going over my lashes with a mascara covers it all black anyhow. I do really like this base though because its the only thing that's light and doesn't weigh it down, hence undoing my lash curls, it thickens and lengthens but still looks very natural. My lashes are not that long, neither do I have them very luscious; really, they're just very decent lashes but Kate's mascara base really helps prep and prime them so they look pretty amazing, almost like I've got falsies on, after mascara.

HG. Nothing can replace this. (I recently purchased a Coffret D'or mascara base. But somewhere in me, I know I'm going to keep turning to KATE because of the price and quality of this product). You can get these at Asian drugstores or Adambeauty.com - he's certainly selling them at the best price possible online.

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

got the newest or reformulated? version of the base...the entire tube is white...this base actually keeps my lashes keep its curl and it also gives me volume...was gonna buy the ysl but so glad i got this for half the amt!!!

on 12/15/2011 7:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

Definitely my HG mascara base/primer. LOVE this stuff!
As stated by others, be careful to apply mainly to the tips, and not close to the base (I've had a few days where those fibers poke into my eye). I didn't like the shiseido base as it was hard to cover (could still see the gray) and it made my lashes stiff, which I hate.
I've never had any trouble covering this base, as all mascaras I've tried over have gone on smoothly and covered the white well. It holds the curl well as yes, I'm asian and one of my eyes' lashes are always straight although the other curls on its own.
I always get compliments and get asked if wearing falsies (my lashes are fairly long on their own).
I use an oil-based remover (by Sonia Kashuk) and don't have any trouble removing this. I realize this may be a problem for faces with an oilier complexion as mine tends to be dry.
I usually stockpile on this stuff through eBay as it's not available in the states. But it's still way cheaper than some HE bases and I look for someone who offers free shipping.

on 6/26/2011 3:25:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

MY HG MASCARA BASE!!!
I don't exactly have short straight Asian lashes as I'm only half-Asian but in no way are my lashes long and lush like the average Caucasian.

But...as soon as I put on my Kate Mascara Base and a good mascara- I have people asking me what false eyelashes I'm wearing! The wondrous fibrelicious powers of this base can make an average mascara seem amazing and an amazing mascara heavenly. As I don't have that much cash to throw around, I'll usually pair this mascara with one of Majolica Majorca's comb mascaras which I LOVE.

The trick is to build up the fibres from the ends after increasing the volume between your lashes, don't pile it on too heavily at the base of your lashes otherwise the fibres will get stuck in your eyes and you'll be annoyed all day and in pain and unapproachable. But really once you get the hang of the application you'll be wondering how you ever lived without it and stockpiling it (if you're not located in a place where it's readily available).

I'll be wearing a mascara with this base all night long and being naughty and not washing off my eye-makeup and it'll still hold the curl and length! I've even done a very unhygienic and crazy experiment of leaving my based-up mascara on for 3 days and they were still standing to attention and curly! This stuff is amazing and all my friends use it and love it because of my raves.

I really don't get all these whiny reviews about a perfectly amazing product! If you're having difficulties removing the stuff then instead of bashing the product which is doing its job of prolonging the curl of your lashes and making them beautiful, why don't you re-evaluate your cleansing routine and products!?

I know it's a bit of a pain to get out but a good cleansing oil will take the stuff right off in seconds and believe me I am heavy handed with my waterproof mascara and bases. I recommend Shiseido's TISS deep off oil and Kose Softymo's cleansing oils followed by a foaming cleanser but any average cleansing oil should do. If it's pulling at your lashes then invest in a lash care essence such as MAVALA double lash or Canmake's Lash Care Essence which are both very inexpensive and as I re-iterated- embrace the cleansing oil! A gentle rub of oil on the lashes shouldn't take out your lashes, don't get me wrong I'll see one or two fall out occasionally but who doesn't!?

The only justified complaint about this product are the fibres irritating your eyes which I get too (rarely but it does occur) and it's particularly annoying if you're wearing lenses. In that case I try to be more careful with my application and just relax in the fact that my lashes look great!

So yes overall HG HG HG HG! Try it! If you don't like it, try my advice! If you don't like it after that then let me know any alternatives to this base because if you can find something better I want it too!

on 1/23/2011 5:24:00 AM

Got this mascara base after I read about it on a forum. It isn't too bad but doesn't hold a curl as well as Shiseido's nourishing mascara base. I use this after Shiseido's base on only the ends of the lashes. The fibers of this base sticks to the Shiseido one and make my lashes appear even longer. With the right eyelash curler pad (eyelash curler pads on eyelash curler makes a big difference to the curl achieved) and right mascara , my lashes sometimes are so curled and lengthen they practically nearly touch the brow bone of my eyes, and I'm Asian (I don't have very long lashes, but good lash curler pad+ Shieseido base + kate base + good mascara makes this happen) !

Popular Mascaras