Lansinoh Lanolin

4.7

100% pure lanolin

on 5/13/2014 2:40:00 AM

I'm surprised everyone is reviewing this for use on the lips. I got a rec from nail board to use this on my dry, cracking, awful cuticles and it's been like some sort of miracle. I can't even tell you what this had done for my hands and cuticles! I also use it on my feet in the winter and the awful dryness and cracking is relieved. Great stuff, though I haven't tried it for lips.

on 3/31/2014 3:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is nothing short of a miracle for me, my absolute holy grail lip product.

I've had the world's worst dry lips since I was a teenager, and nothing helped - I tried scrubs, creams, balms, oils, Vaseline, even going totally lip-product free, and nothing improved it, some just made it worse. Basically bits of skin were peeling off my lips every day for ten years, to the point where I have a permanent red scar on my lower lip from it bleeding so many times.

Then within days of using Lansinoh morning and night my lips were soft and smooth and not the slightest bit peely! Yes the texture is very thick and sticky but it's more than worth it for the actual MIRACLE this has performed.

I have to keep using it every night, after a couple of nights without it my lips start to get dry again. I never want to be without this product ever again. This is probably the only product I'll ever say that about!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This one is hard to rate in terms of lippies. It has pros and cons. But bottom line, it works and I have bought it again and again.

I first used this when BFing. Thankfully, never had cracked nips but applied this religiously to avoid that horror.

Aside from BFing, works great on cracked hands or feet. I am plagued with dry skin - especially on my heels. When going to get pedicure, before I take my shoes off I'm like... "I know I'm a challenge. I WILL tip you."

Pros: (1) no stinging on dry or cracked skin, (2) works!!! I've tried EVERYTHING!!! (3) fairly easy to find (4) relatively inexpensive

Cons: (1) THICK!!! I can't even think of any skincare product to compare it to b/c it is so thick. Maybe dried out toothpaste or the dried out bits around the neck of a rubber cement container (now that I think about it the smell is kind of like rubber cement). It does warm up with skin contact. It is HARD to get out of the tube it is so thick. I think a pot or tin would be better. It is such a hastle to use that I often find myself reaching for my Aquaphor or Attrac-tain instead (2) STINKS. I HATE the smell of this product. I would have to be really hard-pressed to apply this to my face or lips. The smell does not dissipate IME. (3) The flip top has broken off almost EVERY tube I've ever purchased. And I've purchased 15-20 tubes (I BF 4 children + my dry "tip required" feet). (4) It stains my socks. I also have a suspicion it "breaks down" the cotton b/c they seem to wear out faster. I have certain socks designated as "lanisoh socks".

So as you can see, it has some VERY strong cons but I still buy it b/c NOTHING has ever worked as well as this product for my dry feet/hands.

on 1/30/2014 12:44:00 PM

Give it a chance!
I disliked this at first, because it was heavy and felt like gross vaseline, but now I prefer it over everything!
Pure lanolin is fairly solid at room temp, so you really need to warm it up, either in your hand or on your lips. Once it melts, it goes on like butter. Rub it in nicely, and you'll have soft lips or skin for hours!
I also thought it was breaking me out around my mouth, but it is definitely not doing anything bad. Either it's possible to "get used" to it, or something else was happening.

on 1/15/2014 3:07:00 AM

Meh, this works well enough...kind of a Vaseline on steroids. I It is very thick so it does a good job of sealing in moisture but tends to make the chapping problem worse with long term use. The packaging gets greasy/linty fast but it is obviously designed to sit in a medicine cabinet, not to be toted around. I used up my tube but will not repurchase.

on 12/25/2013 1:31:00 AM

I hate to be "that person"-but I also hate putting this stuff on my lips. It's so thick and sticky, I can barely get it to spread over my chapped lips. I can't stand the feel of it, which is a huge bummer because I now have a big container of it sitting unused. I much prefer Aquaphor, which has a better consistency and keeps my lips soft, even in the cold snowy weather!

on 11/19/2013 4:33:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool

Yes this is a marketed as a treatment for breastfeeding moms with cracked nipples. I kind of wish I would have had this six years ago when I had my son! However I am not BF'ing so I bought this for my lips. Since the Midwest weather has turned colder and more windy, my lips are so chapped! To the point that lip gloss looked beyond awful on and even scrubbing my lips did not work. I would pick and peel at them even - to the point of pain. Not good, I know. But nothing worked! Literally ONE application of this and my lips were soft and smooth - no flakiness, no dryness, not chapped at all, just smooth and soft lips. I tired it on my feet too a few nights ago, put on some socks and next morning my feet felt so soft. It is very thick and kind of greasy, but I do not mind. I absolutely need this for the cold Chicago winters and I will for sure buy this again ~ at least until spring hits again!

on 11/16/2013 10:23:00 PM

The manufacturer of Lansinoh Lanolin is missing a trick by not producing it in a lip-balm-style container and displaying it with other brands' lip balms (such as Vaseline, Chapstick, Carmex, etc.)

I bet more people would buy it that way (certainly more men would!) -- as opposed to the current product placement in the baby/nursing area of a store and the relatively-large purple tube where it's written that the cream is for "sore and cracked nipples"!

(Later, I found it being sold on e bay in tiny 0.25 ounce tubes! But haven't seen those in stores.)

---
I've had unexplained, almost-constant lip chapping/irritation (known as cheilitis) for several years. The condition of my lips will get better and then worse and then a little better, but it's been impossible to get them to the previous normal state of health/normal appearance that my lips were blessed with for most of my life.

Lip inflammation/chapping can be caused by so many things, from food or product allergies to vitamin deficiences or vitamin overdoses to sun damage to cancer to skin infections. I've tried many things, many approaches, and I've learned the things that make them worse -- some foods will, some cleaning products will, some essential oils will, some makeup products will -- so I avoid those.

I've tried many lip balms and ointments. At the start of my cheilitis, I was basically addicted to vaseline/petroleum jelly, but it seemed to be wise for me to wean off of it, and I did so. All other lip products seemed to make my lips worse, perhaps because of ingredients or flavors -- most lip products, even organic and simple ones, have several ingredients that might be irritating, ranging from beeswax to essential oils to colors, shimmer particles, and flavors, and it's hard to pinpoint.

A few months ago, years after developing cheilitis, I developed perioral dermatitis (which can be connected to having a simultaneous bout of cheilitis, but they are not always due to the same cause) and I'm not sure why, but after about a month of having the perioral dermatitis, the condition of my lips suddenly got much worse. I suspect it was caused by having a bad reaction to one of the "dermatologist-recommended" gentle face washes that I was trying, in hopes that it would heal the dermatitis. At their worst, my lips were cracking all over without provocation, bleeding, scabbing, and at times swelling up to twice their size - which was embarrassing in public, physically painful due to their tender nerves, and worrisome.

The only thing that helped turn things around for my lips was putting a tiny bit of plain, full-fat, unflavored organic yogurt on them several times a day (not rinsing it off), especially before bed and after eating. (I also was putting the yogurt on my face once a day as a 20-minute facial mask, to try to treat the perioral dermatitis, which it also helped heal -- to an extent, but not entirely.) Very slowly, my lips improved with using the yogurt several times a day, and it took about a month to get them back to their "normal" (which is not "normal", and is actually flaky and uncomfortable, but at least they are not cracking, bleeding and oozing every day!) chapped / moderate-cheilitis situation where they've basically been for the past few years.

A few weeks ago, I read about pure lanolin and how some people who can't use any other lip products can use this on their lips, to soothe them and moisturize them, so I thought I'd give it a try. It is one of the very few things under the sun that I hadn't tried for my cheilitis.

If you are interested in the background/details of lanolin, you might want to look it up online. I thought this from Wikipedia was interesting: "...studies have shown the durational effect of the emollient (skin smoothing) action produced by lanolin is very significant and lasts for many hours. Lanolin applied to the skin... has been shown to reduce roughness by about 35% after one hour and 50% after two hours, with the overall effect lasting for considerably more than eight hours. Lanolin is also known to form semiocclusive (breathable) films on the skin. When applied daily... for five consecutive days, the positive moisturising effects of lanolin were detectable until 72 hours after final application. Lanolin may achieve some of its moisturising effects by forming a secondary moisture reservoir within the skin. The barrier repair properties of lanolin have been reported to be superior to those produced by both petrolatum and glycerin. ...[L]anolin was shown to be superior to petrolatum in reducing the signs and symptoms of dryness and scaling, cracks and abrasions, and pain and itch, ...[and] significantly superior to petrolatum in assisting the healing of superficial wounds."

Prices at drugstores/supermarkets in my town range from $10 to $14 for a 40 gram tube. On Amazon, I found this in their "subscribe and save" program (which you can order a product through, then cancel or postpone future shipments with no penalties) for $6.79 with free shipping. (And if you order 5 sub & save items together, you get 15% off.)

---
Update - October 2014

Lanolin has really helped my lips this past year. It drastically reduces their flaking, tenderness, reactivity to foods/chemicals/dry air/etc. I usually only have to apply it twice a day and the protection lasts.

Sometimes I still have a minor cheilitis flare-up, often when someone nearby is using a chemical that I react badly to (such as pine-scented cleaning products), but my lips are 90% better than they were, and I'm grateful to have found lanolin!

(Notes:
-I tried it on my cheeks where I have perioral dermatitis, but it did not help with the rash and caused little pimples to form, so I only use it on my lips.
-Some people have a bad reaction to lanolin, so you might do a 48-hour test patch if you have never used it before.)

on 11/5/2013 1:12:00 AM

This stuff is great after a hard core chemical peel! I will never be without it again! I've often thought of telling people who have dry, cracked feet about it, but I like my life so I'll keep my pie hole shut lol Am I the only one who can't stand to see some ugly feet in some cute sandals? Seriously!

on 11/5/2013 12:32:00 AM

This product is 100% lanolin in a little purple tube. Lanolin, if you don't have any allergy to the product, is incredibly beneficial to your skin. It's thick and sticky, but it really does seem to have a healing effect. I use it for so many things...for my cracked cuticles, for lip balm (this is the BEST lip balm, btw), for moisturizer when my skin needs some extra help from Retin-A dryness or recovering from a peel...the list goes on and on.

Some say that the purple tube is a little embarrassing to pull out in public, being that it is intended as a nipple cream...but unless people are looking closely, I really don't think they would ever know. For $9, this is definitely worth a try.

Popular Lip Treatments