October 1, 2014 | 1891 users online

Foundations - Dermablend - Smooth Indulgence long lasting matte finish

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2013 7:59:00 PM More reviews by lydial

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

*GREAT FOUNDATION FOR MELASMA SUFFERERS*

Hi.

OK so, i've ranted and raved about various other foundations in the past. BUT, i've come full circle. I have the worst melasma in the world, and while i'm working on it (and totally chucked the bathroom full of foundation and went fully RMS coconut oil super natural minimal makeup line in an attempt to embrace and heal my skin - thought it was my HG but not enuf coverage)....I've gone back to where I began many many years ago - DERMABLEND.

why? because melasma gets so much worse with the sun, and only hardcore physical sunblocks help. dermablend has really good coverage and spf performance.

**this is not the same as the limited range of crappy vichy/dermablend sold at CVS**

i went to ULTA and was so pleased to see that dermablend has a great range of shades now, and multiple formulations. i use this smooth indulgence in wheat and caramel - super yellow-y and great for slightly tan caucasian summer skin. it makes me look pretty good. doesn't break me out (and i have really persistent adult acne issues around the chin and nose) it's heavy coverage, but if you buff with a sponge/cloth/brush you can get it to whatever level you want. but this isn't for girls who want light coverage. this is the big guns. for people who want to cover their skin. that said, it's not off-puttingly cakey or uncomfortable. i really really feel confident and protected in this foundation. it's a great choice for people who need to even out their complexion and protect from the sun. none of those stupid BB creams or regular foundations "with spf" cut it if you have a serious issue. anyway, bravo dermablend, thanks for the mega foundation with great range and formulation and performance. lasts all day. doesn't oxidize noticeably on me -- way better than cover blend and cover FX (which i hate!!!! oxidizes like crazy!!!) i will re-purchase and have already bought additional shades in anticipation of fall. and cuz im like an ocd prepper when it comes to foundations. **SIDE NOTE: use in conjunction with la mer concealer in #2, which for some reason really covers brownish melasma well. it's super opaque but not cakey, and is the best shade of pink correcting foundation for brown spots that i have found yet - just a tip for you melasma sufferers, i know it's incredibly frustrating to find the right solution

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by ColdFire

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really like this foundation! I was looking for a full coverage, long-lasting foundation that didn't look or feel too mask-like. When I apply this foundation with a damp blending sponge, that's exactly what I get. It covers my old acne scars, any redness, and current blemishes very well, I only need a small bit of concealer on the truly bad blemishes.
As other reviews have mentioned, and the reason this gets a 4 rather than a 5, this can settle into pores or imperfections if you don't use a primer. However, if you use a primer and set it with a good powder, it will last all day with minimal settling. I apply it at 7am and have some oil breakthrough by midday, but my skin is oily and this is normal for other foundations I've used. The coverage lasts all day and you need a longwear makeup remover to take it off completely.
I'd recommend this to someone who already uses a good primer and is looking for a longwear, full coverage foundation. They have a good range of colors so you should be able to find a match.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/15/2013 2:21:00 AM More reviews by cmcmonigle

I really wanted to love this foundation after watching reviews of it on YouTube. I have never made a review about a product before but every time I put this foundation on I find myself going through what I would say about it so here it is: PROS: awesome coverage! This foundation covers my very red skin around my nostrils and any acne spots I have going on. It does match my skin tone very nicely and there is a wide variety of shades to choose from. CONS: although this makeup looks flawless when you put it on it only last for maybe three hours before it starts to settle into every imperfection. It almost just starts to melt and sit on top of your skin. You can literally wipe it off in one swipe and don't dare touch your clothes or phone to your face. I have tried it with different moisturizers, no moisturizers, different primers including my smash box and too faced ones, foundation powders and setting powders and oil controlling powders. Nothing makes this make up stay on! I fell asleep one day and when I woke up my boyfriend commented on how oily my face was. I don't have super oily skin just a little around my nose but this makeup! Man, I can't stress how big of a disappointment it is because it really does go on so beautifully. But since it does have great pigment to it I kept it for a powerful concealer. Also, if you are sensitive to sunscreen you might want to avoid this product because I know anything above SPF 15 breaks me out.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/1/2013 8:26:00 AM More reviews by sargolix

I love this product ...!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2012 8:14:00 PM More reviews by Charligurl7

Great coverage with a great feel. Not too heavy at all and enough color to cover my acne scaring and redness. If you have visible pores you will need a good primer because this will sink into them if not. (I prefer Too Faced Primed and Poreless)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/2/2012 10:17:00 PM More reviews by alexgarza

This product is the best foundation I have ever used. I have used it for 1 year straight now and it is completely amazing! I see that everyone has strong opinions on this foundation, I think you need to be professional matched and have a consultant tell you how to apply it. This can be completely full coverage or as sheer as a bb cream it just depends on the application. I personally get great coverage from it. The finish for me is a natural glow but I don't get too shiny. The tube lasts a good 4-6 mos too! I have never had a more perfect match from foundation either. I will leave it at this- I work in the business and I have only had 1 person tell me they didn't want to purchase it in the past 2 years!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2012 7:16:00 PM More reviews by hobosmiles

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm not sure if this foundation is packaged differently in different countries, but in America, it's just a white tube and is simply called "Smooth Indulgence Foundation SPF 20"

From the Ulta website, the company boasts "Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Foundation gives twice the coverage of a classic foundation. It's lightweight, blendable texture gives up to 16 hours of wearability with Setting Powder. The result is a radiant flawless complexion leaving skin smooth and comfortable all day long."

First claim: Double the coverage of a classic foundation.
To be honest, I have fairly good skin. I don't require a heavy foundation- but I like them. If I'm going to make the effort to put on foundation, I want my skin to look like a china doll. The claim "double the coverage" is absolutely ridiculous. While it does have fairly good coverage, concealer will still be required for under eye circles and blemishes, a step I didn't want to have to take.

Second Claim: "Lightweight, blendable texture"
I expected thick, gloopy texture, and that's definitely what I got. Directly after being squeezed out, the foundation has the consistency of a thick custard. Rubbing it into the skin to warm it up causes it to thin a bit. I've tried applying it several different ways, and the best way it to use fingers. Brushes can work, but blending takes forever and a day. The warmth of fingers make it easier to blend. I suggest rolling and patting fingers to really make it sink it.

Third Claim: "16 hours of wearibility"
This is the major problem with the foundation- 16 hours is a joke. I have normal skin thats more on the dry side. I have absolutely no problem with most foundations lasting on my skin, except with this one! I find it fading after 3 hours, gathering around pores, fine lines, and dry patches. It disappears completely around my nose and creases terribly around my mouth- and I'm 18... lol. Redness begins to peek through. It just... deteriorates. Honestly, I look like I have a disease. I've tried setting it with so many different powders and none of them help. ): boo.

Fourth Claim: "radiant and flawless complexion"
Obviously it doesn't keep the complexion flawless, but it doesn't keep it radiant either. I find it strange that a matte finish foundation would give the claim of "radiant". It's really hard to describe the finish of it- it's not just matte, it's flat. Unrealistic, boring and slightly ashy looking. It may be that the foundation is not completely perfect for my skin tone, but when I originally but it on it looks great. As it deteriorates, it seems to oxidize grey? It's really hard to explain, but it's not a good look./

The first hour or so of wear is fantastic- high coverage, with a nice matte finish. Unfortunately the foundation deteriorates into a hot mess. I'd recommend this only for short amounts of time- which is a waste of time. Why take time to apply and blend it if it doesn't last?

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make it last longer, shoot them my way! I'd love to be able to use this! Thanks!(:

rated 5 of 5 on 6/24/2012 7:34:00 PM More reviews by beth76

I love this foundation!!!! I have melasma and in the summer months it gets worse. I walked into ULTA right after a beach vacation and my patches were horrible, and one of the girls at the counter helped me find what I needed to help cover them. I purchased the foundation, concealer and setting powder and have been in love ever since. I apply it with brushes and put the concealer on after the foundation and it looks great. Nothing will cover the brown patches completely, but this does so without feeling heavy and thick. It also has a nice finish to it, not too matte, but a pretty refined polished look!
It holds up to humidity and after a 12 hr work day it still looks great with just one powder touch up.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2012 5:26:00 PM More reviews by gladlizette

i used this for a couple years.. but then the formula changes and was hesitant about repurchasing it. I ended up giving in and bought it. its a total dissapoinment to me. Its not as full coverage as it was it made my skin breakout and i was shiny and oily by the end of the day :(

rated 3 of 5 on 1/18/2012 4:43:00 PM More reviews by rosalynxrawr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was really hoping this would be an amazing foundation, but I found it to be nothing special. It's very thick, and I found it difficult to blend with a brush or sponge. I had to use my fingers to really spread it evenly over my skin. It also claims to have full coverage for uneven skin tone and minor acne scars, but it really didn't cover mine. I did love the matte finish and can see how this could look awesome on some, but I feel that you would need to have clear and scar-free skin for this to look good. It wasn't worth the price for me...