L'Oreal Voluminous in Carbon Black

3.5

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This makes my lash look great and club ready! I look like a diva when I put this stuff on.

This mascara is ok. It does the job it says it does. In my opinion the original Loreal volumonous is better.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Edit (Oct '15)- Just wanted to come back now that I've bought a second tube of this. It's definitely better with fewer clumps. Goes on easily and very black. Best drugstore mascara I've tried.

Edit - I've grown to like this after using it all summer. It did dry out somewhat and became less clumpy. (I suspect I have a defective tube because the wand pulls out very loosely-hopefully the next one I buy will be better). The thing I really love about it is how black it is. It gives major impact with just one coat and really makes my eyes pop. You would have to go to Dior Blackout or YSL in order to get this dark inky black. I haven't found it in any other drugstore mascara and I've tried many. So I'm sticking with this as it's one of the better drugstore mascaras I've found.

I expected to like this mascara because it's been around forever. But it's just ok. It's very wet and clumpy...the brush is loaded with clumps as soon as you pull it out. So it goes on unevenly with lots of clumps and takes alot of working through to make my lashes look good, which is something I dislike in a mascara. But I do like how dark and inky black it is, and it does hold the curl of my lashes all day. I will stick with this for now in the hope that it dries out somewhat and becomes easier to use.

This mascara is honestly the best one I have ever used! I literally buy so many mascara but this one has been the best one I have ever tried. I don't have many lashes and they're fairly small but this mascara really makes it pop and shows you have nice long lashes. It doesn't make it clumpy or stuck together. I recommend girls to buy this, I already finished like 2! LADIES, GET THIS!

Alright, so, I'm extremely picky about mascaras. I have super oily eyelids, a tendency for my eyes to be watery, and overall super sensitive and finicky eyes and lashes, so finding a mascara that works is nothing short of a miracle.

My go-to HG is Maybelline's Full n' Soft (the regular one, not waterproof, although I have that also and it's amazing as well), and I've been buying mascara after mascara trying to find others that work just as wonderfully, so I can have a nice mascara wardrobe. The large majority of the numerous drugstore mascaras I've tested flaked off onto my cheeks in excess, and were smudgy, and I was feeling majorly out of luck. With an almost-resigned sigh, I picked up the Voluminous Carbon Black due to hearing of its relative cult-status, and now I can really appreciate how popular it is.

I love the traditional bristle wand, as I largely prefer natural looking brushes to the popular silicone ones you see everywhere. It easily and generously coats lashes in the inkiest, darkest black I have *ever* seen, and even though I'm blessed with naturally long and thick lashes, it gives them that true falsie look. In this summer heat I wore it and experienced zero flaking or smudging - therefore it passes all my "tests".

Please get this. If you love drama and glam for your lashes, you won't be disappointed.

(for the record: I have thick, straight lashes. I have been using this mascara for the last 7 months, and my tube is on its way out.)

Pros:
I actually didn't like this as much at first. The formula at first is a bit too wet I think, but as it ages a little, the formula thickens up. (I have heard people suggest leaving the cap loosened for a few days.) After it thickened, I could easily get clumps out. Do make sure the wand isn't loaded up with too much product.
I like the volume this mascara gives my lashes.
I generally prefer larger, fiber brushes like this one to the ones with short, rubber bristles.
No eye irritation (a common problem for me, especially with Revlon mascaras)
No flakes

Cons:
Though this didn't flake, but it did smear under my eyes. I do have oily skin, so I might attribute it to that, but not all formulas do this to me. It also does not help my lashes hold a curl particularly well. My current remedy for both counts, until I use this up, is to use a thin coat of waterproof mascara on top to lock it in place. My current pairing for this is this mascara, the l'oreal voluminous carbon black + the voluminous waterproof version in black. (For a quick comparison, I like the volume of this mascara, the carbon black, and the hold of the waterproof version in black.)

Overall: I have some other mascaras to use after this (that I've already stocked up on) so I wouldn't repurchase this immediately. I might consider trying the waterproof version to help tackle the two major cons I listed. I would probably not recommend this to someone with very oily skin, and/or thin lashes. If you are willing to try some tricks of the trade with this old classic, I do think the volume is worth it!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This mascara is the one that I buy when I can't get myself to splurge on something a little bit more expensive. I really love how dark it is, and I feel as though it goes on pretty evenly. It takes a little bit of manipulation and time to get my lashes to look exactly the way I want them to; however, would mascara at this price wouldn't. I would have to say that my only complaint is that the wand tends to have some excess mascara on it whenever you pull it out. I give this mascara five stars because I think it is the best mascara in its price range.

This gives a nice fanned voluminous look. A little clumpy but not too bad. Long lasting as well.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

i believe this was one of the few mascaras i saw myself repurchasing over the years. it reminds me of the Dior Show/Blackout. its a great drugstore item as paying 30$ plus for what my hubby calls "bat poop"is a bit steep. it gives me lenght and an intense black volume i love. it does wear and sometimes can get under my eyes im going to guess bcuz its so pigmented. but when i add a coat of waterproof im good to go! also the product in the tube dries up pretty quick ;( but for 5$ a tube i cannot really complain...

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Love. This mascara is love. For those of you who care about the way your makeup smells, it does smell a little chemically, but smells don't really bother me at all. When you put it on it's easy to apply and it's a very wet formula. It doesn't get everywhere which I love and the brush is straight and easy to use. When I wore it it gave amazing length! my lashes looked so long and I loved it. It didn't give as much volume as you would expect from it considering it says "voluminous" in the title, but it still gave pretty good volumizing effects. I wore it for over 6 hours with no flaking or smudging and let's not forget its pretty buildable, although you really don't need to build it. Absolutely love this mascara.

Popular Mascaras