April 17, 2014 | 1041 users online

Foundations - Dermablend - Smooth Indulgence long lasting matte finish

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2012 10:17:00 PM More reviews by alexgarza

This product is the best foundation I have ever used. I have used it for 1 year straight now and it is completely amazing! I see that everyone has strong opinions on this foundation, I think you need to be professional matched and have a consultant tell you how to apply it. This can be completely full coverage or as sheer as a bb cream it just depends on the application. I personally get great coverage from it. The finish for me is a natural glow but I don't get too shiny. The tube lasts a good 4-6 mos too! I have never had a more perfect match from foundation either. I will leave it at this- I work in the business and I have only had 1 person tell me they didn't want to purchase it in the past 2 years!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 7:16:00 PM More reviews by hobosmiles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm not sure if this foundation is packaged differently in different countries, but in America, it's just a white tube and is simply called "Smooth Indulgence Foundation SPF 20"

From the Ulta website, the company boasts "Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation gives twice the coverage of a classic foundation. It's lightweight, blendable texture gives up to 16 hours of wearability with Setting Powder. The result is a radiant flawless complexion leaving skin smooth and comfortable all day long."

First claim: Double the coverage of a classic foundation.
To be honest, I have fairly good skin. I don't require a heavy foundation- but I like them. If I'm going to make the effort to put on foundation, I want my skin to look like a china doll. The claim "double the coverage" is absolutely ridiculous. While it does have fairly good coverage, concealer will still be required for under eye circles and blemishes, a step I didn't want to have to take.

Second Claim: "Lightweight, blendable texture"
I expected thick, gloopy texture, and that's definitely what I got. Directly after being squeezed out, the foundation has the consistency of a thick custard. Rubbing it into the skin to warm it up causes it to thin a bit. I've tried applying it several different ways, and the best way it to use fingers. Brushes can work, but blending takes forever and a day. The warmth of fingers make it easier to blend. I suggest rolling and patting fingers to really make it sink it.

Third Claim: "16 hours of wearibility"
This is the major problem with the foundation- 16 hours is a joke. I have normal skin thats more on the dry side. I have absolutely no problem with most foundations lasting on my skin, except with this one! I find it fading after 3 hours, gathering around pores, fine lines, and dry patches. It disappears completely around my nose and creases terribly around my mouth- and I'm 18... lol. Redness begins to peek through. It just... deteriorates. Honestly, I look like I have a disease. I've tried setting it with so many different powders and none of them help. ): boo.

Fourth Claim: "radiant and flawless complexion"
Obviously it doesn't keep the complexion flawless, but it doesn't keep it radiant either. I find it strange that a matte finish foundation would give the claim of "radiant". It's really hard to describe the finish of it- it's not just matte, it's flat. Unrealistic, boring and slightly ashy looking. It may be that the foundation is not completely perfect for my skin tone, but when I originally but it on it looks great. As it deteriorates, it seems to oxidize grey? It's really hard to explain, but it's not a good look./

The first hour or so of wear is fantastic- high coverage, with a nice matte finish. Unfortunately the foundation deteriorates into a hot mess. I'd recommend this only for short amounts of time- which is a waste of time. Why take time to apply and blend it if it doesn't last?

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make it last longer, shoot them my way! I'd love to be able to use this! Thanks!(:

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2012 7:34:00 PM More reviews by beth76

I love this foundation!!!! I have melasma and in the summer months it gets worse. I walked into ULTA right after a beach vacation and my patches were horrible, and one of the girls at the counter helped me find what I needed to help cover them. I purchased the foundation, concealer and setting powder and have been in love ever since. I apply it with brushes and put the concealer on after the foundation and it looks great. Nothing will cover the brown patches completely, but this does so without feeling heavy and thick. It also has a nice finish to it, not too matte, but a pretty refined polished look!
It holds up to humidity and after a 12 hr work day it still looks great with just one powder touch up.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2012 5:26:00 PM More reviews by gladlizette

i used this for a couple years.. but then the formula changes and was hesitant about repurchasing it. I ended up giving in and bought it. its a total dissapoinment to me. Its not as full coverage as it was it made my skin breakout and i was shiny and oily by the end of the day :(

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by rosalynxrawr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was really hoping this would be an amazing foundation, but I found it to be nothing special. It's very thick, and I found it difficult to blend with a brush or sponge. I had to use my fingers to really spread it evenly over my skin. It also claims to have full coverage for uneven skin tone and minor acne scars, but it really didn't cover mine. I did love the matte finish and can see how this could look awesome on some, but I feel that you would need to have clear and scar-free skin for this to look good. It wasn't worth the price for me...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2011 2:09:00 PM More reviews by simi531

OK, so i found a sample pack of this at marshalls for 10.00. I knew it was a pretty good price b/c i remember looking to buy this a few years ago but found it too expensive. And I figured that if it did not work there was nothing to lose. Anyway, I read all the reviews here to find out the best way to use it. My skin is dry right now from over using acne products and it has redness and scabs from healing blemishes. Sounds pretty, right?! Anyway, just tried this today. No primer, but I did use a brush that I had from bare escentuals products that I used years ago. Thanks for all of the tips! Definitely need to use the brush to make it blend well. I also mixed it with a little moisturizer before putting it on my face. That really helped too. I absolutely love this stuff!! I go back and forth between using foundation and not wearing any b/c I am never sure if they break me out and I could never find a great color match. But I desperately needed to wear one now b/c of the condition of my skin. I mixed the natural beige and nude beige of the dermablend and the color seemed light at first, but after a little bronzer it is perfect (I have blonde hair and blue eyes - I get a golden tan in summer. Sometimes lightly burn). This stuf is unbelievable. No redness, no blotchiness. Still have the dry patches, but they are barely noticable. The kit also came with the dusting powder but i will probably only use that after my skin is a little less dry. So far so good. i hope that it wont break me out but i will update to let you know. I also dont know about the staying power yet b/c I have only had it on for an hour. I was so excited that this actually worked though that I had to come and post! Now I will have to pay full price b/c I am sure that I will never find it at marshalls again! I may go back to get the other kit that was a darker color to use when the weather is warmer and i get a tan. Definitely a repurchase. This is a first absolute rebuy for me with any makeup!

rated 1 of 5 on 11/1/2011 7:30:00 PM More reviews by ElleMartini

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I agree with everything the nxyal had written. I'm writing only to add to the ratings in hopes of saving someone else the time and money in ordering this foundation.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2011 2:35:00 AM More reviews by Juliamoore

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

I started Retin A on my skin after everything else failed. If you went through a purging stage you will know how ugly and impossible to cover those break outs are. I am breaking out in red hive like rashes on my forehead, cysts on my chin, a ton of white heads all over cheeks, plus I have black heads all over my nose and orange peel skin on my cheeks. Oh did I mention scar picks and boxing scars on the apples of my cheeks.
I have accumulated a collection of FD: GA Liquid Silk (love for winter), Revlon ColorStay (doesn't transferon white collars of my shirts ), MUFE Velvet Mat (summertime fave), Lancome Ultra (my HG before the breakout), B&B Liole (after laser treatments), Korres Mineral FD (everyday but too light for my break outs now) and a dozen of others that I returned.
NOTHING, I mean literally, NOTHING , could cover my scars before. I guess over years I got used to the idea of never seeing my face poreless and even -toned (Oh, forgot to mention my rosacea). I saw the starter kit at Winners for $10 and since I just enjoy experimenting,so I bought it.
I used it the 1st time without a primer - I went and bought the 2nd kit. 2nd time I used it with Lancome primer and Benefit Hello Flawless powder applied with an angled blush brush before a party and I cried - It was cruel in a way, I saw my face the way it would have been now if I was lucky to have a good skin. It literally erased my scars, hid pores, evened out my moon surface face like I had healthy skin.
I think it is a medical grade concealer rather than a FD. It has no smell, thick cream like texture, but it feels light and not heavy at all.
I recommend squeezing some on your fingers, rub them to warm it up and start patting on your face (not rubbing or spreading - it is too thick). Watch the magic unfolds in front of your eyes - I usually take my Sephora Platinum FD Brush # 56 to polish it more and buff it in my dialated pores. I recommend setting it with a powder to make the results longer (I love Benefit Hello Flawless it adds the final oompf). After that I smile - I love my look in the mirror.
Here are some cons:
- color selection is, well, poor - 2 in each category: light, medium, deep= 6 colors only.
- transfers on clothes upon contact (dont' rub on your beau's dark suit he won't be happy).
- full coverage will matt you out, I need to use my Laguna bronzer that I normally skip but otherwise u will look flat. Also a highlighter and a blush.
- not a good choice if u r looking for a FD to hide minor scarring or just a couple of spots here and there, u will find it too much.
- no SPF - potographs beautifully but u will need to use a SS underneath
But when I have a date or a going out night when u will use anything and everything - I will use as my secret weapon. :-)

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/3/2011 11:33:00 PM More reviews by jennbetancur

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I loveee the coverage of this foundation. I have oily skin and lots of acne scarring. this product does a great job of hiding my acne scars but my face does look super oily after an hour. then i realized i wasn't using a setting powder. With the setting powder i didnt have to blot until after 8 hours of use. The best thing is that this is the only foundation that doesnt make me break out. So yes i do have to blot after a couple of hours but its all worth it bc of the great coverage of my acne scars

rated 2 of 5 on 7/9/2011 11:19:00 PM More reviews by jess2001

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product was just okay for me. I felt like it settled in my expression lines and I'm only 25, that doesnt happen when I use my revlon photoready. It does have great coverage but I felt towards the middle of the day it began to look cakey. Im taking this back to the store and still on the search for my ideal foundation.